Malazan Empire: The Comics Thread! - Malazan Empire

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Comics Thread! SLAM! WHAM! KA-BOOM! KER-SPLODE!!!

#1841 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

Good to hear Abyss. Looking forward to it now.

Still working my way through Promethea and it continues to be brilliant. The 11 O'clock comics podcast recommended the fantasy comic Coda. It's on Hoopla and Promethea has me craving more fantasy comics, so I borrowed it.

#1842 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:59 PM

Im in full blown Spider-man mania!

Just finished the ps4 game on Saturday and have watched all the movies since then! The 2002 trilogy, the Garfield trilogy and homecoming. Spider-Man is certainly one of the most iconic super heroes. My nephew, who is 2 saw me playing Spider-Man the other day, pointed at the screen and said Spider-Man fighting! He has not to mine or my sisters knowledge seen a TV show or movie about Spider-Man but someone he is familiar enough with Spider-Man to recognize him on screen instantly. For me it amazes me the details I can still recall of the show from 1994? I was 8!

Which gets me to my point. What are the best Spider-Man comics to read. I am having quite the nostalgic moment,

#1843 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 October 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

View PostT77, on 19 October 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

@Abyss. Horizon is on Hoopla, and now it's on my list. Thanks for the reco.

Most welcome. I'm enjoying it. Am at ish 10 and it just flat out took me wholly by surprise. Twice. I do so love when a story does that.

Ish 12 just did it again. DaaaaAAAAAaaaaaamn.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1844 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:49 PM

Paused HORIZON at a natural stop point post #12 just for a change in pace.

I have to admit i was wildly sceptical about Marvel's OLD MAN LOGAN. The entire concept... 'hey we temporarily killed Wolverine in a mostly mediocre seventeen issue crossover thing, let's bring an alternate universe Wolverine over to fill time til we bring the original Logan back' ...just reeked of Big Comics badiousity.

But i did enjoy the original OLD MAN LOGAN LS, and the brief appearance in NEW WOLVERINE opposite Laura and Gabby wasn't bad, so i gave it a shot. Nice surprise, they managed to do it right for the most part. A few hirrble filler issues, but the longer arcs were suitably bloody and didn't just depict the character as 'Wolverine but older looking'. They manage to keep him as a distinct character... definitely Logan, but older, more beaten, a little desperate to change the past and a little hopeful at having the chance to see dead friends again. Yes, they do the 'healing factor not as good as it used to be' thing, which was old back in the 90s, but the character gets sufficiently pummeled that it works.

On the ALIENS mega-bundle read, the books were starting to devolve into self-parody and i was down to skimming (KIDNAPPED and LOVESTRUCK were just awful satire pieces), but the last few, LABYRINTH and STRIKEFORCE, have picked up the quality of story nicely. It's tricky because the aliens themselves are not 'characters', just nasty invasive killing machines, so the story has to evolve around them but not just rehash the same old 'Weyland Yutani does bad stuff, people/marines die, shoot stuff, max. two characters survive' plot. And i enjoy how characters keep coming up with new and inventive ways to control, kill, or exploit the aliens and while it's never a surprise when things go sideways and the dying starts, it's usually 'fun'.

#1845 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:39 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 October 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 23 October 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

View PostT77, on 19 October 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

@Abyss. Horizon is on Hoopla, and now it's on my list. Thanks for the reco.

Most welcome. I'm enjoying it. Am at ish 10 and it just flat out took me wholly by surprise. Twice. I do so love when a story does that.

Ish 12 just did it again. DaaaaAAAAAaaaaaamn.

View PostAbyss, on 31 October 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

Paused HORIZON at a natural stop point post #12 just for a change in pace.

Back in, blasted thru issues 13-18.... loving it.... more great twists.... and then the series ended.

Not 'got to a natural story end and wrapped', but cancelled, buh-bye, sorry sales weren't what they needed to be.

Writer/artist managed to at least close out the chapter, more or less, so the last tpb was complete to 'an' end, but most definitely not The End.

Fuck.

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

...still worth reading, but be warned..... no utter cliffhangers, but no closure.

Tried something called 'EPILOGUE' by Steve '30 DAYS OF NIGHT' Niles.

Meh.Trite vampire-as-urban-hero story. Artist does some odd proportions and appears to only draw one female face/body for all female characters.

#1846 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:11 PM

Late to the party again, but Warren Ellis' The Wild Storm is just so damn good. Pure, distilled Ellis, with beautifully crisp, clean art.

And also Injection.... What the actual fuck?! How the hell is that so good? It's like he wrote it for me... Get out of my head, Ellis!!

As an aside, it seems quite likely that Ellis read some of the same books I have; the CCCU are very obviously based on these guys, I mean, even the abbreviation is pretty similar. Also, I'm pretty sure one of the characters essentially outright attempts to explain ()hole complex from Reza Nagarestani's batshit insane Cyclonopedia: Complicity With Anonymous Materials.... so yeah...

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 15 November 2018 - 10:59 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#1847 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

I may be the only person who reads ONE PIECE manga in digital form, but Comixology has a sale (ends today) on the entirety of ONE PIECE books, ($5 a book). So stock up if that's how you're reading it. I grabbed 8 volumes for $40. Can't really beat that when they are about $10-12 in stores each.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1848 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:06 PM

Uncanny X-Force has gotten a lot of praise here, and they're all on sale on Comixology until Thanksgiving: https://www.comixolo...id=27475&lang=1
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1849 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:13 PM

Finished out the ALIENS meg-bundle with ALIENS: DEFIANCE, written by Brian Wood, art by a few people but consistently solid and complimentary. 12 issue LS... pretty damn great. I really enjoyed my ALIENS marathon-read, and while a lot of the collections were mediocre, predictable, and at times outright bad, most were properly moody and captured the feeling i wanted from an ALIENS book... the shitty corporate dominated future, the few brave souls just trying to survive, the xenomorphs as near unstoppable but never invincible killing machines. DEFIANCE just ended the marathon on the right note. Zula, a badass Colonial Marine sidelined by injury, and Davis, a damaged but self-improving synthetic, find themselves in a damaged spaceship, following a trail of Alien-infected ships and bases around the edges of the galaxy. It's set just after the ALIENS movie, and functions entirely standalone or as an effective prequel to the various Earth-infection stories that were written in earlier years. It's by far the best in the mega-bundle and leaves me seriously considering buying more of Dark Horse's work with this property.

My praise and love for Hickman's comics work is extensive and loud. His SECRET WARRIORS is pure comics candy. His F4/FF run is the stuff of legend, his Avengers work leading into Secret War exceeds that. I would decant EAST OF WEST into liquid form and inject it if that were workable.

His 2011 four issue LS RED WING does not measure up, imnsho. Clever time travel war concept lost in mediocre plotting and art that either fails to convey the point or else creates a point that has nothing to do with the story. Meh.

Thusly disappointed i started a 2008 LS he wrote called TRANSHUMAN. Disliked the art, bailed.

#1850 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:24 PM

Did you ever read his debut, The Nightly News? Doesn't bear much relation to his later work but it's good, very unusual, and probably more relevant now than when it came out 12 years ago.

Red Mass for Mars is also worth a look, it's a slight story but entertaining and the art is incredible.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1851 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 20 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 November 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

I may be the only person who reads ONE PIECE manga in digital form, but Comixology has a sale (ends today) on the entirety of ONE PIECE books, ($5 a book). So stock up if that's how you're reading it. I grabbed 8 volumes for $40. Can't really beat that when they are about $10-12 in stores each.

I'm reading vol 1 and I'm finding it a bit meh and juvenile. Does it get better? I know how highly praised this is, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

#1852 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:47 PM

DINOSAURS VS ALIENS GN.... great concept, strong start, glorious art.... Morrison and Sonnerfeld clearly intended this to be a longer thing and never went the distance. Unfortunate. Some of the action is a bit jumbled and unclear but overall very nice to look at. The story... alien refugees arrive on dino-era Earth, where dinosaurs are more intelligent than we think they were (caveman level, more or less). Aliens piss off the wrong T-rex... violence and hilarity ensues.
The reader essentially gets an intro, what amounts to more or less the first clash between the somewhat intelligent dinos and the fairly human'ish/octo/insect aliens, then it ends. Worth a look but not the money for what is in essence the intro to a longer story that will never be completed.

