• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7081 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 May 2022 - 10:20 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 22 May 2022 - 08:47 PM, said:

Been watching the HBO documentary about Tony Hawk ("Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Off"). It's fantastic. I did not know when he started out he was widely despised by other professional skaters. I guess having your dad create the NSA (National Skateboard Association) and organize professional events at your home park didn't help. That and his dad being former military and attempting to apply that structure to a bunch of anarchy loving skate punks. Also, Hawk was very technical and didn't initially have a lot of style, which was another aspect that was despised. He always did maintain more of a technical vibe more then ever being considered artistic. But that approach really pushed the progression of the sport. Hawk got respect when he won at a legendary park and from there, as he started to grow into his lanky form (as a little kid, holy crap was he skinny), he started to dominate and win EVERYTHING. It became, "who's going to take 2nd prize at that point." The documentary has been a fun watch, also the soundtrack is great.

I heard they changed the soundtrack of the remastered Tony Hawk 1&2 game which annoys me. I dunno if they changed it completely or just added some tracks but still the soundtrack to TH2 was just amazing!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7082 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 May 2022 - 05:34 AM

I think the recent GTA remaster had the same thing. Those licencing agreements are expired and it's probably too expensive to reset all of them.

#7083 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 May 2022 - 02:49 PM

I know a majority of you aren't sports fans, but you don't have to like basketball to enjoy Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty. It's a tour de force for John C. Reilly as owner Jerry Buss (he should win all the awards!). The cast of characters are dialed up caricatures of the real people to a absurd degree, so when they introduce the Boston Celtic's Larry Bird to the song posted below, it will have you rising out of your seat and yelling "fuckin' no way!" Its a great series... give it a try.

#7084 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 May 2022 - 07:28 PM

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7085 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 26 May 2022 - 08:53 PM

It seems Ray Liotta has passed in his sleep.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7086 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 May 2022 - 11:37 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 April 2022 - 03:06 PM, said:

TOKYO VICE

I realize this is based on a book by a real white reporter who worked/works in Japan….but we didn’t need it to be adapted to get a cool late-90's-set Yakuza/Tokyo based Japanese crime thriller tv show…and the fact that it was shot with multiple SA accused Ansel Elgort makes it even worse.

Like I would 100% be the audience for this….but the white lead just makes me annoyed, and beyond Elgort being as interesting as wet beige paste, he’s also been credibly accused of being pretty heinous...so I have less than no interest now. Which sucks because there is some cool Japanese talent in this.

Like HBO.... Keigo Higashino's, Detective Galileo series is RIGHT THERE.....but no instead we get "white guy moves to Japan and becomes a reporter working with cops there...because gods forbid we have a fully Japanese cast and leads. Gotta have a doofy American white guy lead.

So I have to take most of this back. I have watched half the season of TOKYO VICE so far, and it's really compelling. I didn't want to like it. But it's really quite good (probably Michael Mann's influence?). Ken Watanabe fucking STEALS his role.

Anyways, check it out, it's on HBO MAX (Crave in Canada).

EDIT: Just wanted to add two complaints though.

1. The Yakuza speaking so much English...the actual Yakuza are mostly far right nationalists, and therefore would not speak English that much or even want to....nor do I feel they would have even talked to Jake...but that's neither her nor there. The portions in English in this show feel totally needless anyways since so much of it is in Japanese and Elgorts Japanese is incredible. Why even bother to have any English?
2. The hostess plot line needs tidying up, it's messy and feels superfluous at times...even though I'm sure it's not.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 May 2022 - 03:30 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7087 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 27 May 2022 - 04:07 PM

Ep 1 of Obi Wan reaction: I love it, I hate it.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#7088 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 27 May 2022 - 05:29 PM

Obi Wan Ep 2 reaction: I am annoyed. I am touched.

#7089 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 May 2022 - 09:20 PM

View PostDown the shitter in the great flush, on 27 May 2022 - 04:07 PM, said:

Ep 1 of Obi Wan reaction: I love it, I hate it.

View PostDown the shitter in the great flush, on 27 May 2022 - 05:29 PM, said:

Obi Wan Ep 2 reaction: I am annoyed. I am touched.

Well if nothing else you've at least piqued my curiosity.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7090 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 May 2022 - 05:29 PM

Now on episode 39 of Critical Role, Omens.

