• You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29661 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 April 2023 - 03:31 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 April 2023 - 06:58 AM, said:

This is a weird mix of MWMG and happy, so bear with me.

My normal Instagram account is private, but I have a second account for a charity challenge I'm doing at the moment for The Trussell Trust. Someone, behind a grey face and meaningless account name, decided to message me on that non-private account with screenshots of my abusive ex's Twitter feed, where some nearly nine years after I left him he (in the past week) is accusing me of being the abusive party, detailing how he was "trapped in the relationship" (he owned both of the places we lived solely, and never let me forget it or missed an opportunity to imply he could throw me out, so that's, um, an interesting take on the actual dynamics of the situation) and "lost his identity and it took him years to get it back" and giving some very twisted examples to paint me as a monster and him as an innocent victim.

I still don't know if I'm completely okay, really. It was a huge shock on a few levels, not least that he's still talking about me nine years later to the point of needing to peddle this narrative, which feels incredibly creepy. I don't talk about him or my experiences at all anymore, except in a circumstance where I'm explaining one of the things that make me very jumpy still. I don't even wish to understand why someone thought it was okay to send that to me, or what their motivation for doing so was. It was also unnerving because there were interactions he described that I recognised and I would never go so far as to say there aren't things I said or did that I'm not ashamed of, or that I would never do or say in normal circumstances. I was often frightened and confused, and occasionally lashed out. I've no wish to excuse the fact I said some very mean things when doing so, but I do think the context of the situation after years of being treated very cruelly and constantly gaslit and lied to is important.

We've also just been getting the house ready to go on the market and have our first viewings of houses we potentially want to buy this weekend. To say Mr Not a Blacksmith and I are running on fumes at this point is an understatement, and so I'm probably a bit shakier than I would usually be as well.

Anyway, the happy bit. For context, oddly it was this ex who introduced me to Star Trek: The Next Generation. I loved it instantly, but it became another thing he could be cruel to me about because I often reacted to the more emotional plot points and characters (I have an abiding love for Deanna Troi, even if she is underserved by the writing, for example - and I always loved the episodes focusing on Data's quest to be more human). So, as much as I loved it, it became another stick to beat me with about being too sensitive and emotional (emotions = weakness was a very clear through line with him). Despite this, it's often been the comfort telly I returned to over the years and it was a feature of the early days after having left, where I watched it again by myself and revelled in all the emotional bits, and it felt like a successful small rebellion.

Spoilered for those who may wish to watch it, but I just watched the penultimate episode of Star Trek: Picard this morning and:

Spoiler

I have just sat and cried like a baby for a good few minutes and it felt like such a catharsis. I don't think I realised how important TNG was to me, and how woven into the fabric of my recovery it truly is until this morning.

Short version: people are sometimes still awful, but TNG is always wonderful.

Dollars to doughnuts, the person who sent you the screenshots was your ex.

I am someone who was married to a person who would scream at me almost at the drop of a hat to get out of the house they owned (with her first ex-husband still on the deed and mortgage).

It's abusive and years of couples therapy didn't stop it (just slowed down the speed at which it would get deployed).

My ex wife spent years talking occasionally about the awfulness of her first ex husband. I don't know fully what went on between them, but I listened to her, consoled her, commiserated, and then eventually, just stoically looked at her because the "years later needing some kind of feedback that's not possible to get" dynamic was corrosively toxic and felt like her anger mattered more than any other emotion or human in her life.

Her first ex became an evil caricature that was there for railing against. I will or have become a similar evil caricature to rail against. Hopefully, the next person to become romantically entangled with her fits her needs or avoids becoming the same discarded evil caricature.

The good news is that being an evil caricature doesn't require my active participation. I have diligently shrunk down communication with her to functionally nothing in a slow fade out that includes restrictions in social media to eventual full spectrum blocking in the future (done this way to avoid any sudden conflicts). My actual friends know that I do not want updates or them to take action regarding her beyond "stop inviting her to things".

Even on the off chance the anon isn't your ex, I would still block and never talk to them again.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29662 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 April 2023 - 04:58 PM

In fairness Amph I also use you as someone to rail against when things don't go my way.

E.g. I stub my toe "oh for goodness sake Amph, why?" etc
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29663 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 April 2023 - 09:05 PM

Isn't that Broods position?

#29664 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 April 2023 - 12:31 AM

A friend from South Africa got a work visa to work in an academic research lab in Boston. She has worked there 3 years. Today the lab head said he is flying to the UK to finalize paperwork on accepting a new position and his lab in the USA will be shuttered. My friend is now going to lose her visa if she can’t find a new job.

Also apparently he recently hired new employees from India and China. How selfish/reckless do you have to be to give people work visas have them uproot their lives and tel them sorry I’ll cutting and running.

Hopefully she can find something soon, I think I know some recruiters who can help her.

#29665 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 16 April 2023 - 06:37 AM

View Postamphibian, on 15 April 2023 - 03:31 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 April 2023 - 06:58 AM, said:

This is a weird mix of MWMG and happy, so bear with me.

My normal Instagram account is private, but I have a second account for a charity challenge I'm doing at the moment for The Trussell Trust. Someone, behind a grey face and meaningless account name, decided to message me on that non-private account with screenshots of my abusive ex's Twitter feed, where some nearly nine years after I left him he (in the past week) is accusing me of being the abusive party, detailing how he was "trapped in the relationship" (he owned both of the places we lived solely, and never let me forget it or missed an opportunity to imply he could throw me out, so that's, um, an interesting take on the actual dynamics of the situation) and "lost his identity and it took him years to get it back" and giving some very twisted examples to paint me as a monster and him as an innocent victim.

I still don't know if I'm completely okay, really. It was a huge shock on a few levels, not least that he's still talking about me nine years later to the point of needing to peddle this narrative, which feels incredibly creepy. I don't talk about him or my experiences at all anymore, except in a circumstance where I'm explaining one of the things that make me very jumpy still. I don't even wish to understand why someone thought it was okay to send that to me, or what their motivation for doing so was. It was also unnerving because there were interactions he described that I recognised and I would never go so far as to say there aren't things I said or did that I'm not ashamed of, or that I would never do or say in normal circumstances. I was often frightened and confused, and occasionally lashed out. I've no wish to excuse the fact I said some very mean things when doing so, but I do think the context of the situation after years of being treated very cruelly and constantly gaslit and lied to is important.

We've also just been getting the house ready to go on the market and have our first viewings of houses we potentially want to buy this weekend. To say Mr Not a Blacksmith and I are running on fumes at this point is an understatement, and so I'm probably a bit shakier than I would usually be as well.

Anyway, the happy bit. For context, oddly it was this ex who introduced me to Star Trek: The Next Generation. I loved it instantly, but it became another thing he could be cruel to me about because I often reacted to the more emotional plot points and characters (I have an abiding love for Deanna Troi, even if she is underserved by the writing, for example - and I always loved the episodes focusing on Data's quest to be more human). So, as much as I loved it, it became another stick to beat me with about being too sensitive and emotional (emotions = weakness was a very clear through line with him). Despite this, it's often been the comfort telly I returned to over the years and it was a feature of the early days after having left, where I watched it again by myself and revelled in all the emotional bits, and it felt like a successful small rebellion.

Spoilered for those who may wish to watch it, but I just watched the penultimate episode of Star Trek: Picard this morning and:

Spoiler

I have just sat and cried like a baby for a good few minutes and it felt like such a catharsis. I don't think I realised how important TNG was to me, and how woven into the fabric of my recovery it truly is until this morning.

Short version: people are sometimes still awful, but TNG is always wonderful.

Dollars to doughnuts, the person who sent you the screenshots was your ex.

I am someone who was married to a person who would scream at me almost at the drop of a hat to get out of the house they owned (with her first ex-husband still on the deed and mortgage).

It's abusive and years of couples therapy didn't stop it (just slowed down the speed at which it would get deployed).

My ex wife spent years talking occasionally about the awfulness of her first ex husband. I don't know fully what went on between them, but I listened to her, consoled her, commiserated, and then eventually, just stoically looked at her because the "years later needing some kind of feedback that's not possible to get" dynamic was corrosively toxic and felt like her anger mattered more than any other emotion or human in her life.

Her first ex became an evil caricature that was there for railing against. I will or have become a similar evil caricature to rail against. Hopefully, the next person to become romantically entangled with her fits her needs or avoids becoming the same discarded evil caricature.

The good news is that being an evil caricature doesn't require my active participation. I have diligently shrunk down communication with her to functionally nothing in a slow fade out that includes restrictions in social media to eventual full spectrum blocking in the future (done this way to avoid any sudden conflicts). My actual friends know that I do not want updates or them to take action regarding her beyond "stop inviting her to things".

Even on the off chance the anon isn't your ex, I would still block and never talk to them again.

I'm really sorry you lived through that Amph, but I am glad you're out of it now and your friends are supporting you.

I suspect you are right - but the account is blocked and I don't have any other way to be contacted by him (or his friends) as far as I'm aware.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#29666 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 April 2023 - 12:59 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 15 April 2023 - 04:58 PM, said:

In fairness Amph I also use you as someone to rail against when things don't go my way.

E.g. I stub my toe "oh for goodness sake Amph, why?" etc

Too many sinful thoughts about cheese...

#29667 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 April 2023 - 01:00 PM

View PostCause, on 16 April 2023 - 12:31 AM, said:

A friend from South Africa got a work visa to work in an academic research lab in Boston. She has worked there 3 years. Today the lab head said he is flying to the UK to finalize paperwork on accepting a new position and his lab in the USA will be shuttered. My friend is now going to lose her visa if she can’t find a new job.

Also apparently he recently hired new employees from India and China. How selfish/reckless do you have to be to give people work visas have them uproot their lives and tel them sorry I’ll cutting and running.

Hopefully she can find something soon, I think I know some recruiters who can help her.

This is really, really tough on the newer people. I'm so sorry for them. Is the lab definitely shut down - as in it's not possible to continue the research with a substitute head researcher?

#29668 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 April 2023 - 02:28 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 April 2023 - 01:00 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 16 April 2023 - 12:31 AM, said:

This is really, really tough on the newer people. I'm so sorry for them. Is the lab definitely shut down - as in it's not possible to continue the research with a substitute head researcher?

That was my first though. Apparently the lab head says he thinks his research is now an outlier at the institute and no one will want to pick it up. It seems odd to me but hopefully it does remain a possible

#29669 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:24 PM

Tough day. Want to hide from tomorrow. Beverley Hills Cop and a few large G&Ts helping me to bury my head in the sand.

*does the Beverley Hills Cop theme tune*
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#29670 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:34 PM

Crazy Frog version?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29671 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:36 PM

Original. I'm a 1980s kid. The Crazy Frog is an affront to good taste.

#29672 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:43 PM

I watched Beverley Hills Cop II and III over the Easter break. Is it just a sign that I am white and middle aged if I think Taggart is the character that makes the movies?

#29673 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 April 2023 - 12:56 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 18 April 2023 - 09:43 PM, said:

I watched Beverley Hills Cop II and III over the Easter break. Is it just a sign that I am white and middle aged if I think Taggart is the character that makes the movies?

The proof that Taggart makes the movies (he's the only straight man besides Lt. Bogomil, who is not on screen as much as Taggart) is in the 3rd film where John Ashton/Taggart is not present and Axel and Rosewood can't make the format work as well as it does in BHC1 and 2 without Taggart.

Then good news is that for the 4th film (BEVERLY HILLS COP: AXEL FOLEY), all three are back together and Eddie will once again share the screen with both Rosewood AND Taggart (and Paul Reiser is even reprising his role Det. Friedman of the Detroit police).

Here they all are on set!

Attached File  63356119-11304693-Round_four_Eddie_Murphy_is_back_on_the_set_of_Beverly_Hills_Cop_-a-38_1665523083798.jpg (102.78K)
Number of downloads: 0 Attached File  judge-reinhold-john-ashton-beverly-hills-cop-4-set-1662371907.jpg (52.71K)
Number of downloads: 0

Also, I want to let you know that these movies are DEEP comfort movies for me. I can put them on if I'm a bad way and they ALWAYS cheer me up. So cheers!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 April 2023 - 01:02 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29674 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 April 2023 - 02:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 April 2023 - 12:56 PM, said:

Then good news is that for the 4th film (BEVERLY HILLS COP: AXEL FOLEY), all three are back together and Eddie will once again share the screen with both Rosewood AND Taggart (and Paul Reiser is even reprising his role Det. Friedman of the Detroit police)....

My level of skepticism at this threequel is so deep and vast as to encompass all the Eddie Murphy blu-rays sitting in 3-for-$10 Walmart bins around north america, but hey, MAVERICK and AVATAR 2 both managed to pleasantly surprise me so, hope, she springs eternal.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29675 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 April 2023 - 03:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 April 2023 - 02:59 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 April 2023 - 12:56 PM, said:

Then good news is that for the 4th film (BEVERLY HILLS COP: AXEL FOLEY), all three are back together and Eddie will once again share the screen with both Rosewood AND Taggart (and Paul Reiser is even reprising his role Det. Friedman of the Detroit police)....

My level of skepticism at this threequel is so deep and vast as to encompass all the Eddie Murphy blu-rays sitting in 3-for-$10 Walmart bins around north america, but hey, MAVERICK and AVATAR 2 both managed to pleasantly surprise me so, hope, she springs eternal.

To be fair to Eddie, stuff like DOLEMITE IS MY NAME really showed me that Eddie still has the BHC-level comedy in him. Hell, he's the ONLY good thing about YOU PEOPLE. COMING 2 AMERICA is not as terrible as people said it was, but while it wasn't exactly good either, the earnestness in Murphy was present in it. He's got lots of energy. Even in TOWER HEIST I thought he was great.

You will also have the likes of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Mark Pellegrino, and Kevin Bacon classing up the actor end of things...and Harold Faltermeyer (who's frigging 70, and his only score since 2010 was TOP GUN MAV) come out of mostly retirement to score it...

I have faith, but then I love BHCI and II.....but I REALLY dislike BHC III so you never know. I'll stay cautiously optimistic.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29676 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 April 2023 - 04:20 PM

Just found out my step-dad (who is Boomer-computer illiterate and has never had an account of his own) has been using my deceased mom's Facebook account to send messages to random women to proposition them into meeting him.

One of these poor women messaged my aunt to let her know this was occurring. This woman is MY age (my step dad is nearly 80) for starters...but yeah, using my mom's account (he's logged into it on her tablet as she never logged out) he's trying to meet women.

....for gods sake have some fucking TACT and don't use your deceased wife's Facebook page to do it, and certainly don't go around telling women half your age (almost literally half his age) you'd like to meet them.

So now, I have to get a copy of the death Certificate (I think my sister is sending it to me), to request her Facebook page be deleted....because at no point is telling him to log out of her account and making his own going to work, he's just going to get angry....so now I have to end-run around him as a family member to get this done. I could also "memorialize" it apparently, which leaves all the photos up for people to see, but no one can access it anymore or anything.

Checks watch. Well that was 4 months it took him to start looking for women (and maybe less, who knows how long he's been doing this) after swearing he would not care to live without my mom. Fucking clown.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 April 2023 - 04:21 PM

#29677 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 April 2023 - 04:32 PM

Meant to be in the recording studio on Saturday/Sunday.

Covid had other ideas. GUH. I am now isolating from wife and she is bringing me meals, prison style, again.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#29678 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 20 April 2023 - 02:35 AM

People are so naïve and annoying, and that is saying something coming from me.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#29679 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:38 PM

This article posted 45min ago, aged like fucking milk since this starship just exploded on said live feed.

Only robots aboard I'm hearing.

#29680 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 April 2023 - 01:38 PM, said:

This is standard for SpaceX isn't it? I seem to recall but can't be bothered googling that their last flavour of rocket crashed a few times before they got it right.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users