• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#5901 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:57 PM

Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens.

Four episodes in for me now and I find it hilarious. The riffing she and her grandma zing off each other makes for a side splitting dynamic. One could even argue the grandma steals the show.

The line, "you started an inter-Asian race war in there?", and the circumstances leading up it, had me guffawing like I haven't in some time from a 1/2 hr. comedy. Give Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens a chance if you need something that will elicit huge laughs mixed into your viewing schedule.

#5902 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:20 PM

View PostExcrementEncephalon, on 19 February 2020 - 09:25 PM, said:

Then I noticed that Enterprise ended on 5/13/05 and I grinned. Because truck.

Fixed to comply with international decency regulations.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5903 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

Watched THE FAMILY on Netflix (Doc about power in politics deriving from the people who put on that National Prayer Breakfast; the Fellowship)...it's weird. It REALLY wants to be an expose of the whole thing...but it has too many talking heads that blithely either support the Fellowship, or outright say "they do good things, but maybe they should not mix with Washington"...so by the end I felt like it was much less of a gasping expose of master global die-hard Christian puppeteers, as it was milquetoast boys club that THINKS it has major influence on politics, when not probably every much doesn't.

That said, people like Trump and Bill Barr are currently espousing a lot of the shit they spout....including the whole King David thing.

It's just a really weird Doc to be honest, and I'm not sure what to take from it. I wanted it to be more take no prisoners...and it's not.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5904 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

Finally finished The Good Place. Damn, that was an amazing series! Really took it to another level as the seasons progressed. Very interesting and moving study on death and loss, and bloody hilarious to boot.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5905 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

Started watching Cheers since i need something to watch while the kids were around. And its sliiightly too soon for another Office or Parks and Rec rewatch.

I remember why I liked this show so much when i was younger, its hilarious. And so damn well written.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#5906 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 24 February 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

Started watching Cheers since i need something to watch while the kids were around. And its sliiightly too soon for another Office or Parks and Rec rewatch.

I remember why I liked this show so much when i was younger, its hilarious. And so damn well written.

Yeah, such a classic show that holds up today.

I remember when it finale'd and they ran that on the jumbotron at the Skydome as a special ticket, it was such a big deal (the only other thing I think they ever ran like that with especial tickets was the premiere of Star Trek TNG a few years earlier).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5907 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:28 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 February 2020 - 02:17 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 24 February 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

Yeah, such a classic show that holds up today.

Thats the other thing, it 100% does hold up. A ton of 80's shows are so outdated and unfunny. I think Cheers could air today and still be popular.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#5908 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:06 PM

HUNTERS on amazon prime stream.

A little slow at points, but i'm enjoying this. 1970s set ragtag group of Nazi hunters stumbles onto classic 'Ex Third Reich Nazis infiltrate America' plot. Some fantastic characters, nasty fights, and a fun retro vibe with the odd Tarantino'esque beat. Fun. Pacino was a bit over the top as Holocaust survivor/millionaire/professor/Bruce Wayne initially but he got his grove nicely. Lena Olin does evil so well.

#5909 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:29 PM

Watching a very silly show called Medical Police. Not at all clever or deep but I'm laughing lots and right now I'm life I think it's exactly what I need haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5910 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:01 PM

BRITISH FOLK:

DISNEY+ pre-order is live and you can get the whole thing for a year for only £50 which is less then a fiver per month.

From what I've heard from the other chaps on here this is well worth it.

Edited to add the link: https://preview.disneyplus.com/uk/

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 24 February 2020 - 07:02 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5911 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:46 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 24 February 2020 - 07:01 PM, said:

BRITISH FOLK:

DISNEY+ pre-order is live and you can get the whole thing for a year for only £50 which is less then a fiver per month.

From what I've heard from the other chaps on here this is well worth it.

Edited to add the link: https://preview.disneyplus.com/uk/

We had the pre-order option in Canada for like, a day, and it was barely advertised. Never came back and according to entirely reliable and accurate social media the majority of the population are massively disgruntled about it and planning to burn down disneyland or something.

Point being if you're even kind of considering it, grab the pre-order price.

#5912 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:42 PM

Done it :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5913 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:36 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 19 February 2020 - 06:51 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 February 2020 - 02:17 PM, said:

What is this?

Lol it's Philadelphia.

'Philadelphia has frequently been labled as the "Mural Capital of the World." After all, the city is home to the world's largest outdoor art gallery, featuring thousands of murals.'

https://www.whiskeyt...-for-street-art

I don't think I ever bothered looking up why it's called 'Fishtown' before.

'Zhuangzi and Huizi were strolling along the bridge over the Hao River. Zhuangzi said, "The minnows swim about so freely, following the openings wherever they take them. Such is the happiness of fish."

Huizi said, "You are not a fish, so whence do you know the happiness of fish?"

Zhuangzi said, "You are not I, so whence do you know I don't know the happiness of fish?"

Huizi said, "I am not you, to be sure, so I don't know what it is to be you. But by the same token, since you are certainly not a fish, my point about your inability to know the happiness of fish stands intact."

Zhuangzi said, "Let's go back to the starting point. You said, 'Whence do you know the happiness of fish?' Since your question was premised on your knowing that I know it, I must have known it from here, up above the Hao River."'

Wish they'd done the Continental Midtown instead of the one in Old City:

Posted Image

A few notes on this video:

At least in my experience, people in Philadelphia (and the Greater Philadelphia area) usually call it... 'Philadelphia'. Not 'Philly'.... (Unless you're referring to South Philly, North Philly, or West Philly.)

It's universally agreed that Pat's and Geno's suck. And the owner of Geno's was a notorious xenophobe and racist, though he died a few years ago. 'During late owner Joey Vento’s reign, signs like “Press 1 for English, Press 2 for Deportation”, “American’s don’t press # 2” and most notoriously, “This Is AMERICA, When ordering, ‘SPEAK ENGLISH’” were posted to the front window. After he had passed, his son Geno Vento inherited the business and took down all but the “Speak English” sign, per his father’s dying request. And now, according to a Billy Penn report, the sign is gone, because, you know, it’s 2016. “We just came in one day and it was gone,” said a Geno’s employee.'

https://philly.eater...ge-tasting-menu

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 25 February 2020 - 12:13 AM

#5914 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:48 PM

The New Pope has been a slow, smoky, emo smolder. Which normally would bug me, but John Malkovich as the emo Pope has been fascinating. With his emo, self doubt and low self esteem and almost non-existent confidence. When he expresses doubt with those mascara'd eyes, you just watch in dour emotional rapture. You will find yourself in quizzical ponderment when you watch the scenes where he has private audience with Marilyn Manson and Sharon Stone (he politely asks Stone not to uncross and cross her legs à la Basic Instinct). Oh, and he gives Meghan Markle fashion advice - on the phone, she doesn't actually appear on the show like Manson and Stone. He's so catty and "mean girl" to Markle behind her back *mweeeoooowrrrr *ffhhhhhht*ffffhhhhttt.

I doubt The New Pope is most of you guys' cup of tea, but it is a fascinating watch. It's lusciously decadent in a twisted way. I mean, each opening credits (a new one each episode) is usually a sequence with the cloistered nuns doing strip routines in front of a neon cross to techno music. Oh, that reminds me, don't even get me going on about what the cloistered nuns are up to. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5915 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:43 PM

FREAKANGELS anime through Crunchyroll Originals...holy crap, that's a sweet surprise!

#5916 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 February 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

FREAKANGELS anime through Crunchyroll Originals...holy crap, that's a sweet surprise!

Spoiler: the last six episodes are just shots of water flowing. :)

...but yeah, i'm pretty psyched about that.

#5917 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:21 PM

This seems like it could be interesting. Starts tonight and has Stranger Things pedigree tied to it. The trailer has strong Stranger Things vibes. The kids are from the recent It movie I believe.

#5918 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:36 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 25 February 2020 - 06:39 PM, said:

Think I ll finally try Frontier.

I was watching Frontier for a while a year or so ago. It was pretty decent until somewhere in S2, I think, when I just ended up fading out on it. I think there was a plot twist that became a little too much when the rest wasn't compelling enough to keep my interest. I never ended up going back to finish what was out at the time.

#5919 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:56 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 26 February 2020 - 07:27 PM, said:

7 minutes 4 seconds into Ep 2. Holy shit I think I just saw Kicking Bird's wife from Dances With Wolves!

Yes you did. She also appeared in one of the latter seasons of Longmire, among other places.

#5920 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:29 AM

Okay, I have another "What is this" to drop on you guys. And since this has strong connections (it seems) to the U.K., I was hoping some of you tv fr33k5 might know.

It looks like it might have some social commentary baked in about refugees/immigration. With the twist that the migrants are coming from the past, like vikings (amongst others)?

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users