Holy shit. The Chroma Collective just arrived. This is some bad ass shit. Forget about Netflix, BioWare needs to buy the rights to this story.

#7091 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 28 May 2022 - 06:52 PM

24 hrs after Obi Wan viewing reaction: Massive bitterness over any jelly.

The coming weeks hopefully spread fresh jelly.

*note I have only watched once with my daughter. I still need to redo with my son.

#7092 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 May 2022 - 03:12 PM

Jodie Foster is going to be in the next season of True Detective (s4). So, possibly going to delight fans with some Clarice Starling hooks? Seasons 2 & 3 weren't all that great. They probably would have been received better if it weren't for the lighting in a bottle they gave us with season 1. I wonder if season 4 will measure up?

#7093 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 May 2022 - 05:19 PM

Been a few days since Obi Wan. My son said he doesn’t want to watch it and I realized that I didn’t care if didn’t. I have not rewatched it.

Some thoughts:
Spoiler

#7094 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 01 June 2022 - 05:02 AM

Each episode of the rings of power is slated to cost more than 50 mil each

Looking good! Hope it delivers
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#7095 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 01 June 2022 - 10:40 PM

Obi Wan ep 3… I’m fucking numb and I want to take advantage of that by bashing my head against a tree or something equally as sturdy. Omg just no…

#7096 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 June 2022 - 05:24 AM

The Orville: New Horizons is dropping a few eps today. After avoiding it for the Seth M. associations, I did give it a shot recently cuz of the gushing from you guys + a hankering for TNG type stories, and it turns out the show is not half bad. Or it's exactly half bad, half good. Jk, it's mostly good story-wise, and half good character-wise. Dr. Finn (and her kids), Bortus (and family), and of course Isaac are all pretty great. The rest I can take or leave, but oh well. You guys were right, and I'm surprisingly excited to jump back in with these dorks for some space-faring, first-contact adventures (except for Capt. Ed Mercer, they should kill him off).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7097 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 June 2022 - 12:53 PM

View Postworry, on 02 June 2022 - 05:24 AM, said:

The Orville: New Horizons is dropping a few eps today. After avoiding it for the Seth M. associations, I did give it a shot recently cuz of the gushing from you guys + a hankering for TNG type stories, and it turns out the show is not half bad. Or it's exactly half bad, half good. Jk, it's mostly good story-wise, and half good character-wise. Dr. Finn (and her kids), Bortus (and family), and of course Isaac are all pretty great. The rest I can take or leave, but oh well. You guys were right, and I'm surprisingly excited to jump back in with these dorks for some space-faring, first-contact adventures (except for Capt. Ed Mercer, they should kill him off).

IT's a GREAT show. People always forget that Seth Macfarlane is a LONG time Trek nerd, and was into this stuff long before he ever did his goofy comedy stuff. It also gets more serious as the show goes on.

#7098 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 June 2022 - 06:05 AM

We should split the difference: remembering that Seth MacFarlane is a long time Trek fan and then also killing the character Captain Ed Mercer off the show.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7099 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 June 2022 - 11:34 AM

View Postworry, on 03 June 2022 - 06:05 AM, said:

We should split the difference: remembering that Seth MacFarlane is a long time Trek fan and then also killing the character Captain Ed Mercer off the show.

I like Ed. Shrug.

#7100 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 June 2022 - 07:43 PM

Oh dear me, History channel brought back The Kings of Pain for a new season. I was pretty sure they explored all they could with this concept in season one, but I guess not. So these dumbasses went really stupid and allowed themselves to get bit by the Orange Baboon Tarantula (aka "OBT" or Orange Bitey Thing). It's an "old world" tarantula, which I guess are degrees more potent in venom than new world tarantulas. This one comes from the mysterious savannas and grasslands of Africa. So prior to getting bit, the guys had a zoom discussion with an owner about his experience after a bite. He was bitten on his ring finger and he said it felt like the knuckle on his finger was going to explode. The intense pain lasts hours. Then a few days later the cramps start and you feel like an old man with arthritis. And then after that, he said months later you still have flare ups of joint pain, and not just in the vicinity of the bite, but all over. He said the bite won't kill you, but you'll wish it did. These idiots went ahead and got bit anyway. It could have been played up for the show, but I don't know man, I wouldn't go ahead with it after learning those side effects. I'd rather be stung by a bullet ant on the the under side of the my mushroom cap if it was only brief pain, compared to prolonged effects way down the road.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users