• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Netflix's SANDMAN TV series Filming now

#21 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:09 PM

I'm on ep 4, loving it too! Planned to read the book/comic at some point but this series has made it my next to read!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#22 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 August 2022 - 11:17 PM

I've spent 25 years wondering what this would look like as an adaptation, so for them to absolutely nail 24 Hours, The Sound of Her Wings and Men of Good Fortune in short order is incredibly impressive.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#23 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 August 2022 - 10:20 PM

2 chapters in.

I've only read the first 4? But they've absolutely nailed it so far.

Wifey on board too.

Really need to finish reading it

#24 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:02 AM

Only seen the first episode, but wow. Really obliterated my expectations. The episode basically spanned the first comic and captured the vibe insanely well, while still doing its own thing. Introducing the Corinthian from the start (no spoiler really, he was in the trailers) is an interesting choice. You also got a lot more fleshing out of bit characters like Roderick and Alex, which makes the story all the more appealing. I did get less of a sense of time passing for Morpheus than in the comics and the rather sudden jump from 1936 to the present day was a tad jarring, but I understand the choice because it really gave a chance for the other characters to get rounded out. Charles Dance is a bloody national treasure.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 07 August 2022 - 07:04 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#25 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:52 AM

Really enjoying it so far. Ep 6 "The Sound of Her Wings" is one of the most interesting and entertaining episodes of TV I think I have ever seen. Big call I know, but I stand by it.
Coming after ep 5 which was the rather fucked up "24/7" (from what I have read on teh interwebz I am glad it was toned down from the comic) I found it quite a relief.

EDIT: I did however raise an eyebrow at
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 07 August 2022 - 08:45 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#26 User is online   champ 

Posted 09 August 2022 - 06:49 PM

Just finished this up... wow, a top quality show I absolutely loved it!

Eps 5 and 6 are two of my favourite eps of any show I've seen in a long time, just captivating viewing!

I felt it did slow down a bit towards the end but that was only minor and probably felt that way as the previous eps were so epic!

Tehol said:

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 August 2022 - 06:54 PM

champ, on 09 August 2022 - 06:49 PM, said:

Eps 5 and 6 are two of my favourite eps of any show I've seen in a long time, just captivating viewing!

I felt it did slow down a bit towards the end but that was only minor and probably felt that way as the previous eps were so epic!

I'm not that far into it, but so far I like how some of the dialogue is taken directly and verbatim from the actual comics. Some of Death & Dream's convos for example are nearly verbatim and it's a nice touch.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28 User is online   champ 

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:01 PM

QuickTidal, on 09 August 2022 - 06:54 PM, said:

champ, on 09 August 2022 - 06:49 PM, said:

I'm not that far into it, but so far I like how some of the dialogue is taken directly and verbatim from the actual comics. Some of Death & Dream's convos for example are nearly verbatim and it's a nice touch.

I've just started the audio book for the first time so looking forward to seeing/hearing some of this stuff and I'll rewatch the season once I'm finished with the book, can't wait to catch stuff like that.

Apparently the two eps I mentioned are big moments in the comics and translated well over to the screen so hopefully you won't be disappointed! I don't see how you could be tbh!

Edit:

Actually you can throw in ep 4 too for epic viewing, there is a certain sequence in that episode I must have watched five times now, just a stunning show overall!

This post has been edited by champ: 09 August 2022 - 07:11 PM

Tehol said:

#29 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:42 PM

Only making it through one episode a night so I'm yet to get to episodes 5 and 6. But I know what they are by their episode titles and I can't wait! They have done this so well and I can't think of another TV adaptation that has stayed so faithful to the source material while keeping it unique...

Champ, the audiobook is the absolute greatest I never thought they'd be able to get such a good adaptation of a graphic novel!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 09 August 2022 - 08:34 PM

I downloaded all of the episodes for our flight to Madrid. Super excited. I held off watching knowing I had a good chunk of time.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#31 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 August 2022 - 03:11 AM

2 episodes in.... this is so SO VERY GOOD.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#32 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 August 2022 - 07:08 AM

So I watched the episode 24/7... The diner scene is one of the more memorable ones in the books for various reasons. The episode is... Toned down somewhat and it is no less horrifying for that. I think they were probably careful how they approached that one and I'm so glad they were because it is still incredibly well done without being so extreme (which I'm sure they could have done but they might have lost impact in the "look how much we can get away with portraying!")
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#33 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 August 2022 - 08:03 PM

I'm not crying at episode 6 The Sound of Her Wings YOU'RE CRYING AT EPISODE 6 THE SOUND OF HER WINGS!

Also I'm so glad that my one of my favourite stories ever is in this episode!
Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#34 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 August 2022 - 06:55 AM

Watched ep 5 last night, that's as far as I have read, echoing Tiste, they toned it back but managed to leave it dark as hell. Superbly done

#35 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 August 2022 - 08:57 PM

Watched the first three episodes. Really impressed with the quality.

Been ages since I read the comic, so can't really compare but they definitely nailed the presentation.

I like the actor they found to play the Sandman. He looks the part. Wish they made him less human though.

They should have bleached his skin tone and made his eyes covered in shadow or at least made the eyes black. Basically he should seem more supernatural and unnerving.

#36 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:17 PM

Finished it tonight. Utterly superb piece of TV craftsmanship. Stayed faithful to the plot and themes of the comics while retaining a unique manner of telling the stories. They got all the big decisions right IMO and I'm sure they'll get a second season greenlit if they haven't already. I for one want to see them handle the conference in the dreaming where he has to decide who gets hell. That'll be sweet!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#37 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 August 2022 - 06:46 AM

Just watched episode 6. Wonderful episode. Love the concept of living through the ages and always having a thirst for what comes next.

And in such a stark contrast to episode 5 and that Diner business.

#38 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:53 AM

Just finished. Thoroughly enjoyed. Will definitely watch Season 2.

But you know what? If they never did another season, I'd be OK with it ending here as a great self-contained story.

Wonderful story, great characters, excellent direction, cinematography, casting and acting. This should be used as an example in screenwriting classes of how to take an already-great story and not fuck it up.

Nine and a half fucked up dreams out of ten. :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 14 August 2022 - 11:56 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#39 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 August 2022 - 05:28 AM

Macros, on 12 August 2022 - 06:55 AM, said:

Watched ep 5 last night, that's as far as I have read, echoing Tiste, they toned it back but managed to leave it dark as hell. Superbly done

Thirded.

VERY well done.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#40 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 August 2022 - 06:30 AM

Abyss, on 15 August 2022 - 05:28 AM, said:

Macros, on 12 August 2022 - 06:55 AM, said:

Thirded.

VERY well done.

Wait till you get to the
Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic