• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#5921 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:43 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 28 February 2020 - 12:29 AM, said:

Okay, I have another "What is this" to drop on you guys. And since this has strong connections (it seems) to the U.K., I was hoping some of you tv fr33k5 might know.

It looks like it might have some social commentary baked in about refugees/immigration. With the twist that the migrants are coming from the past, like vikings (amongst others)?

Seen some of it, it ain't half bad.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#5922 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:02 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 28 February 2020 - 09:43 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 28 February 2020 - 12:29 AM, said:

Okay, I have another "What is this" to drop on you guys. And since this has strong connections (it seems) to the U.K., I was hoping some of you tv fr33k5 might know.
<media clipped>
It looks like it might have some social commentary baked in about refugees/immigration. With the twist that the migrants are coming from the past, like vikings (amongst others)?

Seen some of it, it ain't half bad.

Awesome possum and cool beans. It just became available on HBO Now & HBO GO here in the US. I think I am going to give it a chance and try the first episode or so and see if it clicks with me.

#5923 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:18 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 03 March 2020 - 02:08 AM, said:

Yes!!!! Watching Bachelor and I been waiting all week to see if they would replay the ad. Last week they announced the "Are you looking for love in your golden years?" and now they have replayed it so I'm hoping for some more lurv connections onscreen! Who cares if it's old people? They get horny to ffs!

View PostBeaver Killia, on 03 March 2020 - 04:35 PM, said:

The Bachelor presents Listen To Your Heart. Oh my this looks so good! Bachelor meets A Star Is Born. April 13.

Posted Image
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5924 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:41 PM

You know what's interesting about The Bachelor? I watched for a few years back in the day when my wife and I were just dating because she was into it, but after a few seasons you can literally lay out the structure of the series in a narrative storyboard and it's damned near identical every season. It's why "reality" TV became "lifestyle" TV instead....becuase people caught onto the fact that it's all scripted to the nth degree (and thus, not reality), but made to appear unscripted. Do I think occasionally people on these shows get legit hurt, or blindsided? Yes, but I think that more often than not it's the studio making the show who decides that and not the individuals, the editing, ect.

But ever since that Jake dude, did the same "crying on the balcony, can't decide who to pick" thing that Jason did the previous season (or whoever it was)...I started to figure out the formula, and it became so boring to me (and my wife)...becuase why watch the same show each season when the same shit happens to slightly different pretty people? I think that's why stuff like Bachelor in Paradise came out, becuase the studio needed a more off the wall show to distract from how rote and altogether boring the Bachelor/Bachelorette became after a few seasons early on. The proof of all this is in the amount of people who stayed together after the fact....it's like 3 couples isn't it? In how many seasons?

Fun extra fact about lifestyle TV: These people send audition tapes for 1 show and end up on another based on what the studio thinks would provide the best TV. People apply to be on Survivor, and end up on the Amazing Race or Big Brother. Same is true here. My favourite was when this straight up dickwad of a human ended up on Big Brother and he didn't want to be on it, like at all (I THINK he applied for Amazing Race)...so every single chance he got to basically middle finger the studio without actually going against their rules, he did so. It was funny to watch someone in a house full of people bending over backwards to please/accommodate the CBS studios heads, refuse to give any fucks. He was an asshole, but man he really showed that these shows are scripted to the nth degree by being such a wild card.

Fun Fact 2: 'Big Brother Live Feeds' is a thing where you can watch ALL the time (for a price), and the people who watch those feeds always have different people they like and root for than the people who just watch the broadcast, becuase CBS does a heck of an edit to make people either look terrible, or good depending on the narrative they want to sell to get viewers, but it's all a lie.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5925 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

It's all scripted and brain dead television to assuage bored, unproductive consciousness. They are all 'actors' trying to launch into something bigger. That's why you see the same individuals cross-pollinate and appear on all of this 'reality' television pollution. It's the basest form of entertainment designed to control a large (sadly & pathetically) demographic and keep them inside and under control.

#5926 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 March 2020 - 07:41 PM, said:

You know what's interesting about The Bachelor?

That it forms the perfect justification for an extinction level event?

View PostMalankazooie, on 03 March 2020 - 07:53 PM, said:

It's all scripted and brain dead television to assuage bored, unproductive consciousness. They are all 'actors' trying to launch into something bigger. That's why you see the same individuals cross-pollinate and appear on all of this 'reality' television pollution. It's the basest form of entertainment designed to control a large (sadly & pathetically) demographic and keep them inside and under control.

You have just described 99.5% of everything even loosely described as 'reality tv' in the past decade+.

Reality tv is trash. It is cheap to produce, easy to manipulate, has a near guaranteed viewership for all but the most dire examples, and advertisers love it for its predictability.

#5927 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:40 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 03 March 2020 - 09:12 PM, said:

There's trash tv then there's trash tv.

Agreed there are levels of it that are lower than low.
Anyone remember 'Married By America'? Nah, me neither.

#5928 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 March 2020 - 06:36 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 March 2020 - 05:40 PM, said:

View PostBeaver Killia, on 03 March 2020 - 09:12 PM, said:

There's trash tv then there's trash tv.

Agreed there are levels of it that are lower than low.
Anyone remember 'Married By America'? Nah, me neither.

There was the show where like 5 legit "royal dudes" from foreign countries came to the States (Arizona or Texas I think?) and were dating regular girls without telling them that they were rich royalty...I forget the name, but it's the trashiest of trashy tv I've ever watched.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 March 2020 - 06:36 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5929 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 March 2020 - 06:45 PM

Still watching Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens.

In one of the episodes, Nora is getting her car out of impound so she can take her grandmother to a nice dinner. In the scene, both yell "Fogo de Chão!", which is a fine dining restaurant chain (a Brazilian steakhouse). I was curious so I rewound the scene back and turned on the closed captioning to see how that would be displayed on the screen in text. It came across as - "(both shouting in Chinese)". Ha! You really lazy closed captioning people.

On a side note, if you have never been to a Fogo de Chão, you should definitely give them a strong consideration. https://www.youtube....h?v=gQVYlUjfWVA

#5930 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 March 2020 - 07:57 PM

Motherland: Fort Salem

Okay, I need to know if any you tv fr33k5 have info on this. As I understand it, the setting is an alternate America where for 300 years witches have been recruited into the military to fight the country's battles. Starts next Wednesday.

#5931 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:23 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 March 2020 - 07:57 PM, said:

Okay, I need to know if any you tv fr33k5 have info on this. As I understand it, the setting is an alternate America where for 300 years witches have been recruited into the military to fight the country's battles. Starts next Wednesday.

Motherland: Fort Salem ...Canadian Broadcast Premiere<br style="box-sizing: border-box;">2-Hour Series Premiere Wednesday, March 25 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC SPark...New Episodes Every Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET/PT

Set in an alternate America where witches ended their persecution over 300 years ago by cutting a deal with the government to fight for their country, Motherland: Fort Salem follows three young women from basic training in combat magic into early deployment. In this world, the traditional roles of gender and power are flipped, with the more dominant women on the front lines fighting looming terrorist threats that are familiar to our world – but with supernatural tactics and weapons. The series stars Ashley Nicole Williams, Jessica Sutton, Taylor Hickson, Demetria McKinney and Amalia Holm.

Posted Image

Am skeptical.
Ack it's just a trailer... FX look ok, decent concept, dialogue is painful.

#5932 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:05 PM

That promotional poster is cheesy. I'm going to watch the first episode and see what it's like. I have very low expectations.

#5933 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:45 PM

Finished watching BoJack Horseman. Possibly my favourite TV show of the past 10 years, I am pretty emotional at its closing. I think they finished it I'm about the most perfect way they could, given everything that came before. A very bittersweet finale with some great laugh out loud moments. What a ride it's been.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5934 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:42 AM

Finally got around to watching the recent Dracula. Occasionally grotesque but not particularly scary, maybe somewhere between True Blood and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (tv series). Enjoyable. Parts of episode 3 were a bit cliche, subpar, badly set up, or rushed, but overall it seemed like a very innovative take on Dracula and the diversification of the cast in terms of race/gender/sexuality in the 19th century seemed to be done well. I've started referring to my cat as Cat Chompula....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 March 2020 - 04:51 AM

#5935 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:48 AM

Normally I pay little attention to video game based television series/movies, but this one I think I'll keep tabs on.

'Chernobyl' Creator Will Adapt 'The Last Of Us' As A Series For HBO

#5936 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:25 AM

View PostAbyss, on 05 March 2020 - 08:23 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 March 2020 - 07:57 PM, said:

Motherland: Fort Salem ...Canadian Broadcast Premiere<br style="box-sizing: border-box;">2-Hour Series Premiere Wednesday, March 25 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC SPark...New Episodes Every Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET/PT

Set in an alternate America where witches ended their persecution over 300 years ago by cutting a deal with the government to fight for their country, Motherland: Fort Salem follows three young women from basic training in combat magic into early deployment. In this world, the traditional roles of gender and power are flipped, with the more dominant women on the front lines fighting looming terrorist threats that are familiar to our world – but with supernatural tactics and weapons. The series stars Ashley Nicole Williams, Jessica Sutton, Taylor Hickson, Demetria McKinney and Amalia Holm.

Posted Image

Am skeptical.
Ack it's just a trailer... FX look ok, decent concept, dialogue is painful.

Hmm ... might give it a looksee if reviews here are positive. Could do without the angsty teen romances though. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#5937 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:59 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 06 March 2020 - 06:48 AM, said:

Normally I pay little attention to video game based television series/movies, but this one I think I'll keep tabs on.

'Chernobyl' Creator Will Adapt 'The Last Of Us' As A Series For HBO

I saw a mock up on Reddit of a poster with Nikolaj Coster Waldau as Joel and that is now my dream casting.

#5938 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:16 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 March 2020 - 07:25 AM, said:

...[Motherland: Fort Salem]
.... Could do without the angsty teen romances though.

I think Freeform is ABC's answer to the CW. Teen romance is pretty much mandatory. The clips appeared to be pretty standard if i followed the characters correctly.... hetero couple, lesbian couple, bi-sexual love/lust triangle romantic tension, ..i think there was a May/December lesbian thing in there with a teacher too, not certain. They're gunning for the CHARMED and SABRINA viewers with a dose of THE 100.

#5939 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:55 PM

Yeah, it really does look like it's for the CW teen demo, which is not at all my cup of tea. But I'm going to see what it's like.

#5940 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 March 2020 - 11:09 AM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 09 March 2020 - 02:52 AM, said:

Should be no surprise but I’m watching Love is Blind. These people are insane proposing to people without even seeing them 1st. BUT THERE ARE “fucks” and dick size jokes since it’s on Netflix so I’m getting my trash tv on!!

Mate, if there's one thing you don't have to exert any effort in finding on TV and the net it's trash TV.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users