#27321 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:06 PM

View PostCyphon, on 02 September 2020 - 07:17 PM, said:

Taylor Swift and the best video ever...

I call shenanigans.

Posted Image

T-Swift was not even a thing, I don't believe. If she was, it had to be very early on, and didn't her orbit only revolve around country music at that time? It's gotta be someone else.

#27322 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:14 AM

View PostBriar King, on 03 September 2020 - 05:08 PM, said:

Here's hoping your insurance company are more sensible and decent than their industry's reputation.
Do you know anyone who could have a quick bo peep and tell you if it's a write-off or not? What would work best for you?

Here's hoping little Piggy Tanner's next house is steel-framed double brick.

Take care anyway mate.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 September 2020 - 07:18 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27323 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 September 2020 - 06:50 PM

https://www.pixelthoughts.co/

#27324 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 05 September 2020 - 04:26 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 September 2020 - 02:00 PM, said:

Fuck we had planned to begin clean up anyway this weekend and renting an RV so not driving for 8 hrs each day. So I been expecting it that my siblings hell beast bitch mother would show up at his house and sure enough as we were packing here she comes down the road. Lucky to have made the week without her. I refuse to be near her so that cold front needs to push through ASAP.

Back home now. Can see more damage from the exposure. Ceiling is now cracked halfway through the house entering the hallway. Fuck man I think I'm gonna loose my family home. Gonna get a modern home to replace it but it ain't gonna be home home like this one.

That's awful. Sorry man.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27325 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:30 PM

View PostBriar King, on 06 September 2020 - 01:04 PM, said:

Well fuck me how much bad shit can be piled up on me? Old man, brother and sister in law just got in wreck on their way back here for this morning carpet ripping session.

They ok?
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27326 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 September 2020 - 06:03 PM

Yesterday - Temps approaching 100℉, with smoke from the wild fires burning in the west so heavily blanketing the area that it smelled like a camp fire all day and at times my eyes had a faint stinging sensation.

This morning - Temps just barely above freezing (32℉) with a possibility of up to 4 inches of snow in the forecast tonight.

^ that second bullet point I could have probably put in the "what is making you happy right now" thread, because after that heat and smoke, it felt wonderful. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

#27327 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:44 PM

So, was listening to talk about the fires burning in the west. A scientist has the position that the concept of "season" should no longer be applied to wildfires. Instead, we should expect wildfires any time of the year and that an "event" classification should be applied, where conditions are the criteria that make the probability of wildfires higher. So, yeah, awesome that. Fuck you 2020. Fuck you right in the dick hole with a white hot poker.

#27328 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:08 PM

In fairness it's my I'm impression that most the USs West coast is an uninhabitable desert and you're all insane for living there in the first place.

#27329 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:23 PM

View PostAptorian, on 09 September 2020 - 05:08 PM, said:

In fairness it's my I'm impression that most the USs West coast is an uninhabitable desert and you're all insane for living there in the first place.

The truly habitable places are on the coasts and housing policies have generally barred the building of large apartment buildings there. So people with some money move way out to the land side and that's where the fires are. Long ago, there were controlled burns in a checkerboard pattern that would prevent the fires from getting this bad, but they stopped doing that bc of complaints from people who now live near the controlled fires. So the big fires now get worse due to the built up brush and underbrush that hasn't been burnt off in small quantities.

So it would make more sense to build more densely in the big cities and have less people that far out - simply for life quality and not having to evacuate for fires and deal with property damage etc. But that would take a radical and leftward revision of housing policies in the state and the country.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27330 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:31 PM

So I live in the pacific Northwest (oregon). We have always had *some* fire but usually in the eastern part of the state which is a mix of plains and desert. The Willamette Valley however, has always been a very wet green forest. Unfortunately we are living in Climate Change. We've been down 15-20 inches of rain the last two years (and we're on a similar track for 2020) compared to what we've been historically from 2010 to 2017.

This is not usual here.

Finally to make it all worse, we are currently under federal leadership with a mentality of "west coast? That's not part of my country. Let it burn.". When you look at a fire map of the US, nearly a quarter of this country is on fire and our president hasn't even acknowledged it. Instead he's choosing to hold a meeting to share his Supreme Court shortlist of nominees.

#27331 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:51 PM

I've been learning about how California dammed up the rivers and so on to funnel water to LA and Vegas decades ago. That's contributed somewhat to this massive fire threat too.

#27332 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:14 PM

Just now catching up on the past few weeks and oh man, I'm so sorry to read the stuff about your house, BK! Hope you can get everything sorted asap!

But also, yes, I'm here to bitch. I got offered a job but they wouldn't do the "how many hours and how much per hour"-talk, fully knowing I need that darn job. Come on, I know my degree wasn't quite in the subject you want, but I'm pushing ten years of on-the-job experience. This shit ain't magic and I've even got experience with the non-standard software they're using.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#27333 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:20 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 09 September 2020 - 04:44 PM, said:

So, was listening to talk about the fires burning in the west. A scientist has the position that the concept of "season" should no longer be applied to wildfires. Instead, we should expect wildfires any time of the year and that an "event" classification should be applied, where conditions are the criteria that make the probability of wildfires higher. So, yeah, awesome that. Fuck you 2020. Fuck you right in the dick hole with a white hot poker.

To extrapolate out from this; can "gender reveal parties" fuck off already? Big picture: no one gives a hairy rat's ass, except maybe the grand parents to be, and immediate family, and maybe some close friends. So, I don't know, quaint dinner and then a - *stand-up *ting *ting *ting butter knife to glass, and then "attention everyone, we are having a girl." That should cover it. No need to blow up a pallet of diapers filled with pink powder which ends up burning down the upper 1/3rd of the state of California.

#27334 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:51 AM

Hey BK, sorry to read about all the shit you are going through.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27335 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:31 PM

So everything's been going to shit over here in a casual way and I'm starting to get tired of it.

First off, the house we rent in was sold early this year and ever since, we've been having one problem after another. Never mind that they immediately started renovating the ground floor and it's been noisy and dirty in the hallways every since, that's okay. But whoever they hired to do it, they 1. don't speak a word of German that's not pre-learned and butchered and 2. have highly questionable expertise at what they are doing. So, as soon as they started renovating, we started getting our water turned off at random times for hours and without warning. Try getting ready for work when there's no water in the apartment. Then they went at stripping the walls of the ground floor of EVERYTHING. And I do mean everything. There's only the 100+-year-old brickwork left. That combined with the house shaking like crazy while they were going at it made the floor of the first floor's apartment partially collapse. Cue waiting for some kind of actual expert to check if the house can remain standing at all. Great, just great. Nobody told us squat but apparently it can since now we're back to random water cutoffs and the ground floor is getting new ceiling beams fitted and shit. Cool. Have I mentioned already that for the past couple of months the entry door to the house has been left open by who the fuck knows day and night? New owners say, oh, the door is broken. THEN FIX IT. Weirdly, the door only broke once you rented the ground floor apartment to an illegal cards and betting establishment thing.

Now the new owners are like "Yo, you can't keep stuff up in the attic, it's a fire hazard!" Cool, where's our basement storage space that every other tenant in the house gets? Right, we don't get any because our rent agreement specifies the attic as our extra storage space. Then they're also like "Yo, you cannot keep that satellite dish installed to watch TV, get a contract with x company for TV stuff". Oh, you mean that guy that I had come out here last year to install new internet and TV stuff who said he couldn't do that IN our apartment but only on the stairs? Yah, sure. You wanna pay for all the neighbours getting free internet? No? Fuck off, then. That being said, I don't even know where that stupid ass satellite dish even is, 'cause we didn't install it and most certainly aren't using it, what with having no TV to begin with.

Now, work. Fuck that, too. Got a job offer for a part-time position. Perfect. Except they're not even sure they've got enough work for a part-time position? THEN WHY DO YOU ADVERTISE IT AS SUCH?! But cool, cool, I've still got my current job and I can keep it so two's better than none. Except my department manager is PISSING ME OFF more and more with each passing day. I'm being paid per hour worked. This bitch had me come into work today, set up myself at my desk, load up all the software I need and start working while she was flapping her mouth for an ENTIRE hour about her recent holidays THEN decided to tell me she doesn't need me today and what little work there is can be done next week. EXCUSE ME?! You bitch made a fuss on the phone last week that this and this absolutely needed to be done this week and I absolutely need to come into the office (I'd been swapping my hours at the office for hours at the company's warehouse whenever I can lately because the people are so much nicer despite the boring tasks). All fully knowing it takes me over an hour to get there.

And now tomorrow people sent by the new landlord are coming over to measure all the units in the house and someone absolutely needs to be home. I'm fed up with them big time and just want to focus on getting a new job, for fuck's sake.

/rant over

Edit: Lest I forget: my wardrobe is falling apart. The mirror just slid out of its frame last night and miraculously only fell the entire way when I tried to open the drawer beneath. Then one of the shelves inside gave way and slid off the stubby stub things holding it, for good measure. On the up side, none of these landed on either my head nor my hands. It's all about the bright side of life, right?

This post has been edited by Puck: 14 September 2020 - 08:41 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]

#27336 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:31 PM

That's a real big pile of rage inducing things, Puck. Sorry for all that.

#27337 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:51 PM

On the drive home, saw this dead raccoon on the side of the road. And holy snikees he was a bigun. Like, gargatuan in size. Medium dog size and up range at least. Not exaggerating. Legit probably put a dent in the car who hit him.

#27338 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:55 PM

Damn Puck. That all kinda of sucks.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#27339 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:36 PM

View PostBriar King, on 15 September 2020 - 12:20 AM, said:

What language are they speaking?

Turkish, I think.

Anyway, guys, the whole house situation just got even worse. So, there was supposed to come an "architect" over today to measure all the units. I mean, alright, it's the news owner's right, all good. BUT holy shit, it's a good thing we were home BEFORE the appointed time, because this asshole seriously tried to THROW AWAY THE THINGS we keep in the attic, which as I mentioned in my previous post, is allotted to us as extra storage space in our lease agreement. Now, we did get a letter last week from this asshole stating we had to vacate the attic space by September 30th because it's a fire hazard, yadda yadda. Apparently everyone in the house got one and he seriously plans to vacate both the attic and the basement then reassign the basement compartments. Meh, whatever. We didn't really need most of the stuff we kept in the attic with the exception of the odd small furniture piece, some books I'm in the process of selling off second hand on Ebay and two mattresses we kept behind a closed door. Otherwise there's a lot, and I do mean a lot, of junk that's collected there over the years prior to when we moved in, stuff like old doors that were replaced throughout the house and such. Annoying but whatever. ANYWAY, we hear noise up tehre and go take a look and lo and behold, this bastard has people up there removing EVERYTHING from the attic, including the stuff in our closed off (but not locked) compartment. HELLO?! He then proceeds to SHOUT at us for not having removed all that junk yet. HELLOOO?! 1. not our junk and 2. it's two weeks yet until the deadline and we've already asked people over for NEXT WEEK to help us move the stuff down and for people from the city waste management to come and pick it up, WHICH COSTS US MONEY. So he keeps shouting at us that he's going to make the whole house pay for the clean up (of stuff none of the current tenants put there) and also that we'd better remember the "architect" appointment. I wave his stupid letter in his face and shout back, because why not, and also because he ignores me unless I do.

So then lunchtime rolls around and a pair of 20-year-old-at-best interns ring and claim to be the "architects" come to measure our apartment. I quickly put on a mask before my mouth runs faster than my brain again and make them do the same because fuck knows where they've been partying lately. Anyway, they do their round through the apartment while I try to get some work done but I can hear them get more and more exasperated with every room, because guess what? The house is 100+ years old and IT SHOWS. There'S not a single 90° corner, the ceiling is sacking in the living room, the floor is creaking everywhere, most rooms have slanted walls and no two windows are the same size. I can hear them mumble something about this not going to work. NO SHIT, SHERLOCK. They must've told the landlord because he came whirling back up here and made an even bigger fuss about the trash in the attic and how he's going to have everything removed from the attic and the basement, lock the door to the attic and make the entire house pay for all of this. So yeah, half of the stuff we kept up there is now GONE. I'm mostly pissed about the mattresses though to be fair, they've been up there close to a year and are probably too dusty now to use anyway.

Anyway, about an hour later, our neighbour from the second floor comes up asking if the "architect" had been here. Yeah, kinda. Well, apparently, ours was the only apartment they measured and also tried to at the resident cat lady's place from the same floor but she elected to either ignore them or be conspicuously absent. Anyway, we gossip some and get told that the rooms on the ground floor were supposed to be renovated for a restaurant (of which there have been three in there already in the past ten years or so, none of which survived for long, so obviously it's a prime location for one) and also that everyone in the house suspects that this guy had planned to do the currently popular pastime among landlords of buying an old house, raising the rents until everyone moves out, renovating the entire thing and re-renting it for a much heftier price but bought the whole thing sight unseen and is now really, REALLY pissed about it because it's hella expensive to make this thing livable unless you do what the previous owner did: low rents and leave the tenants alone. And he legally cannot tear the whole shabang down because it's protected by monument conservation laws.

Have I already mentioned that none of our door bells have been working properly since March?

I hope he suffocates on his arrogance and greed and I'm not usually one to wish bad things on people.

This post has been edited by Puck: 15 September 2020 - 05:42 PM

#27340 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:43 PM

Puck are there any sort of renter protection laws where you live?

This landlord seems like a monumental asshole who'd only stop his assholery if he was somewhat afraid of you.

What you're describing sucks so bad. Good luck resolving it.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users