• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good Audiobooks?

#1 User is online   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 May 2022 - 10:08 PM

I want to try out audiobooks, and was trying to find narrated versions of Cook's Garrett, P.I. books. Sadly, I don't think they exist.

In light of that, what other audiobooks do people recommend?

#2 User is online   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 04 May 2022 - 02:15 AM

I started Aaronovitch's Rivers of London.

#3 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 04 May 2022 - 05:54 AM

Good choice with Rivers of London! Here's my top 10 in no particular order. Not necessarily the best books I've ever read, but they worked well in audio format for me:
  • Gormenghast
  • Rivers of London
  • Hyperion Cantos
  • Riyria Revelations
  • Broken Earth
  • Discworld
  • Harlan Ellison's version of Wizard of Earthsea
  • Dresden Files
  • Red Rising
  • Powder Mage

#4 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 May 2022 - 08:27 AM

Audio books?

I cast "Summon Abyss".

*vast black hole appears*

Bugger.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#5 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 May 2022 - 11:22 AM

You should, and I cannot emphasise this enough, get both parts of the Sandman audiobooks. They're less novels and more towards a full dramatic adaptation but they are freaking unbelievable.

Do it now.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 May 2022 - 04:46 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 04 May 2022 - 08:27 AM, said:

Audio books?

I cast "Summon Abyss".

*vast black hole appears*

Bugger.

Sorry, sorry, that damn Dr Strange premiere had me rearranging all the subdimensions....

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 May 2022 - 11:22 AM, said:

You should, and I cannot emphasize this enough, get both parts of the Sandman audiobooks. They're less novels and more towards a full dramatic adaptation but they are freaking unbelievable.

Do it now.

This is accurate. The Sandman books - there are two so far, more to come - are likely the bestiest earbook production of the last few years. Strictly speaking, these are full cast plus sound fx audioplay adaptations of graphic novels, not strictly earbooks where the book text is read by a narrator, but that's a detail, go buy them.

As a general rule, if it's a good book, it's a good audiobook. There are exceptions, but few that i've run into and usually the issue is the book, not the narrator or cast. Most narrators are pretty darn great, and looking back at my last few years where 85% of my reading is audiobook, i can only point to two where the 'ear' aspect actually ruined it for me, Annie Leckie's Ancilliary Justice, and Kevin Hearn's Iron Druid series, and even in the case of Hearn, i've ear'd many many other books with the same narrator and he's great, so i suspect that was a production issue more than anything (ie: someone required him to do an Irish Wolfhound voice like Odie from Garfield, and that all Jews come from NYC and all Asians have the same accent regardless of country of origin).

Three i trust without hesitation: Ray Porter (also he's Darkseid so shut up and do as he says), Kate Reading, and Michael Kramer (the latter two are also married and frequently work together). Not coincidentally, Porter does most of Peter Clines' books, all of which are fantastic in earbook, and Kate and Michael do all of Sanderson's books, but less high profile and worth your time and money, Victoria Schwab's DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC series.

RIVERS OF LONDON/PETER GRANT is a great series to ear, Kobna Holbrook-Smith has those characters absolutely nailed and when i read the comics i still hear his voices.

James Marsters absolutely nails the voices in DRESDEN which is weird to me because he's Spike from Buffy, but even so.

Most of https://www.graphicaudio.net/ 's catalog shows up on Audible sooner or later, but their series' sales and discounts are constaly revolving and typically equal less than the comparative cost of an Audible credit. Most of their books/productions the last few years are full cast + sound fx productions, unabridged from the books (ie just as a 'normal' earbook) but they add a lot of fun to the product. Their sales are perpetual so just ignore anything that seems stupidly priced for a week or two and it comes down... yeah i don't love that way of selling either but it's what they do. Their production of Belcher's GOLGOTHA series was glorious, and i've been very enjoying their versions of Blackmore's necromancer ERIC CARTER series.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 May 2022 - 06:07 PM

Sorry, James Marsters does Dresden?

I know there's like a million of them and I have them all on Kindle but dang if I'm not tempted to start that whole series again on Audible...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 May 2022 - 07:39 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 May 2022 - 06:07 PM, said:

Sorry, James Marsters does Dresden?

I know there's like a million of them and I have them all on Kindle but dang if I'm not tempted to start that whole series again on Audible...

Same same. He's a really good narrator too, once you overlook that he's faking the accent and hiding his teeth.

(... yes, yes, i know Marsters is an American actor and not in fact a British vampire.... probably....)

#9 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 07 May 2022 - 03:13 AM

I'd add The Lot Lands trilogy by Jonathan French and the John Dies at the End books to Abyss' list above.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 May 2022 - 01:40 PM

View PostJPK, on 07 May 2022 - 03:13 AM, said:

I'd add The Lot Lands trilogy by Jonathan French and the John Dies at the End books to Abyss' list above.

Seconded re Lot Lands, the narrators just nail the voices and povs.

JOHN DIES is good, i debate whether the humour works better in text vs narrative.

#11 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:28 PM

I vaguely recall the forum was gushing about a certain World War Z edition. I believe it employs the voice acting chops of some heavy hitters. Is that a correct recollection by me? or am I thinking of something else?

#12 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:25 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 May 2022 - 01:28 PM, said:

I vaguely recall the forum was gushing about a certain World War Z edition. I believe it employs the voice acting chops of some heavy hitters. Is that a correct recollection by me? or am I thinking of something else?

I loved the WWZ audiobook, it was a really well produced and acted version of a book I already loved.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:42 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 May 2022 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 May 2022 - 01:28 PM, said:

I loved the WWZ audiobook, it was a really well produced and acted version of a book I already loved.

Seconded without hesitation.

#14 User is online   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 02 August 2022 - 11:30 PM

Do the Bobiverse books work well in earbook? I see Ray Porter does their narration.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:58 AM

Haven't read those, but I will say Porter narrates Peter Clines' books (except his most recent) and is excellent.

#16 User is online   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 04 August 2022 - 06:19 AM

I ended up starting the Iron Druid books. The dog's voice doesn't bother me. Unfortunately, Kobna did such a great job with the Peter Grant books that the Iron Druid narration seems much less distinctive and memorable so far.

#17 User is online   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 August 2022 - 02:18 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 04 August 2022 - 06:19 AM, said:

I ended up starting the Iron Druid books. The dog's voice doesn't bother me. Unfortunately, Kobna did such a great job with the Peter Grant books that the Iron Druid narration seems much less distinctive and memorable so far.

This series is boring. Going to try Schwab's Darker Shade of Magic instead.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 04 November 2022 - 07:16 PM

#18 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 November 2022 - 02:39 PM

Seems Andy Serkis is recording an audio version of the Silmarillion. So I'm going to hold off getting that book until he's done it! I'm sure the other guy is fine but I love me some Serkis!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 November 2022 - 02:50 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 November 2022 - 02:39 PM, said:

Seems Andy Serkis is recording an audio version of the Silmarillion. So I'm going to hold off getting that book until he's done it! I'm sure the other guy is fine but I love me some Serkis!

From what I understand, the last recording of an audio version of THE SILMARILLION was Martin Shaw in 1998, and as such was recorded non-digitally and put on CD, so the existing Audio for it would suffer from that transfer would be lesser than it could....so a brand new recording with Serkis (the consummate voice actor!) in digital form would be ideal I would think.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#20 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 November 2022 - 03:07 PM

Yep that's the one I was going to get but I'll hold off for now!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users