• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sport (merged thread)

#61 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:55 AM

I thought I did? Maybe not.

Okay, it's hard to explain, cause I'm making it up as I go along. Football is not a game of constant movement. It moves in fits and starts. The key to appreciating the sport is to understand what happens not only during the action, but between plays. The quarterback will attempt to give the ball to one of four or five different guys on the next play, and the defense needs to figure out who that's going to be. And every man on the field has a different role to play, moreso than in any other sport except baseball. I could go into detail about the intricacies of each position, but that would take forever. But it's fascinating to watch them play their position well. An offensive lineman, for instance, has two jobs: make a hole in the defense for a back to run through, or make an impenetrable wall around a quarterback. That's all he does. That's why they look like fatsoes. But they're actually brick houses.

This is hard to put into words. It's fascinating to see these giant men move and fight in unison. Some have likened it to war. I think that is apt. Every drive down the field is like a military campaign in miniature.

And I'm a sucker for rules. I like games with lots of complex, often counter-intuitive rules. Really, good management and an understanding of the complexity of the game plays a larger role in success on the football field than in other sports, except (again) baseball. I know that in hockey and basketball (which are really just variations on soccer, if you think about the rules and strategies) do rely on gameplans and teamwork, but only in broad strokes. In football, every play is carefully scripted on both sides of the ball.

Really, that's all I can say here. We'd have to watch a game so's I could explain it better. Trust me, it's magnificent.

YES, THE STATS!!! I love stats. You know how many different stats you keep for football players? It's insane. Awesomely insane.

#62 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:11 AM

So your saying in Football(soccer) type sports its more the skill of the individual!
Wereas in A.football its more of a strategic game than a skilfull game
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#63 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:12 AM

I loves teh baseball too.

My poor Cubbies. Last World Series win was 1908.

But we were just warming up. Anytime now...anytime....:D

#64 User is offline   Asheroth 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:27 AM

Americans have, unfortunately, chosen to be masters of the only team sports that nobody else cares about, viz. American football - what we Aussies know as Gridiron - and baseball. It's a shame, really. :D

I never understood the entertainment value of 'football'. I like either a flowing game - soccer or rugby - or a slow, relaxing game like cricket. If you're going to be violent, be consistently violent. Don't bore the audience by huddling every five seconds.

I don't doubt that it's a violent game. The problem is that the violence is no longer vicarious. In rugby you can see a little man like George Gregan get absolutely wasted by some huge Maori warrior - both protected by a millimetre thick layer of synthetic material. Seeing a overly padded man run into another overly padded man just isn't as much fun, for some reason.

#65 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:31 AM

You Ausies have the same thing over there with Aussie Rules
at least you guys will ALWAYS be the worlds best at that!:D
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#66 Guest_Hedge_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:40 AM

I like both football (soccer) and American Football. I've grown up with soccer (being English) and love going to watch Crystal Palace attempt to win every week.

Both have their plus points though that make them fun to watch. Plus Pittsburgh have actually been half decent for the last few years with helps my interest levels.

However, just to be really odd I hate rugby and get bored to death watching it.

#67 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:38 PM

I'm not much into Rugby but I'm generally patriotic when watching most international sports. However, I hate English rugby. Must be my Manc scum roots but I can't support a team full of people called Olly, Austin and Marmaduke. Tossers!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#68 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:41 PM

The primary reason soccer hasnt caught on in the US (apart from the fact that basketball, baseball and football are so entrenched) is that you cannot fit in a commercial break for 45 minutes on end which is a nightmare for tv producers. Compare that to football where its more like a football break between all the advertisements and you see why the media isnt too eager to promote soccer.

But loads of people still play soccer. They dont be called soccer moms for nothing.

#69 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:47 PM

Yeh thats the same thing in Australia. Soccer is like the most played sport out any amongst youngens. but once they get older and most stop playing it starts being your typical sports; cricket, rugby afl that played most.

I think its cause soccer is so easy to play for anyone that hasnt played it before.

#70 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:58 PM

Fool said:

The primary reason soccer hasnt caught on in the US (apart from the fact that basketball, baseball and football are so entrenched) is that you cannot fit in a commercial break for 45 minutes on end which is a nightmare for tv producers. Compare that to football where its more like a football break between all the advertisements and you see why the media isnt too eager to promote soccer.

But loads of people still play soccer. They dont be called soccer moms for nothing.

Then I would question what kind of game can run on for 45 minutes without something interesting happening to stop play? And soccer could easily accomodate commercial breaks, if they were inclined to. Ball's out of bounds? Tweet! Commercial break.

Also, I'm still waiting for someone to explain cricket. Honestly, I want to know how to play. I've tried to figure it out from watching, but I don't get it.

#71 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:24 PM

Who says you have to stop playing when something interesting happens?

Cricket? Well...

You got the bowler who throws the ball at the batsman. Now assuming the batsman hits the pole a number of things can happen.

1. The ball goes beyond the boundaries of the playing field without touching the ground (sorta like a home run). Batsman's team gets 6 pts.

2. The ball goes beyond the boundaries of the playing field but touches the ground before doing so. Batsman's team gets 4 pts.

3. Someone catches the ball before it touches the ground. The batman is out.

4. Generally if its a good hit (ie. it doesnt look like anyone is going to pick up the ball in the near future) the batmen (there is always 2) will start running back and forth between the wickets (the wooden poles on the field). Each time they reach the other side they get a point. Now if someone picks up the ball after its hit the ground he will try to knock down the wickets either by throwing the ball at them directly or by throwing the ball at someone who's close to them and who can just touch the ball to the wickets. If the batsmen is not at his wicket (there's a line) when someone knocks it down he's out.

If the batman does not hit the ball:

1. The ball hits the wickets. The batsman is out.

2. The ball hits the leg protector thing. The umpire (think referee) has to judge whether the ball wouldve hit the wicket if the leg hadnt gotten in the way. If he thinks that it wouldve the batsman is out.

3. The ball is caught by the guy standing behind the wicket. Now if the batsman has stepped out of his wicket area (beyond the line) the guy can touch the ball to the wicket and the batsman will be out.

Right so each team has 10 (i think) batsman. They play 50 overs (in a normal match) with 6 balls per over. The game is either over when all batsmen are out or when all overs are played. After that the teams switch.

Hope that made sense.

#72 User is offline   garden_rake 

• First Sword

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

Sonnyboy said:

Then I would question what kind of game can run on for 45 minutes without something interesting happening to stop play? And soccer could easily accomodate commercial breaks, if they were inclined to. Ball's out of bounds? Tweet! Commercial break.

Also, I'm still waiting for someone to explain cricket. Honestly, I want to know how to play. I've tried to figure it out from watching, but I don't get it.

crickets a good laugh when you're playing with a couple of mates in a park.... all you need then is a tennis ball, a bat/stick of some sort to hit it with, a stick for the bowler to aim at, and a couple of random people to 'field' (stand around doing nowt)

as for the complexities of the professional game.... i only know up to a point- it gets fairly complicated...

EDIT: i think its 11 players in a team fool- same as footy

#73 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:50 PM

Thanks Fool. I think that all makes sense. Questions:

1) By pole, are you referring to the bat/stick that the batsman swings? I was confused at that part.

2) Do the batsmen have to be running one after the other, or can one potentially catch up to and pass the other, if you know what I mean? I'm thinking of baserunners in baseball. It's illegal for a baserunner to pass the runner in front of him; is this the same principle as in cricket?

3) Who is the other batsman running? Is there a batting order (again, as baseball)?

4) By leg protector thing, are you referring to the batsman's leg? Like, if he's standing directly in front of the wicket? (btw baseball also has umpires :D)

5) The line you refer to, does this mark a boundary then? Is it a circle or box that the batsman must stay within, or simply a line that he must be on one side of?

6) So does each batsman get six balls regardless of how each one plays out? Then his "over" is over, and the next batsman comes in for his over?

Also, could you describe the playing field, please. Ie shape, size, boundaries, orientation, etc.

#74 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:25 PM

1. No. There are three poles sticking out of the ground behind the batsman (and also on the other side of the area they run through).

2. No they cant.

3. I dont understand.

4. Yes. They have like pretty big protection pads (cricket balls are hard and fast).

5. Simply a line.

Posted Image

Im talking about the popping creases.

6. No. Each batsman plays until he's bowled out. There are always two batsman on the field. If they arent dismissed in some way then they will play the whole game and the other batsman will never play at all.

As for the playing field, the pic above is the pitch in the middle. One batsman at each end. Bowling always in the same direction. Batsmen run back and forth.

#75 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:02 PM

to answer three theirs one batsmen on each side. when the ball is hit they can decide to go for runs. if this happens they will run across the pitch. swopping posotions. Now they can go for more runs or stay depending if its safe. If they stop on odd number of runs. the batsmen who hit the ball is now on the other side and his partner will face the next ball. overs dont mean anything except theirs 50 to a game and that each over is six balls. Its simply a measure of how many more balls the team has to score off

#76 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:18 PM

Okay...

As I understnad it then, two batsman start the game, and just take turns facing the ball, depending on how they've advanced, right? So where does the bowler throw from?

And are there other specific postions played by the defense? Beyond just wandering about?

Also, can you perhaps provide a glossary of terms? Wait, maybe I should just look that up online. Unless you WANT to provide a glossary. :D

#77 User is offline   StormofHeaven 

• Corporal

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:18 PM

Yea. Especially when Japan and Korea made it so far. Nobody puts any faith in Italy. I think they have a great chance to win it. Rooney has to control his temper which he hasn't yet. Prediction: He will get kicked out.

#78 Guest_Brick Tamland_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:36 PM

Invariably the home nation will probably reach the final, as has happened in almost all of the previous world cups. So expect Germany to bore their way to the semi final/final and we'll be treated to a dull 90mins of cagey, passing the ball around football that will be decided by either one goal or a bloody penalty shoot out.

Rooney will not get kicked out of the tournament, he will probably end up as player of the tournament. Other players to watch include Robinho (Bra), Messi (Arg) and Adu (USA) if he gets picked and then if he gets played. Although I can't see how the Americans cannot play him, it'll get the same sort of coverage like Pele winning the World Cup when he was only 17.

Italy are chokers of the highest order having done nothing recently except lose the Euro 2000 final which they should've won, almost sending the French to sleep.
Argentina their best chance in a long long time to win, they have the individuals like Brazilians it just depends if they can play as a team.
England if they can actually choose and agree on the right formation then they will go far. Drop Rio and Lampard, play Parker & Gerard in midfield and Sol & Terry in defence and hope Rooney doesn't get injured again.
Spain if they qualify they will also choke like the italians, a team of individuals who play for themselves it seems and not the country.

Hopefully an African team can go far, either Nigeria or Cameroon. Maybe convince Roger Milla out of retirement!

#79 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:40 PM

Brick Tamland said:

Hopefully an African team can go far, either Nigeria or Cameroon. Maybe convince Roger Milla out of retirement!

Except neither have qualified :D

Wayne Rooney is pure scum. There's no denying the fact! And I'm from the red side of Manchester (yes there is one!).
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#80 Guest_Hedge_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:48 PM

AJ for Engerland!!!!!!

Andy Johnson is one of the top English strikers but he won't make the squad because Sven likes some lanky waste of space (Peter Crouch)

I think England will mess up badly which will be sad but at least we can get a new manager then.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users