• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sport (merged thread)

#81 Guest_Brick Tamland_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:52 PM

Hedge said:

AJ for Engerland!!!!!!

Andy Johnson is one of the top English strikers but he won't make the squad because Sven likes some lanky waste of space (Peter Crouch)

I think England will mess up badly which will be sad but at least we can get a new manager then.

There are two or three strikers better than Andy Johnson, should've chosen Poland for his best chance really.

And err yes Nigeria and Cameroon not to go far at all, instead go Ivory Coast :D

#82 Guest_Hedge_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:09 PM

Brick Tamland said:

There are two or three strikers better than Andy Johnson, should've chosen Poland for his best chance really.

And err yes Nigeria and Cameroon not to go far at all, instead go Ivory Coast :D

I'll give you Rooney as a better striker but that's it. For most of last season he was the top English striker in the premiership

#83 User is offline   megaphage 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:32 PM

Mezla PigDog said:

Wayne Rooney is pure scum. There's no denying the fact! And I'm from the red side of Manchester (yes there is one!).

Wayne Rooney = COUNCIL FACE!

#84 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:08 PM

England won't leave the group
as we won't as well

champs? Brazil, nothing more to say there. headlong for their 6th.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#85 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:09 PM

StormofHeaven said:

Yea. Especially when Japan and Korea made it so far.

blurred behind referee scandals.
Japan vs Russia?
S. Korea vs Spain?

doh!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#86 User is offline   Malarion 

• Malarion
  • Interests:Reading...writing...drinking

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:24 PM

Probably a European team. The competition is in Europe and only once has a team from outside its boundaries won on its soil.

Possibly Holland, although I'd never rule out Germany or France.
Can't see England doing it. Over-rated, if you ask me.

Brazil always have a chance, but because its in Europe...can't see it. Nor with the Argies, although either would be worthy champions.

#87 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:55 PM

the bowler will bowl from the bowling crease see image above. their is one batsman at eache wicket.

Theirs eleven players but since you must bat with a partner when 10 are out the other tems turn to bat

#88 User is offline   cruz1701 

• Captain

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:42 PM

The bowler can bowl from either end of the field, off hand I can't remember what causes the change apart from preferance due to ground conditions.

The fielding team do about as much wandering about as baseball fielders do :D. All depends on the bowler and batter. Unlike baseball there is contact with the ground which causes all manner of cunfusing things (moddelling the flight of a cricket ball is probably the most difficult things with regard to modelling the behaviour of sports, mainly due to the ground effect, and the seems and how worn the ball and ground are, also how well polished one side is :D, plus if someoen like ).

There are a lot of cricket fielding positions but this site has a pretty picture and I can't be bothered/don't know enough to describe them.

http://www.abcofcric...2/cfb3/cfb3.htm

How fast are baseballs thrown generally incidentally?

#89 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:33 PM

dktorode said:

its weird nobody's made fun of cricket!
with the five day game and all!
I like it though
well done to England with the ashes bye the way.
Its about bloody time!!!

Cricket Sucks. I came home from the US and everyone was all "Yay. Cricket is the best thing ever." And I was all. "As if. you have never liked Cricket. Why now? Just cos we finally won something? Just a minor mistake on the Aussie parts no doubt..."

Rodeo - Baseball is amazing! Cubs never do well though! :D And the Angels WILL win the World Series next year... :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#90 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:39 PM

Wayne Rooney is a complete idiot... However when on form, he can provide top calss football, and could prove to be our saviour in the world cup. Yes I truly believe we have a chance. Slim, admittedly, but it is there... :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#91 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:37 AM

Cricket for dummies:
You have two teams. One team comes out to bat. At this stage, they are in. When a batsman gets out, he goes in, and another man come out to be in. When 10 men have been out and gone in, the team is all out, so go in to have a break. Then they come out to try and get the other team out for less than they reached. And then they all go home:D

Cricket doesn't suck:p And yes, I've been a fan for a long time before this ashes series;)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#92 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:55 AM

Gothos said:

blurred behind referee scandals.
Japan vs Russia?

Too true. The sending off of that Russian goalie was one of the worst decisions I've seen in a long time. And I watch highlights of every premiership match, so I see a lot of bad refereeing decisions.

AJ for England? Hardly. I would pick Rooney, Owen, Bent, Defoe, Dean Ashton, Jason Roberts, Marlon Harewood, and possibly even Heskey ahead of AJ. He's a great player, but he can't play in a team enough. Rooney and Owen is a perfect attacking partnership. We have the talent to win it, but not the teamwork or the morale. Since losing to France in the Euros, we've been a completely different team. Gerrard and Lampard can't work together, so don't force them to. As has been said, Erikson has been trying to cram his best 11 players into a team, instead of trying to find players to work in natural positions. The recent introduction of Ledley King (as a spurs fan, i'm exstatic for him. The guy is undoubtably one of the best defenders in the premiership) has opened the door for players like Carrick and Parker to fit into a team where they would undoubtably find themselves at home.
Mind you, we still have a left sided problem, with Downing obviously not ready to step up to the mark:(

We're not gonna win it. Thats obvious. But as long as we don't get humiliated, thats fine;)

But then again, the same could be said for the vast majority of the teams in the World Cup. Talent, but unable to unlock it's full potential.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#93 Guest_Hedge_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:58 AM

@Brood. Wash your mouth out boy!!!!

You've got to be kidding me. Jason Roberts and Marlon Harewood, those two well known goal machines? Dean Ashton is good but he's not having such an impressive second season. Darren Bent started well but has gone right off the boil. AJ is quick and deadly plus he's consistent.

I'm not even going to dignify the Heskey remark with an answer.

You're right that we're not goign to win it though. Shame as we have the makings of a good team but poor tactics tend to let us down.

#94 Guest_Brick Tamland_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:19 AM

Hedge said:

I'll give you Rooney as a better striker but that's it. For most of last season he was the top English striker in the premiership

How many were penalties? 11 out of the 21?? Owen and Defoe are better strikers than Johnson any day of this week or the next 52 million. I'd have Carlton Cole before I'd have Johnson too and even Darren Bent.

England will qualify from their group, if all the players reach their potential and play to their best form then there are few teams in Europe who can match England, only really Brazil and Argentina have the players to out do England but not since World Cup 90 or Euro 96 have all England players found their form and done well.

It's all about getting the right formation and making tough decisions as a manager and Sven has proved on several occasions that he isn't capable. He's turned into Sir Clive Woodward in that regard, blind faith in players whose form hasn't been of an international standard. Messrs Ferdinand and Beckham

#95 Guest_Hedge_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:27 AM

Brick Tamland said:

How many were penalties? 11 out of the 21?? Owen and Defoe are better strikers than Johnson any day of this week or the next 52 million. I'd have Carlton Cole before I'd have Johnson too and even Darren Bent.

True he had a few penalties but most of them were won by him running at the defences and scaring them. We don't have enough players who are willing to take people on. It's another dimension that I think the England team is missing. We are plain just too slow most of the time.

I think Wright Phillips should be playing on the right for exactly the same reasons.

#96 Guest_Brick Tamland_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:34 AM

Hedge said:

True he had a few penalties but most of them were won by him running at the defences and scaring them. We don't have enough players who are willing to take people on. It's another dimension that I think the England team is missing. We are plain just too slow most of the time.

I think Wright Phillips should be playing on the right for exactly the same reasons.

Running and falling over?? Wasn't he accussed of diving a few times??

Were I England manager this would be my team:

Robinson
Campbell Terry Woodgate
Wright Phillips Ashley Cole
Parker/King
Gerard Lampard
Rooney
Owen

3-5-2 all the way with Cole and WP to get forward as often as possible with Parker/King dropping back to offer the back 3 support as and when they need it. Gerard and Lampard to push forward and support Rooney supplying Owen. Again they can then drop back condensing the midfield and Gerard can ping those 40-50 yard balls over the top as is his want.
SUBS:
Kirkland
Ferdinand
G.Neville
Parker/King depending on who plays
J.Cole
Defore
Bent
There. We've just won the World Cup! :D

#97 User is offline   garden_rake 

• First Sword

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:29 AM

Brick Tamland said:

Running and falling over?? Wasn't he accussed of diving a few times??

Were I England manager this would be my team:

Robinson
Campbell Terry Woodgate
Wright Phillips Ashley Cole
Parker/King
Gerard Lampard
Rooney
Owen

3-5-2 all the way with Cole and WP to get forward as often as possible with Parker/King dropping back to offer the back 3 support as and when they need it. Gerard and Lampard to push forward and support Rooney supplying Owen. Again they can then drop back condensing the midfield and Gerard can ping those 40-50 yard balls over the top as is his want.
SUBS:
Kirkland
Ferdinand
G.Neville
Parker/King depending on who plays
J.Cole
Defore
Bent
There. We've just won the World Cup! :D

not bad, not bad...... :D

my only reservations would be - WP has not been used in any kind of defensive position at city, chelski or england, so regardless of how good he is going forward the right flank will be exposed more often than not, allowing a good winger to cause a fair amount of problems - possible answer is gary neville- who at the very least can cross a ball...

no Becks? he's been playing really well for madrid this season and dropping the captain - sven doesnt think so im sure

oh and woodgate's injured/possibly dead again so not much hope for him - shame

#98 Guest_Hedge_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:31 AM

That was an unfair tag he got. I went to a lot of games last seaosn and he just terrified defences.

My England team:

Robinson
Young, Terry, Campbell, A Cole
Wright Phillips, Gerrard, Lampard, J Cole
Owen, Rooney

4-4-2

Subs:
Kirkland
Ferdinand, G Neville
King, Beckham, Richardson
Defoe/Ashton, Johnson

#99 Guest_Brick Tamland_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:01 AM

garden_rake said:

not bad, not bad...... :D

my only reservations would be - WP has not been used in any kind of defensive position at city, chelski or england, so regardless of how good he is going forward the right flank will be exposed more often than not, allowing a good winger to cause a fair amount of problems - possible answer is gary neville- who at the very least can cross a ball...

no Becks? he's been playing really well for madrid this season and dropping the captain - sven doesnt think so im sure

Yes but the point being you have another defender to push out onto the wings to stop crosses coming in, plus King/Parker can cover where necessary with either Gerard/Lampard offering more support.

Everyone thought Ashley Cole couldn't defend but during Euro 2004 he kept Ronaldo in his pocket. Sven shouldn't be afraid to try new things, although i'm the biggest fan of 4-4-2 i don't think the players we have can play that way. All successful teams are built upon having a holding midfielder.
Chelsea
Arsenal
Manure
Real Madrid (before they sold Makele & Redondo)
Liverpool
Barcelona
Milan etc etc
Yet Lampard and Gerard both push forward, plus Lampard can't tackle for toffee so one of the two has to go. And i think Gerard is by far and away the better player.

He may well be having a good season at Madrid but he's recent international form has been poor, he's deliberate yellow card against Wales and subsequent admission to it was stupid in the extreme, he's too temperamental so I think either Sol/Terry as captain or Stevie G/Lamps. We can't have plan A and no plan B so these friendlies should be a chance to give SWP, Woodgate if he comes back from the dead, Young, Bridge, Kirkland, Defoe. Carrick, Parker their chance to get used to international football.

And no Crouch. Ever again. For a big man he's got a terrible touch and if he wasn't 17ft tall wouldn't have a hope of getting in the team.

#100 Guest_Hedge_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:08 AM

Yeah no Crouch is one thing we definitely agree on. He's useless

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users