Malazan Empire: Return of the Crimson Guard - PROLOGUE - OFFICIAL VERSION - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Return of the Crimson Guard - PROLOGUE - OFFICIAL VERSION

#41 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

Appearance dictated (perhaps voluntarily) by worshippers/dominant race is a very interesting idea. Assuming this takes place in Malaziworld, it would make sense to place this time-wise in the beginning of the demise of the KCCM. With the fall of the K'Chain as the dominant race(s), the EGs are able to travel to the Malaziworld, and Lio' adopts a jaghutular facade despite the rest of his body not blending in with them in the least. Maybe magically dying your skin grey-green takes a few months...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#42 User is offline   SiriusL 

• Canine brilliance!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:33 PM

A said:

Appearance dictated (perhaps voluntarily) by worshippers/dominant race is a very interesting idea. Assuming this takes place in Malaziworld, it would make sense to place this time-wise in the beginning of the demise of the KCCM. With the fall of the K'Chain as the dominant race(s), the EGs are able to travel to the Malaziworld, and Lio' adopts a jaghutular facade despite the rest of his body not blending in with them in the least. Maybe magically dying your skin grey-green takes a few months...

Interesting idea, but his tusks don't sound like Jaghut tusks.

Raest (GotM):

Raest’s withered, cracked face twisted into a savage grin, his lower tusks splitting desiccated skin.

Gothos (DG):

Huge tusks framed his thin mouth, jutting from his lower lip.

Huntress (MT:

Silver-capped tusks.

Icarium (DG):

ragged tips of tusks bulging the line of his thin lower lip

At least with Gothos, we get the idea that his tusks stick out prominently when his mouth is closed. With Liossercal, they are blunt, and appear when he smiles.

Sirius, If you have trouble seeing in the dark, or are plagued by Deragoth or assasins, talk to your doctor about Liossercal. Liossercal is a registered trademark of Fatherlight Corporation.

#43 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

SiriusL;308959 said:

Interesting idea, but his tusks don't sound like Jaghut tusks....[adminarable quote fu deleted for space]

True, but i'm suggesting these may have been a Jaghut influence, not an outright resemblance. This was likely a primitive time for the world, and Ossi, born of a primal force, might reflect that, including that the jaghut were the only serious racial power around then.

Sirius, If you have trouble seeing in the dark, or are plagued by Deragoth or assasins, talk to your doctor about Liossercal. Liossercal is a registered trademark of Fatherlight Corporation.

THIS.
Is a GREAT.
Sign off.

Rep'd.

- Abyss, trendsetter :D
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#44 User is offline   SiriusL 

• Canine brilliance!

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Abyss;308982 said:

True, but i'm suggesting these may have been a Jaghut influence, not an outright resemblance. This was likely a primitive time for the world, and Ossi, born of a primal force, might reflect that, including that the jaghut were the only serious racial power around then.

I was thinking along the lines of Liossercal being simply a more primitive version of Osserc. If magic, races, and the world all evolve, why not Ascendants? He's more primal and animalistic, so has big meat-eating teeth.

THIS.
Is a GREAT.
Sign off.

Rep'd.

Hey thanks!

#45 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

For me all of this is taking place before the KCCM have come to Wu.

Various reasons behind this conclusion (sorry if this is a bit confusing, it's too late at night to try and explain it better):

1) The coming of Light is hinted as an event not so far in the past in this prologue. The KCCM didn't live in complete darkness!
2) We know that Anomander and his followers went to Wu when MD turned to the Light, i.e. pretty long before Scabandari&Silchas came to Wu. Moreover, he could have been known to the Universe as a whole even earlier.
3) Personally, from this prologue I get the feeling of a young, developing world, on which Earthly forces still take place, one which is a new alternative to both the EG and the Draconean Ascendants.
4) Osserc has once or twice been referred to as an Elder God. At the time of the MT prologue, the "true" EG are already familiar with Wu. In fact later in his chat with his daughters Osserc himself speaks of them as "the gods of this world" (which is kinda contradictory given this prologue..). My point being that the MT prologue sees the EG, Anomander and Osserc having been on Wu for a long long time. Now if we arrange this timeframe:

- All is Darkness, Draconus begins forging a way for MD to escape Chaos
- The coming of Light (+ Osserc; as is hinted in this prologue he had already been striding into the Light), the fall-into-disgrace of Draconus (?), the birth of Shadow, the split between MD & Anomander
- Anomander and his Andii turn to Starvald Demelain and find a shelter on Wu.
- Osserc comes to Wu; EG come to Wu.
- The KCCM come to Wu. According to popular opinion (to which I never agreed), they repel the EG from that place.
- The KCCM power weakens. Edur&Silchas' Andii invade Wu. KCCM "deathspell".
- etc....

it all sorts of falls into place, doesnt it?

Interesting question: Who are the "others" Liossercal speaks about? Liossan or not?

p.s. @Apt - nah.. ;p

#46 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

Denuth reminds me of one of those servants of Burn in MoI.

#47 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=SiriusL;309008]I was thinking along the lines of Liossercal being simply a more primitive version of Osserc. If magic, races, and the world all evolve, why not Ascendants? He's more primal and animalistic, so has big meat-eating teeth.
[QUOTE]

Did Liossercal level up and digi-volve into Osserc, or did his trainer just use the Stone of Light to do it automatically?

[quote=Jorram]1) The coming of Light is hinted as an event not so far in the past in this prologue. The KCCM didn't live in complete darkness![/quote]
I'm not sure the 'coming of Light' should be taken quite as literally, except maybe for Kurald Galain...

[quote name='Jorram]it all sorts of falls into place' date=' doesnt it?[/quote']
not really...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#48 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

Well, there WAS an event involving MD and the Light and the time before is referred to as "the time of all Darkness"

#49 User is offline   Nameless One 

• Recruit

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

I guess I must be missing something.

"Then, to achieve balance once more, is born the Eleint, and chaos is given flesh, and that flesh is draconic. Ruled by the Queen, who must be slain again and again by every child she bears. And her Consort, who loves none but himself. Then Liege, servant and guardian and doomed to eternal failure. Knight, the very sword of chaos itself -- 'ware his path! And Gate, that which is the Breath. Wyval, spawn of the dragons, and the Lady, the Sister, Blood-Drinker and Path-Shaper. The Fell Dragons."

"The Eleint would destroy all in their paths to achieve vengeance," Feather Witch said in a grating voice. "As we all shall see in the long night to come. The Queen lies dead and may never rise again. The Consort writhes upon a tree and whispers with madness of the time of his release. The Liege is lost, dragging chains in a world where to walk is to endure, and where to halt is to be devoured. The Knight strides his own doomed path, soon to cross blades with his own vengeance. Gate rages with wild fire. Wyval--"

Draconus seems to fit the Liege better than the Consort. I know Denuth addresses him as Consort of Dark, but is there reason to believe that he was Tiam's consort as well, as multiple people in this thread have suggested?

#50 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

No. There is no reason for this that I have ever seen. I think it is an accidental assumption by several people.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#51 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:47 PM

Yes, it seems you are correct. Must be Liege.. Now that i remember, we deduced Consort must have been Scabandari.

#52 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Jorram;309533 said:

Yes, it seems you are correct. Must be Liege.. Now that i remember, we deduced Consort must have been Scabandari.

Not exactly. Don't think linear - we don't know what or when FW is ref'ing there, and Consort may be a position or curse, so to speak, more than an individual. And one individual can represent more than one position.

Consort, who loves none but himself....The Consort writhes upon a tree and whispers with madness of the time of his release...

Scabby is possible, but so are Osserc, Silchas and Rake, all selfish. All got their freak on with Tiam at some point. Plus Draconus and Krul were supposedly both draconic, which opens the possibility that either could have sheboinged the skanky ho at some point and filled the role (no pun intended, sort of.)

If we narrow it by those we know were imprisoned, Scabby was in a Finnest, Silch was under an Azath... Silch takes the edge.

Plus the possibility that it's a character we haven't seen before.

That said, Draconus' actions here certainly suggest selfishness...

My point being, SE is tricky.

- Abyss, trickster...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#53 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

The otataral dragon would be a great suggestion, except for the fact it's female. Unless Pearl guessed wrong, I need to reread that bit.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#54 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:23 AM

DOUBLAY POSTAY

I'm rereading MT, and there's loads of bits that get thrown in that might be useful. The latest part I reread, when the Ceda is sending Brys to the Azath the first time, has a list of what Dragon Hold tiles are awakening. Wyval, Blood-drinker, Gate and Consort.

(there was also a section about the FA building tombs to store Jaghut bodies while the owner's souls abandoned them and went to OP, which sounds VERY FAMILAR TO SOMETHING FROM RG HINT HINT)
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#55 User is offline   Shayed 

• Recruit

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

I think Consort is Silchas Ruin, he "writhes upon a tree", the tree being the Azath in Lether. The "whispers of madness"-part, does point in Scabandari's direction, although I consider Silchas Ruin to be quite insane as well.
Besides he was the one who drank the most of Tiam's blood, wasn't he? Maybe that somehow has to do something with him being Consort.

Wasn't Draconus referred to as "Kin of Tiam" somewhere? (in MoI iirc) Does this make them 'related' or something?

#56 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

Wasn't there a better alternative for Silchas from all figures mentioned in FW's reading though? Forgive me, I seem to have forgotten that part completely. I only remember parts of the discussion it had spawned and I was convinced people generally accepted Scabandari then.

#57 User is offline   Tattooed Hand 

• High Fist

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

I take exception to Tiam being called a Skanky ho. What's wrong with getting your freak on with as many different, um, ahem, folks, as possible?

What is the deal with that? Do we actually know that all these draconian soletaken got their freak on with Tiam or that they are the children of someone who did? I've heard tell of drinking her blood, but is that the same as getting your freak on? Do we actually know how this works?

#58 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

I imagine they drank her blood and then got it on [linet]else she might have been slightly underwhelmed[/linet] to produce the kiddies.

#59 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

I believe Ruin was referenced to as "blood-drinker" or something....

... or that may have been that spear from LoK...
*confused*

As for "Skanky ho"--take it up with Abyss. It's his patented phrase.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#60 User is offline   Blacksox 

• Captain

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Illuyankas;309919 said:

The otataral dragon would be a great suggestion, except for the fact it's female. Unless Pearl guessed wrong, I need to reread that bit.

Who says Consort has to be a male. Tiam has slept with everything else she could by Bi.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users