• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Potter Six

#121 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

It didn't matter what he said, in the end. That's the point to lots of the stuff in book 6 and 7.

I'll agree. It could have been better. However, look at a post a couple above us. Harry still pretty much blows compared to good older witches and wizards. He isn't going Rambo on nobody.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#122 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:14 AM

I haven't read the last book, and didn't check that spoiler... but I'm starting to suspect it has something to do with love, or sacrifice or something. Which might make me vomit.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#123 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

Neither, luckily for you! Lol.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#124 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:38 AM

I saw it, I liked it. Well directed, lots crammed in but with more of a natural progression than Order of the Phoenix.

I really liked the brooding atmosphere of it, and the way they've ommited areas like the moving stairs - slight changes that mean the films don't retread the same scenes over and over, but feel new.

I thought it was great until the end, when
Spoiler

I still liked it though.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#125 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

I could very well say that this is the worst HP film.
Dumbledore looks as an idiot in most of the film and so does Slughorn. Okay, I know that Slughorn is a fat man who enjoys a confy life and isn't the most brave of people but in the book he's still portraited as a poweful wizard. In the 7th book
Spoiler
Second, most of the film revolves around Harry following Malfoy( who was actually one of the best actors along with Snape and Bellatrix) and yes that's what he also does in the book but dammn they could have made it more interesting.
Third, the memories. They skipped most of them! I would actually be surprized if someone who hasn't read the books would understand the next film. Wouldn't they wonder why the hell Voldermort chose exactly those objects as Horcruxes?
Fourth and worst: the scene at the Weasleys.Where did they took that from? It was just a way to put more cool magic in the film and, for me., they utterly failed. In fact there was only one scene with magic that I found great:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 18 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#126 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

It was odd. It was 2.5 hours long but it seemed kind of empty.

It was OK. The books are far better.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#127 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:26 AM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jul 18 2009, 12:12 PM, said:

It was odd. It was 2.5 hours long but it seemed kind of empty.

I know what you mean. 2.5 hours and most of the characters barely got a scene, and in fact generally there wasn't a massive amount of plot going on. This was to an extent a problem with the books too, but I would argue that it is easier to get away with a slow moving plot in a book.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#128 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

I liked it. Very much a setup film for the grand finale film(s) to come.

#129 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn
  • Interests:Martial arts and Metal music

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:14 AM

I saw it today, i thought it was ok, it had some moments that were good, the entire part before they got to hogwarts had me thinking it was going to be as awful as the last film but it got better and i actually thought it wasnt too bad. Definitely better than Order of the Phoenix which has to be one of the worst films ive ever seen.
Spoiler

"Hollow. My name is Kurosaki Ichigo. You killed my mother. Bankai."

#130 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

I found it disappointing. The magic and atmopshere of previous films was gone. And Radcliffe isn't that great of an actor to be honest. Malfoy should've gotten more screen-time, or Snape or even Ronny and Hermoine.

I hope the next two are better.
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#131 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

I went to see it with one of our esteemed forum colleagues on Sunday and it was OK, I haven't read the books really so I'm picking up the story.

Things that anoyed me specifically about this film:

as the children have aged the acting defecit of the core characters has become more stark, in a scene with say Snape and Harry then Rickman can carry Radcliffe, or Broadbent can carry Watson etc but in the scenes where they are all together it's just gash

There is just too much kid sex in it, really didn't do much for the story. I gather this is more entertaining in the books.

Things that I find generally annoying about the films:

The magic system is appalling and clunky.

Everyone spends ages talking about how Harry is the most powerful wizard since voldemort or whatever and in every scene he gets his arse handed to him by the opposing wizards. I kept expecting there to be a moment like Dumai wells or Rand showering the army with lighting from Jordan but it never happens.

I still can't get away from it feeling like Roald Dahl wrote a rip off of the Worst Witch.

Right now as I say I don't know how this ends but it seems rather telegraphed in this film that Harry either is or contains the last hawkrux so he's going to die although I'd expect her to do something with this rather than just bump the poor fucker off, still, yawn. If the farmboy has to die to save the world at least let us have one "I AM THE PRINCE OF THE MORNING!" moment before he shuffles off. I hope we'll get this in the last 2.

This post has been edited by Cougar: 21 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

I AM A TWAT

#132 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:21 PM

In the books the kids around him think he's strong or talented or what ever because he survived Voldemort, but I don't remember anyone actually thinking he is wizard in the league of Voldemort, Snape, Tumbledoor, etc.

And he does get his ass handed to him time and again in the books, so does the Phoenix Order.

All in all, the good guys suck and the bad guys suck less.

#133 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:35 AM

This film was very disappointing, it felt it was really going no where. Then at the end when
Spoiler

Is the book any better then the film, or is it if you dislike one you won't like the other?
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#134 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

The book is good. Haven't seen the film, but everyone I've talked to who have both read the book and seen the film say this film is the worst of the bunch, and a poor representation of the book.
Error: Signature not valid

#135 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

View Postlobo the wolfman, on Jul 22 2009, 06:35 AM, said:

This film was very disappointing, it felt it was really going no where. Then at the end when
Spoiler

Is the book any better then the film, or is it if you dislike one you won't like the other?

Book is much better, especially at the end. And in the book you get a lot more insight into Voldemort's past life and how he was as a kid. Interesting stuff.
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#136 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:38 PM

Yes, and more info on the half-blood prince - like why he is called the half blood prince, something they also kind of missed out of the film for those that haven't read the books.

A few more creepy flashbacks would have been good - voldy chose those objects and places for personal reasons.

(Incidentally, the One Ring sounds a bit like a Horcrux - an object in which a torn part of your soul is kept; and the part that is in it survives even if you are killed, and can be used to return you to life. And, the influence of the soul frament in the horcrux can influence/affect anyone else that holds it, or tries to destroy it).

EDIT I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I just like comparing ideas - like that Bogarts are like the fetches in Proven Guilty. Except less homicidal.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#137 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

Well there isn't anything original under the sun and that's especially true for JK Rowlings work.
I AM A TWAT

#138 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

What's original about JK rowling work is that her world building makes the environment in the books feel magical. The books are about magic and magic is everywhere in the wizards land.

I find that refreshing compared to your average fantasy book that takes place in an exact copy of earth cirka 1500 AD and the only thing magical about the world is old guys with a beard who can throw fireballs and some giant flying lizards.

#139 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:18 PM

In fairness, a lot of the stuff was missed out of the books because the book is too long to be made into one film. They could have swapped some stuff for other bits, but really then people would have complained that they had missed out the other stuff. It was still nearly two and a half hours long!!
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#140 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

I saw this with a friend yesterday and he is huge HP fan, and when we came out we just looked at eachother and said "what a total waste of time, lets get some beer and forget about this crap".

We did agree that HP is so huge that nobody seems to be able to accually see just how bad this is, or just dont dare say it. Not 1 Danish paper had given it a bad review.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users