and HELLO CAPUSTAN!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#42 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 11 March 2020 - 04:12 PM

I love the way Envy just stops for a hot bath.

And gets a Segulah to hold the towels.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#43 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:47 PM

Just through Trotts challenge.

Still superb

#44 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:48 PM

I always forget just how much is in this God damned book. I'm like 450 pages in or something, and it's only getting going, their the siege which the conclusion of which would make for the end of an awesome book, but then we have basically another bloody novel binded to the end, another 300 pages of awesome in the pannion proper

#45 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:49 PM

View PostMacros, on 12 March 2020 - 12:47 PM, said:

Just through Trotts challenge.

Still superb

So much so. I loved how it subverted so many things right there.
The Challenger isn't a massive ogre of a warrior or some whipcord lean veteran type. He's a scrawny little kid with a knife ( who nearly wins).
Trotts stays Malazan style instead of embracing his inner Bargast or something.
The fight is like one paragraph.
And they both take brutal hits, Trotts just being tougher than the kid so he doesn't die immediately.
And he doesn't rise up and scream his triumph or something. he lies there while Mallet tries to keep him from dying.

#46 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:37 AM

I'm on p. 180.

Funny how things fade in memory. I have no recollection at all of Gruntle and co traveling to Saltoan. In my memory they show up at Capustan early on.

#47 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:23 AM

Have been traveling all day so I read from 25% to 80% on my kindle.

Echoing Macros on just how much is packed into this. You could see other authors wrapping it up with the fall of Capustan and its “relief”, but not here. More to go and I’m looking forward to it. Despite having read this several times, there is a lot I had forgotten. Plus a lot of great scenes.

#48 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:34 PM

Capustan is actually REALLY dense. SO MUCH interesting stuff happens.

And then you realize you're only a little more than halfway through the book!

#49 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:20 PM

Finished today, and echoing others so much dense material and with implications for later in the series. I had completely forgotten the resolution for Pannion. Does tie things up relatively neatly, so is this the most stand alone esque of the books, or is maybe DG more set up got that than MoI?

I still reckon I dont get half of whatever Kruppe hints at in all his speeches.

Edit: So Ganoes blesses the bridge burners in his head as he leaves Moon's Spawn (seriously Ganoes, dont even think the B word...) and then Dujek makes says he's one of them after the event. So does Ganoes get the same benefits as well as being Master of the Deck? So he double powers up across the book.

Also with him fighting the Kell Hunter, is he basically a soletaken hound now, and take on dessimbacklis (sp?).

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 13 March 2020 - 03:26 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#50 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:17 PM

View PostCyphon, on 13 March 2020 - 03:20 PM, said:

Finished today, and echoing others so much dense material and with implications for later in the series. I had completely forgotten the resolution for Pannion. Does tie things up relatively neatly, so is this the most stand alone esque of the books, or is maybe DG more set up got that than MoI?

I still reckon I dont get half of whatever Kruppe hints at in all his speeches.

Edit: So Ganoes blesses the bridge burners in his head as he leaves Moon's Spawn (seriously Ganoes, dont even think the B word...) and then Dujek makes says he's one of them after the event. So does Ganoes get the same benefits as well as being Master of the Deck? So he double powers up across the book.

Also with him fighting the Kell Hunter, is he basically a soletaken hound now, and take on dessimbacklis (sp?).

Pannion's story does not arise again in the series, so yah, done.

DG sets up Tavore's storyline, while MoI sets up Ganoes. Both run through the rest of the series but Tavore's is more significant or at least gets more screentime. That said, MoI does more worldbuilding but DG is more 'final'. So, um, yeah.

Ganoes has multiple power-ups, but we never see him directly involved with the Bridgeburners Ascendant.

It was a condor, not a Kell, and his aspect was 'shadow hound of shadow', not Deragoth, so no direct link to Dessimbelackis that we ever find out about.

#51 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:07 PM

Aye, poorly worded by me, sorry. I meant like Dessimbelackis rather than a direct link.

So not a soletaken then.

#52 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 March 2020 - 07:13 PM

We never learned exactly what happened to Dessi. There was the suggestion he went d'ivers shapeshifter with the last Deargoth, but it's as vague as can be.

Paran otoh seemed to manifest a 'shadow' of a Hound of Shadow. he didn't shapeshift, rather he sort of shared the space with a thing around him. Very different from soletaken, closer to what we saw Gruntle do with Trake's Legion.

#53 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:27 PM

I'm about 210 pages in and the Grey Swords are being introduced. Already I'm recalling the senseless and pointless sacrifice and betrayal of the Mortal Sword and 400 soldiers. Stupid, corrupt priests!

#54 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:40 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 March 2020 - 07:13 PM, said:

Paran otoh seemed to manifest a 'shadow' of a Hound of Shadow. he didn't shapeshift, rather he sort of shared the space with a thing around him. Very different from soletaken, closer to what we saw Gruntle do with Trake's Legion.

Makes sense that it's more a manifestation than soletakenism. I wonder if the manifestations are aspected to the persona of the god, the manifestetion of Heboric, Gruntle, Ganoes, what the other manifestations are for other houses/Warren's. Which again I guess are different to unveiling the Warren as Rake does in Coral.

View PostAptorian, on 13 March 2020 - 08:27 PM, said:

I'm about 210 pages in and the Grey Swords are being introduced. Already I'm recalling the senseless and pointless sacrifice and betrayal of the Mortal Sword and 400 soldiers. Stupid, corrupt priests!

The moral post mortem of Rath'Fener read to me as a indictment on power structures/hierarchies/politics rather than priests. Could be me projecting though.

I'd have no honour in this world, no way I'd have done as the 400 did.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 13 March 2020 - 09:45 PM

#55 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 March 2020 - 06:56 AM

Priests and politicians are one and the same when it comes to power.

I'm on p 236

Just read about Treach's death and Kilava sitting at his side. Damn near broke my heart.

And then there's Kilava's reunion with Tool and Toc communicating with Krul.

‘Enough,’ Tool sighed. ‘You and I are not of a kind, sister. We have never walked in step. I travel to the Second Gathering.’ Her sneer was decidedly unpleasant. ‘Think you I did not hear the summons?’ ‘Made by whom? Do you know, Kilava?’ ‘No, nor do I care. I shall not attend.’ Tool cocked his head. ‘Then why are you here?’ ‘That is my business.’ She seeks … redress. The realization flooded Toc’s mind, and he knew that the knowledge was not his, but an Elder God’s. Who now spoke directly, in a voice that trickled like sand into the Malazan’s thoughts. To right an old wrong, heal an old scar. You shall cross paths again. It is, however, of little consequence. It is the final meeting that concerns me, and that will be years away in all likelihood. Ah, but I reveal unworthy impatience. Mortal, the children of the Pannion Seer are suffering. You must find a way to release them. It is difficult – a risk beyond imagining – but I must send you into the Seer’s embrace. I do not think you will forgive me. Struggling, Toc pushed his question forward in his mind. Release them. Why? An odd question, mortal. I speak of compassion. There are gifts unimagined in such efforts. A man who dreams has shown me this, and indeed, you shall soon see for yourself. Such gifts … ‘Compassion,’ Toc said, mentally jarred by the Elder God’s sudden departure. He blinked, saw that Tool and Kilava were staring at him. The woman’s face had paled.

So it is Krul who made Toc choose to travel incognito among the Tenescovri. I had forgotten this detail and just remembered the soldier being wide eyed stupid to leave his companions.

Lot of manipulation going on.

#56 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 14 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

It's easy to miss on a first read, I think. Krul is manipulating so much here; his appearances throughout the book basically explain the movements of all the players.

This book is so damned good.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#57 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 March 2020 - 07:22 AM

It is an excellent read.

Just read the passage where Envy meets Krul in his temple p. 239-242. So much information packed in three pages. The Tiste Edur hinted at two books before they appear. The Crippled God. The chaining. The rivalry between Hood and Dassem. The ripples of the falling out. Kruls connection to the magic system.

I was reeling after reading all that the first time.

#58 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:09 AM

P. 258

‘The Deck of Dragons will resist you, Chained One. Your House will be … assailed.’ ‘It was ever thus. You speak of the Deck as an entity, but its maker is dust, as we both know. There is no-one who can control it.

Have we ever heard anything about the maker of the deck? I seem to recall that the Deck of Dragons origin is one of the remaining mysteries of the universe.

#59 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 March 2020 - 02:09 PM

P. 305

This is a pivotal scene. Had Toc not asked Envy to spare the army, maybe they would had cut the heart out of the Tenescovri and in turn Capustan may not have fallen.

And here I am, all but forgotten. Toc reached a decision. ‘Have fun, all of you,’ he said, backing up the side street. As the ay and the hound chewed through the screaming mass, Lady Envy spun, eyes wide. ‘What? Where are you going?’ ‘I’ve embraced the Faith,’ he called out. ‘This mob’s heading straight for the Malazan Army – though it doesn’t know it yet! And I’m going with it!’ ‘Toc, listen! We shall obliterate this pathetic army and that pale runt leading them! There is no need—’ ‘Don’t wipe them out! Please, Envy. Carve your way clear, yes, but I need them.’ ‘But—’ ‘No time! I’ve decided. With Oponn’s luck we’ll meet again – go find your answers, Envy. I’ve got friends to find!’ ‘Wait—’ With a final wave, Toc whirled and ran down the street.

#60 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 March 2020 - 02:43 PM

P. 312

I strongly urge you to speak with Prince Jelarkan—’ ‘You talk too much, wolf.’ Itkovian fell silent, his eyes narrowing. ‘Your mouth will be too busy when I bed you,’ she continued. ‘I will insist.’ The Shield Anvil swung to face Brukhalian and Karnadas as they arrived. He saluted. ‘There’s some colour in your face, sir,’ the Destriant observed. ‘Which was not the case when you returned from the walls.’ Hetan barked a laugh. ‘He is about to lie with a woman for the first time.’ Karnadas raised his brows at Itkovian. ‘What of your vows, Shield Anvil?’ ‘My vows remain,’ the soldier grated. ‘The Barghast is mistaken.’ Brukhalian grunted. ‘Besides, aren’t you in mourning, Hetan?’ ‘To mourn is to feel a flower’s slow death, hill bear. To bed a man is to recall the flower’s bright glory.’ ‘You’ll have to pluck another,’ Karnadas said with a faint smile. ‘The Shield Anvil has taken monastic vows, alas—’ ‘Then he mocks his god! The Barghast know of Fener, the Tusked One. There is fire in his blood!’ ‘The fire of battle—’ ‘Of lust, scrawny pup!’

I love, Hetan.

Fuck Dust of Dreams. I don't think I'll ever forgive Erikson for what he did to that woman.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users