Malazan Empire: Ghost of Tsushima - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ghost of Tsushima chop chop slash slash!

#181 User is offline   Bapop 

• Lord of the Dining Tray
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:31 PM

Got it on the recent Days of Play sale and it's one of my top ever games. The cinematic feel to all the cutscenes and camera angels coupled with a fighting system that made me feel as if I had mastered it. Put about 60 hours into it due to just exploring and it felt like way less than that.
"I will live forever or die trying"

#182 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:41 PM

Not sure how far along you are but there is a story mission that is the one of the best (I dare even say the best) I've played in any open world game.

#183 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:34 PM

I agree with the mission quality. I do think the standoff system got a little old, but hey, the rest was great.

At multiple points, I thought this made me feel like the Prince of Persia games with significant improvements.

I think I did 99% of the extra missions and item grabs before putting the game down.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#184 User is offline   Bapop 

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:43 PM

I've finished it. Really enjoyed the stories and how they showed the everyday life of and complexity of regular people.
Spoiler

#185 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:39 AM

I never tired of challenging bandits and cutting down five of them, with five pricise sword strikes.

Was Ghost of Tsushima the best game of 2020?

#186 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:23 PM

Supposed to be a stand alone expansion. Since we are coming up to the year anniversary of the Ghost of Tsushima release, I'm hoping to see something official by next month.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 25 June 2021 - 12:25 PM

#187 User is offline   Bapop 

Posted 26 June 2021 - 09:25 AM

That sure looks promising. Ghost was such a fun game so I'd love some new content for it.

#188 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 June 2021 - 11:06 PM

Rumor so far, but it seems pretty legit. I will be highly disappointed if Ghost of Ikishima is a lie.

#189 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 27 June 2021 - 10:12 AM

I'd just like an update that gives the existing island more depth. I've finished the game, and it would be satisfying to walk the island, stopping at inns, playing mahjong, eating, getting challenged by swordsmen wanting to make their name.
The land seems strangely empty though, bandits are clone groups with no reward for beating them, there are no more duels, and you can't interact with people unless they were specific quest givers.

I suppose I'm unfairly comparing it with a game in my head where you get to be a wandering ronin looking for work, while on a quest to learn different sword techniques from different masters...
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#190 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:07 AM

I would like that also, but doing so without sacrificing what they have done so well compared to other open world games. I would hate to see GoT become like so many of the Ubisoft titles, where the world is bloated with a lot of different systems, but they feel uninspired or hollow and not very interesting after trying them out a few times. Don't ruin what they have - exploration of beautiful, picturesque locations and engaging story (and side missions). I'll happily travel along and ignore bandit groups and find it endearing when I see the stray deer or bear.

#191 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:07 PM

It was exactly one year ago that I was full steam ahead in my play through of Ghost of Tsushima. What a game, what an expirence.

What do you guys remember about your play through? What stands out to you, now that you've had some distance from it? I remember I was all in with that opening sequence. Might be the best opening, even better then (maybe), the opening of The Last of Us.

#192 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:56 PM

Oh snap, it's out today. Started an update last night that must be required in advance of the Director's Cut upgrade.

#193 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 21 August 2021 - 07:24 AM

I just saw the update makes the duels repayable so I'm totally back in there!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#194 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 August 2021 - 01:27 AM

It's really cool. You don't have to fast travel to each replayable duel or Mongol camp, instead there is an option on the map [square button] over each location that is used for replay.

Also, there are two new letters ("A Family's Escape") in your Collections > Artifacts > Key Items menu. These show up with the patch and you don't have to upgrade to the Director's Cut to get them. Their purpose looks like they are setting up the Iki Island story.

There is also a new mode in Legends called "Rivals", which is locked and coming soon. This mode sounds interesting in that you compete against other teams and can set traps. No direct pvp, and I don't know the full details but I'm definitely going to try it out.

#195 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 August 2021 - 07:47 AM

I finished Subnautica last night so putting this on later. Just being able to replay the duels will be great, best part of the game for me - all this additional content is going to be fun to discover.

#196 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 August 2021 - 11:51 AM

Damn it did like a 5 hour update the other night, I thought it was the new island, turns out that's separate and I've got to download that now.

#197 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 August 2021 - 02:12 PM

I did one of the duels. I'm very rusty, but I won solely on my dodging and having that skill that slows down your enemy so you can flank around and strike him from the back. I did nothing extra though, like change stance or use any special abilities. I did heal myself probably about five times. I'm going to need get back into the swing of things.

#198 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 August 2021 - 05:21 PM

This is why I wanted a replay feature. I fought and won before, but I wanted to do it better each time - test out which moves were better.

Just replaying a duel until its mastered will be really satisfying.

#199 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 August 2021 - 08:44 PM

Well that went as expected. Took a few attempts to finish, but replayed a duel just to get back into it.

On the island now, monkeys tamed, new skill to play with, off to explore.

#200 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 August 2021 - 06:07 PM

Only had time to do the opening part that unlocks Iki Island, so still haven't departed for the island yet. What's up with the new chanting Mongol shaman? Damn, they're creepy. I'm not sure what they add to the enemies. Do they buff their defense or something? I did notice they are more aggressive when that guys is chanting. Found myself in roll mode to escape the attacks.

[EDIT] Also, what the hell do these new Mongols do to the common citizenry that makes them need profound psychological therapy after they have decimated a village? Scary stuff.

[EDIT2] Oh yeah, we get some Jin family backstory in the opening section. Cool.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 23 August 2021 - 06:32 PM

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users