• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

*Spoilers* - Crazy Theories II

#81 User is offline   Arkmam 

• Titanium Nipple
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, playing board games, taking walks

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:31 AM

I don't think that SE is in the habit of stealing characters from other books, thus I doubt the christian God theory. :(

#82 Guest_potsherds_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:10 PM

The idea of the CG being the Christian/Jewish/Islamic god crossed my mind as well. But then, I don't consider that god to be the benevolent thing that Master of the Deck thinks he is. I think more of his old testament personality. But the similarities are just there. I seriously doubt SE would steal characters from another book myself. :(

#83 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

The Chained/Crippled/Fallen/Whiny/Wedgy'd God is actually Torak from the Belgariad.

-Abyss, must go convulse now.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#84 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:40 PM

If God was kind and loving, and the epitome of goodness (you don't know that for sure, it's possible that he was lying; we wouldn't be able to tell) perhaps being taken down by force by a bunch of sorcerors, being tormented and dragged into imprisonment would change him a bit. Besides, he's quite an emotional god (note the vengefulness, etc).

Anyways, considering Erikson's style, the way he makes societies believe in an all-powerful god because of one or two appearances, how gods deceive men like that, makes me think that that's how he might look at the figure that all christians are worshipping right now. That is, if there were truly the divine interventions cited by holy scriptures, then he might look at it as a divine jerk messing around with us. Just like the Jaghut with the Imass race. Or the Unbound with the Teblor.

Also, the bible references god as extraordinarily powerful, more than all the angels and such, and this Crippled God required Anomander Rake, K'rul, Fener, and other elder gods and extremely powerful ascendants just to chain him. He came from a completely alien realm that nobody knows of. So it is very possible, I think.

Oh, and nobody owns the copyright to the bible, so their characters are up for grabs.

#85 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:07 PM

PannionDude said:

"I think KG has rake and ruin and not a pure blood. But i thin k SD has the otateral dragon. it is obvios that otataral is of SD. we know this from the prologue when spite opens SD and 'a force known to thee world as otateral comes out'."

I believe that the SD combines with everything else to create the Onataral, this jiving with the Onataral is the result of incredible concentrations of magic.

I beleive that otataral is based on the whole layering of energy thing. The Warren SD was first. we all know this. Therefore if magical energy is indeed layered like heboric says (DG i think) then i believe that SD is otataral. because SD is the absence of magical energy. i wrote a larger portion of text on this but the gist was that due to SD being first its therefore the base of all magic and exists when all magical energy is taken out by a powerful spell/mage.

#86 Guest_eleasias_*

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:28 PM

Illuyankas said:

The First Sword was a term Dassem used for the small group of warriors around him, and at most it was about what, 10 people? Not a hundred. Sorry.

If you read Night of Knives, you will find that there was 5 members of Dassem's Entourage, cleverly named "The Sword"

#87 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:26 AM

Agraba makes a good argument. SE hints at the crippled god once being a half decent considerately powerful God that was under siege from other gods of a malevolent ?nature?. Ne way I would imagine that to be a take of what would be the case in our world had our pantheon been structured by the malaz worlds laws.

Instead of GOD from the bible however other Gods are up for election to, namely Zues (a dying or dead religious figure head), Ala(Alternative to GOD, and biggest contender to GODs position) and my personal favourite Budda(who would classify more as an ascendant than true god, much like jesus). Either of these could be 'besieged' by the others and all of these could be seen to put GOD under 'siege'

-My to cents are shiny today.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#88 Guest_direwolf_*

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:35 AM

I am going to copy it from another thread:

btw There must be a Warren of Time or something similar. Icarium should be related to it somehow.... just a theory though.

That one is self-explanatory. Keep in mind that I have not read The Bonehunters yet...

#89 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:40 AM

Anyone recall a certain conversation in TBH, Cotillion and Mappo?

I think this is an interesting idea. I have not yet finished TBH and don't understand what rold Icarium is meant to play with his new companion and all, so maybe I am jumping to conclusions too early. But I am very curious what Icarium's connection to the Azath and NO really is.

I understand about the Gothos angle...but is that it?

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:39 AM

I'm a little more curious as to whether or not he has some connection to the K'Chainies....
I don't know that there's any more behind the NO's ideas for Icarium other than to use him is a weapon, now that Mappo is not there to stop them. :)

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

Just another crazy theory...
perhaps Shadowthrone cannot sit on the Throne of Shadow because the warren is riven.. and to do so may make anyone who does sit on the throne vulnerable to the chaos of the Crippled God's magic..
It's Bottle's musings about Kettle that made me think it.. "The child to come.... the only pure candidate for a new Throne of Shadow - a throne commanding a healed realm

#92 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:16 AM

yeh that quote does say that KE will soon be healed. Maybe thats what ST secret quest is. aswell as being stretched thin he coul be trying to put KE back together? maybe

#93 User is offline   Trotts 

• Barghast Sapper-Wannabe
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:24 AM

(who would classify more as an ascendant than true god, much like jesus).

Haha I love that so much! And born out of the empire of Rome was the First Hero Jesus!

Pure gold!

#94 User is offline   majander 

• Recruit

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:26 AM

Rhulad is not intended to be the final wielder of that sword. He is dying over and over to educate the sword which, at a crucial point in the story will reappear in the hands of another. Either Scabby (it's made with fragments of his original sword, right?)or, better yet, Kallor.

I can see it now:

Rake - Kallor, son, you're claimed.

Kallor - Oh look a new sword fused to my hands which conveniently seems to be able to fight like a demon, all on it's own...

#95 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:44 AM

I thought the sword was made from fragments of Silchas Ruin's blades?

Otherwise, cool theory.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:18 AM

yeah.. fragments of Silchas blades... but we can forgive that... it is the crazy theory thread :)
If that sword goes to Kallor... I would not be happy.
I want to see someone cane Kallor's ass, but good :)

#97 User is offline   bwgan 

• OFFICIAL Keeper of Shiny Things of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:28 AM

@ Hetan & majander ~ Yes, but by giving him a 'power up' first wouldn't it make it even more climatic and humiliating and therefore - fun? I like the training the sword theory...

@ Hetan ~ I also think your theory about the riven warren
'Tell me, Tool, what dominates your thoughts?'
The Imass shrugged before replying. 'I think of Mafia, Adjunct.'
'Do all Imass think about Mafia?'
'No. Few think at all.'
'Why is that?'
The Imass leaned his head to one side and regarded her. 'Because, Adjunct, they are sheeple.'

Sometimes I wonder, "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?" ... and then it hits me.

#98 User is offline   majander 

• Recruit

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:32 AM

Hetan said:

yeah.. fragments of Silchas blades... but we can forgive that... it is the crazy theory thread :)

Edur, albino andii, what's a few tiste between friends? :)

#99 User is offline   Whelp 

• Fist

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

Hetan said:

If that sword goes to Kallor... I would not be happy.
I want to see someone cane Kallor's ass, but good :)

Imagine an overconfident Kallor with the CG's sword, waving it menacingly towards Rake - who simply fully unveils KG, and reduces Kallor to a pile of ash...
Or even better, the overconfident Kallor gets whipped by an Avowed :cool:

#100 User is offline   Dinivan 

• Captain

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:49 AM

Or by some Heavie Soldier...

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic