Malazan Empire: Good Audiobooks? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good Audiobooks?

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 November 2022 - 03:10 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 November 2022 - 03:07 PM, said:

Yep that's the one I was going to get but I'll hold off for now!

I should note, it's not that Martin Shaw did a bad job. He's excellent from what I hear....the problem lay in transferring an analog recording to digital, you get all kinds of weird hiccups and echoes that would not be able to be cleaned up.

A new digital recording will simply be superior.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:49 PM

So I'm a bit lost with audiobook choices now. I recently finished ROTK as narrated by Andy Serkis and the whole trilogy was perfection. I'm considering doing some other Tolkein stuff eventually but at the moment I'm a bit on pause with it all.

I do have The Heroes and BSC by Abercrombie but I'm not sure I'm feeling that at the moment (despite loving the audio version of The First Law trilogy).

I've listened to everything else in my library. I have 4 credits. Reading back through this thread makes me want to get the Rivers of London series. I think I read the first two books a while ago but I would essentially be starting afresh.

However there's, like over 9000 books in that series and I've only got 4 credits. Hmm... Thoughts?

Oh, and obviously I've caught up with Sandman Act 3.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 27 November 2022 - 09:52 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 November 2022 - 02:32 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 November 2022 - 09:49 PM, said:

So I'm a bit lost with audiobook choices now. I recently finished ROTK as narrated by Andy Serkis and the whole trilogy was perfection. I'm considering doing some other Tolkein stuff eventually but at the moment I'm a bit on pause with it all.

I do have The Heroes and BSC by Abercrombie but I'm not sure I'm feeling that at the moment (despite loving the audio version of The First Law trilogy).

I've listened to everything else in my library. I have 4 credits. Reading back through this thread makes me want to get the Rivers of London series. I think I read the first two books a while ago but I would essentially be starting afresh.

However there's, like over 9000 books in that series and I've only got 4 credits. Hmm... Thoughts?

RIVERS in not a bad choice. The narrator Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is excellent.
Another is the DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC trilo by Victoria Schwab. They use Reading and Kramer, the same narrators who did WoT and TSA and it is a pleasure to listen to them work with something a little edgier.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 28 November 2022 - 03:30 AM

Rivers of London is excellent! Go for it and you will not be disappointed!

#25 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:51 AM

View PostAbyss, on 28 November 2022 - 02:32 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 November 2022 - 09:49 PM, said:

RIVERS in not a bad choice. The narrator Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is excellent.
Another is the DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC trilo by Victoria Schwab. They use Reading and Kramer, the same narrators who did WoT and TSA and it is a pleasure to listen to them work with something a little edgier.

Hmm the only Schwab book I have read is Addie La Rue which was excellent so I'm interested in that!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:52 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 28 November 2022 - 03:30 AM, said:

Rivers of London is excellent! Go for it and you will not be disappointed!

Yeah I remember really enjoying them when I did intimately read them.

Argh decisions!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:23 AM

Use your credits on the more expensive ones and then buy the cheaper ones. You're gonna want them all!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:58 AM

All the Discworlds.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#29 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:00 PM

I normally don't do audio books preferring to read but I've got into them lately for the gym. Just finished a full listen through of all the Dresden books, they were really fun in that version, James Marsters is epic as Harry Dresden.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#30 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:29 PM

I've downloaded the first Rivers of London book.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#31 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:13 PM

View Postchamp, on 28 November 2022 - 08:00 PM, said:

I normally don't do audio books preferring to read but I've got into them lately for the gym. Just finished a full listen through of all the Dresden books, they were really fun in that version, James Marsters is epic as Harry Dresden.

Yeah so this sounds amazing but there's already like 17 books and I have all of them on Kindle so I feel while I'd love to listen to this I'd rather save my credits for books or series I've never read (yes I know I've admitted to reading the first 2 Rivers of London books but that doesn't count. I've read Dresden numerous times!)

But, then again it is Spike...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 November 2022 - 02:24 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 November 2022 - 10:13 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 28 November 2022 - 08:00 PM, said:

Yeah so this sounds amazing but there's already like 17 books and I have all of them on Kindle so I feel while I'd love to listen to this I'd rather save my credits for books or series I've never read (yes I know I've admitted to reading the first 2 Rivers of London books but that doesn't count. I've read Dresden numerous times!)

But, then again it is Spike...

He's excellent and sounds nothing like Spike.

#33 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 December 2022 - 01:54 PM

Oh my goodness you guys Rivers of London audiobook is just amazing! I liked the books a fair amount when I read them a while back but now I LOVE them and I've not even finished book 1! Kobna Holbrook Smith is a brilliant narrator and he really brings the story to life!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#34 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 December 2022 - 03:02 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 November 2022 - 02:32 AM, said:

RIVERS in not a bad choice. The narrator Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is excellent....

View PostTiste Simeon, on 09 December 2022 - 01:54 PM, said:

Oh my goodness you guys Rivers of London audiobook is just amazing! I liked the books a fair amount when I read them a while back but now I LOVE them and I've not even finished book 1! Kobna Holbrook Smith is a brilliant narrator and he really brings the story to life!

I do not lie.

....except for when i'm lying....

#35 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 December 2022 - 03:16 PM

1 Abyss always tells lies and 1 Abyss always tells the truth, but there's only 1 Abyss. Solve this riddle.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#36 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:45 PM

I've been listening to the first installment of Expeditionary Force by Craig Alanson. It's narrated by some guy named R.C. Bray.

The first book is included in Audible premium membership and, to be honest, I've been kinda looking at it a bit askance, thinking that it's just some kind of self-published drivel that some dude in a trailer, or something, scribbled together from various cereal boxes and somehow it became just popular enough to be made an audiobook.

But I broke down Wednesday and started the first one.

HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS, but it is funny.

It's not very original, probably a bit derivative and it definitely has a bit of "Humanity Fuck Yeah" air about it. But it's funny. The Sci-fi is good, but not something you won't have read before.

But the story, the story is pretty damned good, plus the two protagonists are fucking hilarious. It's "stupid funny" and not high-intellectual funny.

Maybe it's because I'm a simpleminded guy, but it's funny as hell. So if you're a simpleminded guy, or girl, like me, then I think you will like it.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#37 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 December 2022 - 06:21 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 09 December 2022 - 05:45 PM, said:

I've been listening to the first installment of Expeditionary Force by Craig Alanson. It's narrated by some guy named R.C. Bray.

The first book is included in Audible premium membership and, to be honest, I've been kinda looking at it a bit askance, thinking that it's just some kind of self-published drivel that some dude in a trailer, or something, scribbled together from various cereal boxes and somehow it became just popular enough to be made an audiobook.

But I broke down Wednesday and started the first one.

HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS, but it is funny.

It's not very original, probably a bit derivative and it definitely has a bit of "Humanity Fuck Yeah" air about it. But it's funny. The Sci-fi is good, but not something you won't have read before.

But the story, the story is pretty damned good, plus the two protagonists are fucking hilarious. It's "stupid funny" and not high-intellectual funny.

Maybe it's because I'm a simpleminded guy, but it's funny as hell. So if you're a simpleminded guy, or girl, like me, then I think you will like it.

Strangely enough they also get better along the way. Tried the series on random chance a few months ago and they get even more hillarious along the way with some really fun aliens after a few books.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users