• You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28781 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 March 2023 - 01:31 PM

pat5150, on 11 March 2023 - 02:50 AM, said:

QuickTidal, on 10 March 2023 - 05:04 PM, said:

Great series and GREAT volume. Prepare yourself for THE SHINING COURT...it's next level (And I'm only 1/4 of the way through!)

Glad you're enjoying it Pat. :) Also, if you're ever in Toronto, go visit Bakkaphoenix Books where Michelle still part-times, she's really nice and signed all my copies of her books.

Just finished The Uncrowned King tonight and holy shit what a book! And you tell me that The Shining Court is even better! Man, I just want to jump into the next Michelle West novel!

But damn it, C. S. Friedman just sent me the final manuscript of the Coldfire prequel Nightborn and I promised her to read it next!

That's right, rub it in Mr Smartypants. May your poutine go sour and your team always lose to the New York Rangers, or similar Canadian insults. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28782 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 March 2023 - 09:38 PM

Tsundoku, on 11 March 2023 - 01:31 PM, said:

Great series and GREAT volume. Prepare yourself for THE SHINING COURT...it's next level (And I'm only 1/4 of the way through!)

Glad you're enjoying it Pat. :) Also, if you're ever in Toronto, go visit Bakkaphoenix Books where Michelle still part-times, she's really nice and signed all my copies of her books.

Just finished The Uncrowned King tonight and holy shit what a book! And you tell me that The Shining Court is even better! Man, I just want to jump into the next Michelle West novel!

But damn it, C. S. Friedman just sent me the final manuscript of the Coldfire prequel Nightborn and I promised her to read it next!

That's right, rub it in Mr Smartypants. May your poutine go sour and your team always lose to the New York Rangers, or similar Canadian insults. :p

I think Pat is in Quebec, so I’d go with the Habs losing as a sports-related insult. Lol
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28783 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 11 March 2023 - 10:46 PM

Well, we lose to pretty much everyone this year, so that's an insult in and of itself.

The Friedman is pretty good thus far. Not as good as the West books, but that's the way love goes!
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#28784 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 March 2023 - 09:53 PM

pat5150, on 10 March 2023 - 03:06 PM, said:

I'm almost done with Michelle Wst's The Uncrowned King, second volume in the Sun Sword sequence, and this series continues to amaze me! I think it's QuickTidal who was pimping this author and I can't believe I've waited this long to finally read it!

I've been reviewing novels on the Hotlist for nearly two decades, and two installments into a fantasy series only three of them were as good as the Sun Sword: George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, Steven Erikson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen, and Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel sequence. I kid you not, this is some seriously good stuff!

You can read my review of the first installment, The Broken Crown, here.

I believe that lots of Malazan fans in particular could really get into this series. It's different in style and scope, but there are some similarities such as getting thrown into a story in the middle of it, with sprawling and multilayered worldbuilding, and complex characters with fascinating backstories that are unveiled gradually.

Deserves the highest possible recommendation. :The Force:

100% agreed! I diligently await her updates on Patreon for news about the new books.

QT, I thought you had read all of the published books in the series, non?

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 12 March 2023 - 09:54 PM

#28785 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 12 March 2023 - 10:09 PM

Tsundoku, on 11 March 2023 - 01:31 PM, said:

This poutine can never go sour!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attached File(s)

For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#28786 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:40 AM

BRAIIINNZZZZZZZZZZ
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28787 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:43 AM

Friedman is returning to Cold fire? Wow
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28788 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 March 2023 - 09:26 AM

Read the Sun Sword, folks! Make it a priority!

damn it man I'm supposed to be on a book buying ban, if we come home from holidays to 3 new books Le wifey will have a fit!

#28789 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 March 2023 - 09:36 AM

Chance, on 02 March 2023 - 05:44 PM, said:

Nearly done Deadhouse Gate but really its too difficult to read Erikson when I don't have much reading time. Still it is a brilliant book. I remembered the Felisin parts as much tougher reads and didn't remember how quickly the story moves along from one event to another over the multiple pows. All around brilliant.

QuickTidal, on 02 March 2023 - 01:24 PM, said:

Decided to give this Django Wexler guy a chance with THE THOUSAND NAMES....um...why did not one tell me this guy was this good? This is not only hitting the spot with my love of Napoleonic wars-type stuff, but the writing is really compelling.

It is really nice but there is a big twist a few books in that I think, I wasn't alone in beliving sucks. Finished the series but the first few books are the best part of the series.

Pretty much spot on the money with this. I enjoyed the series, but the landing didnt stick for the last book, its escalated in a direction that got.....silly? fast.

Maybe not silly but I found it frustrating in places with the antagonists apparent power.

#28790 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 March 2023 - 12:12 PM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 12 March 2023 - 09:53 PM, said:

I'm almost done with Michelle Wst's The Uncrowned King, second volume in the Sun Sword sequence, and this series continues to amaze me! I think it's QuickTidal who was pimping this author and I can't believe I've waited this long to finally read it!

I've been reviewing novels on the Hotlist for nearly two decades, and two installments into a fantasy series only three of them were as good as the Sun Sword: George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, Steven Erikson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen, and Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel sequence. I kid you not, this is some seriously good stuff!

I believe that lots of Malazan fans in particular could really get into this series. It's different in style and scope, but there are some similarities such as getting thrown into a story in the middle of it, with sprawling and multilayered worldbuilding, and complex characters with fascinating backstories that are unveiled gradually.

100% agreed! I diligently await her updates on Patreon for news about the new books.

Ah no, I'm still working my way through the series, I started with the first 3 House War books, and then dove into Sun Sword (of which there are 6) before I get back to the rest of House War, so I've read 5 of the books, and I'm about 1/4 into the 6th of the overall series.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28791 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 13 March 2023 - 01:40 PM

amphibian, on 13 March 2023 - 03:43 AM, said:

Friedman is returning to Cold fire? Wow

Yes, it's a prequel novella about the colony ship arriving on Erna. NIGHTBORN also includes a revised edition of DOMINION, a novella about how Tarrant became the Hunter.

#28792 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 13 March 2023 - 09:33 PM

QuickTidal, on 13 March 2023 - 12:12 PM, said:

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 12 March 2023 - 09:53 PM, said:

Ah no, I'm still working my way through the series, I started with the first 3 House War books, and then dove into Sun Sword (of which there are 6) before I get back to the rest of House War, so I've read 5 of the books, and I'm about 1/4 into the 6th of the overall series.

You have some great stuff awaiting you!

#28793 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 March 2023 - 02:31 PM

QuickTidal, on 25 May 2022 - 12:32 PM, said:

Finished MIRROR SIGHT by Kristen Britain. My opinion of it did not waver, and in the end I really enjoyed it...the ending even made me tear up (first time that's happened in this series)...so I rolled on right into FIREBRAND and I'm already 50 pages in. LOVE this series!

Remiss, I put this down likely for another book I wanted to read more, but I'm back into the thick of it now and enjoying a lot. I really do love this series and it's become comfort food for me. Have decided to take this one on Vacation instead of FOTR. I want to finish this and get through WINTERLIGHT this year since her new Green Rider novella was announced a few days ago (Called SPIRIT OF THE WOOD) and releases on Nov 7th....and I expect Book 8 will follow probably in 2024. I follow her on FB and TikTok and she's super humble and kind and answers questions often. I feel like when it's complete, GREEN RIDER will be able to stand up with the best of the best Epic Fantasy out there.

#28794 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 17 March 2023 - 07:30 AM

polishgenius, on 06 March 2023 - 10:21 PM, said:

Then I went back to the fantasy haunts, am reading Miles Cameron's Against All Gods, a bronze-age-based epic fantasy. Lot of fun early on- Cameron is good at this stuff. It's a little different from his previous fantasy because he usually starts relatively small and builds up and out, whereas the first chapter here is set in the halls of the gods. But it works.

I did finish this before moving on to the new Gladstone, in the end. Although I wouldn't say yet it's Cameron's best book, because the second Red Knight book is just cracking, it does have it going for it that it's the first of his series (SFF series anyway) not to revolve mostly around one uber-competent and humongously lucky protagonist. Like it's still full of special people doing special things, but it doesn't have the somewhat Gary-Stu-ish feel Cameron can sometimes fall into. Also: he does big epic battle magic seriously well.

But I have now moved on to the Gladstone, and man, I missed this world. It's so much fun. Honestly, if you haven't read these books, you've gotta get on it. Light-hearted but epic, like nothing else I've read but still having that comfortable-slippers feel... it's so good.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#28795 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 17 March 2023 - 05:36 PM

Double post, but having finished Dead Country (very excellent, setting up a greater arc to come in the Craft sequence) I moved on to The Return of Fitzroy Angursell, by Victoria Goddard, one of the sequels to The Hands of the Emperor.

I was a little worried because it's clearly gonna be such a different book so I wasn't sure if the charm would carry, but I shouldn't have: it's a delight so far. Reading these books feels like reading something I've loved since childhood, even though I only discovered Goddard last year.

#28796 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 19 March 2023 - 03:56 PM

polishgenius, on 17 March 2023 - 07:30 AM, said:

But I have now moved on to the Gladstone, and man, I missed this world. It's so much fun. Honestly, if you haven't read these books, you've gotta get on it. Light-hearted but epic, like nothing else I've read but still having that comfortable-slippers feel... it's so good.

Received an ARC of the new Gladstone and I would like to know if you think I can read it without having read the entire previous Craft sequence? Think I only read the first two back in the day.

#28797 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 19 March 2023 - 04:00 PM

QuickTidal, on 15 March 2023 - 02:31 PM, said:

Remiss, I put this down likely for another book I wanted to read more, but I'm back into the thick of it now and enjoying a lot. I really do love this series and it's become comfort food for me. Have decided to take this one on Vacation instead of FOTR. I want to finish this and get through WINTERLIGHT this year since her new Green Rider novella was announced a few days ago (Called SPIRIT OF THE WOOD) and releases on Nov 7th....and I expect Book 8 will follow probably in 2024. I follow her on FB and TikTok and she's super humble and kind and answers questions often. I feel like when it's complete, GREEN RIDER will be able to stand up with the best of the best Epic Fantasy out there.

Really??? Never gave these books a shot because it felt as though Green Rider looked like really old school 80s stuff. Maybe the first volume is like that and then things pick up later in the series? Having messed up with Michelle West, I don't want to feel like a dumbass again.

Regarding West, I have a question for you. Why did you decide to start with the first 3 House War books? Is Jewel's origin story arc that important? I'm thinking of moving on to volumes 4 to 8 in the House War once I'm done with the Sun Sword to find out what happens next. Not really interested in going through another 2000+ pages before I get to the really good stuff!

#28798 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 19 March 2023 - 05:15 PM

pat5150, on 19 March 2023 - 03:56 PM, said:

Received an ARC of the new Gladstone and I would like to know if you think I can read it without having read the entire previous Craft sequence? Think I only read the first two back in the day.

Yeah. Some backstory references will go over your head, but nothing plot-critical to this one. Gladstone says he specifically wrote it as a separate fresh entry point, and you can see it.

And if you've read the first one of the OG sequence, even moreso, as that's the one with the most direct links.

#28799 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 19 March 2023 - 05:32 PM

Almost finished the first of the Dragon Age novels, The Stolen Throne. Wanted a couple of light reads as a palette cleanser after Strange Beasts of China before I join in with the Fellowship read.

It's better than a fair few other novels-from-games that I've tried in the past, if a little obvious, but it's been a fun, quick read and I'll probably read the next one, The Calling, before Fellowship.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 20 March 2023 - 07:12 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#28800 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 March 2023 - 08:16 PM

Finished audiobook of "False Value" and am still loving the series and have started immediately on "Amongst Our Weapons"

Spoilers below:
Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic