• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7161 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 July 2022 - 11:16 PM

I do enjoy Mythic Quest, but it does take a few eps to go from 'funny performers in an okay show' to 'funny show' in its own right. It wears its influences on its sleeve, but does find its own voice.

I haven't really explored much on Apple+ though tbh.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7162 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 July 2022 - 06:38 PM

View Postworry, on 18 July 2022 - 11:16 PM, said:

I do enjoy Mythic Quest, but it does take a few eps to go from 'funny performers in an okay show' to 'funny show' in its own right. It wears its influences on its sleeve, but does find its own voice.

I haven't really explored much on Apple+ though tbh.

Interesting. Maybe I'll skip to season 1 episode 5, since that made all three 'best episodes' lists I checked.

Forgot to mention Physical on Apple TV---definitely in the 'good, liked much more than I expected to' category. Like her internal monologues (mostly negative self-talk). The treatment of bulimia seems really good without being too hard to watch. Though IDK if an unsympathetic and shallow caricature of the environmental movement is really the best idea for these times... couldn't they do a bit more to at least acknowledge that it was a very good idea, even back in the 80's? As Europe burns ffs....

For All Mankind: seems like a quarter of the run time still consists of awkward pauses (with portentous semi-close-up of a 'reaction' facial expression barely changing). And at least another quarter is boring small-talk / not-remotely-witty cheesy banter or mind-numbing dead time. I've spent literal months doing nothing but meditating, but trying to binge this feels like torture with a side of brain damage. It's 'good' relative to season 1, and it might be 'great' if you want to fall asleep before the end of an episode....

I'll try to finish season 2, but it might be better to eject and jump to Mythic Quest.

Adjectives that most spring to mind are dull, slow, depressing, shallow, and hard to watch. Think I'll tough out at least one or two more episodes.

#7163 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 19 July 2022 - 07:13 PM

I'm binging ALF, and it is glorious!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7164 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 July 2022 - 01:33 PM

Finally finished up Barry season 3, holy shit this show just gets better and better! Season 3 went dark! If you peeps are not watching it, you need to rectify that immediately.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7165 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 July 2022 - 01:56 PM

Yah Bill Hader is a very very good 'face actor' it turns out.

#7166 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 July 2022 - 02:57 AM

Watched the HBO Max limited series Landscapers (4 episodes). Not sure what to think of it. I guess it is based on true crime events that went down in Nottinghamshire, England in the late 90s. It has some acting talent in Olivia Colman and David Thewlis who are in the role of the husband and wife particulars. The series did some atypical breaking of the 4th wall moments and other creative cinema techniques to tell the story. Some of it was powerful, like the walking from one set to another, and some of it was just meh. It was interesting at least. It caught me off guard at first though, but after settling in it was like, "oh this is one of those types of shows." Still, not sure about the series as a whole. I found a large portion of it akin to being a fly on the wall of unenergetic, old neighbors who found out a crime they committed a decade past has come back to destroy them. Coleman's character gets really grating in her despair. The investigative team was aces though. Their camaraderie and on the job kinship allows for needed comic relief (and I learned what DC, DS and DI are in wacky UK law parlance Posted Image).

#7167 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 July 2022 - 12:05 PM

I finally gave LEGEND OF VOX MACHINA a proper chance and now I'm 3 eps deep and loving it. How I bounced off it the first time I tried to watch is beyond me. This is fantastic and I can't wait to watch the rest!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7168 User is offline   champ 

Posted 28 July 2022 - 01:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 July 2022 - 12:05 PM, said:

I finally gave LEGEND OF VOX MACHINA a proper chance and now I'm 3 eps deep and loving it. How I bounced off it the first time I tried to watch is beyond me. This is fantastic and I can't wait to watch the rest!

Really surprising, I would have thought you'd have lapped that up first time with the type of show it is but glad you've gone back to it. It's a great first season that gets better as it goes along.

Tehol said:

#7169 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 July 2022 - 03:14 PM

Anyone watched the Archive 81 TV show on Netflix? I just started it, seems promising but google says it's not been renewed for a second season. Wondering if it's worth watching if it's cancelled.

Supposedly it's based on a podcast of the same name.

