• You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29681 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2023 - 02:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 April 2023 - 01:46 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 April 2023 - 01:38 PM, said:

This is standard for SpaceX isn't it? I seem to recall but can't be bothered googling that their last flavour of rocket crashed a few times before they got it right.

At the end of the article:

It's blown up quite a few rockets during testing in the past, a development strategy that's worked well in the long-term.

I'd like SpaceX if not for Elon Musk... he went on Tucker Carlson's show recently:

Elon Musk and Tucker Carlson discussed the urge to have sex, with Musk claiming 'birth control and abortions' could cause civilization to collapse

Demographic experts say Musk's views on population don't fit the facts.

[...]

"I'm sort of worried that hey, civilization, if we don't make enough people to at least sustain our numbers, perhaps increase a little bit, then civilization's going to crumble," [...]

"The old question of like, will civilization end with a bang or a whimper? Well, it's currently trying to end with a whimper in adult diapers, which is depressing as hell."

[... Musk] tweeting in 2022 that "population collapse due to low birth rates is a much bigger risk to civilization than global warming."

But demographic experts disagree, [saying] global birth rates would likely continue to increase this century, before very gradually leveling out

Elon Musk and Tucker Carlson discussed the urge to have sex, with Musk claiming 'birth control and abortions' could cause civilization to collapse (yahoo.com)

... only true if he's not counting non-white or non-affluent nations (and immigration). Counter-counterargument might be that once populations become educated or more affluent the birthrate goes down, so if technological or social advances expand education and nearly eliminate poverty, eventually it will be a major issue. But by that point hopefully we'll have extensive automation + posthumanism.... And of course Musk doesn't bother proposing anything more interesting, like a program to intentionally produce genetically, developmentally, and educationally optimized children to counteract a precipitous decline in population (in which case there would hopefully be ample funding for the children produced through more traditional methods to prevent poverty and provide for their education or posthuman enhancement).

And Musk is creating 'TruthGPT' (as in 'Truth Social') because he thinks the existing AI chatbots have a 'liberal bias'....

But don't worry, he didn't end up getting charged with anything, so he's still legally allowed to own as many guns as he wants. Though I imagine he might want AI to assist him in any mass murder rampage....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 April 2023 - 02:18 PM

#29682 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 April 2023 - 03:28 PM

This is standard for SpaceX isn't it? I seem to recall but can't be bothered googling that their last flavour of rocket crashed a few times before they got it right.

I don't know about SpaceX, but safe bet exploding after 4 minutes is Elon's standard.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29683 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 April 2023 - 05:33 PM

Yearly reminder that COACHELLA is owned and run by a deeply right wing billionaire Republican asshole who funds pro-evangelical Christian shit, charter schools, and a bunch of other heinous shit, and is likely responsible for a LOT of the lobbying that's happening at the federal level of govt.

The irony of a bunch of artists making “fuck the man” music while making a clown ass Republican billionaire even richer in the process who then turns around and funds the very party that creeps towards fascism every week. I also completely understand that’s it’s nearly impossible to avoid these situations but that’s how dysfunctional this system is, it feeds itself on the dime of the oppressed.

There's a reason bands like RATM refuse to play that show, and even returned their fee from the one time they DID play it (the inaugural year, 1999).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29684 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 April 2023 - 05:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 April 2023 - 05:33 PM, said:

Yearly reminder that COACHELLA is owned and run by a deeply right wing billionaire Republican asshole who funds pro-evangelical Christian shit, charter schools, and a bunch of other heinous shit, and is likely responsible for a LOT of the lobbying that's happening at the federal level of govt.

The irony of a bunch of artists making "fuck the man" music while making a clown ass Republican billionaire even richer in the process who then turns around and funds the very party that creeps towards fascism every week. I also completely understand that's it's nearly impossible to avoid these situations but that's how dysfunctional this system is, it feeds itself on the dime of the oppressed.

There's a reason bands like RATM refuse to play that show, and even returned their fee from the one time they DID play it (the inaugural year, 1999).

[Video title:] Conservatives REACT To Learning Rage Against The Machine Is Political

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 April 2023 - 05:38 PM

#29685 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:03 PM

View Postworry, on 20 April 2023 - 03:28 PM, said:

I don't know about SpaceX, but safe bet exploding after 4 minutes is Elon's standard.

It's petty funny on the live feed when the control room crew start cheering as it blows up.
I get that to a certain extent the launch itself was a 'success' but a minute or so of out of control spin followed by detonation doesn't seem like much of a win.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29686 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 April 2023 - 03:16 PM

Bing's AI chatbot is still incredibly stupid when it comes to simple algebra:

[chatbot:] You are correct. I apologize for the mistake. Here is a corrected example: Let’s take p = 2, q = 2, a = 4 and b = 4. Then a^{p/q} = a^1 = 4, which is equal to b. However, a^{p-1} = a^1 = 4, which is not equal to b. Note that in this case, the condition 1/p + 1/q = 1 is satisfied.
9 of 20 [previous 8 examples were all also wrong]

[me:] In that example 4 actually is equal to b, because b = 4.

[chatbot:] You are correct. I apologize for the mistake. I am unable to provide a valid example for the given conditions. The statement a^{p/q} = b does not imply a^{p-1} = b, even if p, q > 1, 1/p + 1/q = 1, and a, b >= 0.

#29687 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 April 2023 - 03:31 PM

Incidentally, here's a proof that the statement is actually true. It's very simple:

Given: b = a^{p/q} and 1/p+1/q = 1

Multiplying both sides of 1/p+1/q = 1 by p,
1+p/q = p

subtracting 1 from both sides,
p/q = p-1

Therefore a^{p/q} = a^{p-1} = b

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 April 2023 - 03:32 PM

#29688 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 21 April 2023 - 05:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 April 2023 - 07:03 PM, said:

It's petty funny on the live feed when the control room crew start cheering as it blows up.
I get that to a certain extent the launch itself was a 'success' but a minute or so of out of control spin followed by detonation doesn't seem like much of a win.

It was a success that the detonation worked correctly!

#29689 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 April 2023 - 05:32 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 21 April 2023 - 05:13 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 20 April 2023 - 07:03 PM, said:

It was a success that the detonation worked correctly!

Musk’s Starship Launch Blasts Texas City With Dust and Debris

[...] city covered in a grimy cloud of dark brown dust [...] city of Port Isabel, about six miles from the launch site [...] “ended up with a covering of [...] thick[...] sand grain that just landed on everything,” [...] car [...] filmed being smashed up by large pieces of debris

Elon Musk’s Starship Launch Blasts Texas City With Dust and Debris (thedailybeast.com)

... also succeeding at making Earth less inhabitable....

#29690 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:30 AM

I have no tacos.

#29691 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 April 2023 - 01:32 AM

Be the change you want to see in the world re: having tacos.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29692 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 April 2023 - 01:32 AM

Chonky layoff rumors at my company.

#29693 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 April 2023 - 01:42 PM

I had tacos yesterday.
Groove is messed because i may have to have them again and today's tacos cannot possibly live up to the glossy memory of yesterday's tacos.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29694 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 27 April 2023 - 04:24 PM

What is “chonky”?

#29695 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 April 2023 - 04:43 PM

View PostRealGatekeeper1, on 27 April 2023 - 04:24 PM, said:

What is “chonky”?

Big, chunky, throbbing

#29696 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 27 April 2023 - 04:57 PM

Well, I hope you don’t have to worry about your job. Or your friends’ jobs.

#29697 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 April 2023 - 04:38 AM

Tomorrow is fish taco Friday!!!!

Today was looooooong.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#29698 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 28 April 2023 - 04:52 AM

I love fish tacos.

#29699 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 April 2023 - 08:28 AM

View PostRealGatekeeper1, on 28 April 2023 - 04:52 AM, said:

I love fish tacos.

Depends on the serving suggestion. :p

Groove messed with - I received word today that a friend of mine I have known for well over 20 years died yesterday.
She had been sick with cancer for the last couple of years, and her last message last week said it was a matter of weeks.
But it still caught me by surprise.

She'd had breast cancer years ago and it went into remission, but it came back and brought a bunch of friends a couple of years back.
She fought hard and did all the treatments, but eventually it just wasn't working and it was all through her body, so they made the decision a couple of months ago to forego further treatment.

She was down in Canberra and I'm here with my family in Brisbane, but I still wanted to go there in the last few weeks but they asked for minimal traffic. There's a funeral around 13-14 May and I want to get down there, but realistically I probably won't be able to make it, plus there will be plenty of people there so I'd just be one more person for her husband (who I knew before I met her) to deal with, so I will probably go to a memorial they're organising for Brisbane since they came from here, most family and friends are here etc.

Fuck cancer.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 April 2023 - 08:32 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29700 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 28 April 2023 - 08:46 AM

Sorry to hear that. I would never share any of my tacos with cancer.

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook