• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

seguleh first?

#161 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:12 PM

It's about number of deaths and I agree with Aptorian.
Remember,dont count Karsa, he's the only flaw in MBOTF.I hope something will happen in the next books to change my mind about him.Maybe he becomes arrogant enough to challenge Rake.Then Rake kills him with magic without breaking a sweat.I'd like to see that.

I don't care what he will achieve.His character doesnt remind me of a genius uber-disciplined swordsman.Though SE tries his best to present him as a genius of sorts well I'm not convinced.

#162 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

We saw twp ships, Icariums and Karsa's. And all of them has K'risnan on them, health or comfort wouldn't be a problem.

As for the quality of fighters. I think he fought plenty of excellent fighters. The Palace officials even had evaluations and projections about how many times Rhulad would die to kill one.

#163 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

Ha I suppose...Still, theres just something I cant shake bout the way Karsa beat him, he was like a child compared to Karsa, I cant believe he had as much skill as we were led to believe.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#164 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:57 PM

Zanth13;335555 said:

Interesting, well Mok was originally sent away as part of the punitive army (totaling 3). Any underlining causes are almost irrelevant cuz thats the official reason.

now other segulah might be looking for the 2nd, or the 2nds mask... possible... and that is an interesting theory...

ROTCG Spoiler BEWARE..haslkdjfhalsjdhfasjhflas AHAHAHAHAHAH

Spoiler

Spoiler

#165 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

Actually the Segulah 12th was found almost dead somewhere near Callows or something. Cant find the quote that goes with that.
I agree with Apt that it was too easy. The whole scene goes on about how Rhulad is sweating and tired and Karsa hasnt even broken a sweat. I mean there was another almost full blooded TTT who killed Rhulad 7 times and they had accorded Karsa with only 3 days cause they thought those days were over where Rhulad could be killed so many times.
I also wanted an epic battle with Karsa winning by just a little.

#166 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:33 PM

Does it not strike to as somewhat sychophantic the way they (The chancellor) panders to Rhulad during those conversations on how he would not be killed 7 times by Karsa or as they go through the lists of Champions?

There was never anythig grand from Rhulad why would he deserve a grand death? The character died just as he had lived. As a tool and nothing more.
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#167 User is offline   Tarcil 

• Corporal

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

The sword was intended for Karsa right?
Maybe the Crippled God made the power of the sword less so that Rhulad would get killed and Karsa would arrive and claim the sword.

long shot, I know, but it makes sense, how else would Karsa get the sword?

#168 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

The Crippled God should have supported Karsa from the start, not tried to focus on manipulating Rhulad as his tool again. His plan changes make him very unattractive in that sense.

#169 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

Again?

Why can't the crippled god support both Karsa and Rhulad at the same time? He's a god, it's not like he has a short attention span or limited ressources...

#170 User is offline   Sotgnomen 

• Recruit

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

Haha apt, it's not like we're not perfectly spoiled with epic battles as it is in this series.
Im a bit divided in this. I of course also wanted an epic grand finale with Karsa vs CG(through Rhulad). Though I think we've seen that with CG and his servants it usually ends with grovelling and whining(witness Pannion, The Leper, Bidithal, not to mention the end scene with Karsa, CG and Rhulad)
Though I wanted an epic battle, I agree with L'oric that this was nothing more than Rhulads character deserved(if only he'd dragged the Errant with him too:P)

But logically it made sense to me. Yes, he's faced deadly fighters before, but we've had no indication he's faced anything that could stand up to say a Deragoth, let alone kill two. Picture this TTB who killed him seven as an example. Do you see a guy someone like Kalam for instance could not dispatch of? Fact of it is Karsa, Icarium, others.. are in an entirely different league.
Of course, we could be disappointed Karsa discovered the solution so fast. If Rhulad had been allowed to come back a few more times, it could have been an entirely different battle.

#171 User is offline   muco 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:33 AM

If not for Karsa knowing Rhulads secret, he would have ended up dead.

On the other hand, why are so many so suprised of Karsa's ability with a sword. He comes from a clan that is as much into war as Seguleh is and Karsa does happen to be the best among them. Add to that the 90+ years of training he has had. We are not surprised by Mok displaying such skill but are when its Karsa who is doing it. I thought the first book of HOC does make us realize how teblor functioned.

Like SE stated in an interview, people just tend to underestimate Karsa.

#172 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:14 AM

In the past Karsa used to underestimate anyone else but he survived.
He survived because of his physical strength and immunity to magic.
Back when he left his home he was not half the warrior he is now imho
I think the Seguleh society is unique in the Malazan world

#173 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

I think the CG's idea of handing Karsa the sword after Rhulad killed Karsa was either a) an attempt to salvage his plan, or :mad: his real plan all along. In another thread, an idea occured to me... In RG Silchas states that if it wasn't for his worshippers, the CG would have healed long ago... Maybe he is trying to groom Karsa as a replacement God of the Broken so that he himself can heal?
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#174 User is offline   Rope 

• Recruit

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:55 PM

the CG wants karsa in his deck, but karsa is not having it. I think in HOC when they tell him that he is the knight of chains..he is like I don't follow any God.
same thing happened in RG, i dont think the sword was ever meant for Karsa, the CG just tried to play it off once he killed Rhulald

#175 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:17 AM

L said:

Does it not strike to as somewhat sychophantic the way they (The chancellor) panders to Rhulad during those conversations on how he would not be killed 7 times by Karsa or as they go through the lists of Champions?

There was never anythig grand from Rhulad why would he deserve a grand death? The character died just as he had lived. As a tool and nothing more.

He was a dick. What really pissed me off about Rhulad was how no matter who went up against him (Dassem, Seguleh 1st, Skinner, etc) he would eventually be able to beat them, purely by the sword's power. Dumb. :D

#176 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

Well apparently not :p :D
- China Mieville

#177 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:10 AM

Lisheo;338023 said:

Well apparently not :p :D

Yeah... well, the CG intervened I bet.

#178 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:21 AM

What are the seguleh exactly? I know there was a few connections to darujhistan and some thing to do with tyrants...I'm a bit fuzzy about the details but why is it they occur on a single island? surely they came from somewhere

(I'm looking here for something similar to the Barghast being descended from the Thelomen.)
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#179 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

From the top of my head:

Seguleh meant something like Hammer (the Tor'ud Kabal (or whatever the spelling is) of sorcerors in Dharujistan was a translation of Anvil, I think, or came close to the words used somewhere (Feather Whitch?) for Shield Anvil). EDIT: it might also be the other way around.

It was hinted somewhere that they were the (exiled?) army of the Tyrants of Dharujistan - if anything, that concept resembles the one of the Emperor's slave/prisoner elite-soldiers in Dune.
More, it would fit with the reason for their hierarchical structure in society (taken over from military ranks/ valor?): an army forced to become a nation by itself might cling to its concepts of valor, worthiness and discipline, and then ritualize these values.

Also, but this is circumstantial evidence at best and biased guesswork at its worst: compare the need for duels among the Seguleh with the challenges and great value attached to dueling skills in Dharujistan - both by nobles (Turban Orr) and by well-to-do residents (Murillo, a possible Adept, Stonny, who, if not noble, at the least pretends to be upperclass, wielding a rapier - a supreme dueling weapon) - the dueling seems to be absent amongst the nobility in the Malazan Empire, at the least.

If the Seguleh were exiled, it does not explain why their name seems to be in tandem with the Cabal. Wasn't there a hint/ outright mention somewhere that it was the sorcerors who ousted the last (human) Tyrants of Dharujistan?
Or did the (immortal?) Cabal go underground (as their changed names seem to imply when Crokus reads the manuscripts after the death of his uncle) while the army exiled itself to reclusion after doing its duty or becoming obsolete?
Also, if the Seguleh's exile was self-imposed, it would also be the reason why they haven't gone out and conquered the world, which would be the ultimate test (or sport) for a warrior-nation like the Seguleh.

The more I think about it, the more I like that crazy theory - but that is my speculation, and can thus hardly be considered to be an answer to your question :D
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#180 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

Well, Tapper pretty much answered it. But I read Mok saying in MoI that the Seguleh knew much of foreign lands, and much more than Lady Envy thought they did.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users