Reading at t'moment?

#28801 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 20 March 2023 - 08:51 AM

Just read book two of the Dark Forrest trilogy by Cixin Liu.

I liked the books I've read so far.

Spoiler

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#28802 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 March 2023 - 01:50 PM

View PostDolmen 2.0, on 20 March 2023 - 08:51 AM, said:

Just read book two of the Dark Forrest trilogy by Cixin Liu.

I liked the books I've read so far.

Spoiler

I really liked the trilogy.

#28803 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:32 PM

Finished The Return of Fitzroy Angursell. Got to be said that as a standalone, it's not as good a book as Hands of the Emperor, just because it's basically just a series of events without much build, an old-fashioned quest novel without much complexity. But then it's not designed as a standalone, and as a grin-generating sequel to that book, it hits the spot perfectly. It's just fun. I'll have to pick up both the sequel to this and the other direct sequel to Hands of the Emperor soon.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#28804 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 March 2023 - 10:24 AM

Read A Brave New World by Huxley yesterday, unsure how I feel about it. I get what (I think I get) what the premise and message is all about, but man the ending is just so abrupt and bleak. Which I guess is part of it, but still.

#28805 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 21 March 2023 - 08:10 PM

Just finished C. S. Friedman's forthcoming Coldfire prequel Nightborn: Coldfire Rising. It's the story of the Founding of Erna up to the First Sacrifice, as the colonists must have a way to gain a measure of control over the fae before it kills them all. The book also includes a revised edition of the novella Dominion, which recounts the tale of Gerald Tarrant he has attempts to master the Forest and becomes the Hunter.

Fans of the Coldfire trilogy will relish the chance to read more stories set in that universe. Friedman is planning a set of novellas exploring the rich history of Erna. This is the first such project and it bodes well for the future.
You can read my full review here​​​​​​​.
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#28806 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 March 2023 - 02:00 PM

View Postpat5150, on 21 March 2023 - 08:10 PM, said:

Just finished C. S. Friedman's forthcoming Coldfire prequel Nightborn: Coldfire Rising. It's the story of the Founding of Erna up to the First Sacrifice, as the colonists must have a way to gain a measure of control over the fae before it kills them all. The book also includes a revised edition of the novella Dominion, which recounts the tale of Gerald Tarrant he has attempts to master the Forest and becomes the Hunter.

Fans of the Coldfire trilogy will relish the chance to read more stories set in that universe. Friedman is planning a set of novellas exploring the rich history of Erna. This is the first such project and it bodes well for the future.
You can read my full review here​​​​​​​.

I am disproportionately happy to read this. COLDFIRE was a series way-too-young-to-understand-it me stumbled upon as it was being released, read and loved, then reread five or so years later and loved more (and also kind of freaked out a bit) and then reread AGAIN as a full blown adult and still loved (even tho book 2 also contributed to my dislike of travelogue slogs in fantasy books). IN CONQUEST BORN was a mindblower and MADNESS SEASON is brilliant. THIS ALIEN SHORE threw me off her books for a while i've been wanting to get back to her work (her MAGISTER trilo sits in the TRPfH) , so this will be an excellent reason.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28807 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 22 March 2023 - 04:59 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 March 2023 - 02:00 PM, said:

I am disproportionately happy to read this. COLDFIRE was a series way-too-young-to-understand-it me stumbled upon as it was being released, read and loved, then reread five or so years later and loved more (and also kind of freaked out a bit) and then reread AGAIN as a full blown adult and still loved (even tho book 2 also contributed to my dislike of travelogue slogs in fantasy books). IN CONQUEST BORN was a mindblower and MADNESS SEASON is brilliant. THIS ALIEN SHORE threw me off her books for a while i've been wanting to get back to her work (her MAGISTER trilo sits in the TRPfH) , so this will be an excellent reason.

The Magister series is nearly as good as the Coldfire books!
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#28808 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 28 March 2023 - 09:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 March 2023 - 05:04 PM, said:

Great series and GREAT volume. Prepare yourself for THE SHINING COURT...it's next level (And I'm only 1/4 of the way through!)

Glad you're enjoying it Pat. :) Also, if you're ever in Toronto, go visit Bakkaphoenix Books where Michelle still part-times, she's really nice and signed all my copies of her books.

Almost done with THE SHINING COURT and hot damn it just might be the best one yet!

For the life of me, I don't know why the Sun Sword isn't better known and not considered one of the best epic fantasy series the genre has ever seen. Granted, I'm just three books into it, but it sure looks as though Michelle West totally sticks the landing. How can this remain what could well be SFF's best-kept secret, I'll never know!

#28809 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 March 2023 - 01:17 PM

Re-read BLOOD PACT and SALVATION'S REACH by Abnett as I was in a WH40k Mood, and while BLOOD PACT remains awesome, SALVATION'S REACH is still only kind of middling as it's really only the opening salvo to an arc that continues in both ANARCH aND WARMASTER and suffers for it. Still though, even middling Abnett is solidly fun.

Started book 3 in the SAGA OF RECLUCE by L.E. Modesitt THE MAGIC ENGINEER, I always get a bit jarred by the tense changes Modesitt employs in some of the Recluce books, but once I adjust I'm fine and this one is already interesting. I like these books for being less a series, and more a sort of fantasy world set of history volumes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28810 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 March 2023 - 01:47 PM

Legends and Lattes followup incoming.

Not sure where to put that but yeah.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28811 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 29 March 2023 - 03:03 PM

Halfway through Against All Gods by Miles Cameron, this is one very excellent book. One of few books that really give a bronze age feeling in the same way his Red Knight books are medieval unlike so much fantasy.

#28812 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 29 March 2023 - 06:43 PM

If I haven't convinced you to try Michelle West's The Sun Sword, you can read my review of the second volume, THE UNCROWNED KING, here.

#28813 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 March 2023 - 02:01 AM

View Postpat5150, on 29 March 2023 - 06:43 PM, said:

If I haven't convinced you to try Michelle West's The Sun Sword, you can read my review of the second volume, THE UNCROWNED KING, here.

QT convinced me a while ago and the complete series is now in my earbook TRP waiting for my next craving for a massive fantasy epic. You moved it up a few notches every time you rave.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28814 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 30 March 2023 - 02:06 AM

View PostAbyss, on 30 March 2023 - 02:01 AM, said:

QT convinced me a while ago and the complete series is now in my earbook TRP waiting for my next craving for a massive fantasy epic. You moved it up a few notches every time you rave.

You could just read it and save me the trouble! :kallor:

#28815 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 March 2023 - 10:10 AM

Abyss doesn't use his eyes these days, he has other people to do things for him and then tell him about it.

He's into aural sex for that very reason.

;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28816 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 March 2023 - 11:20 AM

QT and Pat have convinced me! Book 1 is up next on my earbook list. Not heard of the narrator but I'm ready to settle in for 31 hours of epicness!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28817 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 March 2023 - 11:27 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 March 2023 - 08:16 PM, said:

Finished audiobook of "False Value" and am still loving the series and have started immediately on "Amongst Our Weapons"

Spoilers below:
Spoiler

So, I have now finished all the audiobooks of the Peter Grant/Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. Firstly, Kobna Holdbrook Smith has to be one of the best narrators out there (I put him on a par with Andy Serkis for goodness sake!)

Amongst Our Weapons was a great book,
Spoiler

So I have tried to look but not seen anything about the next novel. I know another novella is coming out soon and as such the world is very much alive but I'd like to know how many he's planning on doing and if he has an endgame in mind.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28818 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 March 2023 - 12:55 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 March 2023 - 11:20 AM, said:

QT and Pat have convinced me! Book 1 is up next on my earbook list. Not heard of the narrator but I'm ready to settle in for 31 hours of epicness!

AH! Enjoy! The denouement in book 1 is JUST SO GOOD.

Free In-World Info:

The Northern Kingdom (the Essaylien Empire; who you won't see as much of in Book 1 as book 2) is like a prototypical European region with kings and queens and noble houses, while the Southern Annagarians (The Dominion) are like if you mixed Feudal Japanese culture with dashes of Middle Eastern culture....and amusingly almost old Italian-sounding names. There is a Tyr (like a Shogun really), and many "Vassal" lord clans under him who answer to him who also run their own realms. You'll get a hang of it as you go along. Don't feel overwhelmed by the dramatis personae either, the ones who are REALLY important, you'll know about.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 March 2023 - 01:12 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28819 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 March 2023 - 12:58 PM

I'm hyped! I'm doing my usual podcast palate cleanser and will be starting it soon!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28820 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 March 2023 - 01:06 PM

Enjoy man. Speaking of, after my latest RECLUCE book is done, I should dive into the 4th book in this series myself!

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users