Malazan Empire: The Comics Thread! - Malazan Empire

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Comics Thread! SLAM! WHAM! KA-BOOM! KER-SPLODE!!!

#2121 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:22 PM

For the low, low price of 399.99 USD you can own an 82 inch tall Galactus action figure.

https://geektyrant.c...gure-for-haslab

Kid me would have fucking exploded if I saw that thing next to my GI Joes.

Attached File  HASLAB+MARVEL+LEGENDS+GALACTUS+(1).jpg (90.78K)
Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  HASLAB+MARVEL+LEGENDS+GALACTUS+(18).jpg (41.66K)

Attached File  HASLAB+MARVEL+LEGENDS+GALACTUS+(21).jpg (42.33K)

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 20 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

#2122 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:31 PM

I saw this. The HasLabs stuff is GORGEOUS...also, love the Mini-Reed that comes with him.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2123 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:47 PM

Apropos any of you guys seen the Toy Galaxy youtube channel? They do retrospectives of popular toys, cartoons and 70-80-90s pop culture. As a kid in Denmark, the ridiculous amount of toys that never made it to Scandinavia is incredible. Just the story of why GI Joe is called Action Force in Europe is stupidly convoluted.

#2124 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:14 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 July 2021 - 12:31 PM, said:

I saw this. The HasLabs stuff is GORGEOUS...also, love the Mini-Reed that comes with him.

That's not a mini-Reed, that's the normal 6" Legends figure! (Galactus is almost 3 feet tall.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#2125 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:31 AM

Attached File  tss62doxrgc71.jpg (152.04K)

#2126 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:01 PM

Getting back into reading Marvel comics.

Been seing a lot of Moon Knight memes on Reddit, so decided to start with Moon Knight's 2014 run with Warren Ellis at the Helm. This is great. This is batman with all his tech, if Batman was insane and ressurected by an Egyptian death god and if Batman enjoyed hurting people a lot. Unfortunately after a while Ellis leaves and the writers make the mistake of trying to get cute about making Moon Knight doubt himself and being vulnerable, where the start works because it's just minimalist story telling with great art and dark violence. When they did a 5 issue run in 2016 about "The hero is in a mental institution and the baddies are making him think it was all a dream" I nearly threw up over my tablet and lost interest in reading more Moon Knight.

Read the latest Immortal Hulk issues - This shit is so good. Why isn't there a new issue every day so I can OD on this weird awesomeness. One criticism I am developing is that every 10 issues they seem to be doing an "Oh noes, the hulk lost his powers, how will he survive" arc and this is getting old now. HULK IS THE STRONGEST THERE IS! APT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR CHEAP WRITERS TRICKS MAKING HULK LOOK PUNY!

I'm thinking of reading through the King in Black event but the reading order suggestion in the Marvel app is really weird, or the way they published this is all fucked. Tried looking up suggested reading orders but these seem insane as well. Either they want you to read 10 issues of one obscure heroes comic in 2020 and then 1 comic 2018 and then 5 in 2021, etc. or it's just a straight list that doesn't help to plot out what events happen in what order. I am not reading 10 issues of Black Cat for some tangental storyline lossely related to Knull. Surely Marvel can do better than this.

#2127 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:13 PM

Alright, so after complaining to myself a bit, I started reading everything that works as a prelude to the King in Black event.

Some of this is really good. Some of this is so mediocre, no wonder comics don't sell.

One that really stood out to me is the Silver Surfer: Black 5 issue mini-series. The artwork in this comic is beautiful, it's psychedelic and colorful. Reminds me of Warlock comics from the Jim Sterling era.

I've also got to say I find Knull's design and back story... bad? Just confusingly cartoonishly evil. He's basically the villain of a saturday morning cartoon. Like he could be the big bad in Jace and the Wheeled Warriors no problem. His design is what a child would find menacing or powerful.

Mind you I've always hated these big cosmic events so I was bound to hate him.

#2128 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:57 AM

Ellis' MOON KNIGHT run was brilliant. What happened next was the opposite of that.

KING IN BLACK was hot garbage and i do not understand why Marvel editorial thinks Venom, Carnage and their offspring should be front n center because they sell meh and are cancelled again and again. The entire event was 'new bad guy shows up, beats some heroes a little, beats some heroes a lot, is beaten'. So so weak and yet another reason why the all titles crossover event is an overused outdated notion. I haven't read the X-Men Hellfire Gala crossover yet, but am hearing positive buzz and follow-up buzz that they want to make it a ... wait for it... waaaaaiiiiiitttt foooor itttttt... an annual event. I give it six months before we get a Guardian Gala, Fantastic Formal, Avengers Lawn Party and the Champions will throw a brunch or something. Three months later DC will start.

The key to reading any 'event' in the MU app is to be prepared to just skip any title that bores you without concern that you're missing something important. You're not.

That said, people on comicstwitter rave about BLACK CAT lately.

Moi, having just finished a re-read of HOX/POX, and now into the DAWN OF X phase, X-MEN book. Have to admit i was skeptical about Kid Cable but they sell him well enough, albeit part of that is making him look like an idiot. The entire Jean/Logan/Scott/Emma dynamic is hysterical.
ProfX's big shiny helmet is alternately sinister looking and silly. Fabulous Sinister is glorious. Overall this is a fun read so far even if the XMen just got their butts kicked by a bunch of Octogenarian horticulturalists. I like the concept of Krakoa, the politicking, the fundamental (if probably temporary) reset of the xbooks to a new setting and missions and focus and tone and making bigger and better use of the wide wide cast of characters they have to work with. Hickman did this right.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2129 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:45 PM

Agree on Ellis' Moon Knight, it was very good. Did not read past that.

Currently reading the last volume of Morrison's Green Lantern, loving it especially Sharp's art. It's a bit polarizing, so YMMV. It's on Hoopla, it's worth a shot if you have that.

Also, really enjoyed vol 2 of Bendis' Legion run. Looking forward to his JL run once it gets to a trade.

#2130 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 August 2021 - 05:07 AM

View PostAbyss, on 27 July 2021 - 03:57 AM, said:

...., and now into the DAWN OF X phase, ... I like the concept of Krakoa, the politicking, the fundamental (if probably temporary) reset of the xbooks to a new setting and missions and focus and tone and making bigger and better use of the wide wide cast of characters they have to work with. Hickman did this right.

And now, MARAUDERS...

CALLISTO: Goddess. *throws knife at Storm's face*
STORM: Morlock. *catches the knife, hands it back*
*they hug*

....OH XMEN I HAVE MISSED YOU SO SO MUCH.

#2131 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 August 2021 - 11:27 AM

Attached File  p4359zoxlwg71.jpg (124.29K)

#2132 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 August 2021 - 04:24 AM

View PostAbyss, on 04 August 2021 - 05:07 AM, said:

...., and now into the DAWN OF X phase, ... I like the concept of Krakoa, the politicking, the fundamental (if probably temporary) reset of the xbooks to a new setting and missions and focus and tone and making bigger and better use of the wide wide cast of characters they have to work with. Hickman did this right.

And now, MARAUDERS...

*they hug*

And now.... EXCALIBUR... Capn Psylocke Britain, Rogue, Gambit, Rictor, Wisdom, Jubilee.. and apparently Jubilee's adopted baby Shogo... on... magic-related missions for Apocalypse. Or... something?

*reads six issues*

...more like MEHXCALIBUR. Weak/vague plot, random character and story shifts, the Otherworld setting is poorly explained, why is Apocalypse invading and why are the Xmen just going along with it?
Individual character moments are fun... Rogue actively encouraging Gambit to steal things, Jubilee going full 'splody Wolverine on enemies who threaten her kid, Rictor getting more development in six issues than the last sixteen years... but overall... meh, and not adding much of interest to the overall Hickman Krakoa era.
There were the kernels of a good comic here, but... meh.

Then... NEW MUTANTS.

AH... muuuUUUUUuuuuuch better. Even at a complete and utter aside of the Krakoa storyline, the NMs venturing off into space w the Starjammers because they miss Cannonball is just great. Characters are nicely updated, the addition of Chamber and Mondo are well handled... Sunspot keeps his personality upgrades from Avengers, Magik keeps hers from various X titles where she's gone full demonic sorceress swordmaster team leader (an aside, but i LOVE what they've done w Illayana since she Phoenixed out). The history these characters have together is very present but far from dominating the story.

#2133 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 August 2021 - 03:07 AM

View PostAbyss, on 13 August 2021 - 04:24 AM, said:

And now, MARAUDERS...

*they hug*

And now.... EXCALIBUR... Capn Psylocke Britain, Rogue, Gambit, Rictor, Wisdom, Jubilee.. and apparently Jubilee's adopted baby Shogo... on... magic-related missions for Apocalypse. Or... something?

*reads six issues*

...more like MEHXCALIBUR. ...

Then... NEW MUTANTS.

AH... muuuUUUUUuuuuuch better. ...

Onwards...

X-FORCE... very nice take on this concept. I like the idea of an intel team and a stabby team, and the cast is nicely mixed up even w the mandatory Wolverine. Quentin Quire is a good addition. Having him die all the time is a nice touch. Great Domino and Beast development. Beast esp... holy mutationballs, he is going daaaAAAAaaark.

