• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The daughters, a time paradox?

#21 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

I know Malaclypse has been working hard to try and resolve SE's timeline screwups into a workable timeline in collaboration with Steve, which has involved ignoring some dates (in fact it's noticeable that SE has stopped using dates since BH), so we'll see what the official explanation is.

#22 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:39 PM

Is there any possibility that the Faces in the Rock are pulling some strings where Karsa's offspring are concerned? Do they have that type of power? In league with the CG, perhaps? Are they even still a factor? And what about Dayliss's child (mentioned on pg. 39 in HOC MMPB)?

#23 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:04 PM

Regarding the Seven Faces (aka the Unbound), I've been assuming they've ditched the Teblor. They posed as the Teblor gods because they had no choice - they were trapped, and grooming a likely Teblor to free them was their objective.

Once Karsa did that, they moved on to other things. And if they did have any post-freedom plans for the Teblor, I think it's safe to say that Karsa has ruined them.

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:36 PM

There was one of the unbound that controlled a little secret tribe of crippled teblor children.

I doubt that issue is resolved yet.

#25 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

I imagine the faces are still worshipped, but only as absent gods, they themselves will have long abandoned their places there. What good could they do the CG stuck in a rock anyway? He already has Karsa to manipulate with the Teblor, he won't need their gods too.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#26 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

Aptorian;266510 said:

There was one of the unbound that controlled a little secret tribe of crippled teblor children.

Well, the disfigured Teblor are still around, but their Unbound sort of got cut in half and thrown into a sea to dissolve in HoC, so that's one army of brainwashed Teblor looking for a cause.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#27 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:24 PM

Well we may just be worrying to much about this. They may just be mentioned in the prologue to give us the hint that Karsa is returning...that's it.

I know, it doesn't sound like SE at all...but they may only figure prominently in Karsa's return to the Teblor...and after that...who knows?

#28 User is offline   Venerus 

• High Fist

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

Aptorian;266510 said:

Siballe The Unfound was the one who controlled the kiddies, and she's also the one Karsa dissolved in HoC. So while the army could (and should?) still exist, it lacks a definitive Imass leader. Presumably, when Siballe left to hound Karsa, she left some kind of standing orders with her mutilated army. You're totally right though, that whole group is totally unresolved -- maybe TtH sees more of it, maybe Dayliss's kid takes over. ::shrug::

#29 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

A bunch of CG controlled Teblor is going to be a shitstorm of a severe magnitude if it hits the Malazans... I can't wait :p

#30 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

Well, it's unlikely to be CG controlled, Karsa will get there first, and possibly just do exactly the opposite of what the CG wants him to;)

Then again, he'll probably just go kick some malazans ass first, so their aims will coincide.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#31 User is offline   buddhacat 

• Fist

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

Why should it hit the Malazans? Karsa has said, in so many words, that the Malazans are not his enemy, and he keeps his word. Case closed.

Buddhacat

#32 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

Because the Teblor hate them. I mean Karsa's good and all, but how exactly is he gonna move a Teblor army down from the highlands without going through malazan territory, antagonising both sides? The CG sent him back, but I'm fairly sure he can't make his own portals...

#33 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:08 PM

An even crazier, stupider theory to makes sense of the time paradoxy thingy.

TTH's prologue and epilogue are bookended. Both take place after the events of TTH. Complementing each other.

The prologue left some pretty mean cliffhangers, and while I assume they'll be answered in the novel itself, perhaps they're just being set up by the events of TTH. Maybe...

I honestly don't have a clue. The lack of dates pretty much leaves it wide open for speculation.

#34 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

A prologue being set after the novel?

That's... crazier than most theories;) I have seen it happen once before, but it's hardly Erikson's modus operandi.

#35 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

A prologue being set after the novel..

Ow. My...head...feels..kinda...KABLOOM!

*Neq's body proceeds to walk around, arms outstrechted looking for the pieces of his head*

#36 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

I'm not really that concerned yet. I'm sure the answer to this "paradox" will become obvious when we have the entire book infront of us. Still its fun to speculate!

#37 User is offline   buddhacat 

• Fist

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:36 PM

caladanbrood;266617 said:

Because the Teblor hate them. I mean Karsa's good and all, but how exactly is he gonna move a Teblor army down from the highlands without going through malazan territory, antagonising both sides? The CG sent him back, but I'm fairly sure he can't make his own portals...

Karsa will be their Warleader. That's sort of a King. What the Teblor think is of little relevance, it's what Karsa thinks that'll hold. That's the nature of that society. That the Teblor hate Children (generic) is known, Karsa has contempt for them too. But the Malazans are explicitly not an enemy. So unless the Teblor rebel against Karsa, there is no way they will initiate war with the Malazans.

Now, the Malazans - being ignorant - may provoke war (after all, Laseen is not exactly in full control.) That's not the same as the Teblor declaring war on the Malazans.

Buddhacat

#38 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:12 AM

Karsa ran away as a kid and hasn't been seen since... he'll do well to be in total control of them. Still, you're probably right, but it'll be dissapointment if he totally dominates them :p

#39 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

You know you'se are all trying to 'figure out' how these two girls assuming they are daughters are as old they are now.

Isn't it possibly SE fucked up?

We know there are a few minor inconsistencies in GotM. Since then the only thing has been timeline which in itself hasn't been a real problem. But in regards to these two ageing too fast assuming they are his daughters this probably his first stuff up yet.

#40 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:29 AM

We still don't know how long between the end of RG and the beginning of TTH. Thats the best hope of him not messing it up at the moment.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users