Malazan Empire: The Comics Thread! - Malazan Empire

• 118 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Comics Thread! SLAM! WHAM! KA-BOOM! KER-SPLODE!!!

#2201 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 June 2022 - 02:33 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 28 June 2022 - 10:48 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 28 June 2022 - 05:57 PM, said:

Wait, you mean 'BY ODIN'S FADE!' is not a traditional Norse warrior oath?

The cherry on top being he doesn't even have a fade in the book, he's bald. And wearing Timbalands coz of course.

I actually agree with you to some extent on Batman. I mean, I like his solo comics fine and think him playing off Gordon, in the right hands, is just as interesting as him playing off GL, but ultimately for me Batman is while not quite a blank slate, he's kind of a relatively simple archetypal insert around which good stories happen easily than a really deeply compelling character all on his own.

The frost giant had a fade. Needed some bling and a necklace with a giant 'COOL' tho'.
....gods that was such bad comics. Very 'who thought this was a good idea and why do they still work here?'.

Re Bats, historically i mostly went for team books over solo heroes... why read about one character when you can have seven? Hawkman, boring strong dude who flaps wings, hits things. Hawkman arguing w Green Arrow and throwing the Atom at baddied and going up against foes who flattened Superman, THAT i want to read.
Part of it is that Batman has been around or so very very long, and sure, the character has evolved, but not really changed. That's normal for Big 2 characters but it puts me, as a reader, off because it's all familiar - same thing that threw me out of the Xmen books and only brings me back when someone really really changes the mix. But Batwoman and Spoiler and this Clayface are all new/new'ish to me, and i'm only familiar w Red Robin and Orphan/Cass/Batgirl distantly, so when Tynion focuses on them, and Batman is part of the story but not its center, i get something new. (New'ish, some of the storylines are still familiar but thats what you get after a few decades of reading DC and Marvel).

In other pretty piccy reads a random exchange on comics twitter brought me back to Marvel's EXILES. This was a 90s xmen book about a team of alt reality Xmen (notably Age of Apocalypse Blink, Sabretooth and Morph (sort of) ) bounding around alt realities trying to 'fix' things. It started incredibly strong, had a Suicide Squad like vibe because much of the cast died or were replaced, and stayed the fnck away from mass crossovers. Around two years in Bedard, the primary writer, leaned too heavily into the humour angle for me, and then Chuck 'wrote a teen banging an adult in midair while her parents watched and also wolverine is afraid of werewolves' Austen had a run and i bailed. Thanks to the MU app i did a reread, skimmed the 'funny' arcs, skipped Austen's mess entirely and read the balance of the 100 floppy run. It's pretty great, i'm a sucker for alt realities (see upthread re Spiderverse) and Bedard (came back after Austen thank all the powers in the universe) and co made some fun ones while making the core team engaging characters. Adding not-doing-anything-at-the-time Spidey 2099 and Longshot to the mix later on was a nice touch.

And then without warning Chris Claremont takes over and OMG someone pass me the concentrate OJ i need to burn these last ten floppies from my brain and eyes. Random character shifts, important events being related in 'last issue' summaries because they sure as fnck didn't show them, atrocious dialogue... dead Spiderman ex Gwen Stacy shows up at one point but the reader wouldn't know that because she spends the first issue making out with Spidey 2099 and looks exactly like the other blond woman character, the second issue declaring her love for him but unnamed, and the third she's named, apparently has powers we never see, then... dies, or something, i'm not sure i read it twice Dr Doom was doing... something evil, i think, maybe, but dwarf Reed Richards stopped him while the main characters hid in a cave or fought w Gwen Stacy HONESTLY CLAREMONT THE FUCK DID I JUST READ??? ...anyrate aside from the Austen mess and dismal end EXILES was a great read.

It kills me that the writer who boosted the Xmen to what they are continually returns to comics and just.... meh.

Ah well, back to DETECTIVE.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2202 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:01 AM

Working my way into Fables vol 9: Sons of Empire.

Spoiler

#2203 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:06 PM

View PostJPK, on 07 July 2022 - 06:01 AM, said:

Spoiler

I have so much love for FABLES. I've been procrastinating reading thru the sequel series/spinoffs for a while now bcs the original 150 floppies were such a satisfying run.

Then the original team of Willingham and Buckington returned this year for a 12 floppy continuation with some one shots (including a Bigby & Batman teamup) so now i plan to reread and finish the spinoffs just in time for the collection of the new run, yay!

Interesting that Willingham returned to Fables after so thoroughly slamming the Big 2 in comics media last year, tho most of his 'wrath' was directed at Marvel, i suppose. I could see DC throwing big dollars at them after the success they had bringing back SANDMAN just in time for the audible and TV series'.

Semi related aside, if you like me didn't know that long before FABLES and other earlier comics work, Willingham worked for TSR, this is fascinating.... https://billwillingh...the-d-and-d-war .

In other pretty floppy picture related stuff, the unsatisfying end to my EXILES read took me to the parallel NEW EXCALIBUR series Claremont also wrote at the time because it tied in and maybe could help it all make sense and and no no no gods just no wtf WHY WHY WHY DOES HE KEEP DOING THIS AND WHY DO I KEEP TRYING????

Fortunately Tynion's Detective run over at DC continues to entertain. At some point i noticed this was taking place during the 'REBIRTH' phase and yet mostly ignoring all of that and wow what a shitshow that whole idea was for DC, yet completely on brand. Someone on twitter, i think Kurt Busiek, recently posted that DC really just doesn't worry much about continuity any more, and yah, i can see why.

#2204 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:37 PM

Finished IDW's TMNT Vol. 2 omnibus...and THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE FOOT CLAN is probably the best TMNT story I've read yet....my gods...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2205 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:50 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 July 2022 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostJPK, on 07 July 2022 - 06:01 AM, said:

Spoiler

I have so much love for FABLES. I've been procrastinating reading thru the sequel series/spinoffs for a while now bcs the original 150 floppies were such a satisfying run.

Then the original team of Willingham and Buckington returned this year for a 12 floppy continuation with some one shots (including a Bigby & Batman teamup) so now i plan to reread and finish the spinoffs just in time for the collection of the new run, yay!

Interesting that Willingham returned to Fables after so thoroughly slamming the Big 2 in comics media last year, tho most of his 'wrath' was directed at Marvel, i suppose. I could see DC throwing big dollars at them after the success they had bringing back SANDMAN just in time for the audible and TV series'.

Semi related aside, if you like me didn't know that long before FABLES and other earlier comics work, Willingham worked for TSR, this is fascinating.... https://billwillingh...the-d-and-d-war .

In other pretty floppy picture related stuff, the unsatisfying end to my EXILES read took me to the parallel NEW EXCALIBUR series Claremont also wrote at the time because it tied in and maybe could help it all make sense and and no no no gods just no wtf WHY WHY WHY DOES HE KEEP DOING THIS AND WHY DO I KEEP TRYING????

Fortunately Tynion's Detective run over at DC continues to entertain. At some point i noticed this was taking place during the 'REBIRTH' phase and yet mostly ignoring all of that and wow what a shitshow that whole idea was for DC, yet completely on brand. Someone on twitter, i think Kurt Busiek, recently posted that DC really just doesn't worry much about continuity any more, and yah, i can see why.

Been reading Batman vs Bigby on DCI as it comes out and am enjoying it. DCI recently added all of Fables, I'm about halfway through, I need to finish it.

#2206 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:03 PM

View PostT77, on 07 July 2022 - 03:50 PM, said:

... DCI recently added all of Fables, I'm about halfway through, I need to finish it.

You really really do.
Arguably the overarching plots for the back half aren't quite as strong as the war that forms the first half, but the character moments... dear gods some of those issues just broke me and others were jump out of the chair fist pump glorious.

#2207 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 08 July 2022 - 06:19 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 July 2022 - 04:03 PM, said:

View PostT77, on 07 July 2022 - 03:50 PM, said:

... DCI recently added all of Fables, I'm about halfway through, I need to finish it.

You really really do.
Arguably the overarching plots for the back half aren't quite as strong as the war that forms the first half, but the character moments... dear gods some of those issues just broke me and others were jump out of the chair fist pump glorious.

You're right, it's so damn good, comics at its best. I think the fact that it's 150 issues is what scares me off.

#2208 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 July 2022 - 01:57 PM

I'm about to embark on something....I saw Kentaro Miura's BERSERK Vol.1 Deluxe Omnibus on crazy sale so I bought it...I've heard that this is the best manga ever written, so I feel like I'm about to embark on something very special.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2209 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 July 2022 - 03:47 PM

I would temper expectations a wee bit regarding "greatest ever".

It certainly is good though. There are also occasional horrific elements of violence in a Malazan sort of way, so be aware of that.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2210 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 16 July 2022 - 02:10 PM

View Postamphibian, on 15 July 2022 - 03:47 PM, said:

I would temper expectations a wee bit regarding "greatest ever".

It certainly is good though. There are also occasional horrific elements of violence in a Malazan sort of way, so be aware of that.

Agreed. It's x-rated and in a disturbing way.

#2211 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 July 2022 - 08:28 PM

I finished the omnibus vol. I was…not impressed. It’s bog standard horror fantasy. Like what’s meant to impress me? What a waste of money.

#2212 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 July 2022 - 11:43 PM

Keep going, I'm not sure where the specific edition you're reading ends. The story has many early beats that go standard medieval fantasy that shifts into horror, yet I think it spends a big amount of time on "the costs" of the acts of horror and marching onwards towards a weird, weird place.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2213 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 17 July 2022 - 12:26 AM

View Postamphibian, on 16 July 2022 - 11:43 PM, said:

Keep going, I'm not sure where the specific edition you're reading ends. The story has many early beats that go standard medieval fantasy that shifts into horror, yet I think it spends a big amount of time on "the costs" of the acts of horror and marching onwards towards a weird, weird place.

I would agree for a lot of people, but I don't think I do in the case of QT. Their level of willingness to go through nastiness in a graphic novel format to get to the awesomeness seems to be lower than a lot of us. Their experiences with Remender's works stand as a good example towards my thinking here.

#2214 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 17 July 2022 - 05:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 July 2022 - 08:28 PM, said:

I finished the omnibus vol. I was…not impressed. It’s bog standard horror fantasy. Like what’s meant to impress me? What a waste of money.

I bought a whole bunch of volumes a while back, hearing how great it was. I don't dislike it, but it never really drew me in. And I've read many volumes.

#2215 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 July 2022 - 04:38 AM

Still reading Tynion's DETECTIVE run, still loving it.
Just got to the Azrael story guest starring Zatanna.
...I'm going to have to read everything Tynion has ever written after this, aren't I?

#2216 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 19 July 2022 - 01:17 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 July 2022 - 04:38 AM, said:

...I'm going to have to read everything Tynion has ever written after this, aren't I?

I highly recommend his Justice League Dark.

#2217 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 July 2022 - 04:45 AM

View PostT77, on 19 July 2022 - 01:17 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 19 July 2022 - 04:38 AM, said:

I highly recommend his Justice League Dark.

Noted.
Just concluded the BATMAN ETERNAL arc that ends the whole BatKnights/Belfry/Shadows/Victims/Colony story and... wow... i mean, it's easy enough to become invested in Orphan's story, or Spoiler's, and Red Robin, Tynion clearly 'gets' Tim and makes him his own character distinct from other Robins..., and Batwing and Azrael are fun and Batwoman is very well handled... but how... how the batfuck DID HE MAKE ME CARE ABOUT CLAYFACE???
Anyhoo, great run and the most fun i've had reading Batman is years.

#2218 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 July 2022 - 04:02 AM

So apparently Keanu Reeves is involved with a comic called BRZRKR from BOOM! about an immortal warrior:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRZRKR

Which may also be getting a live-action film and 2 seasons animation treatment with Netflix.

https://www.boom-stu.../series/brzrkr/

https://comicbook.co...comic-con-2022/

https://comics.fandom.com/wiki/BRZRKR

https://screenrant.c...w-many-details/
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2219 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 August 2022 - 05:37 AM

Season 1 of WAYNE FAMILY is now complete on WebToons. Good fun take on the Batfam, low action, high laffs.

Semi sort of sequel series RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS has a few eps up. More action, edgier humour, Red Hood, Artemis (the Amazon not the Arrowfam) and the best Bizarro yet are mercs kn an Indiana Jones style mission. Hilarity and explosions ensue. Worth a look.

#2220 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 August 2022 - 02:43 AM

Broke and bought the Image 90s and Image 00s Humble Bundles.
I couldn't resist the long Savage Dragon run plus JMS' Rising Stars compendium and a bunch of other stuff I dont have (and some i do but hey, bundles *shrug*).

In reads I've been working my way thru L.E.G.I.O.N. on the DCI, I had bailed out around 50 way back so it's been fun to resume the read and that era of DC. Some of it is incredibly weak and skim worthy but I'm in the solid Waid n Kitson run now and I didnt know they had done this together before EMPIRE.

Share this topic:

• 118 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users