• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#6781 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

I haven't seen TRL for some reason but if you anti-Mallick you a certified squirm worm.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6782 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:55 AM

I don't know whether a squirm worm is good or bad, but the only movie as plodding and boring as TRL was The New World.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6783 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:14 AM

You certified, SB.

#6784 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:15 AM

Now I KNOW certified is good! Posted Image

#6785 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:01 AM

The New World is a phenomenal movie. Wow.

The Thin Red Line, I liked because it made more of the actual rejection of war a thing. The boredom combined with alienation of both sides fighting and the civilians, plus the senseless violence, made it one of the better war movies I've ever seen.

I would watch the five hour versions of each - if they became commercially available.

Malick is not for everyone though. I get that, but don't get how you can put down New World.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6786 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:23 AM

From IMDB:

"Terrence Malick was born in Ottawa, Illinois. "

No wonder you either love or hate his stuff. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Sombra: 29 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6787 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:03 AM

Saving Private Ryan had one good sequence - taking the beach. As a movie it fails miserably. Thin Red Line was far superior and engaging. Neither one can hold a candle to the german/swedish co-production "Stalingrad", tho.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#6788 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

Speaking of slow burners I just watched Under the Skin and really enjoyed it. Sci-fi minimalism, goes from chilling and clinical to something...not warm, per se, but more humane? Maybe. Definitely something to think on for a while.

#6789 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Just got around to watching a slow paced film again - The Man from Earth, not sure what it is about the film but it keeps me captivated throughout! I didn't want it to end, just wanted to keep hearing them speak and Johns story!

edit

SPR > TRL for me!

This post has been edited by champ: 29 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#6790 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostBriar King, on 29 August 2014 - 02:55 AM, said:

The New World had so much more potential but it became lost around the halfway mark to me. Another Colin movie that had potential was Alexander but no that failed to. I'm still waiting on a good Alexander flix.

I found both of those tremendously disappointing. I can't fault Mallick for ambition but his execution doesn't work for me. He tries too hard to humanize his subjects by downplaying the events around them (Alexander took over a frikkin continent, his love life is less interesting to me), at the expense of the story.

View PostGothos, on 29 August 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

Saving Private Ryan had one good sequence - taking the beach. As a movie it fails miserably. Thin Red Line was far superior and engaging.

The sniper in the tower? The bridge at the end? ...those weren't 'good'? Nevermind the beach, which is almost unfair to hold any film again, TRL didn't have a single action sequence that came close to those, and largely because it lack any character to genuinely care about when the shooting did start.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6791 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

View PostAbyss, on 29 August 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

The New World had so much more potential but it became lost around the halfway mark to me. Another Colin movie that had potential was Alexander but no that failed to. I'm still waiting on a good Alexander flix.

I found both of those tremendously disappointing. I can't fault Mallick for ambition but his execution doesn't work for me. He tries too hard to humanize his subjects by downplaying the events around them (Alexander took over a frikkin continent, his love life is less interesting to me), at the expense of the story.

Alexander isn't a Malick film. It was Oliver Stone.

I totally don't mind Malick's tendency to downplay the 'great events' to focus on the people within them, but if that's a complaint you have about his newer films, have you ever tried either of his old ones? Not that they don't focus on the people, but they're not really set during any great events, so it may not be so distracting to be looking at them instead of the wider picture.

Badlands in particular is phenomenal. And it has Martin Sheen in it.

TRL was never going to top SPR in terms of action scenes, because one's an action film and one isn't. The main problem with it I had was simply that the emotional tone was badly misjudged. Spielberg is one of my favourite directors but he does have an occasional tendency to mawkishness or saccharine, and SPR is perhaps the film (that I've seen, since I've avoided some of the more blatantly sugary films altogether) where it damages the whole work most.

Plus I don't like Tom Hanks very much.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#6792 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on 29 August 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Saving Private Ryan had one good sequence - taking the beach. As a movie it fails miserably. Thin Red Line was far superior and engaging.

The sniper in the tower? The bridge at the end? ...those weren't 'good'? Nevermind the beach, which is almost unfair to hold any film again, TRL didn't have a single action sequence that came close to those, and largely because it lack any character to genuinely care about when the shooting did start.

Giovani Ribisi's death and the scene following are fantastic as well.

Plus, Nathan Fillion.

#6793 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

Watched Lets Be Cops last night.
Entertaining comedy. Plenty of laughs and a few genuine some stomach parts for me.
The two leads played off each other well and the villain was suitably cartoonish

#6794 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

Saw Lucy and Into the Storm yesterday.

Into the Storm is a boring story with bad actors against the backdrop of FUCKING HUGE TORNADOS AND OH BALLS THAT ONE DUDE JUST GOT SUCKED UP INTO THE TWISTER ON TOP OF THE BURNING PETROL STATION AND HE'S TOTALLY ON FIRE AND ALSO IN A TORNADO also there are some rednecks and they're the best characters.

Lucy is the best comedy film of the year.

e: No, I'm serious. Lucy is fucking hilarious.

Spoiler

It's comedy gold!

This post has been edited by Grand Chef of High House Decay: 01 September 2014 - 11:48 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6795 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:15 AM

I finally reinstated discs from netflix so I watched Iron Man 3. I'll do Thor 2 (blech) and Cap America 2 (hooray) soon. You guys probably already know this, but it was pretty...uneven. Cool ideas alternated with terrible ideas at a breakneck pace! Anyway the whole reason I'm posting this is I wanted to say I hope Miguel Ferrer got paid a bunch for his role. He's on screen like 2 minutes, why even bother hiring such a notable actor? He's instantly recognizable by everybody, of course, but he's not "big" enough to be considered stunt casting by any means. Such a weird way to spend a movie budget.

#6796 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:14 AM

The recent documentary about her is pretty good. I get why some love her and some hate her. I think she gets a lot of flack as an insult comic -- because she's a woman -- compared to a contemporary like Don Rickles who gets absolutely nothing but admiration. Though she could certainly be a lot more acidic, and I suppose her politics were more outspoken and could be vile, and her focus in recent years on fashion was decidedly shallow territory -- but I also don't think her importance in stand-up can be overstated (alongside Phyllis Diller and Moms Mabley).

#6797 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

Finally got around to seeing AMAZING SPIDERMAN 2.

I still like Garfield as Parker and especially Spiderman.

BUT

Man this movie is overstuffed with bad things. The maudlin relationship stuff, the Matt Dillon / Electro character was pretty poorly scripted, as was Harry Osborne, and don't get me started on Rhino.

The last act/action setpiece was just fine, and I liked that he fights Electro for most of it and just when he thinks he's done he has to fight the Goblin (I refuse to refer to Harry as the Green Goblin, that is SUPPOSED to be his father) as well. But he doesn't exactly feel overtaxed and I think he should. We never exactly get an exhausted Peter who can't summon the energy to fight anymore, making mistakes...which is what I wanted to see I think.

The Sinister Six stuff is clunkily shoehorned in at a level that is astonishingly poorly done. I get their intention to try to get up to a Marvel-esque multi-film-character world (as is evidenced not only by the Six suits, but also by having Felicia Hardy in there for a future Black Cat appearance), but man this was NOT the way to go about it.

It doesn't exactly suffer from the multiple-villain pitfalls of Spiderman 3....but it doesn't exactly avoid them either. We should sympathize with Dillon and we don't He basically starts out as nice guy, and then goes full-on evil. There is no middle ground of grey area that there should be. We also get a Harry Osborne who's development amounts to "I'm sick with the same thing my dad was, gimmie your blood Spiderman." and that's it. They are supposedly "best friends" (or at least the script tells us they are) but I never get the feeling they are anything but acquaintances. So both villains get less screen time and depth of character because Marc Webb wanted to have both in it. Which is a bit sad. The bets villains (The Joker, Loki) are the ones who we are allowed to get inside their heads. I could not tell you what is really wrong with Electro or Harry in their heads because I'm never allowed to see it, I'm just told they are evil now and must be stopped.

Also, did they ACTUALLY, ACTUALLY show me the very last shot/sequence of the film in the TRAILER?! The webbed-up sewer lid being swung in slow mo at Rhino is the shot the film ends on...and that was a key moment in one of the main trailers. That's like the worst thing I can fathom someone who cuts a trailer DOING.

An entertaining final act of action doesn't make up for the fact that this movie is an unmitigated mess.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6798 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

There was a Cinemax free weekend so I watched We're the Millers. I didn't like it that much so I think I'm at the lower end of the spectrum here (most found it formulaic but amusing). I found the cast affable and that kid from Son of Rambow did a particularly good job in a role that's usually personality-less, but I just didn't find much of it funny (somehow I already knew Offerman's family's quirks, which had the most potential but must have been spoiled by promotional stuff cuz I certainly didn't read up on the movie privately).

#6799 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

Just seen The Conjuring. Severely disappointed. For a few minutes near the beginning it was creepy enough but descended into full blown predictability and jump scares. I'll give the movie some credit for having not-completely-retarted hunters, but that's about it. Western horror still can't hold a candle to east asian.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#6800 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:13 AM

I watched Thor 2. Not much to say about it except it was still lugnut dumb but a lot better than the first one. Roughly three times better. In other words I give it 3 stars.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users