• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27141 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:53 AM

How old is she these days?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27142 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

I don't understand. You've raised your daughter to be a fine person, bringing happiness to her and teaching her how to be a good person. She's now feeling comfortable enough that she wants to bring a boy she likes home. And you want to be around this boy with guns and joke scare him?

Doesn't make sense to me. Do you not trust her in this situation when she's asking permission for him to come over with the idea that you two are going to meet? Why does your heart drop when she finds someone she likes and they like her?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27143 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:44 PM

I think it’s less of a case of trust in his daughter, and more of distrust in any boy being near her.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#27144 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:06 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 July 2020 - 05:23 PM, said:

I don't understand. You've raised your daughter to be a fine person, bringing happiness to her and teaching her how to be a good person. She's now feeling comfortable enough that she wants to bring a boy she likes home. And you want to be around this boy with guns and joke scare him?

Doesn't make sense to me. Do you not trust her in this situation when she's asking permission for him to come over with the idea that you two are going to meet? Why does your heart drop when she finds someone she likes and they like her?

This.

And the whole "guns scare guys who come round" thing is pretty antiquated. It's 2020.

If you trust her BK, she'll make the right decisions. You gotta have that faith in her.

View PostLady Bliss, on 16 July 2020 - 05:44 PM, said:

I think it’s less of a case of trust in his daughter, and more of distrust in any boy being near her.

If she's bringing the guy over and will be around BK (her dad), then I fail to see how that's a problem. Seems like a pretty normal action. He should be worried if she didn't want to do that...not when she does.

This way he gets to meet the guy and see if he's a good dude or not.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27145 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:38 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 16 July 2020 - 06:20 PM, said:

Why the fuck do I have to hand hold y’all through this joke? Lighten up.

And dammit it’s Corona times so I can’t try and break his hand with mine. This sucks.

Didn't realize you were kidding. Apologies.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27146 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:38 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 16 July 2020 - 03:52 PM, said:

16. 17 in October

The answer is a convent. ;)

Of course BK doesn't trust the boy - he's one himself! He knows what's going through the little punks' mind ... and other places.

Firearms don't scare good ole southern boys though. Ask him about his feelings/future plans/grades - that should scare the bejeezus out of him. :rofl:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27147 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:26 AM

I got the joke BK.

And the paternal protective 'I was a 16 yr old boy once' subtext. You break out that cleaning kit and leave it somewhere visible.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27148 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:39 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 16 July 2020 - 01:36 AM, said:

My heart just fucking dropped...my daughter just came up to me and asked me for permission if her boyfriend could come over here tomorrow.

I’ve been needing to clean the rifles anyway.

How did it go?
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#27149 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:11 PM

I wouldn't panic.

Unless... Did he have a truck?

#27150 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:09 AM

The front seats recline waaaaay back on those.

#27151 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:59 PM

Apparently Grant Imahara from Mythbusters died of a brain aneurysm last week. He was only 49.

#27152 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:16 AM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 20 July 2020 - 03:16 AM, said:

Dammit I hate this skinny ass phone screen constantly clicking the wrong shit from what I want to click fumbling about with my thumbs.

On the good news my daughter just came in and told me they broke up so while I was comforting my crying angel daughter with a hug I was grinning inside at the temporary battle victory of this losing war.

That was surprisingly quick.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#27153 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:34 PM

So my wife cares a lot about her workmates, most of whom seem nice enough. But there is this one douchebag that is a fucking wreck and sucks up a lot of her time and compassion. She for some reason has determined to be there for this jerk. He has mistreated her in the past, something I have not forgiven him for. Now the idiot has fallen off his 12 foot balcony, over a railing onto his head and is hospitalized. And my wife, and her coworkers, are of course there at the bedside for the idiot.

On the optimistic side, it has been a remarkably great week-and-a-half to two weeks with my wife, who stepped up after our massive fight. Together, we several days that were memorable and recharging. I have a little more in my emotional reserves now, and I am worried about how much of it I will need. If the idiot dies, it is going to be really bad and I will undoubtedly run out. If he convalesces for a while, but recovers, I can probably last that. But I am already hunkering back down into survival mode in anticipation of stormy days ahead. And I will cling to the memories that better times can return.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27154 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:00 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 20 July 2020 - 05:16 AM, said:

Dammit I hate this skinny ass phone screen constantly clicking the wrong shit from what I want to click fumbling about with my thumbs.

On the good news my daughter just came in and told me they broke up so while I was comforting my crying angel daughter with a hug I was grinning inside at the temporary battle victory of this losing war.

You have no idea how much self restraint I am exerting here.

#27155 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:36 AM

View PostAbyss, on 22 July 2020 - 04:00 AM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 20 July 2020 - 05:16 AM, said:

You have no idea how much self restraint I am exerting here.

I'm proud of you.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#27156 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:26 PM

I wrote an email complaint in to the company that handles the local bus services because for the past two or so months the bus on one particular route at a particular time when driven by one particular bus driver has been stinking to the high heavens of cigarette smoke. This dude used to always smoke at the bus stop which coincidentally is the end/start point of that route and the timetable allows the drivers a brief break there. Well, guess what, he doesn't smoke at the stop anymore, but every time I board the bus at that station when he's driving it STINKS of cigarette smoke. I'm talking "like walking into a wall of cigarette stink" stuff. I'm also the only passanger in 70-80% of the time on that route at 7.30am.

The answer? "Well, we wouldn't want to point fingers to anyone and besides, smoking is not allowed inside busses. Maybe it's the remnants of a smoker boading the bus and exhaling. Also, the time given is not specific enough to investigate."

Uhm, what? I can tell quite well whether a smoker just walked by or someone's been smoking in a closed vehicle, thank you very much. Customer support, my ass :admin:
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#27157 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:32 PM

The family court system in the USA seems so corrupt. I don't know what to do about this ruling in favor of my wife's ex, who is a horrible, money grabbing leech. I just don't understand why he keeps getting the upper hand when he is so obviously awful and has a history of doing awful things. I swear, the judges seem to favor him despite the evidence against him, and I don't know why.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27158 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:00 PM

I am tired and grumpy today. I would have thought the 2 weeks of solidly good days would have given me more emotional reserves, but only 3 bad days have taken me back down again. Between the drama of my wife's idiot co-worker (and her subsequent back pain from being in the hospital all day with him) and the poor court outcome of the latest battle with my wife's ex, I feel down and pessimistic again, yesterday drinking probably more than I have in recent memory trying to suppress a small panic attack.

I know it will get better, that this is always a roller coaster with ups and downs, but I really, sincerely wish that the downs wouldn't be so devastating. I am short with my kids, unmotivated, and hazy, and haven't had a drink at all yet today. So this baseline until I recover from the latest gut punches. At least this time the trouble is with life not directly aimed at my wife, just her surrounding dramas.

Anyway, thanks all for suffering my numerous postings here.
~Abyss

#27159 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:21 PM

Dude, it's called a hangover. Cola and pizza is the only solution.

#27160 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:39 PM

And maybe give your liver a break too. You don't want to be drinking to get through. Even if you think it is helping it's really not. It's better to feel for the most part, even if the feelings are shite because then you will notice when they're not so shite anymore.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users