• You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#26361 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:58 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 June 2020 - 01:02 PM, said:

Reading ONE PIECE manga from the start. It's going to be a long journey, but I've already blitzed through the first 2 volumes in about an hour, so not too long. I thought I liked the anime of this story, but man the manga is even better!

Jeez man. That's one hell of a commitment.

Anyway what am I reading right now? My own second novel. For proof edits round one. Someone kill me I wanna die
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#26362 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:37 AM

I just started Paternus: War of Gods by Dyrk Ashton, which is huge and gonna derail my Goodreads challenge. I'm waiting for a physical copy to come by mail so I can switch to it and then I'm going to start Swarm and Steel by Michael R. Fletcher on my kindle.

I recently read and enjoyed:
Rage of Dragons - Evan Winter
Faithless - Graham Austin-King
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#26363 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:29 AM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 08 July 2020 - 03:37 AM, said:

I just started Paternus: War of Gods by Dyrk Ashton, which is huge and gonna derail my Goodreads challenge. I'm waiting for a physical copy to come by mail so I can switch to it and then I'm going to start Swarm and Steel by Michael R. Fletcher on my kindle.

I recently read and enjoyed:
Rage of Dragons - Evan Winter
Faithless - Graham Austin-King

Rage of Dragons is great.
For the moment I am concentrating on finishing my reread of Midnight Tides. I might join in on the forum reread later.

#26364 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:07 AM

Belly of the Bow, book 2 of K.J. Parker’s Fencer Trilogy

What the fuck did I just read

#26365 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 08 July 2020 - 11:07 AM, said:

The worst uncle in the history of ever.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#26366 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:13 PM

I still have it on my TRP.
But Malazan reread is really fucking with my trp

#26367 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:18 PM

In a bit of a marathon of reading, I finished my re-read of Dragonlance War Of Souls trilogy. There's a LOT to really like about it...and mostly it's the stuff that people who wanted more Chronicles didn't like...it pushes a lot of new characters forward into the spotlight, and does some challenging things to old ones...but it never felt overwrought. I liked that the new Solamnic Knight character isn't' just Sturm Brightblade 2.0....he's got his own personality and traits and I felt Weis and Hickman went out of their way to really make the new characters like Gerard shine.

I think my only problem with the entire trilogy boils down to this:

Spoiler

Other than that, this was a wonderful and different series from both Chronicles and Legends. I was interested enough in the new characters to buy CONUNDRUM (about the titular gnome who hangs out at the Citadel of Light), WIZARDS OF THE CONCLAVE (about Jenna, Dalamar and everyone reacting to the loss of magic), and THE LIONESS (about Kerianseray and how she meets and marries Gilthas).

Anyways, I'm on an old D&D kick now, so I've decided to finally get into Faerűn with Forgotten Realms (AKA the D&D book series that Wizards of the Coast DIDN'T abandon) and have begun my journey with the most well known Drow in SFF, Drizzt....THE CRYSTAL SHARD is solid so far, light and fun. I LOVE Drizzt so far too...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26368 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:22 PM

Will be interested to see what you make of Salvatore's books. I'm just not sure whether to give them a go - I like Dragonlance so the light and fun fluff aspect isn't necessarily a problem, but at the same time I'm nostalgic about Dragonlance so not sure how I'd feel about approaching such fluff new.

Also, I re-read War of Souls last year and agree with all that, particularly your point in the spoiler tags!
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#26369 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

View PostMacros, on 08 July 2020 - 01:13 PM, said:

I really have to start Parker soon .
Either Fencer or Engineer

#26370 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 July 2020 - 01:18 PM, said:

In a bit of a marathon of reading, I finished my re-read of Dragonlance War Of Souls trilogy. There's a LOT to really like about it...and mostly it's the stuff that people who wanted more Chronicles didn't like...it pushes a lot of new characters forward into the spotlight, and does some challenging things to old ones...but it never felt overwrought. I liked that the new Solamnic Knight character isn't' just Sturm Brightblade 2.0....he's got his own personality and traits and I felt Weis and Hickman went out of their way to really make the new characters like Gerard shine.

I think my only problem with the entire trilogy boils down to this:

Spoiler

Other than that, this was a wonderful and different series from both Chronicles and Legends. I was interested enough in the new characters to buy CONUNDRUM (about the titular gnome who hangs out at the Citadel of Light), WIZARDS OF THE CONCLAVE (about Jenna, Dalamar and everyone reacting to the loss of magic), and THE LIONESS (about Kerianseray and how she meets and marries Gilthas).

Anyways, I'm on an old D&D kick now, so I've decided to finally get into Faerűn with Forgotten Realms (AKA the D&D book series that Wizards of the Coast DIDN'T abandon) and have begun my journey with the most well known Drow in SFF, Drizzt....THE CRYSTAL SHARD is solid so far, light and fun. I LOVE Drizzt so far too...

The Crystal Shard by Salvatore is book 4. Is that where you started? I've only read the first 3.

#26371 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:55 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 08 July 2020 - 01:22 PM, said:

Will be interested to see what you make of Salvatore's books. I'm just not sure whether to give them a go - I like Dragonlance so the light and fun fluff aspect isn't necessarily a problem, but at the same time I'm nostalgic about Dragonlance so not sure how I'd feel about approaching such fluff new.

I've read some of his Demon Wars stuff and I quite liked it, and I find he does action scenes REALLY well.

And yes, I was 100% a Dragonlance kid too, so the nostalgia for that series is strong in me.

It's actually been looking into Dragonlance and the issues with TSR and WotC and how and why it became defunct that lead me to trying FORGOTTEN REALMS...

Insider baseball for anyone who cares:

Spoiler

I'l let you know how I enjoy the FR books, but I already enjoy Salvatore so that may have a bias. After this I might check out Erin M. Evans books about a female Tiefling protagonist.

Oh, and I've also been warned off anything by the guy who started FR, Ed Greenwood as his stuff is reportedly really bad...but a bunch of other authors have been praised, like Salvatore, Paul Kemp and others.

View PostT77, on 08 July 2020 - 01:54 PM, said:

Anyways, I'm on an old D&D kick now, so I've decided to finally get into Faerûn with Forgotten Realms (AKA the D&D book series that Wizards of the Coast DIDN'T abandon) and have begun my journey with the most well known Drow in SFF, Drizzt....THE CRYSTAL SHARD is solid so far, light and fun. I LOVE Drizzt so far too...

The Crystal Shard by Salvatore is book 4. Is that where you started? I've only read the first 3.

The Homeland/Menzoberanzzan books didn't interest me as much (and they were actually written later than the Icewind Dale books; they just chronologically take place earlier), so I read the summaries of them as I don't enjoy books that take place entirely in caves/underground as I have trouble picturing the locale...the story in them seemed interesting based on those summaries, but I'm getting way more out of the Icewind Dale books because they concern more than just the Drow.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 July 2020 - 02:02 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26372 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:36 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 July 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 08 July 2020 - 01:22 PM, said:

I've read some of his Demon Wars stuff and I quite liked it, and I find he does action scenes REALLY well.

And yes, I was 100% a Dragonlance kid too, so the nostalgia for that series is strong in me.

It's actually been looking into Dragonlance and the issues with TSR and WotC and how and why it became defunct that lead me to trying FORGOTTEN REALMS...

Insider baseball for anyone who cares:

Spoiler

I'l let you know how I enjoy the FR books, but I already enjoy Salvatore so that may have a bias. After this I might check out Erin M. Evans books about a female Tiefling protagonist.

Oh, and I've also been warned off anything by the guy who started FR, Ed Greenwood as his stuff is reportedly really bad...but a bunch of other authors have been praised, like Salvatore, Paul Kemp and others.

View PostT77, on 08 July 2020 - 01:54 PM, said:

The Homeland/Menzoberanzzan books didn't interest me as much (and they were actually written later than the Icewind Dale books; they just chronologically take place earlier), so I read the summaries of them as I don't enjoy books that take place entirely in caves/underground as I have trouble picturing the locale...the story in them seemed interesting based on those summaries, but I'm getting way more out of the Icewind Dale books because they concern more than just the Drow.

Yeah, they were just OK. I had no desire to read further, but maybe I'll give it a shot. I've read a few Salvatore books and I find them just slightly better than mediocre. I prefer the Weiss and Hickman books, the few that I've read.

#26373 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:45 PM

Since I'm skipping this month's reread of RotCG, I'm taking the opportunity to jump into Kellanved's Reach and get caught back up. I'm super excited cause of all the (mostly) positive buzz you have all given this one.

#26374 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:48 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 08 July 2020 - 12:50 PM, said:

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 08 July 2020 - 11:07 AM, said:

I had heard that Parker was dark, but I didn't really believe it until now. It's weird, these books could almost be PG-13. There are no F-bombs or graphic sex scenes, and they're fairly lighthearted. And then this happens.

#26375 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:20 PM

I think skipping the Menzoberrazen books is a bad idea if you like Drizzt and the Icewind Dale books. I think they're actually better than the Icewind books.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26376 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:24 PM

View Postamphibian, on 08 July 2020 - 05:20 PM, said:

I think skipping the Menzoberrazen books is a bad idea if you like Drizzt and the Icewind Dale books. I think they're actually better than the Icewind books.

I read the summaries, and I disagree? I got the gist of them, but I LOATHE under dark stuff. I'm happy with how I've handled it.

Not to say those books aren't good, I just have very little interest in Drizzt underground with his people and reading a summary of why and how he left, is fine for me.

#26377 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:32 PM

View PostAndorion, on 08 July 2020 - 01:50 PM, said:

I'm loving 16 WAYS TO DEFEND A WALLED CITY at the moment so I'm willing to go for other stuff he's written.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26378 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:17 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 July 2020 - 05:32 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 08 July 2020 - 01:50 PM, said:

I'm loving 16 WAYS TO DEFEND A WALLED CITY at the moment so I'm willing to go for other stuff he's written.

I loved that and Folding Knife, so I think I will like the rest.

His basic approach to storytelling and worldbuilding works for me.

#26379 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:35 AM

Just Finished book 5 of Campbell's LOST FLEET: BEYOND THE FRONTIER and thus, the series.
Very satisfying series... min one awesome space battle per book, usually two or more. The last two books' engagements were ridiculously rivetting.
Campbell worked in way more worldbuilding and character dev this time and it utterly paid off. If you read and enjoyed LOST FLEET, i reco this.

Now a chapter into Shannen Chakarabortay's Daevabad trilo bk 3, EMPIRE OF GOLD, earbook.
It's SO. DAMN. GOOD.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26380 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:45 AM

View PostAbyss, on 09 July 2020 - 02:35 AM, said:

Just Finished book 5 of Campbell's LOST FLEET: BEYOND THE FRONTIER and thus, the series.
Very satisfying series... min one awesome space battle per book, usually two or more. The last two books' engagements were ridiculously rivetting.
Campbell worked in way more worldbuilding and character dev this time and it utterly paid off. If you read and enjoyed LOST FLEET, i reco this.

Now a chapter into Shannen Chakarabortay's Daevabad trilo bk 3, EMPIRE OF GOLD, earbook.
It's SO. DAMN. GOOD.

I loved Beyond the Frontier as well. Great continuation, well imagined aliens
How would you rate the Daevabad series as a whole? been meaning to take a look at it

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users