• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#28261 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 October 2021 - 07:42 PM

My eye protection obscures the cat teardrop tattoo.

Realistic dragon skull won't fit well over P100 mask and doesn't quite work as hat.

Venues tonight seem to be all indoors. Have a ticket to one that installed better ventilation over the summer, but I don't really know how good that is.

Plus my cheek miraculously sprouted a pimple (or more likely... I was lax about resting my face on my hand). Not visible unless I lift my mask, but I'd have to lift my mask to drink. Tried blasting it with near-infrared light to accelerate healing.

Still not sure how much exposure I might get from lifting mask briefly between sips or shots (not breathing until putting the mask back on, but trapping some of the contaminated air beneath the mask). Could be negligible... or not.

Leaning towards 'not worth the risk'. While it should be less crowded on a Sunday night, I'd still expect it to be crowded on Halloween... OTOH WTF have I been spending three hours a day electrocuting my abs for? A dream of 'March or April at the earliest'?... Not clear if Razer mask's fans will make it better for drinking (blowing away most of the contaminated air as I'm putting it back on my face or something).

#28262 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 November 2021 - 04:31 PM

Dang man, it's the day after Halloween, Nov. 1, and my inbox is inundated with pre-Black Friday deals. Do you think we've become too much of a consumerist culture?

#28263 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 November 2021 - 05:12 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 01 November 2021 - 04:31 PM, said:

Dang man, it's the day after Halloween, Nov. 1, and my inbox is inundated with pre-Black Friday deals. Do you think we've become too much of a consumerist culture?

At its best, BF rewards people for having the discipline to wait for sales to buy. That is a virtue.

Many types of 'consumerism' open new creative possibilities or improve quality of life.

But sure, a large percentage of the 'economy' is junk people would probably be better off without, not just near BF. It is harmful and wasteful and only generates the illusion of wealth. Attempts to justify it by claiming the desire for destructive shit is what motivates people to labor---including for beneficial aspects of the economy---seem extremely flimsy; there are other, probably better, ways to motivate people. The desire for crap is culturally mediated.

Sales aren't necessarily a problem, except when they leverage psychological and cultural factors to manipulate people into buying more than they really want to in order to get a limited time deal. Even if the possibility of retail arbitrage is real, the vast majority of people are not going to engage in it at all unless in absolutely dire financial straits. Personally I've gotten sucked in by the ridiculously volatile sales practices for music software---things like $200 normally, $30 for BF, plus you can resell it... but have I ever bothered reselling? Not yet. But the price tends to depreciate as new software comes out.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 November 2021 - 05:12 PM

#28264 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 November 2021 - 04:42 PM

A lot of it is being chalked up to getting your orders in now if you want your packages by Christmas Day. https://www.youtube....h?v=otLWkF4sYTk

Additional messing with groove: Man, even at near mid-day the shadows are noticeably longer. Dark winter is knocking at the door.

#28265 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:23 PM

Applied for a job that I thought I would be really good for (outside the police but within the justice system) they didn't even give me an interview. There's a bit of culture on the Isle of Man of having someone for the job and basically they legally have to advertise it but no-one else gets a look in. The civil service and government departments are a bit of an old boys club in that if you're in and know the right people you're much more likely to get where you want to go.

I'm essentially an outsider, having only moved here a year ago.

I'm a bit fed up with my current job and the hours are killing me and the nature of the job itself is messing with my mental health. With the twins coming as well I really want one with more accessible hours but it's just not happening.

The problem is I'm now at a point where I'm getting paid quite well so I can't exactly start at the bottom somewhere as it would effect my mortgage etc. So I'm stuck in a job I'm coming to hate and is making me miserable but pays me well and I can't see a way out.

Sorry, needed to vent. I love living here, my son is utterly thriving, my wife and I have settled well and have some wonderful friends nearby and outside of my job, everything is going really well! I'm just always too tired and worn down to fully appreciate it...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28266 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:38 PM

I’ve been there. Working a job you hate really takes it out of you. I was lucky that I could get out by becoming a SAHD, otherwise I’d still be stuck there. I feel your pain.
Error: Signature not valid

#28267 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:34 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 November 2021 - 06:23 PM, said:

Applied for a job that I thought I would be really good for (outside the police but within the justice system) they didn't even give me an interview. There's a bit of culture on the Isle of Man of having someone for the job and basically they legally have to advertise it but no-one else gets a look in. The civil service and government departments are a bit of an old boys club in that if you're in and know the right people you're much more likely to get where you want to go.

I'm essentially an outsider, having only moved here a year ago.

I'm a bit fed up with my current job and the hours are killing me and the nature of the job itself is messing with my mental health. With the twins coming as well I really want one with more accessible hours but it's just not happening.

The problem is I'm now at a point where I'm getting paid quite well so I can't exactly start at the bottom somewhere as it would effect my mortgage etc. So I'm stuck in a job I'm coming to hate and is making me miserable but pays me well and I can't see a way out.

Sorry, needed to vent. I love living here, my son is utterly thriving, my wife and I have settled well and have some wonderful friends nearby and outside of my job, everything is going really well! I'm just always too tired and worn down to fully appreciate it...

Sorry Tiste, I know how that goes. Try stepping up your local social networking. Go to happy hour, and try to participate in local events. That kind of thing actually helps quite a bit. I’m glad that in the meantime, you and the fam are financially in a good position, but I can well imagine the toll a job like yours could have on your health.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#28268 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:01 AM

and keep your puns to a minimum. We don't want you thrown off the island
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#28269 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:55 AM

Look at the positives, you're working a job you hate but at least you're getting paid well enough for it.

Work in law they said, it pays well they said

pain peko
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28270 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 05 November 2021 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I shouldn't really moan tbh I know things could be a lot worse and my being able to support my growing family on a single wage is a privileged positive. But dang it hurt not to even get an interview for a job in well qualified to do...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28271 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:07 PM

Ugh, I know the feeling... All the best wishes to you, Tiste, and fingers crossed that you'll find something else soon!

Half my wage is paid by a similar practise of jobs going to people those who have a say know already. We work a lot with universities and research institutes and when they need stuff built, they technically have to advertise it and award the contract to who makes the best offer. In theory. Because government funds are involved. Buuuut in practise we get a call telling my boss to write an invoice about x amount and get busy preparing the job, because once they've waited the mandatory period of x weeks, they'll be awarding the contract to us anyway.

I'm like: but that's not fair!

And then I'm like: but it pays my bills!

I hate the moral conundrum.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#28272 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 06 November 2021 - 11:39 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 November 2021 - 05:30 PM, said:

Thanks for the kind words. I shouldn't really moan tbh I know things could be a lot worse and my being able to support my growing family on a single wage is a privileged positive. But dang it hurt not to even get an interview for a job in well qualified to do...

It's still okay to feel the frustration and misery involved in doing a job you hate, even if your position is relatively privileged. It's not a zero sum game after all :) I hope something more suitable becomes available though, I remember what it felt like to hate my job and dread Monday mornings and it's not something I would wish on anyone.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#28273 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 November 2021 - 02:20 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 06 November 2021 - 11:39 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 November 2021 - 05:30 PM, said:

It's still okay to feel the frustration and misery involved in doing a job you hate, even if your position is relatively privileged. It's not a zero sum game after all :) I hope something more suitable becomes available though, I remember what it felt like to hate my job and dread Monday mornings and it's not something I would wish on anyone.

I know it feels good to be able to provide for your family the way you want, but it’s absolutely ok to try and look out for your own mental health also. I think that’s one of the hardest parts of being a parent. Figuring out a way to balance the many factors of work/life/family.

Making enough to provide for your family is awesome, but if it effects you at home, Is it worth it? Would your family be happier if you made do with less, but dads happy at home? It’s tricky.

This is just my random 2 cents, I have no doubt you’ll do what’s best for your family, good luck!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#28274 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 November 2021 - 04:41 PM

I'd happily take a pay cut but I could only go so far with a mortgage and I've had to get a bigger car etc. As you say it's a difficult balancing act. I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Thanks again. I love this community :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28275 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 November 2021 - 08:43 PM

How much could the mortgage possibly be on one of these?
Posted Image

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28276 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 November 2021 - 09:45 PM

It's the location, and the fact it doubles as the medical tent during the TT.

But I'm definitely hearing you about the overworked and dreading Mondays thing Simmo.
And when you're the breadwinner, about to hit 50 and have zero other options, yeah ... :(

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 06 November 2021 - 09:46 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28277 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2021 - 04:54 AM

Why are driving lessons in the USA so expensive! Absolutely crazy.

#28278 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2021 - 04:32 PM

It could be because it's a niche market? (sorta like when you buy snacks at the movie theater) Don't know for sure. Mostly driving knowledge is passed on by family, usually mother or father, older sibling or aunt/uncle. It usually starts out with going around an empty parking lot (in my case a hay field) and advancing from there. Do you have a friend who can help with this? Just make sure they don't start you out on the turnpike during rush hour.

#28279 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 November 2021 - 08:32 PM

Biopsy confirmed mothers diagnosis. She starts Chemo next week. I'm being as strong as I can for her, but privately this is destroying me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28280 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 12 November 2021 - 12:40 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 November 2021 - 08:32 PM, said:

Biopsy confirmed mothers diagnosis. She starts Chemo next week. I'm being as strong as I can for her, but privately this is destroying me.

Stay strong man. Feel free to PM if you need to vent. Here for you!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic