• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27541 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:11 PM

I'm not sure you can wake her up without connecting deeply to her, digging into what she's afraid of (looks like many many things that include the reality of a dangerous disease), and then asking her questions designed to break the pattern - which is hard to do.

Deprogramming cultists is super hard, which is why there's only a few people who do it. Simply removing the person from the cult (or firehose of misinformation) isn't enough because the person has had their life altered to a point where their routines and emotional dependencies are built around that.

I think this saving process is a long and tough endeavor and if you want to do it, that's good, but if you also don't have the time and energy to do it, that's also good. Might be enough to say something heartfelt about how you like this person, but you can't agree with this nonsense and that it's actively dangerous to condone that nonsense.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27542 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 December 2020 - 04:47 PM

Just make sure it's not Corona.

#27543 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:11 PM

In defence, Corona is a great light beer to drink after a long day hard work. Throw a slice of lime in that fucker and go.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27544 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:37 PM

For anyone that cares about the saga with my crazy sister during COVID...I'll spoiler this for people who don't much care. This tails onto a discussion we had in the COVID thread, so may not be relevant to most people.

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27545 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 December 2020 - 06:11 PM, said:

In defence, Corona is a great light beer to drink after a long day hard work. Throw a slice of lime in that fucker and go.

True.
And on some level in early days when it would have been just slightly less offensive i wanted them to lean right into the pandemic for their advertising, but they've stayed admirably silent/business as usual.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27546 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:57 PM

This...

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 December 2020 - 06:37 PM, said:

...going to 100% fuck up my relationship with my mom if I cut my sister out.[/spoiler]

...is the primary reason to put up with all that crap, as far as you can and that tiny bit extra we throw in for family.

#27547 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 December 2020 - 06:57 PM, said:

This...

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 December 2020 - 06:37 PM, said:

...going to 100% fuck up my relationship with my mom if I cut my sister out.[/spoiler]

...is the primary reason to put up with all that crap, as far as you can and that tiny bit extra we throw in for family.

Yeah, this is one of the things I'm most hung up on. My dad would care, but he could easily compartmentalize us as family units and keep us separate. His relationship with his eldest sister is similarly strained on principled levels. My mom though....she keeps us intrinsically linked and gets really upset when we "fight" as she calls it. She also doesn't know my sister has a tonne of baggage from their relationship when my sister was younger and that she harbours a deep resentment of my mom...all of this would come out and really destroy my mom.

So I want to cut her out, but being who I've always been (the family whipping boy who just takes it) will keep the peace...so I'll probably keep doing that. I don't want to...but yeah, I don't see a way out that doesn't tear the whole already fractured family asunder.

#27548 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:22 PM

Tecate > Modelo > Dos Equis > Bud Light Lime > Milwaukee's Best Light > Cat Piss > Corona.

Posted Image

#27549 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:39 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 December 2020 - 06:53 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 December 2020 - 06:11 PM, said:

True.
And on some level in early days when it would have been just slightly less offensive i wanted them to lean right into the pandemic for their advertising, but they've stayed admirably silent/business as usual.

It's been a lot cheaper than usual.

Not that I buy it, it's pretty awful stuff IMO. Still better than Coors/Bud but for a hot day, a San Miguel is my go to lager (more of an ale person myself!)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27550 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:34 AM

Stuck my hand into my workbag into a pocket i dont normally use, and then put my hand right through a green covered mouldy clementine. Urgh
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#27551 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 December 2020 - 06:04 PM

You know what hits me with a tinge of sadness? In the morning I drive by a few houses that have leaned in hard on those inflatable Christmas lawn displays. When they are deflated during the day and dot the yard in depressing piles waiting to be blown up again they look sad, like they have finished their work and have nothing left to give. Like party balloons in the hotel ballroom/event space a week after a New Year's party waiting to be cleaned up.

#27552 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:28 AM

Gah I hate being the one telling friends that I'm not going to the thing they are planning that will break the local covid rules. They are being perfectly nice about it but I feel like a right old bore.

And my kid got in my bed last night. I'm the grumpiest woman in the world right now. I've had no longer than 15 minutes sleep in a row after invariably being startled awake being smacked in the teeth, head butted in the stomach, head butted in the head, frozen with no covers, manically having my face stroked and having my hair pulled.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27553 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 December 2020 - 12:17 PM

I believe I warned you back in 2009 that when it comes to revenge, I play a long game.

;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27554 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:06 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 December 2020 - 06:04 PM, said:

You know what hits me with a tinge of sadness? In the morning I drive by a few houses that have leaned in hard on those inflatable Christmas lawn displays. When they are deflated during the day and dot the yard in depressing piles waiting to be blown up again they look sad, like they have finished their work and have nothing left to give. Like party balloons in the hotel ballroom/event space a week after a New Year's party waiting to be cleaned up.

A neighbor had this incredible Halloween dragon... silver and red with lightning from its mouth, LEDs for the eyes and lightning, HUGE, massive wings.... probably the bestest Halloween decoration EVER.
....deflated it was so sad.

#27555 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:42 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 13 December 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

Gah I hate being the one telling friends that I'm not going to the thing they are planning that will break the local covid rules. They are being perfectly nice about it but I feel like a right old bore.

And my kid got in my bed last night. I'm the grumpiest woman in the world right now. I've had no longer than 15 minutes sleep in a row after invariably being startled awake being smacked in the teeth, head butted in the stomach, head butted in the head, frozen with no covers, manically having my face stroked and having my hair pulled.

Its like sleeping with a drunk octopus looking for their keys.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#27556 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:38 PM

Pocket Jacks, never win with them, never win against them.

fuck me, I'm fairly sure this has messed with my groove here several times over the years, but god damnit, just once cut me a break on the jacks!!

#27557 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:54 AM

On the subject of corona beer, I picked up two cans of Neonraptor Centaur Army. Two 400ml cans. 13% abv.

Ran me to £15.

My wallet is die

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27558 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 December 2020 - 09:25 AM

Two tinnies for £15, are you fucking mental?

#27559 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 17 December 2020 - 10:09 AM

That is the equivalent of drinking six normal pints though... which for 15 quid ain't bad.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#27560 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 December 2020 - 01:59 PM

View PostMacros, on 17 December 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

Two tinnies for £15, are you fucking mental?

Yeah, that's insane. With the conversion rate to CDN, I can get like 8 or 10 tall boys (473ml) for the same price.

Share this topic:

• 1523 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users