#1853 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:10 PM

View PostT77, on 20 November 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 November 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

I'm reading vol 1 and I'm finding it a bit meh and juvenile. Does it get better? I know how highly praised this is, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

It very much starts out that way, manga AND anime....there is a LOT of table setting...and you won't really see glimmers of the good stuff till they begin exploring the back stories of the Straw Hats. That's when it took off for me. They dip into everyone's past a bit, but it was the Arlong Arc (Nami's past) that hit me like a tonne of bricks where I realized I was watching/reading something special.

The good thing is that the Straw Hats on their own are very entertaining from story to story....like I can't get enough of Luffy being ridiculous and OTT, for example.

There are spots on the internet that can inform you of what arcs are worth it, and what you can skip as filler. Notably the filler is more present in the Anime, so you're already avoiding that by reading the manga.

But yes, expect the first few volumes to be a tad meh as they build things up and just enjoy the interactions between characters. But once they get into the Grand Line proper, things take right off.

YMMV.

And Amph can probably fill you in better than I can if he wants to chime in. He's the one who told me to push past the lacklustre beginning...and I now don't regret pushing past that at all.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 November 2018 - 04:10 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1854 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:33 AM

Do not watch the anime--its is very slowly paced, and because of this is bad for the most part. The manga, itself, is something I think is absolutely excellent throughout and really needs to be read through. However, the beginning arcs up to Nami's is a very different pace than the rest of the manga (for the most part), focused mostly on building the main cast, and setting the tone and underlining theme of adventure. It never stops being 'juvenile' mostly because that's a part if its DNA--its a story about adventure and fun, and sometime that's juvenile, but it does start hitting more heavy themes, and goes for big emotion (which is, I'll state here, the biggest reason to read One Piece, no other comic (Japanese, American, or European) really has the same kind of emotional heft as One Piece) later on the in series. I'd say the weakest it gets is the third arc of the 'East Blue Saga', and the Fisher Man arc in the start of the second half. Between those two points is one of best serialized stories ever told, and after the Fisher Man arc isn't to shabby either.

(I've been reading a lot of comics, and since I haven't posted in this thread is a age I got some posting to do--though at some other time)

#1855 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:17 PM

Thanks guys for the detailed responses on One Piece, I shall continue. And on the subject of manga, I am on about volume 7 of Berserk. It's pretty good so far.

#1856 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:13 AM

DEADLY CLASS.
How.

The fuck.

Has no one told me about this???

#1857 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:50 AM

Aren't they making a TV show of it?

Ah yes. On Syfy.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 25 November 2018 - 09:51 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1858 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:13 AM

Yah that prompted me to check it out.
Real 'just one more chapter holy crap it's 4am' stuff. Great twists and retwists.

ETA and rewatching the trailer now that i've read the first four collections... yeah, i'm in for that.

Tho it's a little a bad sign that there are two 'styles' of trailers, this boderline punk rock, and the other that makes it look like a spoof John Hughes thing.

Still, at least visually they nailed the casting. I can't see a tv series getting even close to the sheer level of sex, drugs, and cast fatality the comic does, but there's a lot of good source material there. A. LOT.

.....seriously, if you ever read a comic and were irritated by the basic rule that most of the main characters were 'safe', this is the opposite of that.

#1859 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:33 PM

Reading Brian ("Saga") K. Vaughan's Paper Girls, and it's fantastic. I blitzed the first two volumes waaay too late last night, and then immediately purchased the next two on Comixology. They're on sale through Monday, so grab them cheap now! You won't regret it.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1860 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

I picked up the first volume of Deadly Class on Abyss' recommendation, so...

I also on a whim got the first volume of Analog by Gerry Duggan and David O'Sullivan and read it on the way home. Neat. Basically a noir sorta thing in a world where the internet has been made completely non-private so important information is now ferried by specialised carriers in, well, analogue only. I think if it paced itself a little better it could be really great- it keeps serving up twists amost before they've set up the basic groundline they're twisting on, which removes some weight from them- but it's still a blast with top-notch dialogue and action writing and some nice hardboiled-detective-gruff artwork.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users