• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#26401 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:32 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 July 2020 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 15 July 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

Started and finished Peace Talks...
I really really really need Battle Ground

Further confirming for me that I should wait to read both once BATTLE GROUNDS is out.

Its a Dust of Dreams - Crippled God situation.

#26402 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

Finished STREAMS OF SILVER...it was decent, but not quite as good as Shard, taking a Drizzt break now to dive into other stuff...

and now I'm reading Leigh Bardugo's short story collection for Grishaverse folk tales, THE LANGUAGE OF THORNS: MIDNIGHT TALES & DANGEROUS MAGIC, and so far its wonderful. A really whimsical, but dark take on this type of book. Honestly, this is what TALES OF BEEDLE-BARD would be if Rowling had ever let herself make the HP folk tales be real dark as they usually are at their core, instead of too light and fluffy.

Sidebar: Man, I'm deep into being a hardcore Leigh Bardugo Grishaverse fan...In October, they are releasing THE LIVES OF THE SAINTS (THE ISTORII SANKT'YA) in hardcover. It started life as a prop for the Grishaverse TV show that's coming to Netflix, but the publisher made it into an account book full of info and images about the Saints. So I nabbed the shit out of that pre-order....and then they are also re-releasing the first Grisha book SHADOW & BONE in a fancy slipcase hardback edition and I nabbed that too. LOL. I'm a fanboy it appears. Oh, and a portion of the proceeds go to LGBTQ comnunities from both pre-orders, so that's cool too.

She is fast becoming one of my favourite authors of all time and has a place on my forever shelf. Amusingly her work sits between Tolkien and LeGuin. High fantasy company.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 July 2020 - 12:08 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26403 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:04 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 16 July 2020 - 04:20 AM, said:

Starting Peace Talks. I wish this dumb Malazan reread hadn’t slowed my role on the Dresden reread which I only got up to bk 4 on. Let’s see how the meats processes this jumping in cold after the yrs long completion since Skin Game.

So far so good as of paragraph 1 lol.

So, if you hop over to the Butcher subforum there is a spoiler-free discussion where a couple of members did a great job summarizing a lot of the major events that left characters where they currently are plotwise.

#26404 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:28 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 16 July 2020 - 09:27 PM, said:

View PostJPK, on 16 July 2020 - 03:04 PM, said:

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 16 July 2020 - 04:20 AM, said:

Starting Peace Talks. I wish this dumb Malazan reread hadn’t slowed my role on the Dresden reread which I only got up to bk 4 on. Let’s see how the meats processes this jumping in cold after the yrs long completion since Skin Game.

So far so good as of paragraph 1 lol.

So, if you hop over to the Butcher subforum there is a spoiler-free discussion where a couple of members did a great job summarizing a lot of the major events that left characters where they currently are plotwise.

Which thread? I see a Peace Talks spoiler free one but ain’t entered yet.

That's the one. It's safe. Obviously, don't click on a spoiler tag.

As for myself, I finished Peace Talks yesterday and I am now around the halfway mark on The Rhesus Chart. Tons of golden lines in this one.

#26405 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:41 AM

This....
https://www.reddit.c.../wiki/narrative

...is surprisingly good.
THE INTERFACE.
Story told in reddit posts. Some nice Lovecraft elements, creepy at times, very clever at times. Entirely free.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26406 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:17 PM

Finished Peace Talks. I am in the minority in that I like Dresden, but don't love it, and this book did not change that. I do like what happened at the end though, and am looking forward to the next book.

#26407 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

View PostT77, on 18 July 2020 - 12:17 PM, said:

Finished Peace Talks. I am in the minority in that I like Dresden, but don't love it, and this book did not change that. I do like what happened at the end though, and am looking forward to the next book.

I'd agree with that. Maybe my tastes have changed over time but I didnt get the same hit as for previous ones.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#26408 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

Thirded. Enjoyable enough but I think I'll give it the chance when Battle Grounds lands to see if I like it more reading both together.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#26409 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

Nearly done with Dark Age and well, I'm not sure I really like it. Some sections are awesome in a way few series ever are but others depend too much on stupidity and technological gimics, can't really decide if it was good or not.

This post has been edited by Chance: 19 July 2020 - 07:09 PM

#26410 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:13 AM

View PostChance, on 19 July 2020 - 07:08 PM, said:

Nearly done with Dark Age and well, I'm not sure I really like it. Some sections are awesome in a way few series ever are but others depend too much on stupidity and technological gimics, can't really decide if it was good or not.

Which parts depend on stupidity?
...use spoiler blocks pls...

#26411 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:13 AM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 20 July 2020 - 02:25 AM, said:

Not reading any of the Dresden threads but I have to wonder if I’m alone at the 100 page mark if I’m thinking to myself “ok hurry up and getting going now Butcher!”?

I’m very meh about now which really fucking sucks after this years long wait.

Stop whining, keep reading.

#26412 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:10 AM

View PostAbyss, on 20 July 2020 - 04:13 AM, said:

View PostChance, on 19 July 2020 - 07:08 PM, said:

Which parts depend on stupidity?
...use spoiler blocks pls...

Lots of parts really and individually sure but basically everyone of the main characters get hodwincked into the horrendous places they end up by being really really stupid.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Chance: 20 July 2020 - 06:22 PM

#26413 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:40 PM

So I finished The Return of the Incredible Exploding Man
This was such a strange book
Think Peter Clines' The Fold, only its from an external perspective and very little happens for 50% of the book. Basically the protagonist is on the outside trying to find out what's going on. Then weird things start happening and Boom! it all explodes in your face

#26414 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:02 PM

I started a debut from earlier this year, The Unspoken Name by AK Larkwood. Really quite good so far. It's another young-lady-coming-of-age-in-strenuous-circumstances type dealio of the kind we've seen a few of lately, albeit in this one she doesn't go to a magic school or anything. Bit of Planescape: Torment (it's got a very cool world/s setup), bit of personal-political maneuvering, bit of Indiana Jones weirdly enough, tightly written with engaging characters.

A quick scan sees it recommended quite a lot for lovers of Gideon the Ninth. I've not read that yet so I can't speak to the comparison but a few people seem to think it's got comparisons to that but less hyperviolent and I know this board liked that one.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#26415 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 July 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

I started a debut from earlier this year, The Unspoken Name by AK Larkwood. Really quite good so far. It's another young-lady-coming-of-age-in-strenuous-circumstances type dealio of the kind we've seen a few of lately, albeit in this one she doesn't go to a magic school or anything. Bit of Planescape: Torment (it's got a very cool world/s setup), bit of personal-political maneuvering, bit of Indiana Jones weirdly enough, tightly written with engaging characters.

Looked this up...this sounds fucking dope...I'm gonna grab it. I's only $14 on kindle...let's see if we can give this the double stamp, shall we PG?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26416 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:03 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 July 2020 - 07:27 PM, said:

Looked this up...this sounds fucking dope...I'm gonna grab it. I's only $14 on kindle...let's see if we can give this the double stamp, shall we PG?

Fingers crossed. The rarest of the rare.

I hope I've not gone too early since I'm only like a third of the way through but yeah it's a very promising start.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#26417 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:30 AM

Just finished up Stross' The Annihilation Score. I've been staying out of the ded-thread to avoid spoilers, but this one left me fairly dissatisfied, and I've really been enjoying the series up until this entry. Does the series get back on track after this one?

Next up is a Banks fix with Excession.

This post has been edited by JPK: 24 July 2020 - 06:32 AM

#26418 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:07 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 July 2020 - 08:03 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 July 2020 - 07:27 PM, said:

Fingers crossed. The rarest of the rare.

I hope I've not gone too early since I'm only like a third of the way through but yeah it's a very promising start.

This does sound gpod... Waiting to see if it gets the double stamp before getting myself!

#26419 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:29 AM

View PostJPK, on 24 July 2020 - 06:30 AM, said:

Just finished up Stross' The Annihilation Score. I've been staying out of the ded-thread to avoid spoilers, but this one left me fairly dissatisfied, and I've really been enjoying the series up until this entry. Does the series get back on track after this one?

Yes, absolutely, and I think that most would agree with your assessment. While Annihilation may have been a miss, the next three are great and raise all the stakes.

#26420 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:33 AM

View PostJPK, on 24 July 2020 - 06:30 AM, said:

Yes very much so, the Annihilation Score is the weakest entry by far and The Nightmare Stacks which is the next one is probably one of the strongest if not the strongest. The next two after that aren't as strong as the Nightmare Stacks but they are pretty good.

Reading the Storm of Heaven third in the Oath of Empire series, a comfortable re-read in papper as I have the time (and the audiobook version I've got are shit) during summer vacation in between building car engines for fun and the rather rare sunny day.

This post has been edited by Chance: 24 July 2020 - 10:47 AM

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook