#26421 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:55 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 July 2020 - 08:03 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 July 2020 - 07:27 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 July 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

I started a debut from earlier this year, The Unspoken Name by AK Larkwood. Really quite good so far. It's another young-lady-coming-of-age-in-strenuous-circumstances type dealio of the kind we've seen a few of lately, albeit in this one she doesn't go to a magic school or anything. Bit of Planescape: Torment (it's got a very cool world/s setup), bit of personal-political maneuvering, bit of Indiana Jones weirdly enough, tightly written with engaging characters.

Looked this up...this sounds fucking dope...I'm gonna grab it. I's only $14 on kindle...let's see if we can give this the double stamp, shall we PG?

Fingers crossed. The rarest of the rare.

I hope I've not gone too early since I'm only like a third of the way through but yeah it's a very promising start.

Not helping my TRP here, a$$hole$.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26422 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:07 PM

Just finished PEACE TALKS, will dedthread that.

Resumed EMPIRE OF GOLD yesterday...

Yknow that feeling when even tho you're familiar with an author and are 100% certain the crash is coming, they do it in a way that knocks you sideways... and then they do it again, and again.

Well, that. Chakarabortay has this lovely talent for steadily engaging the reader in the characters and then abruptly catapulting us kicking and screaming back into the bigger fantasy story to blow our minds.

#26423 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:14 PM

View PostChance, on 20 July 2020 - 07:10 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 20 July 2020 - 04:13 AM, said:

View PostChance, on 19 July 2020 - 07:08 PM, said:

Nearly done with Dark Age and well, I'm not sure I really like it. Some sections are awesome in a way few series ever are but others depend too much on stupidity and technological gimics, can't really decide if it was good or not.

Which parts depend on stupidity?
...use spoiler blocks pls...

Lots of parts really and individually sure but basically everyone of the main characters get hodwincked into the horrendous places they end up by being really really stupid.

Spoiler

Just my nsho, but complete answer to your points amounts to
'a. Bribes, b. Politics, c. Underestimating clever opponents'... but ok, that's your take, it's not wrong. If a-c didn't come into play it would have been a pretty boring book, i think.

#26424 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 July 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

I started a debut from earlier this year, The Unspoken Name by AK Larkwood. Really quite good so far. It's another young-lady-coming-of-age-in-strenuous-circumstances type dealio of the kind we've seen a few of lately, albeit in this one she doesn't go to a magic school or anything. Bit of Planescape: Torment (it's got a very cool world/s setup), bit of personal-political maneuvering, bit of Indiana Jones weirdly enough, tightly written with engaging characters.

Looked this up...this sounds fucking dope...I'm gonna grab it. I's only $14 on kindle...let's see if we can give this the double stamp, shall we PG?

I hope I've not gone too early since I'm only like a third of the way through but yeah it's a very promising start.

Not helping my TRP here, a$$hole$.

Well I finished up and it was a lot of fun and you should read it, if that helps.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#26425 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:12 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 July 2020 - 03:47 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 24 July 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

Not helping my TRP here, a$hole$.

Well I finished up and it was a lot of fun and you should read it, if that helps.

Posted Image

#26426 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:08 PM

To be fair since Baco Xtath left most of y'all never seem to have the same taste in books as me so I'll take the shot at getting you to read something I rave about. :p

(I know I know, I exaggerate)

#26427 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:27 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 July 2020 - 08:08 PM, said:

To be fair since Baco Xtath left most of y'all never seem to have the same taste in books as me so I'll take the shot at getting you to read something I rave about. :p

(I know I know, I exaggerate)

Are you the person who reads Nick Perumov in Russian and can thus progress past Godsdoom (the only English translation yet)?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26428 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

Yeah it's not me. I'm the guy who could read Sapkowski and Lem in Polish but for some reason never have (well, I've read some Lem).

#26429 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 July 2020 - 03:14 PM, said:

'a. Bribes, b. Politics, c. Underestimating clever opponents'... but ok, that's your take, it's not wrong. If a-c didn't come into play it would have been a pretty boring book, i think.

I agree that it would be a boring book and a lot of it can be explaine through a-c just can't really find it in myself to find it plausible that some supposedly intelligent people get into the situations they do, they simply make Sefi, Darrow and Virginia seem like idiots which they shouldn't be because the plot requires it to work its kinda of sloppy writing.

And I still enjoyed large parts of the book just not to the extent of the earlier installments.

This post has been edited by Chance: 24 July 2020 - 09:10 PM

#26430 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 July 2020 - 03:06 AM

View PostChance, on 24 July 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 24 July 2020 - 03:14 PM, said:

I agree that it would be a boring book and a lot of it can be explaine through a-c just can't really find it in myself to find it plausible that some supposedly intelligent people get into the situations they do, they simply make Sefi, Darrow and Virginia seem like idiots which they shouldn't be because the plot requires it to work its kinda of sloppy writing.

And I still enjoyed large parts of the book just not to the extent of the earlier installments.

Not idiots, but faced w intelligent opponents in complex difficult situations. Part of what I enjoy in the Red Rising series is that the 'bad guys' are damn effective.

We're really just arguing degrees of enjoyment tho even if I'm right and you're wrong.

#26431 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:09 PM

Finished Jim Butcher's 16th Dresden Files book, Peace Talks. As always a fast paced, well written book full of action and great characters. I enjoyed it greatly but after a five year pause a lot of flaws are now more apparent.

It seems like most of the suspense and plot revolves around Dresden either not being told vital information or Dresden withholding information because he thinks ignorance is protection.

It's also yet another book in many where Dresden remarks he just hasn't had time to do this or that, or study this or that form of magic because reasons.

He's also super powerful now but not really actually because plot, etc.

I feel like Butcher created a formula early on that he really should have broken Dresden out of by now.

Still, great to return to the series and I can't wait for for part 2 this fall.

Back to Return of the Crimson Guard.

#26432 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 July 2020 - 01:24 AM

I’m fucking behind on the reread...almost done HoC...I’ll be skipping the ICE parts though, so I should be able to barrel through MT and BH before the end of August...wish me luck.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26433 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 26 July 2020 - 02:33 PM

About 2/3 done with The Bonehunters.

Taking a quick break to pick up Ball & Enjeti's The Populist's Guide To 2020. It's gotten positive reviews from Andrew Yang AND Tucker Carlson AND Glenn Greenwald. I don't know anything about it beyond that, but if it can bring such opposing forces together, then I want to check it out.

#26434 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:54 AM

Finished my HoC reread, still love it,

Rolling right into MT trying to catch up the re-readers.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26435 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 July 2020 - 01:54 AM, said:

You're ahead of me. I just started GotM. Like the 3rd or 4th time I've read it. It gets better with each read. And Erikson is so good he ruins all other fantasy for me.

#26436 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:06 PM

I am currently reread TtH
It really does get better every time

#26437 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:39 PM

View PostT77, on 29 July 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 July 2020 - 01:54 AM, said:

You're ahead of me. I just started GotM. Like the 3rd or 4th time I've read it. It gets better with each read. And Erikson is so good he ruins all other fantasy for me.

View PostAndorion, on 29 July 2020 - 06:06 PM, said:

I am currently reread TtH
It really does get better every time

Yes, very much agreed on the ones I've re-read before...

And hell, MT is a completely different book when you know WTF is going on and how it connects to everything else. My full Malazan re-reads before this always stalled out around HoC so this is probably my first real time re-reading MT and beyond...so this is a new experience for me...but yeah, just being clued into how everything works and how everyone is in the grand scheme makes this SO rewarding. I recall the first time reading it being like "WTF are all these people, why is everything different?" and for whatever reason not clueing in to Trull basically ending HoC telling this story...

Anyways, yeah, 100pages already and it's solidly great of course.

#26438 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:28 PM

Man every time I've read Malazan it gets better. Even the bits I previously hated, in now love.

In other news I've started rereading the entirety of Dresden. I'll hopefully be finished in time for Battlegrounds and I can read Peace Talks and that one together.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26439 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:48 PM

Everyone says the books get better on a reread, and I wish I could relate. I've never read a book that got better on a reread, except possibly Deadhouse Gates which I didn't really enjoy the first time. I think a lot of my enjoyment comes from imagining the potential of where the story might go, and that's all gone on a reread.

#26440 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:31 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 29 July 2020 - 09:02 PM, said:

Yep but Malazan is full to the brim with finger snap moments you can't pick up on a 1st read. So you know where the story is going already but you get to really see how it gets there.

Indeed.

The bit from MOI where
Spoiler

There are a tonne of those moments in the series.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 30 July 2020 - 04:08 AM
Reason for edit: SPOILER... yes, i know, but even so....

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users