Ye Big TV Thread

#7061 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 May 2022 - 09:53 PM

View PostAptorian, on 09 May 2022 - 05:46 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 16 April 2022 - 12:44 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 15 April 2022 - 03:36 PM, said:

I bounced off the first episode of the Vox Machina TV-show on Netflix. However YouTube started suggesting compilations from the Critical Role campaign that inspired the show.

Somehow I now find myself ten hours into the casts original campaign. This is oddly fun to watch, very chill. It helps that these people are trained actors.

Stick with it and you won't regret it. I felt the same when I first started watching it... how am I enjoying this so much..!??!

I'd never gamed or watched DnD but always had an interest. Found Critical Role after reading about the Kickstarter and I gave it a shot at the start of lockdown, absolutely flew through the first campaign. Loved it. There are so many epic/funny/sad moments to enjoy and the show improves the further you get into the campaign.

You'll also find yourself hearing the casts voices everywhere now you know them, especially when you're a gamer. They're in shitloads stuff.

I'm now on episode 24 of Critical Role season 1

This show is phenomenal. The highs and lows of the story is amazing. I know there's a little planning behind the scene but it's incredible that all this is improvised storytelling. I've never been so worried about central characters dying from a bad roll of the dice. And I love the chemistry between the cast.

Dude, you are JUST getting to where most consider it gets really good. Ep 26, Consequences and Cows is usually considered when they take a step up.

Enjoy
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7062 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 May 2022 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 10 May 2022 - 03:39 AM, said:

He would sit down, take a hit off a joint the size of your arm, lean back, exhale a cloud to rival Mt St Helen's, and say 'Yeah, I warned you. i fucking warned you.... about all of it, i completely totally warned you. It all happened anyways. Now what are you going to fucking do about it?'.

Yep. And I wish he was still here. His standup from like decades ago is so perfectly relevant today that you could not write better material that is topical.

He would be SO. PISSED.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7063 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 May 2022 - 07:16 PM

Carlin would be equal opportunity though, as I think he would have a lot to say about the pendulum swing regarding free speech on campuses and dare I say it? - wokeness. And outrage culture that social media has amplified. And pearl clutching and victimhood and virtue signaling .... I could go on and on. You know, all the nonsense that is in everyone's playbook now.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 11 May 2022 - 07:16 PM

#7064 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:58 PM

Total car crash TV but I am addicted, The Curse of Oak Island has finished for another year with hardly any progress but still, I must watch every ep! The narrator loves his speculation shit!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7065 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 May 2022 - 02:18 PM

View Postchamp, on 12 May 2022 - 01:58 PM, said:

Total car crash TV but I am addicted, The Curse of Oak Island has finished for another year with hardly any progress but still, I must watch every ep! The narrator loves his speculation shit!

My mom watches, and I'm like "But mom, it's been like 9 years and they've found largely fuck all."

LOL

She loves it though, so who am I to stop her, considering I used to watch ANCIENT ALIENS for shits and giggles.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7066 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:17 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 May 2022 - 02:18 PM, said:

My mom watches, and I'm like "But mom, it's been like 9 years and they've found largely fuck all."

LOL

She loves it though, so who am I to stop her, considering I used to watch ANCIENT ALIENS for shits and giggles.

I kind of feel the same way about the fact that my wife got me watching The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch. She had been watching it from the beginning, I believe, but it wasn't really on my radar, though I have plenty of curiosity about UFOs, UAP, etc. The 3rd season just started up; we watched the 2nd ep last night. There appears to be legit activity at this ranch in Utah but I still feel somewhat...sheepish, maybe(?) for watching.

#7067 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:59 PM

I tried to watch The UnXplained (hosted by William Shatner). I dipped out after season 1, and after only cherry picking the episodes I thought would be interesting (so probably watched 5 episodes in total). William Shatner leans hard into the stereotypes that have defined his quirkiness, which is off putting. Also, god bless him he's old as dirt, but damn he looks weird, which is even more off putting.

#7068 User is offline   champ 

Posted 12 May 2022 - 07:47 PM

LOL

I kind of have an excuse or that is what I tell myself anyway haha, I read the "legend" as a kid, found it in a "grown-ups" book and I always remembered it, wanted and wished to know more about it over the years but nothing materialised... twenty years later the show rocks up and it was a case of yep, sign me up! I shake my head at the commentator and how he links a random piece of metal to the ark of the covenant but I still somehow enjoy watching it, definitely a guilty pleasure.

The thing is they do find random shit and it's a case of how the fuck is that there?! Which leads on to...

View Postparan falcon, on 12 May 2022 - 03:17 PM, said:

LOL

I kind of feel the same way about the fact that my wife got me watching The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch. She had been watching it from the beginning, I believe, but it wasn't really on my radar, though I have plenty of curiosity about UFOs, UAP, etc. The 3rd season just started up; we watched the 2nd ep last night. There appears to be legit activity at this ranch in Utah but I still feel somewhat...sheepish, maybe(?) for watching.

It's the same with Oak Island, shenanigans has gone on there over the years, that much is clear. They find random shit like a medieval stone road at the bottom of a swamp, parchment buried 100 feet underground, metals and wood dating back to the 1400s-1600s and gold/silver traces taken from water samples from the excavations they do but ultimately if anything was there, I fhink it would have been found by now. Still, it serves an itch I must have somewhere that keeps me hooked...

Tehol said:

#7069 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 May 2022 - 01:29 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2022 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 03 May 2022 - 05:07 PM, said:

"Wow, this show really drops viewers into the middle of the story and trusts them to figure it out!"

- Me, watching YELLOWSTONE for the first time, thinking i'm watching S1ep1, actually watching S4ep1.

Well.....The reason the wife and I have not progressed in the series yet is because S1Ep1 is ALSO like that....we were SO lost in the first few eps we've simply not returned yet.

I think there show runners and writers just like this type of storytelling.

There are, and frankly i am a HUGE fan of that style, and to their credit while we missed some (a lot) of the more subtle story because d'uh, we hadn't seen it, we had little trouble following what was going on and were totally ready to keep watching, when the little screen that showed the next ep displayed 'S4' and i clued in.

It's a solid show, decent start and gets better quickly. Worth a little more eyetime to see if you like. ANy comparison to Ozark is sort of a stretch beyond the most basic, but the essentials of a family with deep deep conflicts, at the edge of falling apart, having to do whatever it takes to save themselves, is there.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7070 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 May 2022 - 08:31 AM

Not sure this is a film or a TV show but I'm intrigued!
https://youtu.be/2tb9ENbFWvQ
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7071 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 May 2022 - 11:55 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 May 2022 - 08:31 AM, said:

Not sure this is a film or a TV show but I'm intrigued!
https://youtu.be/2tb9ENbFWvQ

TV series I think. I'm not sure we need more Raccoon City RE stuff, but for fans of the franchise I hope it's good.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7072 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 May 2022 - 04:07 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 10 May 2022 - 09:53 PM, said:

I bounced off the first episode of the Vox Machina TV-show on Netflix. However YouTube started suggesting compilations from the Critical Role campaign that inspired the show.

Somehow I now find myself ten hours into the casts original campaign. This is oddly fun to watch, very chill. It helps that these people are trained actors.

Stick with it and you won't regret it. I felt the same when I first started watching it... how am I enjoying this so much..!??!

I'd never gamed or watched DnD but always had an interest. Found Critical Role after reading about the Kickstarter and I gave it a shot at the start of lockdown, absolutely flew through the first campaign. Loved it. There are so many epic/funny/sad moments to enjoy and the show improves the further you get into the campaign.

You'll also find yourself hearing the casts voices everywhere now you know them, especially when you're a gamer. They're in shitloads stuff.

This show is phenomenal. The highs and lows of the story is amazing. I know there's a little planning behind the scene but it's incredible that all this is improvised storytelling. I've never been so worried about central characters dying from a bad roll of the dice. And I love the chemistry between the cast.

Dude, you are JUST getting to where most consider it gets really good. Ep 26, Consequences and Cows is usually considered when they take a step up.

Enjoy

Reached episode 28. And you guys were right. With the introduction of the Briarwoods and the fallout of that first encounter it certainly gets interesting for the team.

I got a bit distracted by the underlying tension though. I saw a video about Orion Acaba/Tiberius leaving/being removed from the show after episode 27 and it was hard not to focus on everything he said or did the last few episodes.

It's a shame he left, I liked the Tiberius character but Acaba really was completely tone deaf by the end and really made the show drag along when ever he wanted to do ten things at once for his own benefits.

That old lady totally deserved a knifing though.

#7073 User is offline   champ 

Posted 15 May 2022 - 07:47 PM

View PostAptorian, on 15 May 2022 - 04:07 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 10 May 2022 - 09:53 PM, said:

Enjoy

Reached episode 28. And you guys were right. With the introduction of the Briarwoods and the fallout of that first encounter it certainly gets interesting for the team.

I got a bit distracted by the underlying tension though. I saw a video about Orion Acaba/Tiberius leaving/being removed from the show after episode 27 and it was hard not to focus on everything he said or did the last few episodes.

It's a shame he left, I liked the Tiberius character but Acaba really was completely tone deaf by the end and really made the show drag along when ever he wanted to do ten things at once for his own benefits.

That old lady totally deserved a knifing though.

Awesome that you have stuck with it, as Slow Ben has said, you're really now getting to the good stuff too... episode 31 I think it is with some amazing Scanlan action...

I had the same thoughts re the Orion situation, you could tell towards the end that something was going to give but once that situation plays out, the group really starts to come together and find their dynamic. The mirror shopping incident was pure cringe watching.

It's ridiculous how time can stop for you and you're glued to the screen just waiting for the outcome of a dice roll... honestly, there are so many absolutely massive moments that come down to a final roll, makes for some excellent episodes.

Happy viewing!

This post has been edited by champ: 15 May 2022 - 07:49 PM

Tehol said:

#7074 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 May 2022 - 07:39 PM

Sweet! What We Do in the Shadows new season (s4) will be back sooner than I was expecting. It starts July 12. I was expecting not until September. The cliffhanger at the end of season 3 has been haunting me, so bring on July 12!

#7075 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 May 2022 - 09:17 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 May 2022 - 07:39 PM, said:

Sweet! What We Do in the Shadows new season (s4) will be back sooner than I was expecting. It starts July 12. I was expecting not until September. The cliffhanger at the end of season 3 has been haunting me, so bring on July 12!

Hells. Yes.

Wrapped up the final season of Last Kingdom. Part of it was same ole same ole formula from the first 4 seasons. But it ended strong, with a satisfying finish. Now waiting for the movie!

On to Moon Knight.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7076 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 May 2022 - 03:27 AM

I watched the George Carlin doc on HBO (all 3.5 hours) and it's pretty great. I think it's the same team that did the Garry Shandling one, and it's just as good. Only very rarely does it let standup comedian talking heads crawl up their own butts about about how special their role in society is. Most stick to the subject of Carlin in particular, one of the very few who may have actually earned that esteem. And while it's not in the movie, some clips did remind me of that time he sure took a hammer to those crazy wokesters.

I also watched the Kids in the Hall reunion show on Amz, pretty darn great. Good integration of classic characters and new ideas, so I think it hit the balance. Plus you get to see Kevin McDonald naked more often than (maybe) you'd expect!

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7077 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 May 2022 - 05:33 AM

@Worry

I don't know who Carlin is specifically referring to. Is it important, or is it the general principle that he's talking about the important bit?

In other news - finished Reacher. Thoughts on the end in dedthread.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 22 May 2022 - 05:36 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7078 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 May 2022 - 08:36 AM

He's talking about Andrew Dice Clay (interview was 1990, for reference). Dunno if the Dice Man had international fame, but if he did, you're elderly enough to remember it!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7079 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:05 AM

OK ta.

Yeah I think I remember him. Ford Fairlane, and those fucked up nursery rhymes?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7080 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 May 2022 - 08:47 PM

Been watching the HBO documentary about Tony Hawk ("Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Off"). It's fantastic. I did not know when he started out he was widely despised by other professional skaters. I guess having your dad create the NSA (National Skateboard Association) and organize professional events at your home park didn't help. That and his dad being former military and attempting to apply that structure to a bunch of anarchy loving skate punks. Also, Hawk was very technical and didn't initially have a lot of style, which was another aspect that was despised. He always did maintain more of a technical vibe more then ever being considered artistic. But that approach really pushed the progression of the sport. Hawk got respect when he won at a legendary park and from there, as he started to grow into his lanky form (as a little kid, holy crap was he skinny), he started to dominate and win EVERYTHING. It became, "who's going to take 2nd prize at that point." The documentary has been a fun watch, also the soundtrack is great.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users