• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27301 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:28 AM

Shit mate, are you and the family OK for somewhere to stay in the meantime? Your insurance all good?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27302 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:37 AM

Holy crap Tanner. Glad you’re safe, but that sounds awful.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27303 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 August 2020 - 03:15 AM

Well at least there's that, not that it's much consolation.

You OK?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27304 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 August 2020 - 03:23 AM

Dang, Chadwick Boseman died of cancer! So young!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27305 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 August 2020 - 03:05 PM

View PostBriar King, on 29 August 2020 - 02:44 AM, said:

Insurance will cover everything they said yesterday. Gonna take months or years I’m sure to rebuild. Imagine we will be in hotels if it does collapse. If not we can likely still stay on the other side of house. Large portion is just gonna have to be completely gutted. I’d say about 60% is fucked

Damn, BK, sorry to hear. Hopefully they get onto repairs quickly, and you'll get a newer place out of it.
All the best in the meantime, living in the middle of prolonged renos is not fun, I know, my parents have been through that a few times (while I was too young to notice/care)
Always remember, we're here for you.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 30 August 2020 - 03:06 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#27306 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 August 2020 - 04:19 PM

So I’m supposed to get ten qualified meetings a month to get my bonus.

Last month was half training so they told me I only needed five. Set 8 and got five qualified.

This month I set seven. Problem is only 3 qualified, 2 meetings were for September and the remaining 2 asked to reschedule and ghosted me. So I only got 3 out of 10. Now never mind I didn’t get my bonus but now I’m feeling the pressure. I don’t think I put in a worse job performance compared to July or anything but now I feel like a need a good September to keep my job. They haven’t said anything but I feel like I just don’t enjoy the kind of job security I had in South Africa. It’s definitely giving me a blue weekend.

#27307 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:10 AM

Recently I rolled up behind a car with this bumper sticker, and yeah, it made me do a second take. What an asshole way to promote your business.

Posted Image

Thing is, I never knew about the ok thing being a racist gesture until recently. I always knew it as something that maybe old timers would do to provide positive feedback. I used to see it all the time when I worked at a golf course. It was done quite frequently by people from diverse backgrounds (when hitting that key putt for a birdie or to save par, as an example). Korean golfers who were not especially good with the English language did it all the time. Why did we let it be hijacked by white supremacist jackholes to become a racist symbol? Why do we give assholes that power? Lets take it back. I'm going to make a concerted effort to use it when an appropriate situation arises.

#27308 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:50 AM

The problem with taking it back is that until your version of the story comes across as the majority, you just look like a racist asshole doing the gesture. It's why those people who wear the red hats that sorta look like MAGA hats, yet have different slogans on them look from 40 feet away like MAGA hat wearing people.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27309 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:07 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 01 September 2020 - 02:10 AM, said:

Recently I rolled up behind a car with this bumper sticker, and yeah, it made me do a second take. What an asshole way to promote your business.

Posted Image

Thing is, I never knew about the ok thing being a racist gesture until recently. I always knew it as something that maybe old timers would do to provide positive feedback. I used to see it all the time when I worked at a golf course. It was done quite frequently by people from diverse backgrounds (when hitting that key putt for a birdie or to save par, as an example). Korean golfers who were not especially good with the English language did it all the time. Why did we let it be hijacked by white supremacist jackholes to become a racist symbol? Why do we give assholes that power? Lets take it back. I'm going to make a concerted effort to use it when an appropriate situation arises.

Two things.

1. That's not the racist version.

That's the circle game. You get a digital punch for looking.

https://en.m.wikiped...The_circle_game

2. I'm fairly sure the racist/white supremacist use of the ok sign is one of 4chans better "pranks". It's a viral thing that went about as wrong as you could expect.

#27310 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:20 AM

It is meant to signal the circle game. But it now also means the white power thing because that's who is doing this in pictures and on TV and so on these days.

The symbol can have both meanings at once and one can overpower the other.

#27311 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:42 AM

What ever, man. You just lost THE GAME.

#27312 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:00 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 September 2020 - 04:57 PM, said:

I just wanna go home dammit. I couldn't get the trees off house by myself on that unstable roof and I was hurting big time by sunset that 2nd day after all the clearing/cutting I could do alone safely without having a heat stroke. Need a crew with safety gear or machines to get the things off house so a tarp can go up. House is just open to the elements taking in further damage. My dad, brother and his woman came to see for themselves with supplies to tarp ourselves but it was 10:30 pm before they made it there and I was soaking wet covered with grime and sawdust. They demanded I drive back with them.

That sucks, BK.
So sorry you have to deal w this.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27313 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:23 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 September 2020 - 04:57 PM, said:

I just wanna go home dammit. I couldn't get the trees off house by myself on that unstable roof and I was hurting big time by sunset that 2nd day after all the clearing/cutting I could do alone safely without having a heat stroke. Need a crew with safety gear or machines to get the things off house so a tarp can go up. House is just open to the elements taking in further damage. My dad, brother and his woman came to see for themselves with supplies to tarp ourselves but it was 10:30 pm before they made it there and I was soaking wet covered with grime and sawdust. They demanded I drive back with them.

I wish I was closer to you; I would absolutely throw my chainsaw in my truck and give you what help I could. Neighbor helping neighbor in the aftermath of hurricanes is one of the few ways to get somewhat quick results. I've seen it firsthand, though fortunately, I've been the one chipping in with my own house undamaged. I feel for you BK.

Also, be careful about that heat stroke thing. I ran my chainsaw at my mother's last Saturday to cut back brazilian pepper trees (HATE 'EM!) that were invading her yard. Had to cut, then pull what I cut free from the other vines running rampant through it and then drag and dispose of what I'd cut. In an hour and a half I had absolutely destroyed myself and felt close to passing out. Heat exhaustion/stroke is no joke in the middle of Gulf coast summer.

This post has been edited by paran falcon: 01 September 2020 - 08:30 PM

#27314 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 September 2020 - 01:42 AM

Holy crap! Hurricane Katrina was 15 years ago? I don't remember much about it, except it was so much misery. Was this place (aka Malazan Empire Forum) even around back then? Also, didn't Kanye West gain some notoriety during the aftermath at a celebrity event or something? Was that when he interrupted and took the mic away from someone or something?

#27315 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:52 AM

Malazan Empire was here in 2004 when I joined so yeah it would have been. I think Kanye was doing a bit too try and persuade people to donate to help with Katrina with Mike Myers and he went on a rant. Myers tried to bring it back but Kanye just came up with "George Bush doesn't care about black people" which left Myers a bit speechless.
Watch it, it's quite something:
https://youtu.be/zIUzLpO1kxI
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27316 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:59 AM

Nowhere near as bad as Tanner's issues but had problems with our roof, had someone fix the base issue but it's still leaking in certain conditions. Might be a torn roof lining. Five grand odd if it is.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27317 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:53 PM

Watched that vid. I sorta remember that now, but this Hurricane Katrina thing is obviously different. I thought he grabbed a mic from someone or something. I have a foggy memory of that for some reason. Was it Lady Ga Ga?

#27318 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:17 PM

Taylor Swift and the best video ever...
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#27319 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 September 2020 - 05:23 PM

Cripes man, that looks awful. Sorry you're going through this.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27320 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:03 PM

There's no basement, right? All one floor?

I wouldn't be surprised if the adjuster calls the place a total write-off with the flooding damage and the need for a whole new roof.

That really stinks. I'm sorry and hope you get seen faster than the 23rd.

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users