• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Potter Six

#81 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

The books enjoyability increase by power from 1 to 4. Once you get to 5 you begin dealing with more adult material, and evidently because the age level has increased people wish a more complex and more difficult story-line. You get both. It just never tries to be more than it is, a sincerely complex teen novel. The 4th book remains my second favorite, only behind the 7th because I thoroughly enjoyed the 7th for what it was meant to be. Given a choice between book 7 of Harry Potter and book 5, 6, 7 or 8 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, I would without a doubt, and without hesitation, have chosen Book 7 of Harry Potter time and time again.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 18 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#82 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:53 AM

I'm not going to read another 4 books just because they get progressively better ;) That's like continuously spooning turds into your mouth because you hope that after a while, they won't taste like shit any more.

I thought books 5-8 of MBotF were a let down, so meh on that one :p
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#83 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:56 AM

Lol. Couldn't make you even if I wanted to!

However, I'd have rather read the Potter Series and everything that's come of it for me, than the Malazan series, despite my love of the MBotF.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#84 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Apr 18 2009, 10:56 AM, said:

However, I'd have rather read the Potter Series and everything that's come of it for me, than the Malazan series, despite my love of the MBotF.

Attached File  1231169577068.jpg (28.68K)
Number of downloads: 8

#85 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Apr 18 2009, 09:56 AM, said:

Lol. Couldn't make you even if I wanted to!

There is something seriously wrong with you. Medically.

As for my opinion on the series, the number of posts QuickTidal has made shouting at me about the series should tell you that. But a series with a protagonist who is a petulant vindictive STUPID asshole beyond what is expected of a teenager - in fact, one who is progressively getting younger and younger as the series goes on - with a pair of sidekicks, one of which is more retarded than he is and the other does every damn thing worth remembering; a supporting cast full of idiots and seemingly benevolent elders who could solve all their problems with literally a wave of their hand but don't because DURR HARRY HAS TO SOLVE THEM HIMSELF DESPITE NOT BEING MENTALLY EQUIPPED TO DO SO WITHOUT HELP FROM THE BADGUYS and who then turn out to be - shock horror! - NOT WHAT THEY SEEM in 'twists' a five year old could and did figure out; dumbass villains with ridiculously over-the-top plans which would never work if anyone with an ounce of intelligence or goodwill was present:

Spoiler

I read the whole series, and by book 5 it had turned into something so bad I wouldn't want kids to read it. Book seven could easily have been called 'Hermione Granger and the Months-Long Camping Trip' for all Harry did besides exist. But yeah HD, that's your opinion and you're welcome to have it. Just as long as you know that it's WWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#86 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

Sorry. There's no accounting for taste. The Malazan series is better, as I said above. In fact, many series are better: GRRM, Abercrombie, WoT, Dresden...

Despite being better, they haven't had the impact Potter has had in my life. Too many fantastic memories are intertwined with Potter for that to be the case.

#87 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

Hmm, well I started reading them when I was much younger.
Finished the series for completion.

Contrary to what most people are I prefer the earlier books, by quite a lot.

The first books are obviously childrens books, and as childrens books they are good, childrens books shouldn't be too grown up.

The later books however, she tries to make it darker/more grown up.

Which I think made them worse, because as a childrens writer she is fine. However, I do not think she is really good enough to make it interesting as a more grown up book, so I feel she abandoned the childrens book, which she was good at, to try and make it more grown up, which she was not so good at.

So, the first few are good as childrens books.
But the later ones I felt tried to be grown up, and just weren't as good as many of the other grown up books around.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#88 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

This being the movie thread, I recommend we move further critical discussion of Potter literature to the Other Fantasy Forum.

Eager for this movie to come out. However, the PG rating is a bit disappointing. I've heard grumbles about certain scenes and I'm hoping those grumbles are false, otherwise I'll be perturbed.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 18 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

#89 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

Hermiones undisgisable tits and tight ass alone ensures that this will be at least a PG13 ;)

Posted Image

#90 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

She makes me feel like a filthy old man.

#91 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:48 AM

You're all perverts.

And the movie looks fucking awesome. I'm Potter fan too. Ripped through the books when they came out and love the movies too. They're just plain fun.

#92 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on Apr 18 2009, 03:35 PM, said:

Spoiler

Or, what was to stop Moody from changing something like Harrys toothbush into a portkey instead?!

I think the trailer is great... can't wait for the film.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#93 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:16 AM

Movie is tracking at 95% overall and 96% amongst top critics at Rotten Tomatoes. Got tickets for this film tomorrow night. Very, very excited.

#94 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

Ive read some reviews, Apparently this one is allot more character driven, less pointless action and more story driven dialogue and character development.
Malfoy comes into his own and the Weasleys play a much bigger part. All in all its not just about harry, Harmoiny and Ron anymore. Which is good.
Also... lots more Dumbledore action...
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#95 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

I honestly don't recall Dumbledore doing that much in the book except
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 15 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#96 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on Jul 15 2009, 10:49 AM, said:

I honestly don't recall Dumbledore doing that much in the book except
Spoiler

well thats what the review says...
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#97 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

I saw the movie last night at midnight. I thought it was really good. I would say they have strayed the most so far from any of the books with this one. At the same time they did try to stay true to the book where ever possible. I think they've strayed a bit from the original story line in this one in orderr to properly set up the last two. There was a lot of material to deal with in this movie and they seem to have gotten all of the important parts. At times it felt a little rushed, but again I think they were trying to touch on everything they possibly could.

You do see more of the other characters in this movie, and they've begun developing the relationships between Ron and Hermione, Harry and Ginny. Dumbledore is featured quite heavily, although I was hoping for more of the memories regarding Voldemort. Also disappointed
Spoiler
We also begin to see more of professor Snape. I don't know why this was called the most violent of the movies so far, because there really wasn't that much violence.

Anyways I don't want to spoil it for anyone who's yet to see it. I will come back and discuss it further once people begin commenting. Overall an excellent movie, not as good as the book, but then movies never are. Chances are I will probably go see it again, but I am a huge HP fan so that's not unusual for me.

This post has been edited by teholbeddict: 15 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#98 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

Well of course there is more focus on Tumbledoor
Spoiler

Apt, liked the ending of the sixth book.

#99 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

View PostAptorian, on Jul 15 2009, 08:53 AM, said:

Well of course there is more focus on Tumbledoor
Spoiler

Apt, liked the ending of the sixth book.

Yes, although the
Spoiler
So you will be pleased Apt
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#100 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

I read up to .... Goblet of Fire (I think) because my mum had them one summer I had to stay with her. I haven't read the rest so the movies are a bit of a guilty pleasure. I was reading an interview with Daniel Ratcliffe last week and managed to spoiler the big deaths at the end of the last few books! Awwww shucks.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users