Malazan Empire: Return of the Crimson Guard - PROLOGUE - OFFICIAL VERSION - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Return of the Crimson Guard - PROLOGUE - OFFICIAL VERSION

#21 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:55 PM

Yes, the Matron's binding-of-existance spell has been mentioned by more than just Fear Sengar. However, VG, don't assume it has anything to do with Dragnipur.

In any case, I'm not so sure that Liossercal's reason for destroying the Azath was because of some secret of the Azath. It's quite possible he just felt the need to destroy something or someone that was ensnared by the Azath. Personally, I suspect some being that was hiding in the Azath, being its Guardian a-la Gothos. Since he couldn't get into the Azath, he just decided to destroy it, hopefully eliminating the Guardian with it. And he may well have done this alone, the 'others' he is referring to being creatures that could have emerged alive once the Azath died a-la Seregahl.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#22 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:57 PM

First off, thank you again, Hetan ;) Your efforts are really lovely

Apparently, I'm going to be the only one here to dislike the prologue.
The style seems stumbling and the entire scene is like a badly sewn sequence of i-want-to-drop-a-hint patches. Even were we to add the originally italicized parts, the lack of which i blame for the apparent tense mistmaches in the text, I don't see the result very much more appealing.

Anyway, enough of literary rant :)

What I gathered from the prologue:

- Liossercal seems a pretty different personality than Osserc, and also there are these ridiculous "tusks", however everything else hints to them being the same person - his dragon form, his name (liossan + osserc), the "firstborn" bit (I think the Liossan in HoC referred likewise to him), the apparently "dropped" mention of Anomander.

- Denuth looks like the golems at the hear of Burn's warren in MoI, which lends credibility to the idea of his Mother being Burn or an incarnation thereof (since we know Burn is "young"). What's more important, the passage hints that both Osserc/Liossercal and Draconus are alien to this world (although they seem to be universally "famous"), which throws into the trash the idea of Elder Gods being originally of Wu.

- "Consort no more" refers to MD switching to FL apparently. The "suzerain of Night" is a stupid title in itself, but it being "defied long ago" sounds really weird. Then we know Draconus was claimed consort to Tiam (Tiam was NOT a consort to MD, stop claiming that) but this might have occured earlier or later..

Okay, off to first chapter :D

#23 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:07 PM

I wonder if all this is after or before the rise of the KCCM. Having creatures "of the Earth" and it being in "The Elder Age, Time Unmeasured" makes me think it is before even the rise of mass-reproducing sentient races like the KCCM, Eres'al, Jaghut, etc.

But the KCCM Matrons kept the Elder Gods from coming to the Malazi-world. Did the KCCM show up and then kick out the EGs? Is the Prologue even in the Malazi-world? Oh the mystery....

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#24 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

Well, we have "Earth", as "Mother"--we haven't Heard of any other worlds that have such a deity
Also, Draconus is already making Dragnipur, but no one knows yet that it's a sword.
And while he's hunting felow Draconeans, other EGs (K'rul, SoCN) only learn of it in MoI proplogue, after they curse Kallor.
THe Tiste have come to this world, so, I'd say this is all after the sundering of KE, but not long after.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

Jorram;308445 said:

Apparently, I'm going to be the only one here to dislike the prologue.

But, but... it's three elder gods/beings standing in a gigantic crater where an Azath was destroyed. We see dragnipur before it was made. We hear all kinds of juicy elder chit-chat...

What is there not to like?! ;)

#26 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:27 PM

Apt, apparently some people pay attention to literary style.. not something I understand much, personally ;)

EDIT; as per Jorram's other point, I think it's safe to assume that ALL Draconeans (with the Exception of Olar Ethil), are not native to Wu/Burn

However, beings such as Mael and Killimandros are question marks (especially Mael)

Draconus' titles would hint that he was the consort of MD (who's supposedly his mother, if you buy the "EGs were first kids of MD" theory)
now, I may be mistaken, but FW's reading in MT lists him as the Consort in the Dragon Hold, suggesting that he turned to Tiam after being spurned by MD?
in MoI, Draconus says that he's been forging Dragnipur "since the time of All-Darkness". This would suggest that he predates FL. He was a witness of the birth of light, which he describes to Paran as "retreat" of MD. We know that the union of MD and FL gave birth to Shadow. perhaps Draconus left MD after the birth of light, as he was no longer considered her 'favoured child", and instead h had something to do with SD?
"Suzerain of the nigth" is another title of his, that was supposedly usurped. This could, imho, relate to the birth of the three of MD's Andii children.

#27 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

What is this litterary mombo jombo you speak of? :confused: ;)

I admit i thought the internal monologue of Denuth and the conversations were a bit akward. I also thought the beginning of the first chapter was a bit shaky.

But it's not anything that grinds my gears, in fact a five year old could have written it for all I care as long as the material is that awesome.

#28 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:53 PM

Mentalist;308468 said:

And while he's hunting felow Draconeans, other EGs (K'rul, SoCN) only learn of it in MoI proplogue, after they curse Kallor.

Maybe he was just refreshing their memory?

THe Tiste have come to this world, so, I'd say this is all after the sundering of KE, but not long after.

If Liossercal were a very important pre-Tiste (maybe not FL, but something close), he could be in Malaziword long before the Tiste invasions...

#29 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:55 PM

Ah, but we also get mentionoing of Anomandaris...
also

Denuth recoiled. Indeed. And here then was the quandary. Something must be done about these ancient powers before their antagonisms and limitless ambitions destroy all order once again. Draconus’s solution horrifies, yet well now could I almost understand such … exigencies. After all, was not eternal imprisonment preferable to such potential for destruction?

this COULD be referring to KE

This unending strife of all against all wearied him. Why must they contend so? Was it truly no more than pettiness and childish prickliness, as Kilmandaros suggests? He would consider what it might take to end these eternal cycles of violence. And he would consult with Mother. It would, he imagined, take some time to find an answer. Should there be any.

now this is interesting... is Killy the Elder version of Burn?

#30 User is offline   SiriusL 

• Canine brilliance!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:55 PM

Jorram;308445 said:

First off, thank you again, Hetan ;) Your efforts are really lovely

- Denuth looks like the golems at the hear of Burn's warren in MoI, which lends credibility to the idea of his Mother being Burn or an incarnation thereof (since we know Burn is "young"). What's more important, the passage hints that both Osserc/Liossercal and Draconus are alien to this world (although they seem to be universally "famous"), which throws into the trash the idea of Elder Gods being originally of Wu.

Wow. Awesome! Thanks Hetan!!

Jorram, I thought the same thing about Denuth being one of Burn's statue guys. Makes me wonder what happened that requires them to be hanging out supporting the Earth in Burn's weird underground warren thingy.

Also:

-Osserc's "tusks" are interesting--"blunt, canine tusks," which sound decidedly different than Jaghut/Jhag tusks, and only appear when he smiles.

-I can't tell of Osserc had help assaulting the Azath, or if he was referring to the escapees that might have been inside the Azath.

-This is really interesting, regarding Osserc:

Soletaken, Elient, what were such labels to this power who may have moved through Light before it knew Dark?

This implies Light might have existed somewhere separate from Dark, prior to the "coming of Light." Makes sense, doesn't it?

-Finally, Dragnipur might be sword in this passage, but might not. It just wasn't finished, and for some reason Denuth refused look at Osserc.

#31 User is offline   SiriusL 

• Canine brilliance!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

Mentalist;308539 said:

Denuth recoiled. Indeed. And here then was the quandary. Something must be done about these ancient powers before their antagonisms and limitless ambitions destroy all order once again. Draconus’s solution horrifies, yet well now could I almost understand such … exigencies. After all, was not eternal imprisonment preferable to such potential for destruction?

This, and a few other passages, sound like Denuth is contemplating making something that would contain powerful beings. Maybe the Azath existed for a purpose before they began sucking in everything.

#32 User is offline   Ayrin 

• Lieutenant

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

I'd say he is referring to Dragnipur.
He is saying that the destruction Osserc(?) wrought might make Draconus solution (chaining souls to the MD-wagon) understandable.

#33 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:53 AM

It is possible that Killy is "Mother", although I think Burn is more likely. Killmandaros has been called Mother before. Denuth also speaks of Killy, and mentions their names pretty close together.
Other than that.....EPIC! I love some of the stuff in there. I'd have to say that Liossercal seems likely to be Osseric.
Love seeing Dragnipur too. And now Rake seems like a total badass.
It's all good. More speculation later, after I've read first chapter....

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#34 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:12 AM

What do you mean Denuth speaks of Killy?

#35 User is offline   VampireGoat 

• Lieutenant

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

I am assuming he means this line when refereing to Denuths mention of killy

Was it truly no more than pettiness and childish prickliness, as Kilmandaros suggests?

#36 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

Weird, I can't even find it when I scan the text.

#37 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

Three lines from the bottom.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#38 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

This unending strife of all against all wearied him. Why must they contend so? Was it truly no more than pettiness and childish prickliness, as Kilmandaros suggests? He would consider what it might take to end these eternal cycles of violence. And he would consult with Mother. It would, he imagined, take some time to find an answer. Should there be any.

here you go

#39 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:39 PM

SiriusL;308540 said:

-Osserc's "tusks" are interesting--"blunt, canine tusks," which sound decidedly different than Jaghut/Jhag tusks, and only appear when he smiles.

Thoughts:

Per Mael in MT and elsewhere, we know Elder Gods at least can change their forms or else their forms shift to reflect their worshippers (See also Rake spending a while disguised as a human). Debateable whether Lio/Ossi falls into the 'elder God' category, but regardless, minor shapeshifting seems well within his power - he's soletaken, he turns into a frikkin dragon - some dental work isn't going to be a big deal.

If Lio' is Ossi', let's suppose that at the time of the prologue, humanity is still in a nascent state, the Liosan probably don't even exist, and the Jaghut are amongst the primary powers on the planet... so a being that's tied to a primal concept like 'Light' could look like pretty much anything. If we take the (probably too) obvious tusks = Jaghut, then hey, why shouldn't he have them and decide to dispense with them a few millenia later.

But the implications are interesting... this is an angry, reckless ascnedant, very different from the snobby academic Osserc we see in HoC, tho similarly arrogant.

- Abyss, found it interesting that Denuth thought it could take him.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

Denuth thought it could take him then, in his weakened state.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users