FALLEN ANGELS... out the outset, a team consisting of Kwannon/Psylocke, Laura Wolverine, and Kid Cable seems like a thin attempt at X-Force 2.0. Thankfully they went elsewhere w this. The decsiion to focus on Psylocke Kwannon and make her an entirely new character, familiar because of the history, but not the same, was smart. I enjoyed this far more than i expected to. Laura and Psylocke played off eah other very wel. The overarching plot - tech based AI virsu thing wants to take over stuff - was utterly unoriginal for xbooks, but the characters sold it. They finally drew a line between Betsy Braddock and Kwannon that made sense, and had Laura form a mentor relationship w someone who wasn't Logan or Cyclops. Also, Magneto and SInister, while barely appearing in the run, utterly shine when they do. Fun read all around.

#2134 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the X-Men impressions Abyss. A lot of what you've mentioned is in the X of Swords omnibus that's on Hoopla. I've been hesitant since it's 700 pages. I might have to take the plunge. I've read and enjoyed Hickman's run.

#2135 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 18 August 2021 - 03:20 PM

Hickman's leaving X-Men (though not Marvel) after Inferno: https://ew.com/books...st-x-men-comic/

Seems everyone wants to explore his Phase One more instead of moving on to Phase Two.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#2136 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 August 2021 - 11:17 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 18 August 2021 - 03:20 PM, said:

Hickman's leaving X-Men (though not Marvel) after Inferno: https://ew.com/books...st-x-men-comic/

Seems everyone wants to explore his Phase One more instead of moving on to Phase Two.

Gossip re why this is happening vary from sales aren't what they want them to be, to they want him to work his magic on something else.

Me, i want DC to steal him away and give him the Legion. Otherwise, i dunno, he's done FF, Avengers and now Xmen. What's left....? ...Spidey, 'street', Guardians/cosmic, and maybe the magic side of things.

#2137 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 07 October 2021 - 06:22 AM

Finally read the whole House of X/Powers of X thing that sets all this up. Good refocusing of the X-Men I'd say- was long getting past the point where using mutants as a metaphor for real-world discriminations wasn't really viable, so moving that in this way- and also making this the foundational X-Men event rather than Charles and Eric's youth means at some point they can simply move away from the knotty problem of Eric needing to be a holocaust survivor for his story to work while comics time moves on and it becomes increasingly implausible.

Also just a damn good yarn, of course. As per for Hickman.

On the other hand, all the machine-intelligence stuff in the far future story seemed to be set-up for stuff that has nothing to do with the X-Men. Just him adding new cosmic players into Marvel that don't really seem to make sense. Cool, like, but how do they fit?
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#2138 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 07 October 2021 - 03:06 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 07 October 2021 - 06:22 AM, said:

On the other hand, all the machine-intelligence stuff in the far future story seemed to be set-up for stuff that has nothing to do with the X-Men. Just him adding new cosmic players into Marvel that don't really seem to make sense. Cool, like, but how do they fit?

But that all has its foundations in the previously-established Phalanx/Technarchy stuff, doesn't it?

I've recently been reading basically all of the X-23 stuff I own (including her X-Force run) in order, and man I love Laura Kinney. (I passed on the Nyx collection last time it was on sale, though, which I now regret.) The highlight is of course Tom Taylor's "All-New Wolverine" which I'd read before, which is fine because it's absolutely marvelous. (Gabby + Deadpool is amazing.) Right now I'm in the middle of Tamaki's run, and I'm a little pissed that everyone's calling her "X-23" again, like wasn't the entire point of Taylor's series her moving beyond that name?

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 07 October 2021 - 03:11 PM

#2139 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:32 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 August 2021 - 03:07 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 13 August 2021 - 04:24 AM, said:

And now, MARAUDERS...

*they hug*

*reads six issues*

...more like MEHXCALIBUR. ...

Then... NEW MUTANTS.

AH... muuuUUUUUuuuuuch better. ...

Onwards...

....adding that Sunspot hitting on Deathbird is far funnier than it has any right to be.

X-FORCE... very nice take on this concept. I like the idea of an intel team and a stabby team, and the cast is nicely mixed up even w the mandatory Wolverine. Quentin Quire is a good addition. Having him die all the time is a nice touch. Great Domino and Beast development. Beast esp... holy mutationballs, he is going daaaAAAAaaark.

FALLEN ANGELS... out the outset, a team consisting of Kwannon/Psylocke, Laura Wolverine, and Kid Cable seems like a thin attempt at X-Force 2.0. Thankfully they went elsewhere w this. The decsiion to focus on Psylocke Kwannon and make her an entirely new character, familiar because of the history, but not the same, was smart. I enjoyed this far more than i expected to. Laura and Psylocke played off eah other very wel. The overarching plot - tech based AI virsu thing wants to take over stuff - was utterly unoriginal for xbooks, but the characters sold it. They finally drew a line between Betsy Braddock and Kwannon that made sense, and had Laura form a mentor relationship w someone who wasn't Logan or Cyclops. Also, Magneto and SInister, while barely appearing in the run, utterly shine when they do. Fun read all around.

CABLE.... ok wow i did not expect to like this character but they made him fallible, likeable, and readable. Amazing what this team managed to do with what could have been a mess of a time travelling continuity crossing aged up and down concept.

X-MEN. Great. Just, plain, great comics done great. Advances the uber storyline and some fun detours

WOLVERINE. Hunts vampires. Good art, fun action, story is nothing special. Had i been collecting floppies i would have dropped this. As a part of a larger story on the app, it's fine. Omega Red as a possible antihero was a nice twist at least.

HELLIONS. Oh dear god where has this comic been all my life this glorious glorious utter lunacy. FFS the cast includes three known mass murderers (Scalphunter, Nanny and Orphan Maker) and fncking Empath, the team WORKS for Sinister, Alex is losing his shlt, Wildchild has utterly lost his already, Kwannon is back but has divided loyalties ... this is xbooks on meth with a side of crack and it is beautiful.

View PostT77, on 18 August 2021 - 01:04 PM, said:

Thanks for the X-Men impressions Abyss. A lot of what you've mentioned is in the X of Swords omnibus that's on Hoopla. I've been hesitant since it's 700 pages. I might have to take the plunge. I've read and enjoyed Hickman's run.

Just finished X OF SWORDS, more to come on that. I would take the time to read the 'DAWN OF X' stuff between HOX/POX and SWORDS, but SWORDS was good fun for the most part.

Finally read the whole House of X/Powers of X thing that sets all this up. Good refocusing of the X-Men I'd say- was long getting past the point where using mutants as a metaphor for real-world discriminations wasn't really viable, so moving that in this way- and also making this the foundational X-Men event rather than Charles and Eric's youth means at some point they can simply move away from the knotty problem of Eric needing to be a holocaust survivor for his story to work while comics time moves on and it becomes increasingly implausible.

Also just a damn good yarn, of course. As per for Hickman.

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 07 October 2021 - 03:06 PM, said:

But that all has its foundations in the previously-established Phalanx/Technarchy stuff, doesn't it?

It does, as well as the Nimrod plotline, Doug/Warlock, Magick/Limbo, and the entire Moira X thing Hickman has laid out.

I've recently been reading basically all of the X-23 stuff I own (including her X-Force run) in order, and man I love Laura Kinney. (I passed on the Nyx collection last time it was on sale, though, which I now regret.) The highlight is of course Tom Taylor's "All-New Wolverine" which I'd read before, which is fine because it's absolutely marvelous. (Gabby + Deadpool is amazing.) Right now I'm in the middle of Tamaki's run, and I'm a little pissed that everyone's calling her "X-23" again, like wasn't the entire point of Taylor's series her moving beyond that name?

I adored every X-23 run i have read. The teams who have been writing Laura (and Gabby) so clearly love the character and the opportunities for storytelling she brings.
Amazing to think she started out in a Saturday morning cartoon and an LS nobody read.

#2140 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:53 PM

X-FACTOR... i am horrible for not mentioning X-factor because it is so so damn great. Utterly eclectic cast... Northstar, Polaris, Prodigy, Eye-boy, Daken, Rachel GreySummersPhoenixPrestigeHoundWheeeee team responsible for investigating/confirming mutant deaths. It is just so good. The dialogue is poignant and funny and informative, the interpersonal stuff is gold, the cases are interesting, low action and i don't care because every panel is a treat.

Tommy (Scarlet Witch's son, visiting) - "...what's your top velocity? Mine's 761 miles per hour."
Northstar - "189,299 miles per second."

FFS... they're making Eye-boy interesting, dangerous even. EYE-BOY!
Nice touch is the point that he, Rachel, Daken, and Prodigy are all mutants whose powers make them scary effective lie detectors.... and in the most HOUSE of traditons, 'everybody lies'. It's great.... i can't pretend it doesn't benefit (arguably by necessity) from being part of the Hickman/Krakoa era, but even if you're not an xbooks fan, worth a look.

Share this topic:

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users