• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28761 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 February 2023 - 06:46 PM

View Postamphibian, on 22 February 2023 - 06:20 PM, said:

Better than Lesser Devil - I would go for it.

Noted, and thanks!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28762 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 February 2023 - 07:57 PM

It took me longer than I thought it would, but I finally finished The Ballad of Perilous Graves. Really good. Riotously fun music-based-magic adventure romp through New Orleans. There's one characters I'm not really sure of the point of in the story, though I enjoyed his parts fine, and the rest of it was just a joy.

Kind of interesting how Katrina has kind of become a basis for modern myth-making around New Orleans and Louisiana in general. Not the first time I've seen it (Beasts of the Southern Wild, very obviously, being a fairytale based on that as well).
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#28763 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 March 2023 - 03:20 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 16 February 2023 - 03:02 AM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 17 January 2023 - 05:52 AM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 01 January 2023 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 01 January 2023 - 08:59 PM, said:

Oh boy, is this the first time reading the Laundry Files?

Yep! I found a collected edition (On Her Majesty's Occult Service) at an estate sale a few months ago.

Pausing this for the moment. Lyons' The House Of Always has just arrived!

Finished The House of Always. This was my least favorite of the series (so far) — I don't really like locked-room style stories OR flashbacks. This book was essentially two locked-room stories tied together with many short flashbacks, so basically my most disliked style of narrative.

That said, I still enjoyed it and have the last book in the series on the way!

I started Chambers' A Psalm for the Wild-Built as a palate cleanser.

On to Lyons' The Discord of Gods!

#28764 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 March 2023 - 01:24 PM

Decided to give this Django Wexler guy a chance with THE THOUSAND NAMES....um...why did not one tell me this guy was this good? This is not only hitting the spot with my love of Napoleonic wars-type stuff, but the writing is really compelling.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28765 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 March 2023 - 03:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 March 2023 - 01:24 PM, said:

Decided to give this Django Wexler guy a chance with THE THOUSAND NAMES....um...why did not one tell me this guy was this good? This is not only hitting the spot with my love of Napoleonic wars-type stuff, but the writing is really compelling.

Hah fairly sure multiple people have espoused praise for him on a number of occasions ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28766 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 March 2023 - 03:44 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 March 2023 - 03:39 PM, said:

Hah fairly sure multiple people have espoused praise for him on a number of occasions ;)

Are you saying I don't pay attention!? How dare y.....

Yeah, that's probably accurate. :p

Either way, huzzah for good books!

#28767 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 02 March 2023 - 05:44 PM

Nearly done Deadhouse Gate but really its too difficult to read Erikson when I don't have much reading time. Still it is a brilliant book. I remembered the Felisin parts as much tougher reads and didn't remember how quickly the story moves along from one event to another over the multiple pows. All around brilliant.

It is really nice but there is a big twist a few books in that I think, I wasn't alone in beliving sucks. Finished the series but the first few books are the best part of the series.

This post has been edited by Chance: 02 March 2023 - 05:46 PM

#28768 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 March 2023 - 11:14 AM

Currently about half way through Falcon's Rise by Natalia Richardson - it's about the young life of Anne Boleyn.

But, I bought Strange Beasts of China yesterday so I can join in Book Club when I'm finished :D
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#28769 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 March 2023 - 11:30 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 February 2023 - 09:07 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 06 February 2023 - 07:27 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 February 2023 - 03:39 AM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 03 February 2023 - 04:39 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 02 February 2023 - 05:24 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 February 2023 - 12:19 PM, said:

So

I'm ploughing my way through the Rivers of London series on audiobook and utterly loving it. Currently heading towards the end of FOXGLOVE SUMMER which has possibly been my favourite so far. I picked up (from the library, I've not broken my NY resolution) the dead tree versions of the two novellas, WHAT ABIGAIL DID THAT SUMMER and THE FURTHEST STATION which I understand are the next two chronologically.

Will read them while waiting for my next Audible credit to drop. Does anyone know how many full length novels there are going to be?

As of the latest Rivers of London book, it's completely open. He could write 50 more with the current set up.

The rumor is 500 more.

I don't think Aaronovich has put a timeline on the story, and certainly between Abigail and a few other characters in London, and the foreign agents he's introduced, he's got plenty to work with even if he lets Peter step back from active duty - which seems unlikely in any event.

View PostAptorian, on 03 February 2023 - 05:51 AM, said:

I would read all of them.

Without hesitation. It is such a great series.

Agreed. My initial thought was that maybe he's going to do 10 as Nightingale (the Nightingale?) says it takes about 10 years to become a fully trained wizard but it's kind of veered away from the strict "now I'm in my third year learning I can do these things" that I thought it was going to do.

Now I'm only in book 6 - The Hanging Tree - so I'm not after an actual answer from those who are ahead, but
Spoiler

Anyway, Kobna Holdbrook Smith is a treasure.

I'm now reading/listening to Lies Sleeping and re: the spoilers above,
Spoiler

I have finished Lies Sleeping! Wow, what an ending!

Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28770 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 06 March 2023 - 10:21 PM

I read Inland by Tea Obrecht, because I fancied a Western and it is one. The ending is a bit weird- like she doesn't want to just end it normally and goes for some weird multi-interpretable tie-up- but until then it's very good.

Then I went back to the fantasy haunts, am reading Miles Cameron's Against All Gods, a bronze-age-based epic fantasy. Lot of fun early on- Cameron is good at this stuff. It's a little different from his previous fantasy because he usually starts relatively small and builds up and out, whereas the first chapter here is set in the halls of the gods. But it works.

#28771 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 07 March 2023 - 12:52 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 02 March 2023 - 03:20 AM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 16 February 2023 - 03:02 AM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 17 January 2023 - 05:52 AM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 01 January 2023 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 01 January 2023 - 08:59 PM, said:

Oh boy, is this the first time reading the Laundry Files?

Yep! I found a collected edition (On Her Majesty's Occult Service) at an estate sale a few months ago.

Pausing this for the moment. Lyons' The House Of Always has just arrived!

Finished The House of Always. This was my least favorite of the series (so far) — I don't really like locked-room style stories OR flashbacks. This book was essentially two locked-room stories tied together with many short flashbacks, so basically my most disliked style of narrative.

That said, I still enjoyed it and have the last book in the series on the way!

I started Chambers' A Psalm for the Wild-Built as a palate cleanser.

On to Lyons' The Discord of Gods!

Ripped through it! I love this series, it was so good.

On to Tolkien's little-known series, The Lord Of The Ringz.

#28772 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 March 2023 - 09:24 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 06 March 2023 - 10:21 PM, said:

Then I went back to the fantasy haunts, am reading Miles Cameron's Against All Gods, a bronze-age-based epic fantasy. Lot of fun early on- Cameron is good at this stuff. It's a little different from his previous fantasy because he usually starts relatively small and builds up and out, whereas the first chapter here is set in the halls of the gods. But it works.

Sounds nice, it's probably next in my to read pile. If I get any time to read that is...still only a bit into MoI and its a joy to read when I have the time.

This post has been edited by Chance: 07 March 2023 - 09:24 AM

#28773 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 07 March 2023 - 06:50 PM

Max Gladstone has a new Craft book out? Standalone but also the first book in a new sequence within it? Fuck yes. Think the other stuff is going on hold for a few days.

#28774 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 March 2023 - 08:55 PM

Just Finished STRANGE BEASTS OF CHINA, see the Book Club dead-thread for comments but overall a worthwhile read, very different from my usual.

Also just finished GHOST FLEET and DEVIL TO PAY, books 7 and 8 of THE TIDE mutant zombpocalypse series. More of the same, still fun, 3/4s of DEVIL is basically one long insane action sequence that manages to outdo even some of the crazier stuff from earlier in the series and the zombies get bigger and weirder and the heroes have to get more creative to deal w them. Good fun popcorn that broke up the existantial angst of STRANGE BEASTS very nicely. With grenades.

Next up THE ADVENTURES OF AMINA AL-SIRAFI.... very psyched for this!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28775 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 March 2023 - 01:04 PM

So I've been in kind of a reading funk and have not finished many books that I've started since my mom passed, but I finally started Brandon Sanderson's SKYWARD series, and as I finish up Book 1 it was JUST what the doctor ordered, fast, and pacey with a great set of characters, and some really cool setting stuff. Also, Sanderson is just as compelling in sci-fi as he is in fantasy. Luckily I have the rest of the series and novellas ready to rock in my ToRead pile.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 March 2023 - 01:05 PM

#28776 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 10 March 2023 - 03:06 PM

I'm almost done with Michelle Wst's The Uncrowned King, second volume in the Sun Sword sequence, and this series continues to amaze me! I think it's QuickTidal who was pimping this author and I can't believe I've waited this long to finally read it!

I've been reviewing novels on the Hotlist for nearly two decades, and two installments into a fantasy series only three of them were as good as the Sun Sword: George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, Steven Erikson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen, and Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel sequence. I kid you not, this is some seriously good stuff!

You can read my review of the first installment, The Broken Crown, here.

I believe that lots of Malazan fans in particular could really get into this series. It's different in style and scope, but there are some similarities such as getting thrown into a story in the middle of it, with sprawling and multilayered worldbuilding, and complex characters with fascinating backstories that are unveiled gradually.

Deserves the highest possible recommendation. :The Force:
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#28777 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 March 2023 - 05:04 PM

View Postpat5150, on 10 March 2023 - 03:06 PM, said:

I'm almost done with Michelle Wst's The Uncrowned King, second volume in the Sun Sword sequence, and this series continues to amaze me! I think it's QuickTidal who was pimping this author and I can't believe I've waited this long to finally read it!

I've been reviewing novels on the Hotlist for nearly two decades, and two installments into a fantasy series only three of them were as good as the Sun Sword: George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, Steven Erikson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen, and Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel sequence. I kid you not, this is some seriously good stuff!

I believe that lots of Malazan fans in particular could really get into this series. It's different in style and scope, but there are some similarities such as getting thrown into a story in the middle of it, with sprawling and multilayered worldbuilding, and complex characters with fascinating backstories that are unveiled gradually.

Great series and GREAT volume. Prepare yourself for THE SHINING COURT...it's next level (And I'm only 1/4 of the way through!)

Glad you're enjoying it Pat. :) Also, if you're ever in Toronto, go visit Bakkaphoenix Books where Michelle still part-times, she's really nice and signed all my copies of her books.

#28778 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 March 2023 - 07:03 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 March 2023 - 05:04 PM, said:

View Postpat5150, on 10 March 2023 - 03:06 PM, said:

Great series and GREAT volume. Prepare yourself for THE SHINING COURT...it's next level (And I'm only 1/4 of the way through!)

Glad you're enjoying it Pat. :) Also, if you're ever in Toronto, go visit Bakkaphoenix Books where Michelle still part-times, she's really nice and signed all my copies of her books.

The synergy here is a glorious thing to behold.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28779 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 11 March 2023 - 02:50 AM

Just finished The Uncrowned King tonight and holy shit what a book! And you tell me that The Shining Court is even better! Man, I just want to jump into the next Michelle West novel!

But damn it, C. S. Friedman just sent me the final manuscript of the Coldfire prequel Nightborn and I promised her to read it next!

Read the Sun Sword, folks! Make it a priority!
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#28780 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 11 March 2023 - 10:01 AM

View Postpat5150, on 11 March 2023 - 02:50 AM, said:

Just finished The Uncrowned King tonight and holy shit what a book! And you tell me that The Shining Court is even better! Man, I just want to jump into the next Michelle West novel!

But damn it, C. S. Friedman just sent me the final manuscript of the Coldfire prequel Nightborn and I promised her to read it next!

Read the Sun Sword, folks! Make it a priority!

Sounds amazing, doesn't appear to be on Waterstones so I can't order it in :(

In other reading news, something a little strange happened to me the other day. I'm having a bit of a break from fantasy and am reading various bits I've had in the house for years - some non fiction but predominantly thrillers/crime/murder type things. I tend to pick them up in charity shops usually about 50p so I have a few of them. One of them is a series set in the UK and follows a detective inspector with a dark past etc, serial killers - the usual stuff. I enjoyed the first one I read and went into the next.

The author clearly had not really done any research into how policing operates in the UK and was just using tropes from TV. Now I know that not every police book is going to get every procedure right but in this one there were some things that so obviously could not happen in UK policing, or if they did it lead to a gross misconduct investigation. However in the story it was written as though it was standard procedure and it threw me out so much that I've stopped reading and won't be picking up any of the other ones.

Bit of an odd reason to stop I know but compare it to the Rivers of London series where he's clearly done a lot of research into policing, as it's pretty key to the story. I'm willing to let a lot of stuff slide in the name of poetic or literary license but this felt like he was watching American cop shows while writing it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic