• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reaper's Gale Prologue

#201 User is offline   Kallor 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

by the way, it was mentioned in passing the other day that efforts are beibng made to reconcile the timeline for those of you with nothing better to do than find fault with it.

#202 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:50 PM

*hugs kallor*

It was just what Rake said...u know...for some reason I just couldn't let go of it. No matter how many times I tried to think of a possible explaination nothing would come
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#203 User is offline   Lord of Salvation 

• Fist

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:48 PM

Thats good to hear though. It does pay off to be nit-picky sometimes.

#204 Guest_Mule of Shadow_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:40 AM

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I couldn't wade through all the comments.

What if the finnest is Mappo's bag that seems to be a warren?

It certainly isn't a mule saddle.

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:02 AM

it's a nice idea, but I seem to recall Mappo telling us how that was made for him :(

#206 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:54 AM

I could just picture Scabandari's soul being endlessly tortured by naught else but this worm-ridden smelly chunk of bhederin meat Mappo inadvertently just forgot in the bag these last two milennia or so...

#207 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:20 AM

I seam to remember at the end of MoI it was said that the Destraint (for the grey SWORDS) had been chosen in a land far away. Prehaps this was a group attempting to find him/her?

#208 User is offline   Murrin 

• First Sword

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:30 AM

The Grey Swords' Destriant was one of the two female officers. The other was Shield Anvil, and Anaster/Toc the Mortal Sword of Togg. Full compliment. The Mortal Sword of the Crippled God, however, was referred to in MoI as being chosen in a far off land.

#209 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

And now that T/F's full set of destriants, anvils and mortal swords are checked and known, what about Treach's? I seem to have forgotten, did Gruntle die at Coral? Now with Heboric dead... Treach isnt much of a good choser?

#210 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:25 AM

Has the Mortal Sword been revealed or even hinted at yet? The card's not listed on the Deck in Bonehunters, so perhaps The King in Chains is it's replacement (Rhulad would fit the 'distant land part', or it just hasn't been drawn yet. Redmask, maybe.
He's only going to get chopped by Karsa though, whoever he is. You knows it.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#211 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:50 AM

Gruntle's still alive, so Treach has his Mortal Sword. But his Shield Anvil is now dead and we haven't heard about his Destriant (mainly because we thought it was Heboric for ages). Treach doesn't seem to make many good choices, though.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#212 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:19 PM

The Mortal Sword of the CG has to be Rhulad since the MS is described by the wraiths on Drift Avalii (I think it was there) as having died a hundred deaths.

Treach didn't choose a bad destriant in Heboric. The Destriant was needed for small tasks and preparations in the wirldwinds center. Then when a Shield Anvil was needed to eat up all the souls of the Jade, Heboric changed nature to a SA. (And before you start arguing, yes, he was Destriant first, he healed Scilara(sp?))

#213 User is offline   Coldnight 

• Corporal

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:23 PM

It seems that Treach likes reluctant representatives like Heboric and Gruntle. And Heboric is a good choice. He had to die to become Shield Anvil just like Treach had to die to become a god. The presence of Heboric's body on the Hunter card also indicates that he's important for Treach.
Besides, Heboric might be dead but he hasn't returned to Hood's kingdom. He's with the released souls in some unknown dark place. Waiting... :cool:

#214 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:11 PM

Kallor;116784 said:

by the way, it was mentioned in passing the other day that efforts are beibng made to reconcile the timeline for those of you with nothing better to do than find fault with it.

If it's more convenient for you and SE, we could always just sacrifice the unbelievers.

- Abyss, trying to be helpful :(
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#215 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:15 PM

Coldnight;117594 said:

... Heboric might be dead but he hasn't returned to Hood's kingdom. He's with the released souls in some unknown dark place. Waiting... :cool:

I liked the suggestion (by Hetan iirc) that Heboric's soul is hanging out in Chaur. Death and ascension have, as Coldnight pointed out, been linked many, many times.

Someone, Felisin Sha'ik i think, told Karsa that he would one day need Heboric. I don't think that's happened yet, unless it's a sideways ref to Heboric taking care of Felisin Younger when Karsa was absent.

- Abyss, thought Heboric was a handy guy to have around. heehee, see what i did there?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#216 User is offline   MecnunK 

• 5324th Seguleh and climbing

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:24 AM

kickass. I really wanted to meet Kilmandaros the killer of dragons.

#217 User is offline   Kallor 

• First Sword

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:51 PM

will it help matters if i mention that i will soon be in possession of the first chapters of ... guess what?

#218 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:28 AM

Toll of the Hounds I take it ?

Damn you :hume: :p

#219 User is offline   Kage-za 

• Captain

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:40 AM

Ignoring my jealousy of Kallor for a moment, I'd like to offer a very simple guess as to the identity of the "terrible child" mentioned by the Edur: none other than our beloved Anomander Rake. This would clean things up nicely because it would eliminate the inconsistancy between the RG and MT versions of the story, and remove the need for a new character since Rake fights along-side Kili (probably in dragon form), opposed Scabby, and was probably terrible.

Here's the evidence:
1) Rake has both motive and opportunity to be Scabby's nemesis. In the MT prologue Scabby thinks that taking out Silchas removes his "last worthy opponent among the Tiste." As he thinks of Mommy Dark's three children it says:

Andarist, who long ago surrendered his power in answer to a grief that could never heal. All unknowing that the hand that delivered that grief was mine...
Anomandaris Irake, who broke with his mother and with his kind. Who then vanished before I could deal with him. Vanished never to be seen again.
And now Silchas Ruin, who in a very short time will know the eternal prison of the Azath.
...A champion of the Tiste Andii in this realm? I can think of no-one...no-one with the power to stand before me.

It did not occur to Scabandari Bloodeye wonder where, of the three sons of Mother Dark, the one who had vanished might have gone.
But even that was not his greatest mistake...

So Rake has the motive of revenge for his two brothers as well as just wanting some entertainment (and Osserc has a reason to intervene just to thwart Rake from having "fun", rather than any affinity for Scabby). And Scabby's greatest mistake was probably to think that his only worthy enemies would be Tiste.

2) I believe it's been discussed elsewhere, but there's a good chance that the Rake/Irake/Purake part of his name means child. In the reading of the Tiles in MT when Seren is present [end of chapter 7], Feather Witch begins speaking in "Draconean words," according to Udinaas. She says, "Elient Tiam purake setoram n'brael buras," which he translates as "Children of Mother Tiam lost in all that they surrendered." This means "purake" probably means children, lost, all, or surrender. Only the first two fit, and since he is later found, I think "lost" can be ruled out."
Over the hundreds of thousands of years, the part of his name that in the Tiste language means "child" could have remained, making him the Terrible child spawned by the dragons.
Plus then we get the added bonus of being able to call him "Andy the Kid."

3) There would be a nice consistency to the twisting of the Edur history if Father Shadow, the Betrayer, and the Terrible Child were all Tiste. Since Rake led a group that had broken off from with his people, and presumably fought in Draconean form (since he did not have Dragnipur), he could easily be thought a spawn of the dragons.

Finally, Rake being the Terrible Child gives him a great reason to be drawn to Lether and Edur affairs, justifiying his big role in the prologue and promising that we'll see him in the body of RG!

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:30 AM

Well it's a well considered theory... only Rake didn't do it :p
It's pretty obvious that he just helped clean up the mess after Kilmandaros did the biz.

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users