Malazan Empire: The Comics Thread! - Malazan Empire

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Comics Thread! SLAM! WHAM! KA-BOOM! KER-SPLODE!!!

#2101 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:36 PM

FYI, basically all Black Panther comics (individual issues, not the collections) are FREE RIGHT NOW on Comixology. No indication how long this will last, so move quickly!
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#2102 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 September 2020 - 02:45 AM

People.

THE SANDMAN audible full cast audio adaptation earbook... it's absofuckinglutely amazeballs.

Seriously. You know how you read something great and wish you could read it again for the first time?

It's that, for the comics. Three chapters in and I am blown.
the fuck.
away.

If you read and loved those comics, you need to listen to this.
If you have not read and loved those comics, I am judging you. Harshly.
And you need to listen to this, but maybe read the comics first.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2103 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:48 PM

crossposting from cheap thread because COMICS!

View PostAbyss, on 06 October 2020 - 03:48 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 06 October 2020 - 03:06 AM, said:

Don't know if this has been posted here but there's a The Boys Humble Bundle sale.

https://www.humblebu...wers_bookbundle

There's also a Gillen / McKelvie bundle that includes the complete THE WICKED& THE DIVINE series with an excess of extras.

#2104 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:06 AM

View PostT77, on 23 August 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

OK, I finished the fantasy comic I mentioned above. I picked this up during a Comixology sale a while ago, and was hesitant to read it as the premise didn't seem that great. But, as this guy is one of my favorite comic book writers, I had to read it. The comic is Joe the Barbarian by Grant Morrison, and it was incredible. Everything about it was great. I think this does edge out Coda for best fantasy comic. This might even be Morrison's best work. Right up there with Doom Patrol.

Just Finished.
It was solid reco T77, thx.
It IS good. It doesnt displace CODA for me. Or SEVEN FOR ETERNITY or BIRTHRIGHT for that matter.
The art is lovely and loaded with Easter Eggs, the pace is good. My complaint is that it relies on a trope I genuinely dislike... not a spoiler, it's in every blurb... that the whole thing is a hallucination in the protagonist's head as he gets close to death... and with one exception, the story never prompts me to even consider that maybe this is 'real'. The one exception was exceptionally well done, but it almost weakens the rest of the book in how it is just so much shinier. Morrison can be over the top, I was wishing he did so a little more here.

#2105 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:54 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 October 2020 - 06:06 AM, said:

View PostT77, on 23 August 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

OK, I finished the fantasy comic I mentioned above. I picked this up during a Comixology sale a while ago, and was hesitant to read it as the premise didn't seem that great. But, as this guy is one of my favorite comic book writers, I had to read it. The comic is Joe the Barbarian by Grant Morrison, and it was incredible. Everything about it was great. I think this does edge out Coda for best fantasy comic. This might even be Morrison's best work. Right up there with Doom Patrol.

Just Finished.
It was solid reco T77, thx.
It IS good. It doesnt displace CODA for me. Or SEVEN FOR ETERNITY or BIRTHRIGHT for that matter.
The art is lovely and loaded with Easter Eggs, the pace is good. My complaint is that it relies on a trope I genuinely dislike... not a spoiler, it's in every blurb... that the whole thing is a hallucination in the protagonist's head as he gets close to death... and with one exception, the story never prompts me to even consider that maybe this is 'real'. The one exception was exceptionally well done, but it almost weakens the rest of the book in how it is just so much shinier. Morrison can be over the top, I was wishing he did so a little more here.

Glad you liked it. And I totally agree with you. I picked this up on a Comixology sale years ago and couldn't bring myself to read it as I didn't care for the premise. But, since I am a huge Morrison fan and I've seen very high praise for this I decided it was time to read it. I agree about the art and some of the scenes and ideas were just incredible. Now that I've had a bit of time to think about it, I would say it's about on par with Coda.

#2106 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:50 PM

Abyss and I recently raved about Suppier's Coda. I've been hearing great things about his current, albeit cancelled, Hellblazer run. It just went on Hoopla, so I read it. I liked it, but not as much as most others seem to. My recommendation is if you can get it from your library or on sale, it's worth your time. But, I am in the minority, so YMMV. I believe there's at least one more volume and I do plan on reading it when it's on Hoopla.

#2107 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 February 2021 - 07:52 PM

Godse am behind on literally every thread i started or usually frolic in... i blame the pandemic. Also, Canadian winter. And yetis. Cyborg, ninja yetis.
From spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

Anyways...

ALIENS/PREDATOR/AvP/PROMETHEUS - FIRE AND STONE / LIFE AND DEATH - i am astounded at how well Dark Horse handled these linked crossovers. Historically this sort of thing varied wildly in quality and usuall had a couple of parts that were barely connected and just thrown in to pad out the set and grab a few more dollars from completists. Not this. The multiple parts are well planned, the story flows logically (if sometimes simplistically) from property to property... humans encounter aliens, that brings them to the attention of the predators, the predators and the aliens clash, the Engineers emerge from the background... it works. Characters flow through the stories and if a few suddenly jump to the forefront just in time to die spectacularly, well, hey, it's Aliens. Worth a read if you're a fan. A nice coda to the Dark Horse era of these as they slide on over to Disney and start hunting the Avengers or something.

DAREDEVIL - paused mid Miller's run but this is superior comics. I admit at times the way Miller draws woman throws me out because i know more than i ever wanted to about what a mess of a person he became, but as a re/defining run on a classic character, this is amazing stuff.

SHOGUN WARRIORS - I managed to find an old old omnibus and have been reading. It's nostalgic big robot v monster comic action, but a LOT of fun. It's aged, but aged well. I can't help it... Combatra, Dangard Ace, and Raideen will always hold a special place in my inner child's geeky heart. Too bad they never got that throwdown with Godzilla.

A TOWN CALLED DRAGON - every once in a while i read a comic and inwardly groan at the obvious Hollywood baityness of it. The characters look like known actors, the action beats and storyconstruction are obviously set to film timing (ie" three 'acts' in a five part series), the lines are soundbite heavy. But sometimes the creative team nails it so well i don't care. This is one of those times. Winick and Shaw and co did a stupidly great job with this series.It reads like a Big Hollywood movie in the bestest silliest ways. There is a tpurist trap of a town in the middle of nowhere USA. It's called 'Dragon'.Everything is dragon themed. Guess what shows up one day? Yes, that's right, a manticore. I lie it's a dragon. The whole set up is done well, the characters are archetypes you know instantly, you see exactly where the story is going from the start but it's so much fun to look at and read that I don't care. Fuckit, a bunch of misfits and rejects are going to fight a dragon and I'm there for it. Don't expect SAGA or SEVEN TO ETERNITY... this is not raising the medium, but it is having fun in it.

#2108 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:17 PM

The Amazon fairy brought me The Metabarons: Second Cycle today. So 300+ more pages of mindblowingly hilarious Jodorowsky-flavoured insanity is on the cards for me. On that topic, I was unaware until a few days ago that Juan Gimenez, the artist on the first Metabarons sequence, died last year.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#2109 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 13 March 2021 - 01:49 PM

I've been reading a whole bumch of stuff, but most noteworthy is the Mignolaverse. I'm only reading Hellboy/B.P.R.D. now, and will circle back for the rest. This is so good, comics at its best! I love the overall plot throughout, the characters and even the art. Some artists are better than others, but even the not so good art really fits the material. It's hard for me to put this stuff down every night. So glad they're still pumping out stuff.

#2110 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:03 PM

Whoa DC..... gettin CRAZY there....

#2111 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:36 AM

View PostAbyss, on 31 March 2021 - 07:03 PM, said:

Whoa DC..... gettin CRAZY there....

...ok, wow, that got ugly.
Short version, among the many titles, some of them intriguing (Zatanna!) was something called 'JLQ'... Justice League Queer. They said near nothing about it but the title. Then they set it against 'Robins' in the first round of the match and naturally it got clobbered because Batbooks... even before the c0micsg@te slime got in on the voting because comics should not represent anyone but racist misogynists.

But here's the thing.... other than Robins, JLQ doubled the next closest vote getter's score. The one book that was contentious, was set up to lose, destroyed all the other books. The outcry is... impressive. Am curious to see whether DC bends.

#2112 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:31 PM

Reading DARK KNIGHT RETURNS by Frank Miller. I read it about 15 years ago and man it's a great story, reminds me of Kingdom Come which is my favourite graphic novel possibly ever.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2113 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 08 May 2021 - 08:23 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 May 2021 - 07:31 PM, said:

Reading DARK KNIGHT RETURNS by Frank Miller. I read it about 15 years ago and man it's a great story, reminds me of Kingdom Come which is my favourite graphic novel possibly ever.

I just wish the sequels had proven to be of similar quality.

#2114 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 08 May 2021 - 08:40 PM

Sequels? I got the omnibus 30 year anniversary edition which has all 4 stories or the complete story as far as I understand it...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2115 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:33 PM

I'd have to look at the Omni, but there are 5 stories that are involved in that universe.

1-The Dark Knight: The Last Crusade (prequel)
2- The Dark Knight Returns
3- The Dark Knight Strikes Again
4- The Dark Knight III: The Master Race
5- The Dark Knight: The Golden Child.

I personally found The Dark Knight Returns to be the best of the lot by far.

#2116 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:01 AM

DKR remains among my top five comics ever.

DKSA is the complete and utter opposite of that and the reason i never bothered with the next two.

It was the moment for me that Frank Miller ceased to be one of the greats and started to be a cranky old racist misogynist yelling at the kids to gtf off his LAN.

#2117 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:03 AM

I think it's just Returns in this book that I got.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2118 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:54 AM

I understand All-Star Batman and Robin was meant to tie into that universe too, though it was also semi-officially a sequel to Batman Year One which made no sense. In any case the characterisation of Dick Grayson, Wonder Woman and Supes himself were meant to set up some turns in TDKR and particularly TDKSA.

ASBaR is fucking hilarious by the way. I never understood people reacting as if Miller was trying to write a serious badass story and had just lost it so hard he couldn't- he was clearly taking the piss throughout, and doesn't to me appear to be intending his Batman to be an admirable figure at all. It's definitely the best book Miller has written in his latter career- that I've read anyway- though for some reason I don't actually hate TDKSA anyway.

It would be dreadful if we were meant to take it seriously as a main-continuity Bat-story but as an alt-universe piss-take skew on what a millionaire vigilante who takes in orphaned children to make them fight crime with him might actually be like it's funny as shit.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#2119 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:06 PM

I tend to not find the works of a clearly racist and misogynistic writer to be funny especially when his public statements are mostly along the lines of "I actually believe this stuff".
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2120 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:08 PM

View Postamphibian, on 09 May 2021 - 05:06 PM, said:

I tend to not find the works of a clearly racist and misogynistic writer to be funny especially when his public statements are mostly along the lines of "I actually believe this stuff".

I mean I don't buy Millar books anymore for a reason (I didn't know that when it came out, I hadn't been paying attention to him), but him being racist and sexist doesn't taint everything he writes by osmosis. There's nothing racist about All-Star and while you could make a very strong case that its depiction of Gurl Powerrr are stupid and not very helpful, and also that its pictures of Vikki Vale in her underwear for no reason are not feminist, neither of those things is egregious.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users