• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Music

#11481 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:15 PM

View Postworry, on 24 April 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the answer here -- as it is with all questions everywhere -- is Spacehog.

Oh gods....please no. ANYTHING but spacehog.

Also, some more 90's crunchy Brit-stuff to ease him from Queen into Grunge (but with a smoking hot lead singer; which may help)

I mean I'd say recommend L7 - Pretend We're Dead, but that might be TOO crunchy a switch from Queen. Lush falls right in the middle.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 April 2019 - 06:18 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11482 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:28 PM

#11483 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:54 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 April 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

I was going to try some English stuff like Oasis, Coldplay, and Radiohead soon to.

He is seriously obsessed with Queen especially Radio Ga Ga and I Want to Break Free. Demands I roll windows down and crank it up. This 2017 Chevy comes with a pretty damn good factory system.

Yeah, if he's hardcore into Queen, you'll likely need to shift him through 90's/2000's British stuff to get him to Grunge. So those would be solid choices. See also: Elastica, Pulp, and The Verve.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11484 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:26 AM

https://youtu.be/zElsawhesCU

This post has been edited by Maark Abbott: 25 April 2019 - 07:28 AM

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#11485 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:44 PM

Briar King - if he's into Queen, why would you even try to shift him into grunge? ;)

Currently I'm listening to EPICA - The Quantum Enigma

#11486 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:50 PM

View PostBriar King, on 28 April 2019 - 04:38 AM, said:

I'm trying to expand his mind since he signed up for band this year. Queen was pretty much a given to cover since every band plays "we will Rock you" beat. Had to introduce him. I just wanted him to sample a bit of my teenage jam and share some stories about my exp hearing them/what I was doing when new.

I should throw on some Master P!

Fair enough. Queen is actually quite good for covers, because it ranges from the simpleness of We Will Rock You to the complexity of The Prophet's Song, and the pure awesomeness of Bohemian Rhapsody. Also A Night At The Opera is the greatest album ever made, end of story. Just I certainly wouldn't want to cover Nirvana or anything similar. I suppose it is at least simple - from the same era I'm listening to things like Megadeth and Dream Theater (not Metallica though; their 80s work was great, but the least said about Load-o-shite and Reload-your-gun-to-shoot-yourself the better), which are definitely not the easiest to cover.
You could try 70s classic rock like Eagles - that was my jam as a starting musician. On a different vein, Halestorm is my current go-to for simple songs.

I didn't know who Master P was, so I googled. Not going near that, thanks...

The mention of Dream Theater is making my ears water, so I'm sating them with Images and Words.

#11487 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:15 PM

View PostBriar King, on 28 April 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

Master P was a joke post.

I did vibrate the ground plenty with the 15's in late 90's though with his orange covered CD(I forget the name) that my friend begged me to buy.

That's good. I don't have to kill you just yet. I'll put you a bit lower on my list.

#11488 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:46 PM

#11489 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:39 AM

Going through the 90s Opeth albums...
Man, those guys have a lot to thank Steven Wilson for.

#11490 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:02 AM

View PostJohn II, on 30 April 2019 - 05:39 AM, said:

Going through the 90s Opeth albums...
Man, those guys have a lot to thank Steven Wilson for.

Truth. They basically turned into slightly heavier Porcupine Tree clones.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11491 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:13 PM

Ok, I know I keep posting Better Oblivion Community Center here (I love 'em, I can't help myselfPosted Image). But for reelz, take some time to watch this mini set from NPR's 'Tiny Desk Concert' series. You'll brighten your day, I promise.Posted Image

#11492 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:22 PM

Romantic Warrior - Return to Forever. Almost Emerson-like keyboard playing.

#11493 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 01 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

For those who like Bent Knee, the lead singer, Courtney Swain, has just released a solo album. It's pretty weird (as you might expect) and wool take a few listens but I'm digging it and she has such a unique voice...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11494 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

I've been delaying it as long as I can, but now I just can't resist the urge to listen to my favourite song ever...

#11495 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

Any of you music heads paying attention to Billie Eilish?

The music podcasts I follow are really enthralled with her. Her music is being described as Pop Noir. Something decidedly not meant for main stream, yet she's charting and even getting nr. 1 placements around the world.

Made more impressive by the fact that she's 17 and her and her brother pretty much produced most of their music by themselves.

Some of her tracks I really like but much of it just doesn't do much for me. But then again I could say that about pretty much any artist. Still I feel like a lot of her music is just melancholy dross.

This song I really like. I love the low rumble and the weird dark undertone:

Bad guy:

http://youtu.be/DyDfgMOUjCI

Same with:

You should see me in a crown: http://youtu.be/coLerbRvgsQ

But most of the rest is just okay to meh.

#11496 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

Her songs/style don't really resonate with me, but she's still impressive for the same reason Lorde was: fully legible, stylish songs that hold up next to (and sound relatively unique against) the current pop landscape.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11497 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:30 AM

Re Billie Eillish: I don't really listen to pop trash that style of music, but also impressive from an age point of view is Don't Mess with the Time Man by Halestorm (technically just Lzzy and Arejay). Not particularly good, especially compared to their later work, but it was made when Lzzy was 15 and Arejay was 12 years old.

Tarkus - ELP. So many catchy licks in this. This song is proof that Emerson > Wakeman. There really isn't anyone around today who can dominate like he could. The closest I can think of are Tuomas Holopainen and Jordan Rudess.

#11498 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:06 AM

Mods can we please limit posters' prog rock references on the board to one per week?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11499 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:28 AM

View Postworry, on 03 May 2019 - 05:06 AM, said:

Mods can we please limit posters' prog rock references on the board to one per week?

Join us on the progressive dark side!
Besides, I think I only posted two prog rock references on this thread - Pink Floyd and ELP. Opeth and Dream Theater are prog metal. EPICA is symphonic metal. Return to Forever is jazz fusion.
Also, I'd like to see the amount of keywords a script to achieve that would include...

#11500 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:10 AM

Easier to just ban the users.

Share this topic:

• 613 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic