• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Music

#11501 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:25 AM

View PostAptorian, on 03 May 2019 - 06:10 AM, said:

Easier to just ban the users.

Okay, that is just ridiculous. This thread is about music. What reason is there to ban someone for repeatedly posting about music on a thread about music? If I was spamming, it would make sense, but this is obviously not the case here.
Liking a genre you may not like is really not a particularly intelligent reason, either. Music is something I like a lot, and I'm going to share my opinions about it. I'm doing it on a thread about music, so that people who don't love music can know to ignore it - just as I ignore the movies thread, as I don't watch movies. If you don't like prog rock, prog metal, symphonic metal, or fusion, and want to read a music thread that doesn't include these genres, that's fine. Feel free to make a thread for that purpose. If that is specified in the thread title, I'll make sure not to mention those genres. I will, however, post about thrash metal, power metal, and classic heavy metal in it, unless you want to exclude those genres too. Down that road madness lies, as it will eventually be called "Music from the few genres I happen to like".
If this is how you treat (relative) newcomers to the boards, I'm surprised there are any people on this forum.

#11502 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:25 AM

View PostJohn II, on 01 May 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

I've been delaying it as long as I can, but now I just can't resist the urge to listen to my favourite song ever...

Might as well give in to the full ride and submit your ears to Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii.

https://vimeo.com/220679367

Careful With That Axe, Eugene begins @ around 15:30 mark

#11503 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:29 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 03 May 2019 - 06:25 AM, said:

I've been delaying it as long as I can, but now I just can't resist the urge to listen to my favourite song ever...

Might as well give in to the full ride and submit your ears to Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii.

Oh look, a prog rock reference. Ban him!!!
Live at Pompeii is the best non-live live album ever. David Gilmour's concert there a while back would have been an amazing experience - the first public performance there in almost 2000 years.

#11504 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:35 AM

View PostJohn II, on 03 May 2019 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 03 May 2019 - 06:25 AM, said:

Oh look, a prog rock reference. Ban him!!!
Live at Pompeii is the best non-live live album ever. David Gilmour's concert there a while back would have been an amazing experience - the first public performance there in almost 2000 years.

Yeah man. My older brother introduced me to Live at Pompeii, through friends of his. Man, the first time I watched it I was blown away.

Also, Worry and Apt are joking. Sometimes new users don't pick up on their forum personalities at first and so can take things they say the wrong way. I know I did when I first joined.

#11505 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:56 AM

Don't listen to Kazooie. Worry and I never make jokes. Music taste is serious business.

#11506 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:02 AM

Yeah man. My older brother introduced me to Live at Pompeii, through friends of his. Man, the first time I watched it I was blown away.

Now that would be an explosive introduction to the Floyd. Mine was a little cliche: Comfortably Numb. It came up in a discussion about guitar solos, and back then I really only listened to Eagles and Elton John, and a bit of Dire Straits and Led Zeppelin. A friend said, "check this guy out, you don't have to be fast to be good," and I was sold instantly. Thus began my Pink Floyd journey and my prog rock journey. Now Gilmour is my favourite guitarist. He's remained on that lofty pedestal despite attacks by Brian May, John Petrucci, Richard Henshall, and Steven Wilson.

Also, Worry and Apt are joking. Sometimes new users don't pick up on their forum personalities at first and so can take things they say the wrong way. I know I did when I first joined.

I get what you're saying, and it definitely applies to Worry's comment; as you can see from my response, I got it right away.
Apt's comment, however, was couched in somewhat more serious terms. This lent credence to the notion that the concept it conveyed was to be taken seriously. Therefore, I am sceptical of your claim that it was meant in jest.
I have no problem with people joking about my somewhat overeager music consumption. However, when it becomes serious, I reserve the right to defend myself. Note that I do not take any offense at people attacking my music tastes. I am, however, appalled by the suggestion that swinging the banhammer (which is like Brood's burnhammer, only not as awesome) at those who you happen to disagree with is a good idea.

#11507 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:14 AM

Apologies for the double post, but this is a music thread, not a rant thread.
Haken's Vector. I'll always have a soft spot for this album, as it was the first metal album I listened to. Even without that soft spot, I'd still like it. The only criticism I can summon is that it's quite similar to Aquarius in structure, only with shorter songs.
Still, can't wait to hear what they do next. Their 5 albums and one EP so far have all been extremely diverse, which is making me nervous because Dream Theater's first 5 albums and first EP were quite diverse, but now they've got a little repetitive.

#11508 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

View PostJohn II, on 03 May 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

Now that would be an explosive introduction to the Floyd. Mine was a little cliche: Comfortably Numb. It came up in a discussion about guitar solos, and back then I really only listened to Eagles and Elton John, and a bit of Dire Straits and Led Zeppelin. A friend said, "check this guy out, you don't have to be fast to be good," and I was sold instantly. Thus began my Pink Floyd journey and my prog rock journey. Now Gilmour is my favourite guitarist. He's remained on that lofty pedestal despite attacks by Brian May, John Petrucci, Richard Henshall, and Steven Wilson.

