• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reaper's Gale Prologue

#241 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:05 AM

Maybe it does. Why is Burn's sleep so important and vital to the world's safety, yet has only needed to be done relatively recently? Perhaps it's in order to fill the void left by a deceased EG.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#242 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:30 PM

It seems Burn went to sleep to bind the CG, who would otherwise be running about causing all sorts of problems (of the end-of-the-world variety) , but is apparently too powerful to just kebab and be done with. I assume there is a good reason for not just tossing him under a convenient chateau Azath

We don't actually know how long she's been snoozing, or whether she was already taking a nap when the CG needed to be chained.

We also don't know whether there were any attempts at chaining him without Burn's snorring self helping out.

- Abyss, big fan of NoDoze.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#243 User is offline   Dark Mac 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

The amount of time Burn has been sleeping appears many, many times throughout the series. It's the dating system the world uses. She was awake for most of the Chainings, assuming they haven't all happened in the last millenium.

Also, the impression I got from Caladan in MoI is that she's sleeping to power his hammer, and so that the CG will have a tougher time killing her. It'll be interesting to see Caladan Brood use that hammer against a truly formidable foe.

#244 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:44 PM

@DM: It's an assumption that the dating system started at the same time as her snooze. But there have been multiple Chainings, and we don't know that she was snoozing thru all of them, or as of which one the Burn's Sleep date count started.

As for Brood's Hammer, i suspect that's the alarm clock to wake her up. The fact that it's also a weapon is ancilliary.

- Abyss, actually just used 'ancilliary' in a sentence.

#245 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:55 PM

I think the explanation behind the sleep is this.

The CG was chained to Burn when he fell, in the first Chaining. Burn was awake.

As time passed he became more weakly bound, and stronger. This had a negative effect on Burn, and Chainings occured more frequently.

Eventually, at a point 1134 years before the main series, another Chaining had occured, but the malign influence of the CG over Burn required her to go to sleep for some reason, perhaps as a way of protecting herself. The hammer was made at the same time (I assume?) which maybe means that Burn was placing a portion of her power in the care of Caladan Brood, and thus away from the CG.

Ever since, Burn has slept, continuing to get weaker, and despite further Chainings the CG has just gotten more and more powerful.

Burn went to sleep on the date used as the foundation of the dating system, I don't see how people can doubt that.

#246 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:09 AM

Okay my very first post in the empire! First, cuz i'm still wraping my brain around bonehunters after just finishing it, just a simple one - single edged sword of Iccy's may be the finnest (re: earlier post about "single edged sword might be it") I think thats what the dude was getting at... mayhaps i be wrong. It would explain the power of the sword (anyone clue in to that little bit in bh when iccy wipes out a bunch of letheri/edur tryin to assault the first throne)
Now... the terrible child mentioned doesnt have to be anyone we know, i highly doubt its Rake (don't ask me why, i have a funny sense)
I see no discrepency in the timeline. The sisters knew about Ruin because there were witnesses, while it appears there were none to Scabby's death (other than those directly involved) Osserc knew because he eventually found Rake, or talked to Mael or Kil, or is somehow bound to Scabby, so that leaves a much greater window for this fight with Rake
Who says Kilmandaros is a god of ANYone? She's just an elder god... Personally, I think if it matters, it will come up. Her children... demons of some kind possibly, perhaps something we dont know about yet.
The redmasked dude said he had been away and things were starting to look very different, hence assumed it was the lether, not having learned as of yet about the Edur's sudden rise to power.

I've been reading this entire thread for two or three days (off and on, of course), so forgive me if i missed anything.

#247 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:33 PM

@TheRope: Welcome!
Just off a reread, I was wondering at the way Iccy's sword is often ref'd almost of itself, ie: "Onrack struck at his head, intending to kebab Icarium but good, however the single-edged sword was suddenly in the way.", or "...the single-edged sword swung around, reducing Apt to a set of drumsticks big enough to give Colonel Sanders wet dreams in his grave", but ultimately i think that's just an SE narrative style at work, as opposed to when he write Rhulad fighting in MT, where the sword IS doing the work. I think the power is in Iccy, not the sword. The single edged blade is repeatedly ref'd as being unusual and ancient, but i suspect it ties to Iccy's travels to some long ago metallurgically superior empire which he subsequently reduced to bloody cole slaw after someone stepped on his toe or something. (or more likely it was a tool given to him by the KC back when he was a pet slave, but that's just conjecture on my part).

- Abyss, suddenly craving KFC...

#248 User is offline   frank 

• Captain

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:32 AM

As far as I understand the CG is infecting Burn because/while he is bound to her. Burns sleep is a healing sleep wich slows, but doesn't stop the infection.
The hammer will wake Burn, VIOLENTLY, and heal/purge her. But everything else will be destroyed.
She gave Cal the hammer cause she trusted him to find a third solution than to either let the CG kill her or to kill everybody else. But time is running out.
If you think back you will remember Quick Ben bringing Jaghut aid to cool the fever.

That wich doesn't kill me can still hurt...A LOT!

#249 Guest_Bellicose_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:10 AM

Okay, w/r/t the canoes found on Awl?dan's coast or thereabaouts:

The Bonehunters, page 713, the hardback-sized paperback, Bantam Press, UK edition:

"They watched as a long craft resembling a war canoe was lowered between the flagship's two hulls, then armoured soldiers descended, taking up paddles."

This is a canoe being used to ferry the leaders of the Perish T& F fan club to the Malazans. Is it not possible that, considering Togg and Fanderay had worshippers before they met up again, (as noted in Memories Of Ice with the rath priest + priestess in Capustan and some other reference I don't remember well), that these Grey Helms may have existed even before T + F had met up again, yet they still worshipped them?

Thus these Perish used war canoes to make it so their huge ships aren't waiting off the coast of the Lether Continent for the troops they've sent ashore.

Now the reason for the Perish T + F worshippers being on the Lether continent was to scout out what they somehow knew would be a threat that their Gods wanted them to face/deal with e.g. Tiste Edur. Although that is slightly tenuos, there could be some truth to it. Are the Perish and the 14th possibly going to the Lether Continent?

I'd also like to know about the possibility of whether the formation of MOI Grey mercenaries dedicated to T + F could also coincide with the formation of Perish Grey Mercenaries dedicated to T + F. The Perish started the ritual to open the portal to get to Unta/Quon Tali 2 years ago, is that before T + F meet up again? Could the Perish Greys pre-date T+ F re-uniting, based on the fact that the wolf gods were still worshipped despite the fact they weren't together?

Also, according to the unofficial world map, Perish ain't that far from the Lether Continent, the EAST Awl'dan side of the continent where the canoes were parked.

As for later in the prologue with red mask, the soldiers he examines are fair of skin, the Perish on pg 713/14 of TBH " their skins were fair" and the shield anvil has "Wheat-Yellow hair" and the mortal sword has blue eyes. So to me that pointsto the idea that the ones red-mask looks at are Perish Grey Helms, which also kinda supports my previous theory.

Boy will I be embarrased if i've missed something obvious.

#250 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:30 AM

if it is Perish and they are scouting... then they would have split off in smaller groups instead of scouting the entire continent as one massive army - so it fits, is what i'm trying to say... from what I know. And also few ppl seem to know much about the Perish, how long they been around, who they worshipped - isn't it possible that they are an ancient cult to T&F from when T&F were together originally? They were RE-united werre they not? And the Falari (or the ones the Malazan's know as Falari) fit the description loosely, and the true Falari DID say they were invaders from long ago... Falari are Perish... Or is my brain fuddled?

#251 Guest_Bellicose_*

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:34 AM

Yeah that could all fit too.

I suppose the sheer mass of people, 500 thousand, is the main problem with my theory, I mean why would it be so many?

#252 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:13 AM

Bellicose;122074 said:

Yeah that could all fit too.

I suppose the sheer mass of people, 500 thousand, is the main problem with my theory, I mean why would it be so many?

When the people standing at the beach look upon the canoes, they make an estimate. They also mention a much lower number of soldiers.

To be honest, several hundred of thousand people traveling across a sea and then getting ashore and not being noticed for 4 years... I have a problem with believing this. Any one with a little knowledge of ancient/middleevil logistics will have a hard time understanding how they feed themselves in a hostile/unknown land, were you aren't welcome.

But of course gods could be involved.

#253 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:03 AM

Of course, everyone always forgets the GODS!! Maybe a form of magical stasis? Everyone gets in position, has a mage start a hibernation spell or something, while in the meantime a smaller number stay awake... If i thought of it, SE could have...

#254 Guest_Bellicose_*

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:31 AM

Or maybe they are in T + F's warren on the Lether Continent, ready-ing for the oncoming war, finding food in that warrenm, warrens are geographical to an extent. The Grey Helms could be waiting as an ambush force for the future or they could be scouting or anything.

#255 Guest_Dryice_*

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:15 PM

The estimates of the size of the landing party was based on the number and size of the ships aand how many people could reasonable fit in them. What if the ships were only half filled with soldiers and half with provisions like food and equipment. That would solve the food propblem and halve the estimated amount of soldiers disembarking. the group would be able to hide a bit easier and have food.

#256 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:01 PM

Dryice;122195 said:

The estimates of the size of the landing party was based on the number and size of the ships aand how many people could reasonable fit in them. What if the ships were only half filled with soldiers and half with provisions like food and equipment. That would solve the food propblem and halve the estimated amount of soldiers disembarking. the group would be able to hide a bit easier and have food.

The roman soldiers lived of waxtablets and, uhm, bread I believe, as rations. A so-so ok, nourishing and stable diet... if you are travelling for a month. I don't think this ages soldiers are able to produce anything that would cerstain them permanantly for FOUR years without resupplying and/or fouraging.

And were exactly are several hundred thousand people hiding? They can't be roaming since a force/population of that size has to reek devastation on the countryside...

I must admit this force of people confounds me but I'm also sick, I'm going back to bed :drunk:

#257 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

Lether is a continent - I'm pretty sure several hundred thousand well-equipped and intelligent warriors could split up and spread out into a continent without too much devastation or notice. These ones wold be hand-picked for this mission for that purpose. Find a couple dozen backwater towns and villages, setup in wilderness... it is possible, esp with a God's help.
I still like my Hibernation Theory (crazy theory?)

#258 Guest_router_*

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:40 PM

What about Kolanse? AFAIR it's located on the SE side of Lehter and in MT we hear some information about some kind of turmoil going on in there. Maybe canoe people are the cause of it?

Edit: geographic typo.

#259 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:00 PM

router;122401 said:

What about Kolanse? AFAIR it's located on the western side of Lehter and in MT we hear some information about some kind of turmoil going on in there. Maybe canoe people are the cause of it?

I seem to remember that the turmoil in Kolanse was something that happens fairly regularly - something to do with the way that their succession works. My memory of that comment was that Kolanse is currently in its isolationist stage.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#260 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:50 AM

I'm so confused...

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic