• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28741 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 February 2023 - 04:06 PM

pat5150, on 09 February 2023 - 04:03 PM, said:

You have a point.

Well, you'll see. I'd suggest waiting for the paperback or an ebook sale, but it will be up to you.

I'm only buying ebooks anyways, so I'll wait for that.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28742 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 February 2023 - 02:34 AM

Good call.

Because as subjective as liking/disliking a book is, you are still only getting about half a novel. So paying full price for Witch King doesn't make a whole lot of sense. . .
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#28743 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 February 2023 - 05:19 PM

Anyone read Tim Power's Anubis Gates?

It started out pretty cool but this uncharismatic dude is stuck in time and I don't really care about his plight.

I'm sorta thinking of dropping the book despite looking for recommended time travel books.

#28744 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 February 2023 - 05:52 PM

Nearly half way into Deadhouse Gate, this Erikson dude and his books are awesome.

Aptorian, on 11 February 2023 - 05:19 PM, said:

Anyone read Tim Power's Anubis Gates?

It started out pretty cool but this uncharismatic dude is stuck in time and I don't really care about his plight.

I'm sorta thinking of dropping the book despite looking for recommended time travel books.

I remember liking it but it might be the ending which is kind of cool, awesome enough that I remember it but it was a long while since I read it.

This post has been edited by Chance: 11 February 2023 - 05:55 PM

#28745 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 February 2023 - 05:28 AM

Finished Arm of the Sphinx (aka Senlin Continues Ascending). So the first one was pretty episodic (kinda-sorta Infinity Train-ish as I expected), but Abyss was right that it more or less leaves that behind. This is maybe a weird thing to say, but book 2 is structurally a lot closer to quest fantasy, with a fellowship and all, just set in a completely atypical milieu. At the very least, it's more of an adventure story. I liked the first one, and I liked this one more. I imagine each of the four books will have its own flavor, which is exciting.
Other recent reads (I'm well above my average for the last few years!):

Paper Girls -- the complete collection. Liked this quite a bit. It has a pretty well organized time travel element, some actually surprising and effective twists, and the characters are all well thought out.

Hello Molly! -- I've never been into audiobooks but I'm dipping my toe into them with memoirs, which is way less intimidating than fiction. I like Molly Shannon's voice, she's very expressive. All of the family stuff in this is good. The section on her early Hollywood days isn't my cup of tea, and the SNL stuff is hit and miss, but 1) it's not gossipy at all, which is good and 2) it comes back around to personal stuff that's all really moving. Also I had forgotten that she preceded the big cast revamp that brought in Will Ferrell, Cheri Oteri, Chris Kattan, and all them. Her reflection on that stuff was among the better show biz stuff in this.
Gender Queer -- a graphic novel memoir that was actually more recent than I was expecting. Maybe cuz of the name I thought it was more foundational -- like nobody had snatched that title up before 2019?? Anyway, I liked it quite a bit and it was more LOL than I was expecting. Some very funny stuff with her high school nerd friends and their LOTR debates. It has its vulnerable bits as well, and I appreciated how frank it was.
Harlem Shuffle -- by Colson Whitehead. I've been meaning to read his stuff for a while, and this is the first one I got my hands on. It's both slice of life and a crime novel, but without any detective angle. More like three linked novellas, with time jumps in between, but it adds up to a pretty compelling whole by the end.
The Graveyard Book 1 & 2 -- this is the Neil Gaiman thing but I read the graphic novel adaptation rather than his book. He didn't adapt it himself. Turned out really cool though, I would have loved this as a middle schooler or thereabouts, and I liked it enough now.

This post has been edited by worry: 14 February 2023 - 05:28 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28746 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:30 AM

Reading "Why I'm no Longer Talking to White People about Race" which is fascinating, uncomfortable, and so tragic all at once.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28747 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 February 2023 - 04:33 PM

Started a really light and airy Sci-fi/Fantasy book called HOW RORY THORNE DESTROYED THE MULTIVERSE by K. Eason, and it's really hitting the spot for me right now. I'll weigh in more after I'm done, but so far this is shaping up to be a great and memorable read.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28748 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 16 February 2023 - 03:02 AM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 17 January 2023 - 05:52 AM, said:

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 01 January 2023 - 10:19 PM, said:

Aptorian, on 01 January 2023 - 08:59 PM, said:

Oh boy, is this the first time reading the Laundry Files?

Yep! I found a collected edition (On Her Majesty's Occult Service) at an estate sale a few months ago.

Pausing this for the moment. Lyons' The House Of Always has just arrived!

Finished The House of Always. This was my least favorite of the series (so far) — I don't really like locked-room style stories OR flashbacks. This book was essentially two locked-room stories tied together with many short flashbacks, so basically my most disliked style of narrative.

That said, I still enjoyed it and have the last book in the series on the way!

I started Chambers' A Psalm for the Wild-Built as a palate cleanser.

#28749 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 February 2023 - 05:16 AM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 16 February 2023 - 03:02 AM, said:

Finished The House of Always. This was my least favorite of the series (so far) — I don't really like locked-room style stories OR flashbacks. This book was essentially two locked-room stories tied together with many short flashbacks, so basically my most disliked style of narrative.

That said, I still enjoyed it and have the last book in the series on the way!...

it was very different from the prior 4 books. I liked it for that reason, but many people have like it less.
Book 5 is a return to form, i think you'll enjoy.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28750 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 February 2023 - 09:07 AM

Tiste Simeon, on 06 February 2023 - 07:27 PM, said:

Abyss, on 06 February 2023 - 03:39 AM, said:

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 03 February 2023 - 04:39 AM, said:

Aptorian, on 02 February 2023 - 05:24 PM, said:

Tiste Simeon, on 02 February 2023 - 12:19 PM, said:

So

I'm ploughing my way through the Rivers of London series on audiobook and utterly loving it. Currently heading towards the end of FOXGLOVE SUMMER which has possibly been my favourite so far. I picked up (from the library, I've not broken my NY resolution) the dead tree versions of the two novellas, WHAT ABIGAIL DID THAT SUMMER and THE FURTHEST STATION which I understand are the next two chronologically.

Will read them while waiting for my next Audible credit to drop. Does anyone know how many full length novels there are going to be?

As of the latest Rivers of London book, it's completely open. He could write 50 more with the current set up.

The rumor is 500 more.

I don't think Aaronovich has put a timeline on the story, and certainly between Abigail and a few other characters in London, and the foreign agents he's introduced, he's got plenty to work with even if he lets Peter step back from active duty - which seems unlikely in any event.

Aptorian, on 03 February 2023 - 05:51 AM, said:

I would read all of them.

Without hesitation. It is such a great series.

Agreed. My initial thought was that maybe he's going to do 10 as Nightingale (the Nightingale?) says it takes about 10 years to become a fully trained wizard but it's kind of veered away from the strict "now I'm in my third year learning I can do these things" that I thought it was going to do.

Now I'm only in book 6 - The Hanging Tree - so I'm not after an actual answer from those who are ahead, but
Spoiler

Anyway, Kobna Holdbrook Smith is a treasure.

I'm now reading/listening to Lies Sleeping and re: the spoilers above,
Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28751 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 February 2023 - 10:32 AM

GF got me a new copy of Before They Are Hanged and I've been surprised to discover from it that there's been like 4 new Abercrombie books in the setting since I last checked (Red Country). Looks like a feast is coming up :)
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#28752 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 February 2023 - 10:39 AM

Gothos, on 21 February 2023 - 10:32 AM, said:

GF got me a new copy of Before They Are Hanged and I've been surprised to discover from it that there's been like 4 new Abercrombie books in the setting since I last checked (Red Country). Looks like a feast is coming up :)

Our grumpy Polish friend is alive! How are you?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28753 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 February 2023 - 10:47 AM

Tiste Simeon, on 21 February 2023 - 10:39 AM, said:

Gothos, on 21 February 2023 - 10:32 AM, said:

Our grumpy Polish friend is alive! How are you?

Better than ever :) How's married life?

This post has been edited by Gothos: 21 February 2023 - 10:56 AM

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#28754 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 February 2023 - 04:24 PM

Tiste Simeon, on 21 February 2023 - 09:07 AM, said:

So

I'm ploughing my way through the Rivers of London series on audiobook and utterly loving it. Currently heading towards the end of FOXGLOVE SUMMER which has possibly been my favourite so far. I picked up (from the library, I've not broken my NY resolution) the dead tree versions of the two novellas, WHAT ABIGAIL DID THAT SUMMER and THE FURTHEST STATION which I understand are the next two chronologically.

Will read them while waiting for my next Audible credit to drop. Does anyone know how many full length novels there are going to be?

As of the latest Rivers of London book, it's completely open. He could write 50 more with the current set up.

The rumor is 500 more.

I don't think Aaronovich has put a timeline on the story, and certainly between Abigail and a few other characters in London, and the foreign agents he's introduced, he's got plenty to work with even if he lets Peter step back from active duty - which seems unlikely in any event.

Agreed. My initial thought was that maybe he's going to do 10 as Nightingale (the Nightingale?) says it takes about 10 years to become a fully trained wizard but it's kind of veered away from the strict "now I'm in my third year learning I can do these things" that I thought it was going to do.

Now I'm only in book 6 - The Hanging Tree - so I'm not after an actual answer from those who are ahead, but
Spoiler

Spoiler

re Lesley...
SPOILERS RE RIVERS OF LONDON SERIES UP TO LIES SLEEPING
SPILERS
SPOILERS
MASSIVE SPOILERS
SPOILERS YOU FOOLS SPOILERS

Spoiler

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28755 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 22 February 2023 - 01:37 AM

Abyss, on 21 February 2023 - 04:24 PM, said:

So

The rumor is 500 more.

Spoiler

Spoiler

re Lesley...
SPILERS
SPOILERS
MASSIVE SPOILERS

Spoiler

Even more spoilers for Rivers of London

Spoiler

#28756 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 February 2023 - 07:36 AM

Gwynn ap Nudd, on 22 February 2023 - 01:37 AM, said:

Abyss, on 21 February 2023 - 04:24 PM, said:

So

The rumor is 500 more.

Spoiler

Spoiler

re Lesley...
SPILERS
SPOILERS
MASSIVE SPOILERS

Spoiler

Even more spoilers for Rivers of London

Spoiler

I guess I never thought about it like that and now you've mentioned it, you're very right.

I'm still annoyed but not enough that it's ruining the series for me, still very much enjoying it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28757 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 February 2023 - 04:41 PM

...and just like that, I'm in for the whole series.

EMPIRE OF SILENCE by Christopher Ruocchio (Sun Eater series, book 1)

Look, I've heard a lot of things thrown around about Christopher Ruocchio's recent successful SUN EATER series...the most humbling of which (To the author himself) would be "Sci-Fi has found its Brandon Sanderson"....I assume for both readability, and pumping out novels one after the other like a machine.

I've seen a few minor complaints (most seemed to indicate that at least the beginning of the first book is a little NOTW mixed with DUNE...I get the DUNE comparison [but only in VERY broad strokes] but the NOTW comparison is only because it's someone narrating their early life and how they ended up the legendary mythic figure they became by telling the story of how they got there)....but nothing that would lead me astray, in fact more books even mildly similar to DUNE (as this is) is only a good feature to me.

But I found a reviewer (from the UK) who pretty much nailed how I feel (bearing in mind I'm only at the 30% mark of book 1 so far...but good gods is it driving me to read on; pacey AF):

What starts out, as has been said by other reviewers, as a sci-fi Name of the Wind crossed with Dune (mentat equivalents, family atomics, more besides), becomes a little more than that. Dune? Try every sci-fi and fantasy influence between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Even just names. I'm tempted to read it again to find the references that I missed. Everything is in here. It's like geek gumbo. Mysterious old Earth, check. Aliens, check. Mysterious god like aliens we meet through archaeology, check. Magic swords, check. Sword fights, check. Free and poor to rich and trapped, check. Jack-the-lad enjoyable employment of every other trope I could think of. Maybe it was intentional. Maybe it was the result of the glorious bath of geekdom we can revel in these days. Whatever.

You'd think I hated it having read that description. No. It was like eating cake. Good cake. Actually, maybe the best stew you've ever had, a sci-fi cassoulet compendium, a geek gumbo. Nothing in here is going to shake the pillars of the earth but damn I was looking forward to getting on the Underground to work so I could read some more, and I was sad when it ended.

So, leave off notions of originality and of literary criticism, read some cake. It's one of those books.

I concur, eat some fucking CAKE man. It's damned fine cake, and I'm going to want to eat all the cakes now.

EDIT: Just did a search, and it appears I'm late to the damned party, and some of you knew about these already! Anyways, 5 books and 2 novellas is lotsa reading ahead of me!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 February 2023 - 04:47 PM

#28758 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 February 2023 - 04:53 PM

The Sun Eater books are great and I'm waiting for the next one eagerly. However, do not buy or read The Lesser Devil novella thing. It's badly not up to the quality of the other books and gets very Jesus-y.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28759 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 February 2023 - 05:21 PM

amphibian, on 22 February 2023 - 04:53 PM, said:

The Sun Eater books are great and I'm waiting for the next one eagerly. However, do not buy or read The Lesser Devil novella thing. It's badly not up to the quality of the other books and gets very Jesus-y.

Oh good to know, how about QUEEN AMID ASHES?

Also, I had no idea it was more than 5 books....didn't know a 6th was on the way! Exciting.

#28760 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 February 2023 - 06:20 PM

Better than Lesser Devil - I would go for it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users