• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29441 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 February 2023 - 12:21 AM

Lost my job Monday. Don’t know what to make off it. I was objectively one of the best performing members of the sales team.

No warning, no performance improvement plan (I wasn’t underperforming though). A new interim ceo and a manager with whom I sometimes clashed (she threatened my job once if I wouldn’t buy a car) seems to have sealed the deal. When I got to the USA I found it frightening that you could be fired at will. Than I realized that as long as you were reforming the cost to replace you would outweigh the cost to to fire you. False security I see now.

I wasn’t especially close to my work colleagues, being fully remote but now that I have lost my job, I am unemployed, living in a city without a support network, without friends and without even the occasional social interaction with colleagues. I was feeling pretty strong, I made good money last year between my base pay and commission and was thinking maybe in another year or two I’d be in a good position regarding a potential house.

Now I realise how fragile it all was. gonna have to dip into savings to pay for rent and cobra healthcare while I look for work. Last time I looked was start of covid when I had just moved to the USA and it took a long time. Here is hoping it will be easier this time. I need to see if as a green card holder I can apply for unemployment. In theory yes I can, in practice it may hurt my application for citizenship if I take ‘advantage’ of government funds.

#29442 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 February 2023 - 12:57 AM

Shit man, that sucks. I feel for you and here’s hoping you can pick something up soon.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29443 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 18 February 2023 - 02:10 AM

Damn Cause. That sucks.

What kind of work do you do? I know the odds are slim but I’ll keep an eyes out.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#29444 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 February 2023 - 03:49 AM

That definitely sucks, and I hope you find something soon.

Not a lawyer and this isn’t legal advice but I do work for an immigration firm and have some familiarity, so if I can be of some small reassurance: 1) There is no public charge barrier to naturalization & 2) Unemployment insurance has never been a factor in public charge anyway (even under DJT). You can definitely apply for unemployment as a valid green card holder (non-immigration related rules and considerations still apply). Also, being unemployed in and of itself is not considered a factor in your application. You will disclose periods of unemployment on your application but just be honest, and keep track of dates.

The big thing is don’t do anything unlawful obviously, and also don’t fail to pay your taxes. Ultimately they will be looking more at things like fraud (in your history or in your application itself). Check out Form N-400 Part 12 and hopefully it’ll reassure you if you’re seeing all No answers for yourself.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29445 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 February 2023 - 05:58 AM

Worry is correct about the effects on citizenship.

Being arrested or charged with fraud is really the line at which there's action taken on.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29446 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 February 2023 - 06:59 AM

Man that's hectic, fired without grounds surely you have recourse for unfair dismissal or some kind of a severance deal??

#29447 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 18 February 2023 - 09:44 AM

So sorry Cause, I hope something comes up soon for you.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#29448 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 February 2023 - 02:25 PM

View PostMacros, on 18 February 2023 - 06:59 AM, said:

Man that's hectic, fired without grounds surely you have recourse for unfair dismissal or some kind of a severance deal??

He lives in the US so probably not.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29449 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 February 2023 - 02:34 PM

View PostCause, on 18 February 2023 - 12:21 AM, said:

Lost my job Monday. Don't know what to make off it. I was objectively one of the best performing members of the sales team.

No warning, no performance improvement plan (I wasn't underperforming though). A new interim ceo and a manager with whom I sometimes clashed (she threatened my job once if I wouldn't buy a car) seems to have sealed the deal. When I got to the USA I found it frightening that you could be fired at will. Than I realized that as long as you were reforming the cost to replace you would outweigh the cost to to fire you. False security I see now.

I wasn't especially close to my work colleagues, being fully remote but now that I have lost my job, I am unemployed, living in a city without a support network, without friends and without even the occasional social interaction with colleagues. I was feeling pretty strong, I made good money last year between my base pay and commission and was thinking maybe in another year or two I'd be in a good position regarding a potential house.

Now I realise how fragile it all was. gonna have to dip into savings to pay for rent and cobra healthcare while I look for work. Last time I looked was start of covid when I had just moved to the USA and it took a long time. Here is hoping it will be easier this time. I need to see if as a green card holder I can apply for unemployment. In theory yes I can, in practice it may hurt my application for citizenship if I take 'advantage' of government funds.

There are places you can get free food if you need it. And free books at the Free Library of course.

If you feel the need to talk to someone in person, when the weather gets a bit warmer I could probably make myself available to be talked at outdoors with my mask on if you like.

#29450 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 February 2023 - 07:33 PM

View Postworry, on 18 February 2023 - 03:49 AM, said:

...I do work for an immigration firm...

I always assumed you lived in the internet as a formless current of sarcastic humor, puns, and compassion. TIL.

@ Cause, will text you.

#29451 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 February 2023 - 07:54 PM

Thank you for saying that. To be clear, I am a permanent ‘cyber-commuter’ so you still might be right about my nature and habitat.

@Azath, do I pass the Turing Test?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29452 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 February 2023 - 08:09 AM

Hey Cause, sorry to hear the news. The US can be brutal in that regard.

I won't be saying anything you don't know about job hunting but it's the keeping going that counts. You have to be relentless despite the negative thoughts that inevitably creep in.

Focus on a new job, you can reflect on what went wrong with this one afterwards. Certain personalities when responsible for delivering a budget can be utter asshats. Don't forget that compared to your previous job search, you now have tonnes more experience of working in the US so are in a much better position.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#29453 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 February 2023 - 08:49 AM

View Postworry, on 18 February 2023 - 07:54 PM, said:

@Azath, do I pass the Turing Test?

Is that question an example of irony? ;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29454 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 February 2023 - 05:25 PM

Parents were gearing up for a vacation in Cuba in early March.

Instead my mom will most likely need to figure out how to get back home, b/c grandmother's in the hospital with pneumonia and the outlook is... not good
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#29455 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 21 February 2023 - 03:26 PM

Lost my job Monday. Don’t know what to make off it. I was objectively one of the best performing members of the sales team.

No warning, no performance improvement plan (I wasn’t underperforming though). A new interim ceo and a manager with whom I sometimes clashed (she threatened my job once if I wouldn’t buy a car) seems to have sealed the deal. When I got to the USA I found it frightening that you could be fired at will. Than I realized that as long as you were reforming the cost to replace you would outweigh the cost to to fire you. False security I see now.

I wasn’t especially close to my work colleagues, being fully remote but now that I have lost my job, I am unemployed, living in a city without a support network, without friends and without even the occasional social interaction with colleagues. I was feeling pretty strong, I made good money last year between my base pay and commission and was thinking maybe in another year or two I’d be in a good position regarding a potential house.

Now I realise how fragile it all was. gonna have to dip into savings to pay for rent and cobra healthcare while I look for work. Last time I looked was start of covid when I had just moved to the USA and it took a long time. Here is hoping it will be easier this time. I need to see if as a green card holder I can apply for unemployment. In theory yes I can, in practice it may hurt my application for citizenship if I take ‘advantage’ of government funds.

So sorry to hear this. Despite getting “let go” try to reach out to colleagues that you had a good relationship with to use as references. You are obviously good at what you do and I am sure that something good will turn up soon. I totally agree understand how you are feeling though…
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#29456 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 February 2023 - 11:37 PM

Thanks everyone. My colleagues were all pretty shocked too. A few senior people reached out to offer references.

I didn't mention, the week before they fired me they flew me to the UK for a company wide meeting and gave me a new laptop. Whatever happened, it happened suddenly.

The job market isnt as hot as it was a year and a half ago when I was getting calls by recruiters every day but it seems to be decently active. Lined up a few calls so far and submitting the resume where I can.

This post has been edited by Cause: 21 February 2023 - 11:38 PM

#29457 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 February 2023 - 11:40 PM

Harsh. I've spent a considerable amount of time "between jobs", but it's almost always been my choice. Best of luck, and I hope you're better with interviews than I am :)

Got to ask, though. How does remote work... work... with a sales job? Is it at all feasible to move out of the city to cut costs? Or is it a remote-to-the-company-but-boots-on-the-ground-in-NYC kind of situation?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#29458 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 February 2023 - 02:03 PM

Went to bed about 830 last night cause I felt off. Woke up puking w/diarrhea around 1030. Oldest daughter comes out about 230 after I’ve finally fallen asleep saying she’s gonna yak.

Fun night.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#29459 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 February 2023 - 02:47 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 22 February 2023 - 02:03 PM, said:

Went to bed about 830 last night cause I felt off. Woke up puking w/diarrhea around 1030. Oldest daughter comes out about 230 after I’ve finally fallen asleep saying she’s gonna yak.

Fun night.

Big sorry for you all. I hope the fluids are relatively contained...
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29460 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 February 2023 - 04:02 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 22 February 2023 - 02:03 PM, said:

Fun night.

Ooof, been there my friend. Yeah, when one person gets a bug we all share it in time...it's just a matter of waiting for each of the family member dominoes to fall. Feel better soon!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users