• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6981 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 February 2022 - 08:35 PM

Has anyone watched Murderville? Will Arnett as the detective with a different celebrity sidekick every episode - they have to solve a murder but the celebrity doesn't have a script. It's very funny and quite ridiculous!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6982 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 February 2022 - 09:18 AM

Watching the Jack Reacher TV show on Amazon.

I've definitely read the book this is based on. Can sort of remember the plot.

It's pretty solid. Not amazing writing but the story is moving at a good clip.

Not sure about the actor playing Reacher. He's got the size, he's charming in an All American sort of way but he's got the acting range of a two by four.
When ever he's trying to seem intimidating he looks like a blank canvas.

#6983 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 February 2022 - 03:35 PM

Finished the first season of Reacher.

Liked the show. I'd read the book so no big surprises, though I believe there was some tweaks to the story beats.

One thing I didn't like, that also dominated the books, is the comic book sadism of the bad guys. It's not enough that the bad guys are vad, they have to be monstrously evil for some reason. It was the main reason why I never got past book two.

#6984 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 12 February 2022 - 07:37 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 February 2022 - 08:35 PM, said:

Has anyone watched Murderville? Will Arnett as the detective with a different celebrity sidekick every episode - they have to solve a murder but the celebrity doesn't have a script. It's very funny and quite ridiculous!

So I think this show somewhat depends on the guest star. Marshawn Lynch was ok but the episode with Kumail Nanjiani was utterly hilarious. The fact that the actors are allowed to crack up on screen and appear to be actively trying to make each other laugh just makes it funnier to me.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6985 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 13 February 2022 - 06:08 AM

The Nanjiani episode was hilarious. I like Murderville.

I just came to post I'm super excited for the return of my favourite show, Futurama! Revived AGAIN for 2023 on Hulu. Is there another show in history cancelled THREE TIMES and revived for a fourth kick at the can? The later stuff is certainly not as good as the original FOX run, but I just love that the show won't die - and I'm sure it will still be funnier than Disenchantment, which is nominal at best. I've watched three seasons of it and it still took me about 24 hours to remember the name of the demon.

Anyway, I'm excited, no matter what happens. Hopefully they hire John DiMaggio shortly, although I'm suspicious there's more to that contract negotiation than meets the eye.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#6986 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 February 2022 - 08:32 AM

I suspect without DiMaggio it will not be the same and as much as I truly love Futurama I'd hesitate to watch without him.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6987 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:45 AM

View PostAbyss, on 09 February 2022 - 05:55 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 07 February 2022 - 12:02 AM, said:

I told my wife Vox Machina is the first show I've been really, really excited for in ages. I was just hoping not to be disappointed, Instead it's even better than I'd held out hope for.

The scene with the sun tree was even more perfect than I'd imagined in my head. Suitably creepy.

Reacher is next on my watch list. That's good to hear.

I assume you mean the scene in ep 5

Spoiler

OMG that was creepy as fuck.

7 8 and 9 have landed.
So much for going to bed early tonight.
Scanlan in ep 7.... PERFECT.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6988 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 February 2022 - 01:30 PM

#6989 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:43 PM

Started watching Barry, the Bill Hader hitman comedy, currently finishing up episode 3 of season 1.

It's the show about the awkward hitman Barry, who dreams of quitting his profession and becoming an actor.

Barry's terrible at acting but great at murdering people.

I can't say I care for the actor's class part of the show but the hitman stuff is fun. I love how unenthusiastically good at his job Barry is. It's a comedic show but when the action starts, it's surprisingly tight.

#6990 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:57 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 February 2022 - 03:45 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 09 February 2022 - 05:55 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 07 February 2022 - 12:02 AM, said:

I told my wife Vox Machina is the first show I've been really, really excited for in ages. I was just hoping not to be disappointed, Instead it's even better than I'd held out hope for.

The scene with the sun tree was even more perfect than I'd imagined in my head. Suitably creepy.

Reacher is next on my watch list. That's good to hear.

I assume you mean the scene in ep 5

Spoiler

OMG that was creepy as fuck.

7 8 and 9 have landed.
So much for going to bed early tonight.
Scanlan in ep 7.... PERFECT.

That Scanlan moment was the infamous Scanbo section of the campaign going full on Rambo. Not how I imagined it but still immense to see on screen, totally epic!

View PostAptorian, on 14 February 2022 - 06:43 PM, said:

Started watching Barry, the Bill Hader hitman comedy, currently finishing up episode 3 of season 1.

It's the show about the awkward hitman Barry, who dreams of quitting his profession and becoming an actor.

Barry's terrible at acting but great at murdering people.

I can't say I care for the actor's class part of the show but the hitman stuff is fun. I love how unenthusiastically good at his job Barry is. It's a comedic show but when the action starts, it's surprisingly tight.

I binged season 2 yesterday and really enjoyed it. Definitely an improvement on season 1, certainly ramps up the tension.

Some stuff is a bit too convenient but I can get past that...

Similar thoughts to you about the acting part. Barry is best when it turns to the darkside but it keeps that dark humour and fun about it making it a quality show.

This post has been edited by champ: 14 February 2022 - 07:01 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#6991 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.

Posted 16 February 2022 - 05:33 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 February 2022 - 08:32 AM, said:

I suspect without DiMaggio it will not be the same and as much as I truly love Futurama I'd hesitate to watch without him.

They still working on Dimaggio. So he's still quite possible. I think he, as a person, is having trouble fitting in with either the rest of them or society at the moment - rather than a money thing.

Unfortunately, that might make it harder to land him. It's possible a replacement can do an amazing Bender impression too - for example, in one commentary they have three voice actors do Zoidberg voices and then everyone laughs because two sound perfect and the third, weaker-sounding one was actually Billy West.

#6992 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:56 AM

Interesting... Do you know anything more about the '"not fitting in with them or society" comment?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6993 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 February 2022 - 01:30 PM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 16 February 2022 - 05:33 AM, said:

They still working on Dimaggio. So he's still quite possible. I think he, as a person, is having trouble fitting in with either the rest of them or society at the moment - rather than a money thing.

Uh no.

This guy leads the charge on getting voice actors more recognized and paid what they are worth, so it makes perfect sense he'd try to get himself (and maybe the others) more money.

And he's like best friends swift West and Sagal and a few others.

And here's him talking about it....and it absolutely has to do with respect, and money and he wants them ALL to be paid more for it....and West and Sagal were just haggled into accepting what Hulu/Disney offered, and DiMaggio didn't back down.

EDIT: Also, is ANYONE surprised that Disney is low-balling people and fucking them over monetarily and nickel and diming talent? They have a LONG history of doing exactly this.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 February 2022 - 01:32 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6994 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 17 February 2022 - 05:54 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 February 2022 - 01:30 PM, said:

View PostTatterdemalion, on 16 February 2022 - 05:33 AM, said:

Uh no.

This guy leads the charge on getting voice actors more recognized and paid what they are worth, so it makes perfect sense he'd try to get himself (and maybe the others) more money.

And he's like best friends swift West and Sagal and a few others.

And here's him talking about it....and it absolutely has to do with respect, and money and he wants them ALL to be paid more for it....and West and Sagal were just haggled into accepting what Hulu/Disney offered, and DiMaggio didn't back down.

EDIT: Also, is ANYONE surprised that Disney is low-balling people and fucking them over monetarily and nickel and diming talent? They have a LONG history of doing exactly this.

This all checks out too. I know they're all friends, and know he's a fighter. I watched a live Futurama voice actors charity event a while ago which featured some of the cast and that's where I'm getting my hearsay from. They seemed to casually imply he wouldn't meet COVID mandates so no one had seen him while the rest had been getting together for events. I doubt he's too happy about recastings like Apu in Simpsons, or Jenny Slate on Big Mouth, as not so long ago he made a documentary preaching how cartoons are amazing BECAUSE no one has to care about anyone's actual cultural background. The guy's great so I probably shouldn't warble random vagaries as I did. I wonder what the $ difference is, since YES Futurama is a cult classic and overall hit, but it's also diminished gradually and the last two seasons, though with bonefide excellent episodes, are not at the level of the FOX run which brought Futurama its success.

#6995 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 17 February 2022 - 09:45 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 February 2022 - 01:30 PM, said:

But look at Micky. And Goofy. And Pluto. Aren't they cute?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6996 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 February 2022 - 08:33 PM

Watched Jimmy Carr's latest stand-up show, His Dark Material.

I'm not actually that big of a fan of his stand up routine, but I saw he got a lot of criticism for a holocaust joke, so I wanted to check it out to see what all the fuss is about.

It's a fine show. Basically the same old bit he's been doing for decades. Given the rest of the material, it's funny that The Holocaust joke the press is running with.

#6997 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 February 2022 - 03:03 AM

Vox Machina season 1 finale. Great fun.

And season 2 confirmed! :thumbsup:

https://www.hitc.com...-critical-role/

EDIT: did NOT know the first season was Kickstarted.

Also watching Space Force Season 2.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 19 February 2022 - 03:05 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6998 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 February 2022 - 03:56 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 19 February 2022 - 03:03 AM, said:

EDIT: did NOT know the first season was Kickstarted.

They'd originally wanted to raise 750,000 to make a 20 minute special. They ended up with 11.3 million.

Just wrapped it up also. Fucking perfect. I even expected alot and i still loved absolutely every second of it.

Also really, really enjoying Peacemaker. Going to catch the last couple episodes this weekend.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6999 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 February 2022 - 02:53 PM

I just binged Peacemaker over the last 24 hours (thank you SB).

Am I alone in thinking this is the best DCEU series? Like, by a long shot?
I've seen for years John Cena was willing to pull the piss on his perceived stereotype, but god damn, who knew he could actually act? And play the piano?

Nine amazingly emotive CGI bald eagles out of ten.

"Do ya really, really, really, really wanna taste iiiiiiit ...?"

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 20 February 2022 - 02:59 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7000 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 February 2022 - 03:31 PM

You just reminded me I was going to watch this last week.

Just watched the first episode. That's some really awkward comedy and cool action scenes. Peacemaker is kind of a sad character but at the same time completely oblivious at his own ridiculousness.

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users