• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sport (merged thread)

#21 User is offline   cruz1701 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:29 PM

I know I'm not alone in thinking this but I may as well say it first. Football is a game played by wimps, and overpaid ones at that. Someone comes near then knocks them a little bit and they are on the floor in agony.

American Football is nearly as bad as at the end of the day its not like there are hocky pucks going however fast they go, or cricket balls going 90mph and faster aimed straight for you balls. Just another team who are equally protected. And even neglecting that its so boring to watch. I mean I tried to watch teh superbowl last year and it made curling look fast paced and exciting. Get the ball, hold it for a minute shout some random words which mean a certain play, throw ball dance around move forward a foot and repeat (with an advert break inbetween) until the other team get the ball (then an even longer advert break). Then you swap to your other half of the team as players can't do more than either go forward or stop someone else going forward. Its more fun to watch ebdon in his most cautious mode.

Rugby is quicker, if only for the lack of adverts, a lot quicker if you watch league (which is similar to aussie rules I think). The players aren't so stupid as they accidentally kill people so much that the sport's future could be called into question, I'm sure some people have died but you can die doing most things, they do intentionally harm the other team but thats all part of the fun. And they can tackle without pads, and please don't try and tell me American footbll players are more aggressive as thats just b*llocks. (Where's :D when you need it!)

And if you want a game of skill play snooker :D

#22 Guest_Tuftie 27_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:29 PM

I'm an englishman, and therefore naturally a big fan of playing rugby, field hockey and, if nothing else is availible, football/socer call it what you will. but there are 2 sports ive always wanted to play, ice hockey and american football. they look prety damn fun. To be honest i would play any competitive sport and enjoy it. People call american footballers unfit, soccer players wimps but when it comes down to it, if you play sport at a professional level, you HAVE to be fit and you HAVE to be able to take a few knocks. American footballers go off so easy because they play so intensely. Footballers get injured so easy because verything in heir bodies is so tense and at their level, they carry so many small injuries form game to game its a mircale any team can find 11 players. So, to put it bluntly, stop taking the piss out of all these sports and gang up on netball instead.

#23 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:44 PM

Cause, that was a terrific plan, because they scored, right? The ball simply has to cross the plane into the endzone while in the carrier's control. That seems reasonable to me. See, nobody would have expected the quarterback to actually try carrying the ball in himself, so that's why it worked.

And "pass down the line hut 77 fake" isn't an actual quote. Occasionally, when the offense lines up it is clear that their intended play is unlikely to succeed against the defensive array. Or sometimes the quarteback just wants to move the ball quickly with no huddle. So instead of telling his team what they're about to do, he calls an audible -- a code that hopefully the defense doesn't get. (Stereo)typically, this is a combination of a colour and a number (Blue 32 or Red 28 or somesuch). The entire offense is expected to know what to do next. Watching the game, you don't need to know what they're yelling, because the code is secret. Just know that they are switching plans suddenly.

Megaphage, you should know that popularity does not equal superiority. If I made the same argument to you about music, you'd laugh your ass off. Think of it this way -- the sport you call football is like rock music -- simple to play, basic rules, not much thought required. The sport I call football is like a symphony.

I'll grant you that soccer is a more "natural" sport. That doesn't make it better. It just makes it more of a kids game, like I said. And one reason American football has been slow to catch on is that it requires a great deal of institutional support to develop, which is difficult when it goes up against another deeply entrenched sport like soccer. Young people can play a version of football that ammounts to something closer than rugby. But they can't play football until they get access to a proper field and equipment. As an established sport in America, this is easy to come by. Every town in America has at least one football field, and almost every town has a football program for high school boys. This is true to a lesser extent in Canada as well. I think it's interesting that given the choice between soccer (the most accessible team sport there is) and football, North Americans tend to choose football. As it is right now, Europeans don't really have that choice, so they stick to the least imaginative sport ever... soccer.

#24 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:57 PM

I don't think you know what you're talking about if you think American football players are wimps. They do get injured often, but they rarely come out of the game for longer than a play or two barring serious injury. They do play with cracked and broken bones (not with shattered bones, obviously), with torn and pulled muscles, with concussions, and all manner of personal injuries. And they get these injuries wearing what is essentially armour (designed by engineers with frigging Ph.D's) that probably costs more money than I made last year. Yeah, rugby players are tough, but there's a reason Americans don't watch rugby, and it's not that the sport is too violent. American football players don't just tackle, they crush.

But I do understand how difficult it is to understand American football. It's not a natural game by any means. I for one don't understand cricket, and I certainly wouldn't say anything bad about it without knowing how it works. I will suggest that it looks odd to me, but I was raised on baseball, so cricket is confusing. That's one game I'd like to have explained to me.

#25 User is offline   garden_rake 

• First Sword

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:06 PM

Sonnyboy said:

Cause, that was a terrific plan, because they scored, right? The ball simply has to cross the plane into the endzone while in the carrier's control. That seems reasonable to me. See, nobody would have expected the quarterback to actually try carrying the ball in himself, so that's why it worked.

And "pass down the line hut 77 fake" isn't an actual quote. Occasionally, when the offense lines up it is clear that their intended play is unlikely to succeed against the defensive array. Or sometimes the quarteback just wants to move the ball quickly with no huddle. So instead of telling his team what they're about to do, he calls an audible -- a code that hopefully the defense doesn't get. (Stereo)typically, this is a combination of a colour and a number (Blue 32 or Red 28 or somesuch). The entire offense is expected to know what to do next. Watching the game, you don't need to know what they're yelling, because the code is secret. Just know that they are switching plans suddenly.

Megaphage, you should know that popularity does not equal superiority. If I made the same argument to you about music, you'd laugh your ass off. Think of it this way -- the sport you call football is like rock music -- simple to play, basic rules, not much thought required. The sport I call football is like a symphony.

I'll grant you that soccer is a more "natural" sport. That doesn't make it better. It just makes it more of a kids game, like I said. And one reason American football has been slow to catch on is that it requires a great deal of institutional support to develop, which is difficult when it goes up against another deeply entrenched sport like soccer. Young people can play a version of football that ammounts to something closer than rugby. But they can't play football until they get access to a proper field and equipment. As an established sport in America, this is easy to come by. Every town in America has at least one football field, and almost every town has a football program for high school boys. This is true to a lesser extent in Canada as well. I think it's interesting that given the choice between soccer (the most accessible team sport there is) and football, North Americans tend to choose football. As it is right now, Europeans don't really have that choice, so they stick to the least imaginative sport ever... soccer.

can you actually play football? and play it well? ahhhhh

and you think its soft? fine come down to my sunday league team and play ten minutes and i guarentee you'll be off injured/on the way to hospital.... not all football is this crap you often see on the telly with mincers diving around as if theyve been shot.... that really gets on my breasts..... real football is running out on a waterlogged pitch at 10am on an ice cold sunday morning and within the first minute having the ball blasted at your legs- ahh good times :D

and as for the name - it should at least try and describe the sport itself ie basketball, handball, and football - how often does a foot connect with the ball in american football? football is football how about calling 'american football' something like 'lots of drugged up meatheads running out onto a pitch, running back off, running back on, running back off.......'

@ megaphage:

American footballers are unfit fatsoes. They stop play every 5 minutes to huddle up and shout YEAH! WOOOH! then they run for about 2 minutes and get knackered. Its dangerous cos they're afraid of getting heart attacks with all the strenuous activity.

that made me chuckle - well observed :D

#26 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:07 PM

cruz, league has almost no similarity to aussie rules, trust me;)

If I said what I thought about American Armoured Wrestling, I would have to ban myself. But, suffice to say, I'm not a fan:Erm:
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#27 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:09 PM

Wow. Knowing how you play, they must have been bad;)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#28 User is offline   garden_rake 

• First Sword

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:12 PM

@ Brood: ive been tippin the serbs for ages - theyve got a quality team and are always underated - the new czech rep if you will....

being irish im gutted theyre not there, we had france... we had them :D

England will be lumbered with far too much hype as always, cant really see past brazil for the win, but my top tips are - serbs, Swedes, USA and Ghana

#29 User is offline   Rich the Great 

• First Sword

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:15 PM

Rugby players are not just tough, at the top level of the union game they are the most balanced athletes in the world, by combination of speed, stamina, strength and suppleness. And there are rules and conduct to stop people getting seriously hurt or killed playing, and it needs a high level of expertise to prevent being injured in the tackle. It takes more than just bulk to play rugby effectively.

Having said that, I have never watched nor played American Football so couldn't pass comment on it.

#30 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:25 PM

American Fottball:
Someone blows a whistle. 20 jocks with egos the size of New york run into each other. A ball is thrown.
Everyone stops and talks about the rules for 5 minutes.
Repeat incessantly for an hour and a half until everyone in the audience is too drunk to care about the fact that this is the lamest sport to ever grace the world. And the fact that they stole the name from the greatest sport ever to grace the world, in an effort to make it popular.

Yes. I am bitter. It doesn't stop me being right though. :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#31 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:27 PM

I prefer the Canadian Football League over the NFL but I'm easy and will watch American footie if it's on. I'm a Bears fan and unlike the Cubs this year, we don't suck. Who-hoo!

#32 User is offline   garden_rake 

• First Sword

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:28 PM

Tiste Simeon said:

American Fottball:
Someone blows a whistle. 20 jocks with egos the size of New york run into each other. A ball is thrown.
Everyone stops and talks about the rules for 5 minutes.
Repeat incessantly for an hour and a half until everyone in the audience is too drunk to care about the fact that this is the lamest sport to ever grace the world. And the fact that they stole the name from the greatest sport ever to grace the world, in an effort to make it popular.

Yes. I am bitter. It doesn't stop me being right though. :D

:D

i do like 'any given sunday' though..... and hold Hunter S Thompson in the highest respect and he had a love/hate relationship with American Handball :D

#33 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:30 PM

If we don't get further than USA, I will NEVER hear the end of that one... So we'd better win or there'll be hell to pay...
Posted Image
I would actually like to see a team like Serb and Montenegro win... it would be nice to see all the high and mighty teams (England included) humbled by someone like that... as they nearly were by S Korea last time...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#34 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:34 PM

Tuftie... haven't seen you in a long time! :D
Brood - £50 That's stretching it a bit! Though if someone offered to pay for that one... :D And I reckon you should wear your England top... I am pondering it this friday...
Cause - Wales are current Grand Slam Champions and Fiji (apparently) are a team who could pull a few surprises... I know it sounds like two lame teams playing each other (probably are now I've said all this... :D typical!) but I still think it will be a good match to watch... and at the millenium stadium!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#35 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:39 PM

The best thing about American football is The Longest Yard. That made me chuckle, that did...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#36 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:54 PM

Like Greece in the Euro Champs, indeed. Its a hell of a lot more interesting to watch when the underdogs go further:)

#37 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:57 PM

RodeoRanch said:

I prefer the Canadian Football League over the NFL but I'm easy and will watch American footie if it's on. I'm a Bears fan and unlike the Cubs this year, we don't suck. Who-hoo!

I knew you'd be a CFL fan. So are you a Riders fan, like every good Albertan, or are you for Stamps or Esks?

#38 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:02 PM

I'm a Riders and Stamp fan. All my family are from Sask., so the Rider thing is in my blood. But I'm a Calgary fan too.

And Edmonton can suck it. Suck it hard. Damn the Esks/Oilers/whatever other Edmonton thing!:D

#39 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:04 PM

So who do you cheer for when Saskatchewan plays Calgary? I'll only accept "Calgary" if you just do it to piss off your dad. That's why I've been cheering against the Jays since '92.

#40 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:10 PM

Being a South African Rugby runs thruogh my veins
and having played both rugby and american football i can tell you all, first hand, that rugby is by far the more dangerous of the two (and the most painfull)
granted A.Football is a close second but the padding just makes it so much safer and less scary, when you go in for a takle you dont have to worry about the guy sticking his fingers in your eye while he's trying to hand you off because of the helmet(and thats the least of your worries e.g Head collitions in rugby are frequent)
And once you are done tackling you better get out of there cause they will purposefully stomp on you with those lovely metal studds to get you out the way, and that can be difficult at times espesially if a prop is lying on you!!
a rugby player can make up to 3 or four tackles before the whistle is blown to stop, wereas in A.football its one tackle and thats it whistle blows and you go have a drink or coffee or watever those yanks drink on the sidlines!
Anyway to make a long story short ive tackled and been tackled in both sports and the padding makes a hell of a difference!!
and dont come with this bullsh#t that they tackle in rugby and CRASH in Am.football the only reason they're allowed to crash is cause the equipment is so safe! and just because they'r not allowed to tackle without there arms being involved (essentially crashing with the shoulder) in Rugby doesnt mean
that they dont do it!!!
just see how many times a guy comes off the field bloody or concussed in a rugby game (wich happenes constantly) compared to A.football and my point will allready be made!!
but THEY'RE BOTH fun and thats what counts DOESN'T IT!!!!!!
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users