I get what you're saying, and it definitely applies to Worry's comment; as you can see from my response, I got it right away.
Apt's comment, however, was couched in somewhat more serious terms. This lent credence to the notion that the concept it conveyed was to be taken seriously. Therefore, I am sceptical of your claim that it was meant in jest.
I have no problem with people joking about my somewhat overeager music consumption. However, when it becomes serious, I reserve the right to defend myself. Note that I do not take any offense at people attacking my music tastes. I am, however, appalled by the suggestion that swinging the banhammer (which is like Brood's burnhammer, only not as awesome) at those who you happen to disagree with is a good idea.

If you check out the forums Code of Conduct I am pretty sure you'll find that bad music taste is a bannable offense.

#11509 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

View PostAptorian, on 03 May 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

View PostJohn II, on 03 May 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

If you check out the forums Code of Conduct I am pretty sure you'll find that bad music taste is a bannable offense.

In that case, you're out on your ear. I believe that missing one or more apostrophes is also a bannable offense. That's a double transgression for you, my friend.

I must admit, I find your posts here a little disappointing. I understand that they were probably all in jest. Usually, I appreciate all kinds of humour, even (especially) at my expense. However, what you have exhibited here could hardly be described as humour. Maark's rants about TWoK are comedy gold compared to your insipid pseudo-sarcastic comments.

Now, this is a thread about music... so, after I finish Vector (I was disrupted partway through) I will be listening to Megadeth's magnificent Rust in Peace. Thoughts, people, on Rust in Peace vs Master of Puppets vs Reign in Blood? I know RiP will get negative points due to being released later, but it was certainly Megadeth's best album. Personally, I prefer MoP, but find Megadeth better overall - the only truly horrible Megadeth album is Risk; whereas Metallica has Load, Reload, and St Anger; and Slayer is disqualified for making 25 minute albums (seriously, if you can't keep listeners engaged for more than a few minutes per song, you're probably doing it wrong. Also, Kerry King).

#11510 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:01 AM

I can tell that you're an appriciator of humor from your replies so far.

I was of course joking and I'm going to stop busting your balls now but you're pretty fun to poke at.

#11511 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:49 AM

Kamasi Washington in a month!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#11512 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

New OF MONSTERS AND MEN single! I've been SOOOOOOO waiting for another slice of sweet Icelandic rock pie and this doesn't disappoint!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11513 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

Damn you @John II You have me in a progrock mindset now. Here's one.

I am the assassin, with tongue forged from eloquence
I am the assassin, providing your nemesis
On the sacrificial altar to success, my friend
Unleash a stranger from a kiss, my friend
No incantations of remorse, my friend
Unsheathe the blade within the voice, my friend
Who decorates the scarf with the fugi knot
Who camouflaged emotion in a thousand yard stare
Who gouged the notches from the family tree
Who hypnotised the guilt in career rhythm trance
Assassing, assassing, assassing, assassing
And what do you call assassins who accuse assassins anyway, my friend?

#11514 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 May 2019 - 02:41 AM

Hadn't heard that solo Thom Yorke song before. It rules.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11515 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

Still locked in progrock mode (thanks a lot @John II! J/K Posted Image).]

So we all know what an absolute masterpiece Rush's 2112 is, and y'all have probably ripped a few bong hits, put on the headphones and just melted into the couch as you were whisked away in the gloriousness of that record. So I'm not going to post that. But I am going to post the often overlooked 'Hemispheres'. 2112 cast a long shadow, no doubt, but damn Hemispheres is right up there in my book.

Saw a documentary where Geddy Lee said that during this period (these epic concept albums of the 70s) they were really reaching their limit in how much they could attempt to play these live in concert, with all the complexity and changes in time signature and such. It was just a taxing endeavor to try and pull off every night.

#11516 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:06 AM

Rush is just amazing. No more needs to be said.
I also quite like the fact that they're a bit geeky too.

#11517 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:03 AM

Can you guys name 3-5 great Rush tracks? Because everything I've listened to from Rush besides Tom Sawyer has not agreed with me.

#11518 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:01 PM

Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
Fly By Night
Working Man
A Farewell to Kings
Limelight
Manhattan Project
New World Man
La Villa Strangiato
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#11519 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

I love the whole 2112 album. Like any good concept album it needs to be listened as a whole rather than a few select tracks.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11520 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:59 PM

Ok, since John II got me on a nostalgia kick, I've now revisited some Japanese Noise. I remember my older brother was way into this genre and one Christmas break when he was back from uni, after my dad had gone to work, he decided to wake everyone up by blasting some from my dad's stereo. We were all on break and so sleeping in. Man I remember me and my other siblings were angry.

Share this topic:

• 613 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users