#7170 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 July 2022 - 03:35 PM

View PostAptorian, on 28 July 2022 - 03:14 PM, said:

Anyone watched the Archive 81 TV show on Netflix? I just started it, seems promising but google says it's not been renewed for a second season. Wondering if it's worth watching if it's cancelled.

Supposedly it's based on a podcast of the same name.

Not worth it only since it was cancelled. It was compelling and I liked it, but it ends on a SERIOUSLY cliffhanger note and without a season 2 I'll never know where that goes.

It's well written and very interesting throughout....but yeah...cancelled means it's no bueno.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7171 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 July 2022 - 04:24 PM

A cliffhanger or something similar was what I was afraid of. Won't bother then.

Watching Cowboy Bebop instead. The original anime version. Never watched this before, surprisingly artistic in places, bit antiquated, somewhat entertaining, not really catching my attention.

#7172 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:15 PM

Finished the latest season (s3) of Atlanta. I thought it hit it out of the park. I guess some fans of the previous seasons have been vocal about not liking it. I guess some of that might be understandable because hooboy did they paint outside the lines compared to seasons 1 and 2. There wasn't only one episode that was a one-off like from the previous season, but multiple that were straight up Jordan Peele-esque/Twilight Zone territory. Supposedly there is a long play in motion and you have to tune into season 4, which I guess will be the last season, to see how it all fits together. Anyway, I really liked season 3 of Atlanta. Recency bias and all that, it could be my favorite.

#7173 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:45 PM

Nichelle Nichols passed away, age 89. A total legend.
https://www.buzzfeed...le-nichols-dies

This post has been edited by worry: 31 July 2022 - 07:45 PM

#7174 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:46 PM

View Postworry, on 31 July 2022 - 07:45 PM, said:

Nichelle Nichols passed away, age 89. A total legend.
https://www.buzzfeed...le-nichols-dies

Damn, that hurts. :(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7175 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:41 AM

So sad.

Only Takei, Shatner and Koenig left of the TOS crew now.

#7176 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 August 2022 - 08:41 PM

Finished up the most recent season of Barry (s3). Yeah, I don't know, I definitely think seasons 1 and 2 are better. Season 3 seemed to suffer from covid interruptions? dunno, but there seemed to be some expedient or just not fleshed out story threads. Also, the toxic chaos that is a chain around Barry can be too much at times. But I think that is a key aspect of the show and it being a dark comedy, fits. Just be forewarned if you think Barry is going to be airy laughs and knee slapping comedy bits. The episodes propel forward with some momentum by the finale and on the whole I enjoyed season 3 (just not as much as 1&2). Maybe that will change after letting it set and marinate with me for awhile. It's my opinion the show should have the end in sight and hopefully season 4 will be the last. And on that, it will be interesting to see where season 4 goes because of how season 3 ended. Posted Image

#7177 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 August 2022 - 08:24 PM

Any you soccer heads going to give this a try?

Looks like it's taking the Ted Lasso core into irl territory.

#7178 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:14 AM

I might give it a try, because it is an interesting phenomenon. Something similar happened to my club in the mid nineties, when a very famous and popular Dutch TV personality decided to sponsor our club for a year. Suddenly my club, that up until that point was nationally perceived as a grey mouse (ugliest kit, no trophies, endlessly yoyo-ing between the two highest tiers of Dutch football), got weekly TV exposure for one season and they even brought in a well-known striker who would have been unthinkable for us otherwise. Fun times and it really lifted our club from obscurity to national cult status for a while. There is a documentary of it as well, but it is all in Dutch.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7179 User is offline   champ 

Posted 09 August 2022 - 06:55 PM

Anyone watched The Bear? Checked it out randomly and it's quality.

Top young chef quits amazing job and returns home after a death in the family, tries to turn around the dead dudes failing restaurant.

Not my usual type of show I'd go for but aye, it's a top watch, really well done series. Recommend...

The Old Man is good shit too!

Tehol said:

#7180 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:49 PM

So Walmart is looking to start a streaming service? Yes! A possible Joe Dirt cinematic universe realized? fingers crossed!

https://www.theverge...rvice-tv-movies

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users