• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6961 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 February 2022 - 12:20 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 02 February 2022 - 11:55 PM, said:

The Olympics are a reprehensible affair, but this year it is particularly reprehensible. How do you select a winter site where 100% of the snow has to be man-made? So I'm probably not going to watch any of it, but I wanted to bring to your attention that these masters of curling are back representing USA. Also, it's the four year Olympic cycle where people care about curling again.

https://thegrandslam...s/team-shuster/

Posted Image

I imagine the actual games will be so boring that live news coverage keeps cutting back to the food and drink preparing and serving robots... or so I hope.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 03 February 2022 - 12:21 AM

#6962 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 February 2022 - 03:46 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 29 January 2022 - 10:03 AM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 28 January 2022 - 08:49 PM, said:

Spoiler alert. It was fucking awesome.

Agreed. Get on it, nerds! :thumbsup:

Absolutely loved the first three eps, stayed awake to watch them just after they dropped at midnight. Next day at work was a write-off but it was worth it!!!
Excited for tomorrow!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#6963 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 February 2022 - 05:20 PM

'What Everyone Got Wrong About the Last Beijing Olympics' Opening Ceremony

[...] The bar to clear is impossibly high. Zhang's 2008 opening ceremony transcended the genre of the Olympic pageant to become a genuinely historical event. With a budget of $300 million and a volunteer corps of 15,000 performers, the show reached an estimated television audience of 2 billion people. It's a feat that still boggles the mind: The biggest live audience in human history tuned in, not for a moon landing, a political declaration, or even a sporting event, but for a four-hour piece of performance art.

As the most widely watched piece of political theater ever produced, the 2008 ceremony is also one of the most widely misunderstood. [...] commentators in the West repeatedly compared the coordinated choreography of 2,008 fou drummers and tai chi masters to military processions, drawing upon old images of the purpose stadiums have served in communist and fascist states. [...] ESPN was reporting that performers, training 16 hours a day for three months, had in fact been living in army barracks.

[...] "I can't suffer through the London Olympics. … Did you see the Beijing opening ceremonies? We don't have control over our people like that."

[...] they were overseen by a rising star in the Chinese Communist Party, who, in the course of managing the Games, went from provincial chairman to national vice president and heir apparent: Xi [...]

[...] there was a time when the explicit propaganda of state speeches and mass calisthenics filled stadiums in China, but that was before the CCP took part in the Olympics. The first Games attended by Chinese athletes and dignitaries were in 1984 in Los Angeles, where they witnessed what remains one of the most garishly designed and overtly corporate Olympics ever. This sparked an enduring public debate back in the homeland about whether to continue the tradition of propagandistic National Games or adapt to global, commercial sporting culture. In this context, the 2008 Beijing ceremony, which combined mass choreography with pop performances, marked a transition to something new, capable of answering several different directives. At one moment, soldiers from the People's Liberation Army might goose-step to the podium to raise the Chinese flag; at another, pop stars from China and Britain would sing a bilingual theme song, as a promotional stunt, under smiley face fireworks.

[...] Zhang Yimou's show needed to take on separate meanings for internal and external audiences. He planned this from the beginning, when an enormous, white LED screen, representing a blank scroll, rolled out at midfield to mark the beginning of the artistic section. The theme of paper was Zhang's initial concept for the entire ceremony[...] insisting on this "highlight" over the protestations of both local officials and foreign consultants. On one hand, the theme of paper allowed Zhang to play with benign sources of national pride that were politically neutral or even anti-Communist, including the four great inventions of ancient China (paper, printing, the compass, and gunpowder), shan shui landscape painting, and Confucius' Analects. On the other hand, the scroll at the center of the stadium gave the spectacle one subtle but recognizable reference to Maoism: The blank page was one of the chairman's most famous metaphors for his new Chinese state. [...]

In the night's most memorable moment, Zhang went further, concealing and revealing his multiple messages inside 897 intricate Chinese boxes. When the painted page was raised to make way for China's next great invention, movable type, giant printing blocks rose and fell to form the character for hé, or "harmony," in three different scripts. Recitations from Confucius suggested international harmony between peoples ("friends coming from afar," from the very beginning of the Analects), but to local spectators, the character evoked Hu Jintao's doctrine of "Harmonious Society": a code of internal order widely associated with political censorship. A few moments later, [...] the blocks opened to reveal, rather than technological wizardry, nearly a thousand human operators. [...] The machinery of Chinese industry and global commerce was laid bare, revealing the scale of human labor that made it possible. "How did they do it?" [...] "They did it with people."

[...] "We're about to see what happens when an artist gets nearly unlimited resources." The better question to ask was this: What happens when an artist faces nearly unprecedented scrutiny? [...] As Zhang himself described it, "no other artistic activity has had this many layers, and such a high-level review."

[...] son of a Kuomintang officer from Chiang Kai-shek's defeated Nationalist army, Zhang started his life on the wrong side of the People's Republic, growing up in poverty, working as a rural laborer under the Cultural Revolution, and donating blood to buy his first camera. His early films, including Ju Dou and Raise the Red Lantern, received major awards abroad but were banned at home. [...]

Zhang's standing at home changed around the year 2000, when the rebel outlaw finally made peace with the state. This was more or less the plot of his 2002 blockbuster wuxia film Hero, a lavish martial arts epic in which Jet Li gives up on an assassination mission so that China can be united under its first emperor. [...]

[...] For Beijing's Winter Olympics, Zhang has promised something very different from either these films or his previous ceremony. The show on Friday will be smaller in scale, focused on the future instead of the past, drawing on the talents of ordinary people, and globally rather than nationally minded.'

2008 Beijing Olympics opening ceremony: How Zhang Yimou pulled off a masterpiece for multiple audiences. (slate.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 03 February 2022 - 05:21 PM

#6964 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 February 2022 - 07:46 PM

View Postchamp, on 03 February 2022 - 03:46 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 29 January 2022 - 10:03 AM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 28 January 2022 - 08:49 PM, said:

Spoiler alert. It was fucking awesome.

Agreed. Get on it, nerds! :thumbsup:

Absolutely loved the first three eps, stayed awake to watch them just after they dropped at midnight. Next day at work was a write-off but it was worth it!!!
Excited for tomorrow!

watched trailer....
yep.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6965 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 February 2022 - 08:20 PM

3 more episodes drop at midnight.

Pull on my mother fucking beads….
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6966 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 February 2022 - 05:38 AM

Just watched the first two eps.
I AM SO IN THAT WAS GLORIOUS.

Like someone updated Record of Lodoss War and added the word 'fuck' a lot.

#6967 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 February 2022 - 04:29 AM

View PostAbyss, on 05 February 2022 - 05:38 AM, said:

Ep 3...
BALL TAG
I AM DYING BWAAHAHAHA

#6968 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 February 2022 - 04:45 AM

Wrapped up the next 3. Still awesome.

No mercy Percy baby.

#6969 User is offline   champ 

Posted 06 February 2022 - 07:49 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 03 February 2022 - 08:20 PM, said:

Pull on my mother fucking beads….

Man, that song was so damn good, I had it stuck in my head for days after.

View PostAbyss, on 06 February 2022 - 04:29 AM, said:

Ep 3...
BALL TAG
I AM DYING BWAAHAHAHA

7 to 5... How?!

The show is better than I could have hoped for, they've absolutely nailed the other eps that just dropped too... We had more character interaction and development whilst still moving along the story at a rocking pace.

View PostSlow Ben, on 06 February 2022 - 04:45 AM, said:

Wrapped up the next 3. Still awesome.

No mercy Percy baby.

No mercy Percy on screen is epic... I just cannot wait for Scanbo...

Tehol said:

#6970 User is offline   champ 

Posted 06 February 2022 - 09:51 PM

I've not read any of the books but damn, they've made a top tv show in Reacher. Such a fun, easy watch. If I had to compare it to anything to give reference it would probably be Banshee.

Planned on watching an ep or so, see what it's like, ended up binging the full season.

Tehol said:

#6971 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 February 2022 - 12:02 AM

I told my wife Vox Machina is the first show I’ve been really, really excited for in ages. I was just hoping not to be disappointed, Instead it’s even better than I’d held out hope for.

The scene with the sun tree was even more perfect than I’d imagined in my head. Suitably creepy.

Reacher is next on my watch list. That’s good to hear.

#6972 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 February 2022 - 04:35 AM

View PostAbyss, on 06 February 2022 - 04:29 AM, said:

Ep 3...
BALL TAG
I AM DYING BWAAHAHAHA

End of ep 4... Pike and Grog OMG THE FEELS HOW THE DRAGONFNCK DOES THIS SHOW EVEN DO THAT

#6973 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 07 February 2022 - 01:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 February 2022 - 04:35 AM, said:

End of ep 4... Pike and Grog OMG THE FEELS HOW THE DRAGONFNCK DOES THIS SHOW EVEN DO THAT

Yep! Their relationship is so touching.

Mr Not a Blacksmith listened to Campaign 1, I am sort of vaguely aware of the main points but have never really managed to listen to more than a few episodes before it loses my attention. The TV series is a belter though, can't wait for next Friday!

Also, playing "Spot all the background characters who have Matt Mercer's face" is an unexpectedly fun addition.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 07 February 2022 - 02:07 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#6974 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:51 PM

Ep 5 - that chase scene... OMG THAT CHASE SCENE WAS PURE FANTASY CANDY... ON WHEELS!

#6975 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:55 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 07 February 2022 - 12:02 AM, said:

I told my wife Vox Machina is the first show I've been really, really excited for in ages. I was just hoping not to be disappointed, Instead it's even better than I'd held out hope for.

The scene with the sun tree was even more perfect than I'd imagined in my head. Suitably creepy.

Reacher is next on my watch list. That's good to hear.

I assume you mean the scene in ep 5

Spoiler

OMG that was creepy as fuck.

#6976 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 10 February 2022 - 02:03 AM

Wife and I wrapped up Station 11. Im trying to adequately describe my reaction and im having trouble.

I really, really liked it. It wasnt a great show, but i still really enjoyed it. They handled the non-linear timeline perfectly, the actors were all top notch.

Its a little odd, but i'll recommend it. 7.5 this is a weird friggin comic out of 10.

#6977 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 February 2022 - 01:05 PM

FUTURAMA revived at Hulu!?

The only hitch so far is that it sounds like they've yet to secure DiMaggio with everyone else who is returning to voice their characters.

Still, more Futurama is never a bad idea in my books.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6978 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 February 2022 - 02:21 PM

Oh man *shivers* If you know, you know.

#6979 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 10 February 2022 - 05:03 PM

Hell yes.

#6980 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:38 PM

Well, after watching season 1 of Euphoria I told myself I would avoid anymore of that out of control mess. I don't need it spinning circles in my psyche and I don't want to be swayed into believing it is based in any semblance of reality or that it portrays what really is going on in the high schools these days. Kids aren't that fucked up are they? Well, I watched the first episode of season 2 and dammit to hell I'm pulled back in and I think I'm going to continue watching season 2... help me.

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users