Malazan Empire: DRESDEN FILES - the original discussion thread up to SMALL FAVOR - Malazan Empire

• 28 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DRESDEN FILES - the original discussion thread up to SMALL FAVOR SPOILERS mostly blocked but you have been warned!

#61 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:29 PM

Indeed, I don't think I'll be watching the series. Not even a HBO budget could manage the finales of books four and seven especially. Even a Hollywood blockbuster would struggle with seven...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#62 Guest_Jagged_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:42 AM

If I'm not mistaken Proven Guilty was his first book to rate a Hard Back. I had to buy it that way. I will also probalby pick up white Knight when it comes out.

#63 User is offline   Falco 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:06 AM

Yeah book 8 is out here in paperback in 2-4 weeks, according to Borders. Love how long some of the story arcs take to come together ie.

Spoiler

I get what you mean about the rest of the world Abyss, and it has become more global as the series went on. Still, how many times has he saved the world in Chicago? I'm just being picky, I know. Great series.

His Codex Alera any good?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 22 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

#64 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

Actually, Harry himself says he didn't really save the world in book 4 - just a lot of people. Technically he MAY have saved the world with the Faerie thing in Summer Knight, altho even then he wasn't sure.

EDIT: to add
- got PROVEN GUILTY today. WOOHOOO!!!
- Haven't read Codex Alara series - gets mixed reviews but on the strength of the author, will probably buy the series in mmpg when it's complete.

- Abyss, saved the world from excess Jagermeister a few times.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#65 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:58 AM

Finished books 6 and 7 today. Proven Guilty arrives tomorrow if the postman is to be trusted.
Anyways Dead Beat took the place as my favorite, that finish.. ;)

Re: whole Chicago thing..
Spoiler

#66 User is offline   Falco 

• First Sword

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:11 AM

Still waiting for my copy of Proven Guilty. This is the first series of which I have bought every book and intend to buy the new ones since MBotF, I must confess. Must start lending and converting shortly.

Edit: Harry Dresden short story by Butcher here

#67 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

@Falco - i'm so there. I ordered White Night in HC with the Reaper's Gale HC.

@Vaiski - i still can't decide whether i liked the Dead Beat or Death Masks finale more, but those are easily my fave two moments in the series, shortly followed by...

Spoiler

- Abyss, notes Butcher may bump GRRM for my #2 author spot.

#68 User is offline   drza44 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

I read all of the Dresden books hat were out about a year ago (maybe 5? 6 at the outside) and really enjoyed them. I could have started to re-read immediately, but instead I like to give it some time to marinate so that when further volumes come out I can almost feel like I'm starting over. I've been planning to start that re-read session for awhile now once my life settles down some...with the news that book 9 will come out in hardcover in the spring, I'll probably wait till it drops then read them all.

Dresden was the first set of books that I read in the modern/mystery/fantasy/horror genre, though I've recently added Harrison, Hamilton, Armstrong, and L.A. Banks as well. I like Dresden the best, with Harrison probably a close second. The first 9 or so books of Hamilton would have been in the discussion, but she's lost me with some of her recent stuff.

#69 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:16 PM

Butcher's fully worth the re-read and Book 7, Dead Beat, is just brilliant.

Echoing Vaiski's comment in another thread: Harrison and Armstrong - infodump please?

- Abyss, always on the lookout.

#70 User is online   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

Saw the first episode of the series yesterday, it was pretty disappointing. The fact that they changed things pointlessly just to pretty it up does not bode well for the series. Still, we can but hope...
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#71 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:22 PM

I have an unnerving piece of information on the series: according to an article in the latest SFX, they plan to get around the fact that the books are ambitious for telly by simply not following the books (well, "in spirit" yadayada).

I'm not one for moaning about changes in adaptation - I like them, in fact, if they're beneficial - but I'm worried they're just going to go off on one of their own.

#72 User is online   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:33 PM

I've no problem with changes in adaptation if they result in a good programme and still represent what the author was trying to do, i havn't see much of that yet.
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#73 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:00 PM

Exactly. From the sounds of it (I haven't seen any of it yet) they're basically taking the basics of characters, and settings, and going their own way.

#74 User is offline   drza44 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:19 PM

Abyss;159592 said:

Butcher's fully worth the re-read and Book 7, Dead Beat, is just brilliant.

Echoing Vaiski's comment in another thread: Harrison and Armstrong - infodump please?

- Abyss, always on the lookout.

Abyss, posted some info in the other thread that I don't want to just cut-and-paste here but I'd like to expand on. Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series is okay, but not one that I'd really recommend to anyone. It's a series of interrelated standalones, where the protagonist of the first two books (a female werewolf) also knows the protagonist of the second two books (a female witch) who interracts with the female ghost is the protagonist of another book...you get the idea. I like the concept, but the execution wasn't as effective nor as interesting to me as the Dresden series. In short, if you really like the genre it's something to read to pass the time, but not one that I'm in any hurry to continue with future books.

The Kim Harrison series, on the other hand, I like just about as much as I liked Dresden and (like Dresden) it shows every sign of getting better as it goes along. The protagonist's name is Rachel Morgan, a witch. The world is cast as modern earth with the supernaturals in it (magic, werewolves, vampires, demons, etc.), but instead of the regular humans pretending magic doesn't exist (like Dresden) there was instead a tragic event decades ago that made the supernatural presence obvious and now they live as a separate society within human society. Rachel starts the series as the equivalent of a cop that polices that supernatural society. The series has lots of the same irreverence that marks the Dresden books, has a female vampire that may be the most interesting character in either of the two series, and as I said it is clearly on the ramp up in quality as I proceed. If you love Dresden as much as you seem to, I whole-heartedly recommend that you go pick up Dead Witch Walking (book 1 in the series).

#75 Guest_Jagged_*

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:26 AM

I have not read Armstrong but he is right that if you liked Dresden you will probably like Harrisons books. They are all in paperback which is a plus as well. I certainly enjoy them. I think a specific Ivy-Rachel interaction is starting to wear and needs to be resolved at least in part in the next book but overall it's good reading.

Harry is way more interesting then Ivy IMO and Jenks is the best character in the series. Jenks kicks ass. Thats right my favorite character is the 4 inch tall pixy...you want a piece.:)

#76 User is offline   drza44 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

Well yeah, I should point out, when I say "most interesting character" in a story told first-person I meant "most interesting character outside of the POV character" as a given. So yeah, Harry doesn't count.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 22 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

#77 Guest_Jagged_*

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

drza44;160006 said:

Well yeah, I should point out, when I say "most interesting character" in a story told first-person I meant "most interesting character outside of the POV character" as a given. So yeah, Harry doesn't count.

Spoiler

Spoilers for Kim Harrisons books don't read if your not up to date.
Spoiler

#78 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:09 PM

Back on Dresden, just finished PROVEN GUILTY. Good fun, satisfactory continuation of the series, not as mad genius as Dead Beat, but a great finale with great supporting characters along for the ride.

One thing tho...

SPOILERS UNDEAD ZOMBIE SPOILERS WILL
EAT YOUR SPOILERS BRAINZ AND SHAT THEM LIKE SPOILER
TURDS UPON THE WORLD SPOILERS

Spoiler

Anyrate, anyone who's liked the series so far will continue to.

- Abyss, has pre-ordered WHITE NIGHT.

#79 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

Abyss's spoiler warnings are far better than Jagged's...

#80 User is offline   drza44 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

Since I last posted, I've gone back and re-read the first five books. It had been so long since the first read that I had actually forgotten most of the details of the plots and I had forgotten how much I liked them... now I have 3 (soon to be 4) new ones to read. Hooray, beer!

Share this topic:

• 28 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users