Malazan Empire: The Comics Thread! - Malazan Empire

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Comics Thread! SLAM! WHAM! KA-BOOM! KER-SPLODE!!!

#2161 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:09 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 December 2021 - 05:06 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 December 2021 - 02:29 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 08 December 2021 - 05:02 AM, said:

Comics legends oh fuckit COMICS GOD George Perez announced today that he has untreatable pancreatic cancer and has been given six months to a year to live.

Dammit.

One of my faves (EDIT: one of the greats, possibly THE greatest in fact...), and the fact that he has exactly what my mom has and has been given the same timeframe for survival...fuck me that hits close to home.

Thought of your fam when the announcement hit. Hope you're all hanging in there.

Doing the best we can. Thanks man. We're going to take the kids to see her this weekend which we know brings her joy.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2162 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:21 PM

For the first time in a while I've been able to go on a good comics binge recently. Got myself an anniversary edition of Crisis on Infinite Earths which I'd somehow still never read so let's fix that, and also The Batman Who Laughs because I've liked much of what I've read of Snyder's Batman and Justice League work (including Dark Knights Metal, for the most part). Not read those two yet, but I did finish:

Doomsday Clock. Very good, surprisingly so. Not actually Watchmen class, of course, but as a mixing of the Watchmen 'verse and the DCU it was clever, and well-written.

The first volume Tuki by Jeff Smith. I gather he did this as a webcomic initially but has since reworked it and released it as a print comic. It's pretty slight so far, but, you know, Jeff Smith.

And last but not least, the first volume of a new-ish Boom Comics effort, We Only Find Them When They're Dead by Al Ewing and Simone Di Meo. Cosmic space opera about a 'verse where humanity's expanded to the edges of the galaxy but run out of natural resources and now survives off material mined from the bodies of the gods, dead Galactus-type beings that wash up on the edge of the galaxy. Little bit of murderous family drama, little bit of crime, little bit of cosmic adventure, mixed up. The art is in places perhaps a little bit less clear than it might be, but it's still cool as fuck, especially if you enjoy some heavily-digital stuff (I don't always, but it fits here).
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#2163 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:23 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 04 January 2022 - 08:21 PM, said:

Got myself an anniversary edition of Crisis on Infinite Earths which I'd somehow still never read so let's fix that

I'm super envious of you getting to read this one for the first time. It's probably my fave comic of that whole era. Enjoy!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2164 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:39 PM

Silver Age art is awesome.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#2165 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 January 2022 - 05:36 AM

The first volume Tuki by Jeff Smith. I gather he did this as a webcomic initially but has since reworked it and released it as a print comic. It's pretty slight so far, but, you know, Jeff Smith.

It's not BONE, but it'spretty good. I liked it, happy i backed the kickstarter, looking fwd to vol 2.

And last but not least, the first volume of a new-ish Boom Comics effort, We Only Find Them When They're Dead by Al Ewing and Simone Di Meo. Cosmic space opera about a 'verse where humanity's expanded to the edges of the galaxy but run out of natural resources and now survives off material mined from the bodies of the gods, dead Galactus-type beings that wash up on the edge of the galaxy. Little bit of murderous family drama, little bit of crime, little bit of cosmic adventure, mixed up. The art is in places perhaps a little bit less clear than it might be, but it's still cool as fuck, especially if you enjoy some heavily-digital stuff (I don't always, but it fits here).

Have this, haven't read yet, good to hear.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2166 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 January 2022 - 05:37 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 January 2022 - 08:23 PM, said:

Got myself an anniversary edition of Crisis on Infinite Earths which I'd somehow still never read so let's fix that

I'm super envious of you getting to read this one for the first time. It's probably my fave comic of that whole era. Enjoy!

Seconded. Also curious to read your thoughts when done.

#2167 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 January 2022 - 07:01 PM

On the Marvel front, I finished up Hickman's X-Men and Giant-Size X-Men, which was very good. Hickman's finale to X-Men, Inferno just dropped the first issue on MU, looking forward to reading that soon. I've read the first 3 issues of Duggan's (took over from Hickman) X-Men and Planet-Size X-Men. which is good too.

So yeah, X-Men is the best stuff I'm reading from Marvel now and I needed more. So, I dug through Abyss' recos and started reading S.W.O.R.D. and he was right, it's very good. I will need more X-Men, so I will mine Abyss' comments above.

And thanks polishgenius for the We Only Find Them When They're Dead reco, it's on Hoopla and now on my list.

#2168 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:14 PM

View PostAptorian, on 24 July 2021 - 08:01 PM, said:

Read the latest Immortal Hulk issues - This shit is so good. Why isn't there a new issue every day so I can OD on this weird awesomeness. One criticism I am developing is that every 10 issues they seem to be doing an "Oh noes, the hulk lost his powers, how will he survive" arc and this is getting old now. HULK IS THE STRONGEST THERE IS! APT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR CHEAP WRITERS TRICKS MAKING HULK LOOK PUNY!

Am on floppy 26 of the THE IMMORTAL HULK run and THIS COMIC SMASH.
It is so so good. They make brilliant use of the Hulk's history and supporting cast while taking the story to entirely new and gross places. I absolutely adore the way the writer uses the different Hulk personalities from the past without requiring readers to know thirty years of history. The overall story is utterly engaging, the baddies are extremely bad or nicely ambiguous, and ffs Alpha Flight's Puck is leading a Gamma Flight team consisting of the Absorbing Man and Titania and every time they show up i want to cheer.

The entire 50 floppy run is on the MU app and very worth reading.

I'm thinking of reading through the King in Black event but the reading order suggestion in the Marvel app is really weird, or the way they published this is all fucked. Tried looking up suggested reading orders but these seem insane as well. Either they want you to read 10 issues of one obscure heroes comic in 2020 and then 1 comic 2018 and then 5 in 2021, etc. or it's just a straight list that doesn't help to plot out what events happen in what order. I am not reading 10 issues of Black Cat for some tangental storyline lossely related to Knull. Surely Marvel can do better than this.

By most reports the BLACK CAT floppies are the best part of that mess.
...no, seriously...

#2169 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:04 PM

On the topic of Immortal Hulk, just finished the last issue, #50. Very good ending. On the whole, I liked the series, but not as much as everyone else. Loved the art.

#2170 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:41 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 January 2022 - 07:14 PM, said:

By most reports the BLACK CAT floppies are the best part of that mess.
...no, seriously...

And the KiB stuff is the weakest part of the BLACK CAT series. Seriously though, Jed MacKay's BLACK CAT is great.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#2171 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 February 2022 - 06:11 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 January 2022 - 07:14 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 24 July 2021 - 08:01 PM, said:

Read the latest Immortal Hulk issues - This shit is so good. Why isn't there a new issue every day so I can OD on this weird awesomeness. One criticism I am developing is that every 10 issues they seem to be doing an "Oh noes, the hulk lost his powers, how will he survive" arc and this is getting old now. HULK IS THE STRONGEST THERE IS! APT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR CHEAP WRITERS TRICKS MAKING HULK LOOK PUNY!

Am on floppy 26 of the THE IMMORTAL HULK run and THIS COMIC SMASH.
It is so so good. They make brilliant use of the Hulk's history and supporting cast while taking the story to entirely new and gross places. I absolutely adore the way the writer uses the different Hulk personalities from the past without requiring readers to know thirty years of history. The overall story is utterly engaging, the baddies are extremely bad or nicely ambiguous, and ffs Alpha Flight's Puck is leading a Gamma Flight team consisting of the Absorbing Man and Titania and every time they show up i want to cheer.

The entire 50 floppy run is on the MU app and very worth reading.

Just finished the entire IMMORTAL HULK run.
Very much enjoyed it. Hulk has never been one of my Marvel faves and i've mostly liked him when he's played off other characters, notably Thing or Thor or Spidey or Wolverine, but this was such a good take on the character and mythos and history. The end may have been a nudge more metaphysical than i want a Hulk story to be, but even that works and deserves praise for being more than 'ANGRIER HULK GETS SMASHIER HULK GETS'. I understand the next run ignored a lot of what went down here, but don't care, it was a totally enjoyable read.

Also read THE FEARSOME DOCTOR FANG and THE SEVEN SINS, both written by screen/tv writer Tze Chun with different art teams. On some level i suspect both of these were intended to be pitches for films or tv series, but they work REALLY well with the unlimited budget a good art team has to play with (and while the styles are distinctly pulp there are VERY good art teams if you enjoy that).

FANG is a pulp Indiana Jones style adventurer, where a cop, a treasure hunter, and the villain Dr Fang have to team up to stop a worse villain from ding bad things to the world.
SINS is pure western, a group of convicts finds themselves on the run and forced to help a renegade pastor return something to a Native war chief.

Both were fantastic fun, great to look at, and worth the money.

Next up, Tom Taylor and co's X-MEN: RED.

#2172 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 10 March 2022 - 07:38 PM

Massive Image comics sale on Humble Bundle. $25 gets you all of Saga, Monstress, Paper Girls (all fantastic) and many many more:

https://www.humblebu...rom-image-books
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#2173 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 March 2022 - 06:13 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 10 March 2022 - 07:38 PM, said:

Massive Image comics sale on Humble Bundle. $25 gets you all of Saga, Monstress, Paper Girls (all fantastic) and many many more:

https://www.humblebu...rom-image-books

THIS

GO BUY THIS RTF NOW

GO GO GO

#2174 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 28 March 2022 - 11:52 PM

Just a heads up to Abyss, DC Infinite is now available internationally if you haven't already heard. I believe you mentioned that you were interested.

#2175 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 March 2022 - 02:18 AM

View PostT77, on 28 March 2022 - 11:52 PM, said:

Just a heads up to Abyss, DC Infinite is now available internationally if you haven't already heard. I believe you mentioned that you were interested.

GREAT RAO
BY HERA
TO THE BATMOBILE
YAAAAAAAAAHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO

Finally ffs that took for fncking ever.

Tnx T77, I am on it like a Green Lantern on pistachio icecream.

#2176 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 29 March 2022 - 02:19 PM

View PostAbyss, on 29 March 2022 - 02:18 AM, said:

View PostT77, on 28 March 2022 - 11:52 PM, said:

GREAT RAO
BY HERA
TO THE BATMOBILE
YAAAAAAAAAHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO

Finally ffs that took for fncking ever.

Tnx T77, I am on it like a Green Lantern on pistachio icecream.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I subscribe to DCI and MU and I like DCI a bit more. Most seem to prefer Marvel, but I'm enjoying DCs current offerings more. And more of my favorite authors are there, Bendis, Morrison and now Waid.

#2177 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 March 2022 - 06:56 AM

Its 3am and I'm multiple hours into a marathon of the INJUSTICE series.
Great comics, bad sleep habits.

#2178 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 07 April 2022 - 08:28 PM

Huge Terry Moore bundle on Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebu...udios-tbc-books

Looks like maybe all of his stuff for only $30. Echo is a great series; I own The Complete Echo in a giant paperback omnibus edition. And his magnum opus, Strangers In Paradise, is amazing (still need to finish reading it, as I already own all of them in ebook--and most of them in paperback.)

Sad that the bundle is PDF-only (I'd prefer CBZs) but at least the quality on the PDFs is really good (I grabbed the $1 tier first to test), and the CBZ reader on my tablet can handle them.

#2179 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 April 2022 - 02:34 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 07 April 2022 - 08:28 PM, said:

Huge Terry Moore bundle on Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebu...udios-tbc-books

Looks like maybe all of his stuff for only $30. Echo is a great series; I own The Complete Echo in a giant paperback omnibus edition. And his magnum opus, Strangers In Paradise, is amazing (still need to finish reading it, as I already own all of them in ebook--and most of them in paperback.)

Sad that the bundle is PDF-only (I'd prefer CBZs) but at least the quality on the PDFs is really good (I grabbed the $1 tier first to test), and the CBZ reader on my tablet can handle them.

I logged on right now specifically to ask whether anyone would reco this Bundle, so tnx!

#2180 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 April 2022 - 05:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 April 2022 - 02:34 AM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 07 April 2022 - 08:28 PM, said:

I logged on right now specifically to ask whether anyone would reco this Bundle, so tnx!

The next Bundle is an Image Comics retro bundle that includes, among other things, the entire SAVAGE DRAGON series, the three SHADOWHAWK LS', a pile of SPAWN, DARKNESS and WITCHBLADE.... (ymmv).
Am tempted for the Dragon, have always wanted to read the whole thing. The rest suffer somewhat from 90s edgy fanboy trap syndrome.

Share this topic:

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users