• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sport (merged thread)

#121 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:50 PM

"Throwing" is illegal in cricket. You have to "bowl" the ball. The arm of the bowler cannot bend more than 15 degrees during delivery of the ball.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#122 User is offline   cruz1701 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:40 PM

Well still seems a lot, but hawk eye can't be questioned :D

The way its done in cricket you put a lot more momentum into the ball from the run up, all you basically do is lean in baseball isn't it? (Over generalisation I know, but there just isn't a huge run up).

#123 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:26 PM

Beckham is still a world class player. He gets a lot of stick from the media, but he's undoubtably one of the best players we've got. Just unpopular.

Its just a shame Danny Mills is ignored nowadays:( He was one of our best players in the Japan/Korea world cup...

Robinson
Neville Terry Campbell A. Cole
King
Beckham Lampard Wright-Phillips
Rooney Owen

Subs:
James
Ferdinand
Young
Gerrard
J. Cole
Bent
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#124 Guest_Brick Tamland_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:08 PM

caladanbrood said:

Beckham is still a world class player. He gets a lot of stick from the media, but he's undoubtably one of the best players we've got. Just unpopular.

Its just a shame Danny Mills is ignored nowadays:( He was one of our best players in the Japan/Korea world cup...

Robinson
Neville Terry Campbell A. Cole
King
Beckham Lampard Wright-Phillips
Rooney Owen

Subs:
James
Ferdinand
Young
Gerrard
J. Cole
Bent

Name the last game Beckham actually showed his true class? Wales at Old Trafford I'd say and even then the goal made his performance rather than his overall contribution. His last big big tournament? WC98, he was non existant Euro 2000 and one penalty in WC 2002 isn't doing it on the big stage. No-one should be exempt from being dropped, including Beckham.

Danny Mills is diabolical and too much of a loose cannon, at least Rooney has ability to excuse his disgraceful behaviour, Mills has no excuse. He is toilet.

#125 Guest_Brick Tamland_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:19 PM

Pitching - It's pretty much twist from the waist and catapult the ball out gaining maximum power, speed etc.

Bowling has to come over the top of the arm, like a sort of windmill motion so releasing the ball at the correct time is key depending on the type of ball being bowled.

These are for fast bowlers only really:

Bouncer - pitching short and rearing up at the batsman, taken at head height by the wicketkeeper
Yorker - pitched on a full length into the 'block hole' basically right at the feet of the batsman so he has little room to move and is taken by surprise due to the full length nature of the bowl
Full toss - Basically waist height and doesn't bounce at all
Beamer - Above waist height and bloody dangerous
Swing bowling - Causing the ball to move either away or into the batsman depending on the grip used usually bowling a length that reaches the batsman about thigh height, the movement causing him to play at a ball he thinks he can hit yet moving away and catching an edge to w/k or slips
Seam bowling - Bouncing on the seam of the ball and pretty much going straight on at varying speeds, although movement can be achieved not to the same degree as swing bowling

Not all of these have to be bowled at 80mph+, sometimes a fast bowler will use a slower ball, round about 60mph as it leaves his hand to deceive the batsman, like the slower ball in pitching basically, it's disguised in the bowlers run up so the batsman has to preempt the slower ball

Spin bowling has many variations, the main two being off spin and leg spin. I don't know enough about it and the nuances to go into great detail (what was that? a collective sigh of relief!!!) :D

#126 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:50 PM

Brick Tamland said:

Name the last game Beckham actually showed his true class? Wales at Old Trafford I'd say and even then the goal made his performance rather than his overall contribution. His last big big tournament? WC98, he was non existant Euro 2000 and one penalty in WC 2002 isn't doing it on the big stage. No-one should be exempt from being dropped, including Beckham.

You obviously don't watch La Liga. But, if you're gonna ignore domestic form... hell, drop Ashley Cole, drop Gerrard, drop Lampard, drop Owen. When was the last time Gerrard played a blinder for England?

#127 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:55 PM

OK, so it was a fairly low scoring match - Wales 11 Fiji 10. Fiji were definitely the better players for most of the match, and Wales only just scraped the win. However the Millenium Stadium is a marvellous venue and I really enjoyed the match.
And I decided Rugby would be more fun with Baseball bats involved! :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#128 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:15 AM

Since when was Danny Mills any good? :confused:
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#129 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:17 AM

I wasn't saying he's good now. But he was very good at the last World Cup. But now he's not. Was, but is no longer. Get it?:D

#130 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:18 AM

Oooh, I'm gonna love watching the Aussies rip 'em apart:D

#131 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:48 AM

caladanbrood said:

Oooh, I'm gonna love watching the Aussies rip 'em apart:D

*wishes he had £50 to watch along*
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#132 Guest_Brick Tamland_*

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:07 AM

caladanbrood said:

I wasn't saying he's good now. But he was very good at the last World Cup. But now he's not. Was, but is no longer. Get it?:D

You said it was a shame Danny Mills was being ignored nowadays which would suggest you think he still has something to offer the England team. So that means you think he was good at the last World Cup and is still good now. Get it?

#133 User is offline   StormofHeaven 

• Corporal

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:48 AM

I personnally always thought Beckam was overrated and Owens underrated. Owens played off the bench last year with Madrid and still scored something like 11 goals. Italy will take it. Tons of good players Gatuso, Zambrotta, Cannavaro, NEsta, Del Piero is a great team. And they work well together. Italys problem has always been the coaching. Their defensive style they favor is terrible. It never wins it for them against fast teams like Korea and Brazil.With Maldini gone I think they got a good shot.

#134 Guest_Tuftie 27_*

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:16 PM

oooh, looks like the aussies match might not go how you expect brood, if england can beat them...

@Tiste: it wa the lure of talking about rugby that enticed back, for a little while ;)

#135 Guest_Rheanar Delh\'Suhn_*

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:06 AM

cricket is a great game, i play on a team at uni, theres never a dull moment, especially if you happen to be a bowler, or wicketkepper.

it is awfully complicated, you dont even wanna go into the details of the lbw rule, unless you really wanna know, but only umpires care about that anyway, i bowl off-spin (means i make it spin to away from the legs of a right handed batsmen) n shout generally for anything that hits a pad. Bowling is all about how you hold the ball when you bowl, and what you do to it as u release it, eg ya can make it bounce by holding along the seam (sticthed bits for people who dont know) and flick it with the fingers as u release. can get swing that way too. spin is harder to get right, and everyone does it different. i use my first finger to spin the seam so it bounces parallel to the crease.

beamers are damn dangerous, i took one to the side once, cracked 3 ribs, the most pain ever. catching the damn ball wrong hurts like hell as well.

anyone who is interested i can probably make a nice little diagram of the field and the names of the fielding positions

#136 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:45 AM

You're right. Though it was a pretty decent England performance:)
The real indicator for the match will be the Aus v Ireland game, IMHO.

#137 Guest_Izz_*

Posted 15 November 2005 - 05:32 PM

Sonnyboy said:

Ah, so you're one of the inferiority complex type Americans, huh? You're wrong. American football and baseball are pretty much tied for being the two greatest sports ever devised by man. I'm not one of those Canadians that secretly desires to be American, nor am I one of the anti-American Canadians. There much good and much bad about your country. But football and baseball, two typically American sports, are awesome. REALLY friggin awesome.

Basketball is okay, but it's a joke compared to baseball and football.

Exactly. You got me down. BASEBALL ISN'T THE MOST BORING SPORT EVER. GOOD ONE.

I'D RATHER PLAY HORSESHOES!! OR PIN THE TAIL ON THE DONKEY! NOW THERE'S A SPORT FOR YOU!

Baseball the best sport devised by man? You must have a stupidity complex, you douche. YOU'RE WRONG.

#138 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:23 PM

Izz said:

Exactly. You got me down. BASEBALL ISN'T THE MOST BORING SPORT EVER. GOOD ONE.

I'D RATHER PLAY HORSESHOES!! OR PIN THE TAIL ON THE DONKEY! NOW THERE'S A SPORT FOR YOU!

Baseball the best sport devised by man? You must have a stupidity complex, you douche. YOU'RE WRONG.

;)

#139 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:43 PM

That post was so subtle, I didn't even pick up the insults until I re-read it.
Impressive.

And I hate basketball. Mostly because I suck at playing it. I always get pissed off and end up body-checking the bloody fast little buggers who are weaving and deking around me. Yeah, dribble that, jackass.;)

#140 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:53 PM

I'm actually hoping Wales win against South Africa on Saturday - I have a south african friend here in Wales who is going to see the match (he is a South African fan first, Welsh second, England last apparently...) And if SA lose... I shall of course do my best to never ever shut up about it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic