What's messing with your groove?

#27161 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:01 PM

Yeah, I haven't been drinking to drunk or blackout. More maintaining a long term tipsy and numbing, and yesterday that was about 4-5 shots and a glass of wine over about 3 hours, which is a lot for me. I tonight I probably won't drink, and generally I don't bother with alcohol. It has just been too many days of anxiety and downness, and I am trying to break the buildup before it overwhelms me. But if I get to the point I am drinking every day for weeks, then I will be very concerned.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27162 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:13 AM

Gust. As a doctor, you should probably step back and read what you just wrote and ask yourself how concerned you'd be if a patient gave you the explanation you just did. You're creating habits and finding escape in alcohol. You're self medicating.

How far are you going to go down this path to try and keep your relationship going and at what point is it time to start thinking about your own life and your health?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 25 July 2020 - 04:14 AM

#27163 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:57 PM

View PostAptorian, on 25 July 2020 - 04:13 AM, said:

Gust. As a doctor, you should probably step back and read what you just wrote and ask yourself how concerned you'd be if a patient gave you the explanation you just did. You're creating habits and finding escape in alcohol. You're self medicating.

How far are you going to go down this path to try and keep your relationship going and at what point is it time to start thinking about your own life and your health?

Thank you for the advice. Yeah, I know I am self-medicating and I know that as a rule, alcohol treating the emotions resulting from larger problems is not the answer. Posting here serves at least two purposes:

First, it is cathartic release of pressures that, in the face-to-face world, I have few I can talk to. My sister is very helpful hearing me out, but I am always afraid of burning her out, And of course, my wife can be helpful, but that is dependent on her state of mind, which has been more miss than hit of late. I sincerely appreciate people here letting me air out my struggles, and your support is one of pillars keeping me up.

Second, posting here is reaching out for help and tracking behaviors or events I fear will worsen. I rarely have been drunk in my life and drinking has been typically a social activity for me. I am pretty sure I am not an alcoholic. I have been drinking more often, usually coincident with surges of bad days. That most recent day I was drinking, I was alarmed how much I had consumed and how the alcohol helped less in numbing the overwhelming feelings. That was a bit of a wake up call that I should not pursue upping the dose, but I was also sussing out this opinion on thread to see if people would scoff at what I considered excessive.

This year so far is awful, as those of you following my posts have seen (and as I know most of you are probably experiencing yourselves). I was on track towards suicide a few months ago, though not the closest I have ever been. I immediately got help through counseling and prescriptions. I am no longer employed and my career path is likely dead as I cannot stand medicine as a practice any more. Considering the 7 years of post grad training to get there and the hundreds of thousands of dollars in student debt, this is a big deal for me. Things with my wife have been up and down, fortunately more up the last few weeks, which gives me hope. But I also recognize I strongly considered ending our relationship not more than a month prior.

tl;dr :

I am trying to watch the direction of things, including alcohol, and reaching out for accountability from people like you. I really appreciate you caring and watching out for me.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27164 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

It's often underestimated just how cathartic a post on here can be. You're sure to get the piss taken pretty quick, but you also find people who are outside your circle and family who can give you support and a clearer view on things.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#27165 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:23 PM

Insomnia
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#27166 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:06 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 27 July 2020 - 09:16 PM, said:

I’m disgusted with what I witnessed out of mostly curiosity today. I shouldn’t have agreed to do it so I’m not blameless.

?
~Abyss

#27167 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:17 AM

This is a trucksex thing, isn't it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27168 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:34 AM

Trucksex thing confirmed.

#27169 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:55 AM

Gym reopened. Sore all over. Dying.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27170 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:40 AM

That'd be the COVID/leprosy crossover.

Ignore it, I'm sure you'll be fine. :D

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 July 2020 - 08:40 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27171 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:51 AM

Honestly it's dire. Not due to train upper body again until Thursday but my god, it's supremely stiff two days on. Can hardly lift my arms up. Hot baths can only do so much.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27172 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:56 AM

Can you afford remedial massage from one of those places that doesn't have a red light out the front?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27173 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:14 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 28 July 2020 - 11:51 AM, said:

Honestly it's dire. Not due to train upper body again until Thursday but my god, it's supremely stiff two days on. Can hardly lift my arms up. Hot baths can only do so much.

Have you tried rolling around on fresh legos.

#27174 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

View PostAptorian, on 28 July 2020 - 02:14 PM, said:

Apropos of nothing...what the hell are UNfresh (Stale?) legos Apt?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 July 2020 - 02:33 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27175 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:32 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 July 2020 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 28 July 2020 - 02:14 PM, said:

Apropos of nothing...what the hell are UNfresh (Stale?) legos Apt?

Less sticky.

#27176 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:50 PM

Fresh lego cuts through flesh and bone.

#27177 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:17 PM

Cryotherapy. Freeze your berries, they will stay fresh longer.

Posted Image

#27178 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:36 PM

So my new job is in sales. Different world for me. But I am doing okay. Because half the month was training and only half work we arranged a deal that if I hit half my monthly goal I’d get half my month bonus. Well it seems a lock. I needed five qualified demos. Five already happened and I was told 4 were a lock. Now they caged their mind and tell me only 3 count. I still have two demos scheduled for the month but I have gone from supremely confident I’d get my bonus to now being very uncertain. It really sucks. The bonus is half my salary again so it a big deal.

#27179 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:43 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 28 July 2020 - 05:17 PM, said:

Cryotherapy. Freeze your berries, they will stay fresh longer.

Posted Image

or break off.

#27180 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:06 AM

View PostCause, on 28 July 2020 - 10:36 PM, said:

So my new job is in sales. Different world for me. But I am doing okay. Because half the month was training and only half work we arranged a deal that if I hit half my monthly goal I’d get half my month bonus. Well it seems a lock. I needed five qualified demos. Five already happened and I was told 4 were a lock. Now they caged their mind and tell me only 3 count. I still have two demos scheduled for the month but I have gone from supremely confident I’d get my bonus to now being very uncertain. It really sucks. The bonus is half my salary again so it a big deal.

It's hard to tell what the exact circumstances are of these performance markers you mention but I would be careful about this. It sounds like they made a deal with you and are going back on that deal or moving the goal posts. That's unacceptable if it's a matter of your salary. Doesn't matter if it's 1% or 50%.

The cynic in me thinks you've got a middle manager that's trying to figure out if he can get away with denying you your bonus because you're new, to get a better bottom line to report to his superiors end of month/quarter, what ever.

Don't let that become a habit just because you're new and afraid they'll fire you.

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users